Racing Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing Stories

I love racing stories. Especially about rule bending. If you have a chance, listen to the Dale Jr download podcast episode with Gary Balough. I’m only 20 minutes in and he’s already talking about pumping mercury from one frame rail to another, 60lb steering wheels and quick change gears in his fire suit pockets. Pure gold.

Lol. He won a race one night down south, pissed off the locals so one of them threw a cinder block off the overpass as they left and landed on the windshield. The guy driving the truck pulled a U’y and stopped at the overpass and started firing his 9mm up at the bridge.

I’ve got some good racing stories from my youth, but this is something else. Lol

Comment

Nice I love that stuff. Will listen.

Comment

Great Short video about Porsche’s 1 and only Indycar (CART) win at Mid Ohio.

Comment

This thread isn’t going anywhere. I’d rather read this crap than political, disagreement shit. Even if I stoop to that level. Lol. I have some pretty good racing (lots of off track) stories. I encourage others to put their stories out there. Weather it be technical or shenanigans it’s welcome here.

If you don’t like my stories, screw you, I think they are funny.

Comment

Story #1.

Oval racing snowmobiles. Back in 2008 I was racing top level snowmobiles. One of our biggest races of the year was in Valcourt. It’s the home of Skidoo. Stupid fast track. 105mph into turn one on ice. Turn 3/4 feel like a super speedway. Brief lift, back on it, at the top, absolutely flying.
            Its also in a field. And always stupid cold. The studs and carbides cut the ice and create snow dust. If it’s cold it’s worse. I went out in practice and it’s -30. Snowdust is just brutal. 3 laps and you are doing 100mph and can’t see a thing. Through the heat races I’m really struggling. I’m lifting early trying to spot the pylons on the inside of the track so I know where I am. It’s literally a white blanket.
            One of my competitors (Uncle Jacques Villeneuve) has a million laps around this track. So I go to his trailer and have a chat.

me - “JV, how the hell do you deal with the snowdust, I just can’t see”

JV - (in a super heavy French accent) “ In practice, I count how long I am on the gas. 1..2..3..4..5. Then during the race, when I can’t see, I just count, and then I turn”.

It was at this point I learned the he was a raging lunatic.

Comment

Ive really enjoyed the content you posted above, listened to a couple of Jrs podcasts since. Hallie Deagan has a pretty good instagram so it was neat to get more backstory there.

Personal stories even more appreciated!

Comment

2 quick ones from our stockcar days. I’m not 100% sure but I believe both of these happened either back to back weeks or atleast very close together in the season.
                We were running a CASCAR late model at Capital City every week. One night on the way home my grandparents van blew the transmission. Called a tow truck, got it picked up. They hopped in the truck, and 2 of our crew guys went and rode in the trailer the rest of the way. Well the next week, my dad goes out in practice and spins the very first corner. Strange because the tires weren’t warm and he shouldn’t have been hustling the car yet. No damage or anything and he rolls back into the pits. Doesn’t even stop at the pit stall, just rolls by and throws a beer bottle out the window. One of the crew guys had left it under the seat the week before.

This ones not as funny. Atleast at the time it wasn’t.
                Again in practice, dad had run a dozen or so laps and into turn 3, the throttle stuck wide open. Turns out a zip tie melted and jammed the linkage.
                Back then it was still the guardrails in the corners. Dad manages to get the master switch off before hitting the rail but doesn’t get slowed down hardly at all. The rail folds into a launch ramp and sends him literally up and outta the park. Down the embankment and into the bush. He said He can imagine what Bo and Luke felt like. The car actually sheared a light post off 8’ off the ground. Dad was sore, but was ok.
                We busted our asses, replaced the Rad, control arms, sent a spindle into town to get welded etc. We made it out in time for the feature with no fibreglass on the front half of the car and he managed to come from the back for a top 5 that night.

Comment

Trans Am Champion Racer Drives Around In A Giant Chicken

Comment

This one time, I ran over an axle....

Comment

Sean Rayhall talking about a couple crashes... still seems to be suffering from some concussion symptoms lol

Comment

I can relate to that all too well. I had a crash racing sleds at almost 100mph. GPS data showed the sled hit at 97Mph. I was right beside it. Rear suspension broke on corner entry. Through the 2 rows of hay bails, off the wall, back over the hay bails (think limp body cartwheeling) and back onto the track. Knocked out for 5 minutes. Talking gibberish and repeating myself 20 seconds after saying things. Two months later I was still having brutal headaches so went for an MRI. They found a small bleed still present in my brain.
                        Other than maybe some memory loss I have no effects now. Still can’t remember about 2 days worth before and after the accident.

stupid sled racing. I quit after that.

Comment

I had a good one bike racing but nothing that serious (thank god)
                          Novice Open at Shannonville, on a 2004 cbr1000rr. yeah, dumb already lol. Morning practice was wet, so had DOTs on. bike was sliding around a lot but very manageable. Afternoon practice (or quali maybe? I forget) it was cool but not wet anymore, except on the track edges. I put a different DOT race on, it was scrubbed in but needs more heat than the basically street tire i was running earlier. First lap seemed fine so turned it up a bit.
                          Coming onto the front straight, getting on the gas the back started to slide out. Held on the throttle steady, but it kept coming around, hit a wet spot (it seemed like) and revved right out. I was pretty much standing on the pegs trying not to get tossed, all i could see was the pit wall and it looked like it was gonna hurt. Bike went completely sideways, and my right hand got pulled off the throttle. as soon as it chopped, it tossed me over. I was still holding on to the left grip, trying to stay away from the wall, and i went ass-over-tea-kettle over the handlebars, hit the front tire and brake rotor with the top and visor on my helmet, and landed in front of the bike.
                          The bike ran over my arm and chest, launched in the air, and started flipping. I rolled around a couple times, and ended up sliding feet first down the straight watching my bike cartwheel end over end, then lay down, then barrel roll as the parts flew off of it. The hair on the back of my neck was on end, since I had just passed two other bikes a couple corners before, and was hoping they would avoid me since i was right in the racing line.. I could hear them start to accelerate as I was on the ground, and then roll off .. whew.
                          As I got up, the flag man came over to make sure I was ok, and also picked up the dash of the bike that landed near his feet.
                          I went to medical, they said don't race. I said my bike isn't repairable anyway lol.. Went and had a couple beer (big mistake) while loading up what was left of the bike and another racer came over to chat. He said he heard a litre-bike rev up as he was getting his bike prepped in the pits, and looked over at the track to see my bike horizontal in the air above the wall and thought "well that's not good" lol.
                          The bike had quite a bit of damage. Exhaust was destroyed, both wheels, all 3 rotors, the forks, the swing arm was bent, the rear subframe was broken in 2 (or 3), the fuel tank was dented, the foot pegs were trash, the bars i think were trash, the dash was cracked but still worked.. most of the bodywork was destroyed.
                          That ended the racing due to lack of funds. but I did end up putting the bike back "together" with the bottom race belly, the street uppers, some used parts off a 2007, a penske shock but left the tail and tank cover off among other things. rode it around on the street for a bit before the engine started acting up, parted it out from there.

i'll try to find some pics to add .. anyways, beer was a bad idea. i think i had 2 or 3 and i ended up with the worst hangover of my life. which is saying a lot.

this was "back together"

7119_151673043383_509983383_3450173_7939482_n.jpg

Last edited by Mikeman; 09-04-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Petawawarace View Post
                            I can relate to that all too well. I had a crash racing sleds at almost 100mph. GPS data showed the sled hit at 97Mph. I was right beside it. Rear suspension broke on corner entry. Through the 2 rows of hay bails, off the wall, back over the hay bails (think limp body cartwheeling) and back onto the track. Knocked out for 5 minutes. Talking gibberish and repeating myself 20 seconds after saying things. Two months later I was still having brutal headaches so went for an MRI. They found a small bleed still present in my brain.
                            Other than maybe some memory loss I have no effects now. Still can’t remember about 2 days worth before and after the accident.

stupid sled racing. I quit after that.
                            RE

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Comment

lol, sorry couldn't help it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X