Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champcar,Chump Car,AER,CER endurance racing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned out it needed a distributor AND an ECU. Go figure.

Drove my full stint a bit late... daytime, then sunset, then twilight, then full darkness. It was awesome fun.

Meanwhile 626 is in first place in B class by dozens of laps. Closest competitors are both out (one had a big crash). So they just have to finish...

Comment

Shelby and Erwan spent 8 laps in the final session chasing each other. 522 has some engine issues that equalized it with 510. They really had a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by dbg View Post
        Shelby and Erwan spent 8 laps in the final session chasing each other. 522 has some engine issues that equalized it with 510. They really had a great time.
        We sure did.. a little late but here's what it looked like from inside the cars

Comment

Nice editing. Looks like lots of fun.

LOL @ Shelby trying to grab 6th gear on the back straight. That borrowed ECU's rev limiter was set way too low!

Comment

Do ChumpCar and ChampCar memberships transfer? Need to join for the April 14 race, don't want to buy twice if I don't need to.
            Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by faster View Post
              Do ChumpCar and ChampCar memberships transfer? Need to join for the April 14 race, don't want to buy twice if I don't need to.
              They used to, not sure now with this whole lucky dog racing thing-a-ma-jug

Comment

No. According to usa champcar they do not .

Not a lawyer.

Comment

I was told at Road Atlanta that ChumpCar Canada memberships were transferable until they expired. But mine had just expired, and I'm pretty sure they're all expired now.

Comment

I've sent an email to info@champcar.org, will see.
                    Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Faster and I doing Daytona on Saturday.

These are the dudes that came up to CK out CMSP and fell in love with the track.

We are pretty psyched. Kind of staying in a pish-posh hotel....Faster is in a Mazda 6.

My guys left last night from Rochester.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tbs View Post
                          Faster and I doing Daytona on Saturday.

These are the dudes that came up to CK out CMSP and fell in love with the track.

We are pretty psyched. Kind of staying in a pish-posh hotel....Faster is in a Mazda 626.

My guys left last night from Rochester.
                          Fixed. See you tomorrow T.
                          Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Totally awesome weekend with Inactv Motorsports, an Orlando based ChampCar team and T. Amazing racing, great food and cool people; so much awesome.

I have dreamed about driving at a track like Daytona for as long as I can remember; I never thought that the dream could come true. Last weekend the dream became a reality. Trying to sleep the night before I kept thinking about what Daytona would be like with 125 cars; I was nervous having only raced at CMP on a track with lots of room and point by passing, talk about jumping into the deep end! More than once the flight instinct nudged me but I pushed it aside and I am so glad that I did. Tony kept telling me how much I am going to enjoy the experience and that I would surely want to move up to the Calabogie Platinum Challenge this season. He was right on both counts.

1.1daytonapitroad.jpg
                            (8:30am Daytona Pit lane)

1.2daytonapitroad.jpg
                            (Inactv Pits before race start)

2daytonastart.jpg
                            (Green, Green, Green circa 9:10am)

4.1suitedup.jpg
                            (Suited up and ready to go)

I was third in the driver line up for our team and scheduled to race my two hour stint at 1pm. Suited up in full at 12:30pm in the 95-degree Florida weather; hot hot hot. I was ready but the number 2 driver, Marcus, announced at the very end of his stint that the clutch was slipping. We were in 40th position 125. Car comes in and the hood goes up, no fueling, no driver change, only head scratching. Verdict; rear main seal is done, oil was getting on the clutch and thus the slipping. I was told that the day was done… but that changed quickly. The team decided to switch the rear main seal on the Mazda 626. One of the team members went across the street to AutoZone and picked up a new rear main seal while the other guys were tearing the car down in the yellow Daytona garages.

6inactivfix.jpg
                            (Matt (left) and Allen (right) from Inactv, awesome guys who know their Mazda 626!)

My day wasn't over yet! Talk about a will to race, in about 2 hours the guys from Inactiv Motorsports change the rear main seal and I was headed out to the 31 degree banked track of Daytona. Holy Shit!

7readytogo.jpg
                            (Heeeeeeere we go!)

First interesting memory was when the cool suit switched on… oh wow, the rush of cool that came over me was a great feeling and so cool; pun intended. Heat fatigue will not be a factor. So here we go… I drive from the pits to the middle of pit row entrance and I'm off in the path of so many racing legends. Given the time 2 hour delay we have fallen back to 80th position overall.

8trackmap.jpg
                            (Daytona 24 Hours Rolex Course)

The 24 hour course pit exit is funny, such a narrow road mirroring turn 1 and 2. Then on the course to turn 3 right, 4 sweeping left, 5 right, 6 left and BAM, onto the oval and my first taste of the banking… I'm getting a few goose bumps even now thinking about what it was like hitting the banking for the first time WITH cars all around me, and lots of them passing me high and low. The feeling of being on the banking in turn 7 is much different than sims; very exhilarating. Look to your left and you see the ground, look to your right and you see sky. Finished with turn 7 and on the back straight heading to the Bus Stop. Wow… so far, then BAM so close, brake hard! A bit of wheel lock and then left, right, right, left, wow, that was cool. Now on to banked turn 11, banking feels steeper than 7. Cars still zinging by me, and me zinging by other… am I really doing this? And then across the line heading into turn 1. Turn 1 at Daytona could be called temptation; you feel like you have so much more room than you do, its like funnel. Many times on the sim I over ran turn 1 and went into the wall; but this isn't a sim and I felt like I was going to do it again! Brake, brake, brake! Whew, saved it. Lap 1 at Daytona done. OMFG. My first lap time was 2:43, very slow compared to the fastest time of the day with the car of 2:24 seconds, but I brought my fastest time down to 2:35 over the two hours I was behind the wheel and moved us from 80th place to 72nd. No contact except for on the last lap, turn 6. I was rear ended and spun around. WTF? I didn't even see anyone. Turns the Tuttle Motor Sports Mitsubishi Eeclipse car # 108 was acknowledging a black flag and didn't see me in turn 6. No damage to the car and my stint was over; back the pits and done for the day. And that was that.

So many fond memories were made. I LOVE the Bus Stop, down to third, left, right, right, left almost always with 100% throttle while driving over the curbs. Turn 12 banking felt steeper than turn 7; more than once I felt like water in a bucket sticking to the bottom with momentum and add to that a required up shift from 4th to 5th; simply wow. During one lap I split two BMWs going into the Bus Stop, holy cow that was fun. I gave the camera a little hang 10 at the point. Turn 1, when done right, I think I was able to do it right once, is awesome too. Funniest part of racing was a rolling chicane in the from a 1968 VW Bug that was racing… perhaps racing is the wrong word, they provided a rolling chicane service to help spice things up for the rest of the field.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by faster; 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM.
                            Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Epic. Good job dude.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool shirt

Comment

Working...
                                X