No announcement yet.

Calabogie Challenge Racing 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be super jealous if you get a rain race.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

i hope i run low - mid 30s today. we'll see what owen does though lol

Comment

Radar says changeable conditions for sure... was just raining here but was sunny.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

Geoff is racing.

that means rain.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morelap View Post
            Geoff is racing.

that means rain.
            And by raining you mean beers right?

Comment

Originally posted by 1morelap View Post
              Geoff is racing.

that means rain.
              Is that what was missing last year?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome back Geoff

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

So, my lap times were around 2:28.45, apparently. Not sure how that compares. Dayum, it's fun to be back out there, with some competition. Dayum!
                  Geoff Chislett
                  Principal Broker, Franchise Owner
                  Mortgage Alliance Ottawa
                  http://www.mortgagealliance.com/geoffchislett
                  613-227-8813

Ask me how you could win $100,000!

Comment

So DBG was nice enough to let me drive his car for the PT race.

Just before qualifying it starts to rain, I decide I'll throw on his old RS3's instead of the NT01's. Get out, do 1 lap and they red flag because of lightning... oh good...

We wait and the radar looks horrible so I leave RS3's on. Bad decision it cleared up, never rained again...

So I'm on old skinny tires, whatever. Start at the back with Grant as they gridded us randomly when you show up and I didn't really think it would matter for me without ever driving the car, figured everyone was going to go by anyways while I figure the car out.

First lap was a 2:30 not bad, brakes were weird, they would just lock with almost zero pressure. Too much brake for the tires I guess.

So here's my race in Video form (4 minutes all the exciting stuff).

1) Start, couldn't go with formula car in front, got squeezed out doh.
                    2) get stuck behind Mike driving Luc's car for a bit, get past pretty quick as I see the pack leaving us.
                    3) Catch back up to pack, woot.
                    4) 2:25 in video Almost Die .......
                    5) worried about temps all race....
                    6) Gather it up, try to catch back to pack, finally catch Geoff driving JP car.
                    7) The end.

Calabogie PT Race in DiffractionLimited Race Car - YouTube
                    Last edited by wing; 08-09-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Conflicting race for me, some great and not great.

Firstly, the old overheating issue seems to be finally behind me.

Ran 4 laps in qualy and temps stayed around 195! In the race, they eventually got up to 210F, and by the next corner back to 205. Awesome!

New alignment seemed to help with LF tire wear, finally nice and even, no crazy shoulder wear anymore. Turn in was improved but the rear might need a bit of toe-in (currently zero)

Race pace seemed "okay". Been playing with water/meth programming to bring down the AFR's a bit, Chris Nalley says it's dangerously lean. But I think I ran it too rich to compensate, I ran through 8 litres of water/meth mix lol between qualy and race!
                      So it probably ran a bit too rich instead, power seemed okay, a bit of backfiring on shifts.

Just missed out on a podium tonight.

Consistent I was though. Qualified only 4th with a 2:23. Ran the race and finished 4th with a 2:23 best lap.

Onto the next race! Still one point up!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Slick; 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

James, beauty shot of my passing Dave in 2. Normally I save that move for Luc

Crazy about the loss in 8. Strange that it just swung left like that...
                        Twice I've asked, and thrice you've ignored.

Comment

had to start from the back 8/8.. no quali so they went with first-come-first-served for some reason.
                          passed 5 cars on lap 1
                          hulaj spun so i ended up 2nd. .
                          got beat by richard nash, who also had the fastest miata lap by about 4 tenths.. his and hulaj's miatas are walking away on the straights now..
                          probably could have caught him if i didn't go off in quarry
                          twice
                          and also 5
                          and also lock up in 5 beside chris bernier who was also locked up
                          and also in 2 after nastruck (peter?) passed me before 1 and i caught back up before braking in 2 .
                          so many 2:37s (or more) that should have been 2:34/5s I kept closing the gap for a lap or 2 and then fucking up.
                          ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by i12xlr8 View Post
                            James, beauty shot of my passing Dave in 2. Normally I save that move for Luc

Crazy about the loss in 8. Strange that it just swung left like that...
                            Shame on me if you do it to me a third time!

Last night's race was amazing. After the last race I was down on power due to the high heat/humidity and a muffler change; something needed to be done. The inline small muffler Jay put on to replace the HKS (that blew it's top) was slowing the car down for sure as proven by Bret from BR Tuning (so awesome to have a tuner with a dyno at the track). The muffler was replaced with a regular high flow racing muffler. At the same time Jay suggested that I may want to consider a Password JDM ram air system. Since the S2000 is such a high revving motor I am assuming that it needs much more air at 6,000 + RPM to maintain power and the air should be cooler. My old K&N intake was a cone filter in the engine bay that just sucked in the hot air from the engine bay. The Password JDM system has a huge air scoop in front of the rad and a bunch of ‘voodoo’ before the plenum. Did a bunch of testing before the race and I still have some more bugs to work out but I am very happy with the results.

I was first in line to Qualy and I hammered it right from pit out thinking that the pending rain would shorten the session time. My pit outlap lap was 2:35 and it felt AMAZING; I was hoping to get a better time on a flying lap. On to the second lap of Qualy and Marc comes up behind me in Temptation and passes me… just to lead me to the black flag in 10. Qualy was called due to lightning. Back to the garage to wait it out. Pierre and I walk over to the pit lane to find out what is going on. The marshal tells us that we probably be running in the order we show up on the false grid. Pierre and I bring our cars to the false grid and wait some more. While we are waiting Pierre changes his car tires, almost all by himself in like 5 minutes. The man is a machine.

We are gridded in the show up order by class and the race starts. I haven’t had a lot of experience in the non-point by world of racing and Lew, Ted and Grant get me in 2 while Geoff is close behind pushing me hard. I get my eyes up an focus ahead and things settle down; I am behind Ted and start catching him. The most nose to tail racing I have ever done and lap after lap I am closing on him trying to figure out how to get by. My car feels faster but Ted doesn’t make it easy. Unfortunately an ECU/Heat gremlin we have been chasing happens and I have to back off a bit. After a short while the gremlin seems to go away and I am back at Ted. Out of Temptation and over the 9B hill we come across the unmistakable sight of a bear cub crossing the track! The first time I have ever seen a bear out side of a zoo. Ted and I are on the brakes hard as the bear get the right of way and finishes its track crossing. Okay, back to racing and pushing Ted. We get to 17 and I put my nose on the left and Ted and I basically go through 18, 19 & 20 door to door. I have never run so close to the inside of 20 as I did last night and I just hopped the car wouldn’t slide out too much and make contact with Ted. When I think of it I still feel the tires slipping on the inside pavement of 20. On to the front straight I pull away and I finish the most satisfying pass of my life so far. Next; focus on Grant. Since I started racing in PT I only saw Grant and Luc for a short amount of the time at the start of the race… last night I kept Grant in my sights for the entire race, and I dare say I may have been gaining on him during the finishing laps. Finished 3rd in PT2; the most satisfying race of my life. Thank you to TBS for your words pushing my to run in the non-point by world.

Only two races to go… I can’t wait to do it all again!
                            Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

As always I have put up the full race videos but the first 5 minutes of each is all that is worth watching. In both races I had cars close behind me for a while past that point but with no rear camera there isn’t much to see.

In GT my main battle was with Andre. Due to his meth problem (there are groups for that) he was way down on power and couldn’t pull away from me on the straights. That allowed me to keep up and eventually pass him until the rain got heavy enough to make the track slick then I couldn’t hold my lines anymore. Once he got by I let up to save the tires for my PT race. It did dry up and I MAY have been able to reel him back in had I kept pushing but we were fighting for 4th and he had just gained to much distance and the race had been shortened due to the lightening delay.

In PT I was gridded last and thought it was because I arrived late (had to finish the GT race) but found out afterwards about the first come first served decision. Kind of a strange one but understandable in the confusion of the evening.

This start was odd as usually in PT we don’t have a slow down in corner 1. Sometimes I have to let off and maybe tap the brakes but this time I was behind Ted Martin and had to hit the brakes hard, twice, before 1! Not his fault as he was stopping for those ahead of him but it gave me time coming out of 1 to see that everyone but Ted was heading left to set up for 2 and he was going in right too hot. So I followed him and held the inside while he slid out of my way and I took a few positions. I love that part

I battled with Ted, then Dave, then Ted again. Passed Dave in 2 and around the 4 minute mark passed Ted on the outside in Temptation although we were side by side from marshal station to marshal station, you just can’t see it on the camera. I don’t think I’ve ever held a pass on the outside there before. I kinda like it

Dave does eventually start catching up so I had to work to keep the gap close to the end and drag raced a Miata out of 20 and lost. Good times.

Comment

Tapatalk wouldn’t let me put this video in the last post. I’ll try to fix that later

Comment

Working...
                                X