No announcement yet.

Grant's Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny is hard mounted to the engine actually. Engine mounts could be softer than they should be. But the shifter itself is sloppy in the slot it's missing #2. #1 was also missing I replaced it. I can replace #2 as well.

Comment

I hope the tranny is solidly affixed to the engine... Still has a mount on the tail shaft, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeman View Post
        I hope the tranny is solidly affixed to the engine... Still has a mount on the tail shaft, no?
        nope

Engine mount and differential mount only. Transmission is hard mounted to the frame.

Comment

Yesterday was a great day indeed thank you Greg and Grant for planning and everyone else who showed up.

Left Montreal at 7am and booked it to the track; after I arrived it seemed like I didn't stop doing something until the end of the race. Between lapping, qually, donuts and racing the day flew by. The end of the race Lug Tread tasted SOOOOOO good.

Highlights include doing donuts on dated sticker winter tyres. I'm getting the hang of it sliding a car on dry asphalt and I'm looking forward to an open skid pad on Thursday to practice drifting and donuts. The race was very cool too and I impressed myself with my consistency of 21s but I am still dealing with an over heating issue. At the start of the race Doug got by me and I was happy thinking that I would rather be doing the chasing rather than defending. I was all over Doug for the first few laps trying to find a way by and Ted was close behind me. Lots of fun and lots of time to try and get by Doug and then the dreaded governor kicked in and my spark was being cut. Bret from BR Tuning put a rev limiter in based on a temp 220F. Flip the AIM SOLO2 to Temp and sure enough I am bouncing between 217F and 219F. The temp climbs quick when you are following someone close and the air in slip stream is not nearly as cool. So I back off a bit and cool, do another run at Doug and same thing. Crap. Passing James on the inside of 16 I tried to leave him a lot of room and I see him cut the grass in my mirrors. Here I am saying "Sorry James" out loud like he can hear me... such a Canadian thing to do. Never did get close enough again to Doug after that to try another run all though I kept Doug and the second place guy in my sights for the rest of the race. Not much else happened until the end except Pierre coming up to lap me and I see him go off in Quarry behind me. I start saying sorry again thinking it was something to do with me. Pierre gets back on it and gets by me... and then next time in Quarry I see him go off AGAIN in 19 in front of me. After I reminded him that the Vette is not a 4X4! Both James and Pierre said that their offs were not because of me so that was cool. Finished the race in 4th.

Interesting that my RS4 times were the same as my NT01 times, maybe we should all just race on RS4,tires last a lot longer and don't cost as much. (:

And I need to find a way of getting my coolant temp down a bit. 220 is top of the normal operating range and I'm on the threshold of boiling for sure and I know I have boiled more than once. Would a higher pressure rad cap help? Open up some holes in the nose of the car to get my cool air over the rad? Buy a heaver duty rad? Hmmm.

Love the AIM Solo2 BTW. After sorting out all of the issues of the new AEM ECU and the AIM Solo2 I added a Temp screen to use 'just in case'; glad I did. So cool that I was able to program from my laptop and then watched the temp rise and fall during the race. I am thinking I will be putting in a full AIM dash over the winter.

Awesome to see Doug so happy at the end of the race. (:

The Race for Grant was awesome, will do again.
          Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

I still think 220 is fine, yellow lights at 220, red at 230 then cut power. That way you can manage when you want to slow down.

Do you have a dual core rad? The rad on my miata is huge and it's running very cool like 180 all race. I did see 210 on a very hot day when I first got it.

What happened with Ted, did he finish? Surprised because I never saw him all race.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw him after, he said his tyres were done.

I don't think my rad is dual core. Do you have a recommended replacement? I think I need to do something, I do boil from time to time and the last time I my temp was pinned the rad was down on fluid significantly.
              Last edited by faster; 09-01-2019, 10:11 AM.
              Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Ballade Sports

Comment

Originally posted by faster View Post
                  Yesterday was a great day indeed thank you Greg and Grant for planning and everyone else who showed up.

Left Montreal at 7am and booked it to the track; after I arrived it seemed like I didn't stop doing something until the end of the race. Between lapping, qually, donuts and racing the day flew by. The end of the race Lug Tread tasted SOOOOOO good.

Highlights include doing donuts on dated sticker winter tyres. I'm getting the hang of it sliding a car on dry asphalt and I'm looking forward to an open skid pad on Thursday to practice drifting and donuts. The race was very cool too and I impressed myself with my consistency of 21s but I am still dealing with an over heating issue. At the start of the race Doug got by me and I was happy thinking that I would rather be doing the chasing rather than defending. I was all over Doug for the first few laps trying to find a way by and Ted was close behind me. Lots of fun and lots of time to try and get by Doug and then the dreaded governor kicked in and my spark was being cut. Bret from BR Tuning put a rev limiter in based on a temp 220F. Flip the AIM SOLO2 to Temp and sure enough I am bouncing between 217F and 219F. The temp climbs quick when you are following someone close and the air in slip stream is not nearly as cool. So I back off a bit and cool, do another run at Doug and same thing. Crap. Passing James on the inside of 16 I tried to leave him a lot of room and I see him cut the grass in my mirrors. Here I am saying "Sorry James" out loud like he can hear me... such a Canadian thing to do. Never did get close enough again to Doug after that to try another run all though I kept Doug and the second place guy in my sights for the rest of the race. Not much else happened until the end except Pierre coming up to lap me and I see him go off in Quarry behind me. I start saying sorry again thinking it was something to do with me. Pierre gets back on it and gets by me... and then next time in Quarry I see him go off AGAIN in 19 in front of me. After I reminded him that the Vette is not a 4X4! Both James and Pierre said that their offs were not because of me so that was cool. Finished the race in 4th.

Interesting that my RS4 times were the same as my NT01 times, maybe we should all just race on RS4,tires last a lot longer and don't cost as much. (:

And I need to find a way of getting my coolant temp down a bit. 220 is top of the normal operating range and I'm on the threshold of boiling for sure and I know I have boiled more than once. Would a higher pressure rad cap help? Open up some holes in the nose of the car to get my cool air over the rad? Buy a heaver duty rad? Hmmm.

Love the AIM Solo2 BTW. After sorting out all of the issues of the new AEM ECU and the AIM Solo2 I added a Temp screen to use 'just in case'; glad I did. So cool that I was able to program from my laptop and then watched the temp rise and fall during the race. I am thinking I will be putting in a full AIM dash over the winter.

Awesome to see Doug so happy at the end of the race. (:

The Race for Grant was awesome, will do again.
                  Opening up the airflow in the nose worked amazingly for me. But I was forcing everything though the intercooler before, you don't have that issue.

My car ran great yesterday and was able to drive it hard all day (albeit only did 4-5 laps at a time) and temps were solid between 195-200.

But on the first TA Qualifier I saw a mist of coolant appear through the hood/windscreen, not sure if rad cap just released some pressure (looked to be from that area), so I switched out the cap.

Temps were fine after that.

Did both TA runs and car was solidly fast and consistent. However, after packing up the car at end of day and moving it beside Luc/JP's garage, Dave noticed some smoke coming from the right side tailpipe. The car had already been shut off for almost 10 mins! Wtf!

After results and podium, I startup the car and smoke show coming out the exhaust! Uh-oh. Seemed to clear up by the time we got to Redneck Bistro. Drive home was fine too.

This morning I check the car, nothing noticeable under the hood, but a mist of oil on the hood coming through the vent, and even going up all the way back to the wing.
                  Something is up.

Ugh, racecars...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Ugh, indeed.
                    Sarcasm is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by wing View Post
                      Yeah it's short track, they told you to go way too fast, when I got onto the track I pinned it and couldn't even see the pack and caught up in 15. Was hoping for 2 laps oh well. I checked up and Nigel caught up, I think only Adam got hosed really out of it. As Nigel and Richard were right there with me. Richard Kent said he was flat out and couldn't catch the pack, but yeah... lol.
                      Twice I've asked, and thrice you've ignored.

Comment

Comment

Finish line drag race

Twice I've asked, and thrice you've ignored.

Comment

This race was a LOT of fun. Battling cars either ahead or behind almost continuously.

Dave and I have nearly identical lap times; I qualified slightly ahead so we start side-by-side. Dave stays beside me all the way to corner 12.

1:45 #17 goes off-roading at 9B.

2:30 - Is Dave trying to go inside me at 16? No, turned out he's got an overheating problem and is going off-line to get clear air.

2:45 - CRUNCH - #17 flings a body panel at my car.

3:20 - #17 tries to throw a cone at me.

5:45 - Dave is still in my mirror. He's off to the left of me on the front straight... not sure what he's doing so I leave some room. Of course he was just trying to get clean air again.

7:00 - Dave is starting to disappear from my mirror. :-( His engine was getting too hot.

7:30 - Starting to lap Miatas. #17 has gotten ahead a bit.

10:30 - Pass #613

11:20 - another Miata

14:00 - lots of traffic to pass

15:45 - Miatas, Miatas everywhere!

17:30 - starting to catch up to #17 again. His tires are going off. Mine are slightly squishy but not too bad.

21:00 - finally the last Miata. James gives me a car's width. At least a Miata width LOL. Really starting to catch #17 - can see him struggling with his tires.

22:10 - Okay maybe not the last Miata... now I'm lapping the slower cars a second time. Couple more cars to deal with.

23:45 - Starting to catch #17... and yet another Miata. I think I've seen this one three times?

24:00 - Lock 'em up! #17 is really struggling now. I'm getting up in this mirrors, trying to find a way around.

25:20 - Another huge lockup! Maybe I can get him at 14? Crap, yellow flag. Dead car in a really horrible spot outside corner 15.

28:00 - I'm all over 17, but traffic plus yellow zone is making this difficult.

29:00 - Pierre is coming up behind, gah more traffic! Oh okay he's decided to do some off-roading in my mirror. Meanwhile #17 is doing some defensive lines. And locks up again. And another Miata in the way - darn, 17 gets it by just before yellow, I'm stuck behind. And Pierre gets in the middle of things... gets a little messy for a moment. After the yellow zone I get by the Miata and go to chase #17 again.

30:30 - Ran out of time, checkered flag for P3.
                            Last edited by dbg; 09-01-2019, 07:31 PM.
                            You can use my referral code to get 1,500 free Supercharger km on a new Tesla:
                            http://ts.la/douglas8947

Comment

TONS of space lol

Man I had a huge lead it took you guys 3 full laps to catch the difference, not bad for a pos car.

Comment

Oh and ouch....

So Pierre ... how many cars can you pass under yellow??

Looks like you chance to pass 17 was when you guys caught Deb, you were pretty cautious there, hard to tell on video though of course everything looks slower.

I know Adam told me when they caught Deb they were stuck behind her for about 5 laps, gotta seize that opportunity I got by Deb the second I caught her, wasn't wasting anytime with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X