Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

HEY PHYSK things you miss on facebook .
    your inner rossbentley is showing. well done.
    After having a good sleep on it, thought I'd reflect on my High Performance Driver Experience day at Calabogie Motorsports Park yesterday!Coles note...AWESOME!
    Long story...
    I woke up at 5:30am after not sleeping that great due to the partial mix of excitement and nervousness for the day about to come. I knew the car was ready, but I still wasn't sure if I was. In the back of my head I was afraid I would be a poor driver, make lots of mistakes, and worse case run the car off the track endangering me, my instructor, and possibly other cars. Very debbie downer of me but that's just how the mind works sometimes. Happy to report of those worries, the only one that happened was that I made a few mistakes...which was to be expected being as green as the grass is.

Anyways, after the leisurely hour drive to the track, I first did the mandatory sound check and proceeded to registration. Before the day starts you are placed in a classroom where you learn the basics of the track including pit in/pit out procedures, meanings of flags, seating position, steering, braking etc. Our in class instructor Marc-Andre did a great job of nailing these down to us in a fun, non-overwhelming way that made total sense.
    From there...we got our first experience on track. My instructor took my car out first for 2 laps to give me a quick intro on what we're doing and his method of coaching me. It really helped understand what we're going to try and accomplish during the day. From there...I took the driver seat and for the first 30 minute session there was no passing as they wanted all the drivers to focus on learning the track safely as some people had never been on it before. In this first session you begin the learn the characteristics of your car and how it reacts to the different inputs.
    After the first 30 minute session, you go back in the classroom where you learn about safe passes and where to do so on the track. Passing is done with point-bys only and in designated areas. We also learned more about steering inputs as well as braking and how to maneuver corners using a mixture of both.
    Back on the track again, we now had a full open track and the ability to push a bit harder and pass people if needed. I was still focusing on driving the car smoothly and nailing corners the way my instructor taught me. I noticed as the day went on, I was shifting into higher gears sooner...so I knew the instruction was paying off as we were picking up more speed out of corners which lead to a higher speed on the straights. We were also flying into corners faster, trusting the brakes to slow us down and turn in tight to hit the Apex and come out quickly on the other side. The first time I jammed on the brakes from 170KM/H to make a sharp right turn...I was convinced we were going off. But after some reassurance from my instructor I was never afraid to do it again as I saw the results almost immediately.
    We had a third and final classroom instruction where we learned a bit more advanced brake work, although I think for the purpose of the day it wasn't something we were going to really use yet. Apparently I did subconsciously as according to my instructor I was trail-breaking corners to the advantage of the car.
    After a bite to eat, we had 3 more 30 minute sessions with 30 minute breaks in between to the let the cars cool down. On these sessions we used them to try and clean up some mistakes I was making in certain corners. We both noticed I could do really well in one corner, which would cause my exit speed to go up and subsequently mess up the next corner because I'd be coming in too hot. We also tried a bunch of different lines to see how my car would react. Some worked...some didn't but it was cool to see how the car reacted to different lines and finding out what worked.
    For the last 30 minute session, my instructor pretty much sat silently and let me do my thing only chiming in when I was making a blatant mistake or just to remind me of something I wasn't doing (such as looking ahead or at the marshals). It was really cool to see and feel the difference from the first session to the last. I picked up quite a bit of speed and am just scratching the surface of learning the track and the best way around it.
    My instructor, Mike Physk was absolutely amazing and should take great credit for teaching me so much in such little time. His approach was very easy to follow and his excitement definitely wore off on me. When we'd make a corner well...he would do a big "YES YOU NAILED IT" which really pumped me up to do better. He also turned it back on me constantly asking questions to make sure I was paying attention and that his instruction was soaking in. While I didn't always have the right answers...it made me understand why he's asking and I'd then try harder next time so if he asked I'd have the answer. He seemed to absolutely love the Mini too...constantly complimenting how well sorted it felt and how it seemed to handle. The highlight for me though...at the end of the day...he told me I had done fantastic and never once did he feel nervous or uneasy while in the car with me. That was really reassuring as being new...you're not really sure how your driving is. An experienced instructor knows the difference so I'm really glad I did "OK".
    My Mini handled the day near flawlessly. I was a bit concerned a ~15 year old car with 150K on it would somehow fail, but for 5 of 6 sessions there was not a single hiccup (minus the part where I jammed it into neutral instead of 4th lol). My used RE-71R tires were amazing and gripped the track perfectly. They got a bit greasy at times but a quick cool down and they were good to go. We played with the tire temps all day adjusting after every session to see what worked and what didn't. I am also super happy with how the brakes came out. Not once did the car have any brake-fade despite me very likely over-braking at the beginning of the day. There was only two small signs of problem on my 6th and final session. My (newly replaced) powering steering pump stopped working for ~10 seconds in the middle of a corner. It happened twice in 5 minutes and then for the rest of the session it was fine. We checked the car after and the fluid level was fine, just a bit hot. I'm going to do some research on that as it was a bit startling the first time but I didn't panic and just slowed the car down until it came back on.
    So to sum up...awesome day...I'm so glad I did it as I've been wanting to get on track forever and have always chickened out for some reason or another. I bought the Mini for the sole purpose of using on the track...so I figured now was the time!
    Now I need to plan my next move to continue my education!! My end goal for this summer is to be able to participate in the 1Morelap events...2 hours of open lapping 5:00-7:00pm.
    Thank you Greg van Dalen / Calabogie Motorsports Park for an awesome day!!!

P.s. photo is of the car last night after I got home. Never have I see my rims that dirty (almost black) and the windshield and bumper were plastered with bugs! I was exhausted...but I had to wash them off! OCD!
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

also this happened. have you considered an Altima on NT01s? happiest driver ever.

_DSC1865.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    also this happened. have you considered an Altima on NT01s? happiest driver ever.

_DSC1865.jpg
    lol who won?? I found out last Wed that MR. Legault is teaching my son's Gr 9 tech class. What a great teacher!
    2008 Mazda 5
    2003 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    happiest driver ever.
    Of course, he's on a racetrack.
    There is no bad day at the track.

Funny story from Saturday.
    Was taking a few people for HotLaps in the Bogie Mustang. The passenger seat sits much lower than the driver, so as we start heading down Rocky Road he yells out "I can't really see out very well!"

I reply "that's okay, neither can I!"

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Fuck Photobucket!

Lol yeah I always say, it's ok I can't reach the pedals or the steering wheel but we will be fine.
    Driver for hire....

Thanks G!

Never know what people think after, that was really nice to read!

Also, trademark Physk hand! Yes! Much cooler than glovebox hands

Way to go mike

Kudos Mike!
    I told Chris he was in good hands that morning.
    I knew it was a safe bet.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Fuck Photobucket!

Soo, im finally in the market for new brake pads

Application: Subaru Brembo callipers

Wants: good track performance, and street able. Dust isnt a concern, but id rather not squeel all over town.

I have mystery pads in there now, and the car is light’ish @ 3000lbs’ish, brakes fine, still lots of pad, but my rotors are a wee worn. I have a set of new rotors, just need pads.

What should i get? Mario/Geoff. Im looking at you.

Carbotech XP8?

Is there a cheap centric pad that works?

Hawk something something?

Learn me.

XP8 will work. I used AX6 on my old Tesla Roadster, and it had much better performance and was much quieter than stock pads.

Stay away from Hawk HP Plus. They are a middling track pad and a HORRIBLE street pad. I mean they are so loud you'll be scaring people off the sidewalk. Not even exaggerating... I've literally had it happen.

I used Hawk DTC 60 on my old S2000 and C6. Awesome pads, not noisy. They work fine for street purposes even when cold; if anything you have to be a little easy hitting the brake because they really bite. They will be a bit abrasive to the rotors, but pads are expensive and depending on the car I'd rather replace the rotors more often and the pads less (I used cheap but decent Chinese rotors from MANL - worked great).

Running Hawk DTC 60s on the S2000 with ACDelco rotors; stopping power is great.
    Sarcasm is over rated.

Carbotech XP8 or G-Loc R8. Same compound, awesome pads.
    MZ3...is slow
    Miater...is slower

You will sound like a bus with carbotech.

Stoptech sport pads are dusty .but stop and are quiet
    Driver for hire....

Never heard anyone complain about carbotechs causing noise before.
    MZ3...is slow
    Miater...is slower

Well now you have. :-)

OMG they are insanely loud man. My car was louder than a bus.

Tracy was embarrassed to drive it.

Stopped great that's for sure.
    Driver for hire....

Never had that issue on three sets. What compound?
    MZ3...is slow
    Miater...is slower

Quote Originally Posted by wing View Post
    You will sound like a bus with carbotech.

Stoptech sport pads are dusty .but stop and are quiet
    What wing said, I have xp10 at front and xp8 at rear for 370z. When I first took it out this spring, Even the wife said oh yeah forgot we sound like a bus in this thing

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    Ex Girly car boy!

Xp10 and 12 for me
    Driver for hire....