Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Just did my first weekend of regional racing, at Kyle's weekend. Managed to keep out of trouble so got a clean observation. 1 down, 2 to go.

Learned a few things.

31 cars racing on the short track is crazy.

Ariel Atoms are cool cars but totally impossible to see. On the first race start the left side of the grid backed up so I tried to tuck in behind Pieter's Nastruck... but then I was thinking "where the fuck did the two Atoms go?" Oh wait, I can see a disembodied Go Pro camera floating outside my right hand window. Figured they were both hiding on my right side (and they totally were), so I ended up out in the marbles on short track corner 1. That screwed me pretty hard lol. Almost made up the lost ground but then the full course caution went up, and that took us to checkered. Sigh. At least I didn't squash the things.

This led to a horrible pun... "Good thing you didn't split the Atoms." I will not name names.

It's really hard to turn right when you can't see through the right half of your windshield. Also a grid heater is only slightly effective (same problem at Watkins Glen last week... great idea but they suck). Having a blower that circulates air past your exhaust works better... just needs to point at more useful places. I was told a lot of people were in worse shape than me - pitting in to get rags and such.

Rain slicks are awesome. I could have been pretty fast if I could see where I was going.

The little rear view camera I put in the car was absolutely awesome in the rain. I couldn't see anything in the mirror, but the little camera worked like a champ!

Jeff's Trans Am car is stupid fast.

I don't get the Atoms. I guess they are cool and all, but they would be cool on the street. On the track, why not just get a formula car.

They should really run with the formula libre group IMO. Seems sketch with the big cars out there.
    Driver for hire....

Wow ya really. FL for sure

Totally agree. I was very worried about squashing one. All I could see was the stupid Go Pro on top of the roll bar.

Also Arek crashed into one on the first lap. They can seriously outbrake any sedan on the track. (Did more damage to the BMW than the Atom FWIW.)

I can only imagine how hard they are to see. I had a Lotus Elise behind me a while back when I ran the Forester and couldn't see the stupid thing in my rear view, just glimpses in the side mirror as he darted from side to side.

It looks lower than the vette and I find people in SUV's/trucks don't know I'm next to them. Fun car but probably not a good idea to street drive too often.

They aren't street legal here. Well there is 1 or 2 apparently that got through before they said nope.
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by wing View Post
    They aren't street legal here. Well there is 1 or 2 apparently that got through before they said nope.

If it was here when they had the exemption, it can stay. I keep telling Bert that he's got a great investment in his Exige, but no care. Front bumper still has cone smudges from AutoX two years ago lol.

"Spin or Win"
    '95 Mustang GT (Tiffany) - Drift Missile
    '98 Mazda B4000 - Tenacious Trucklet
    '15 Yamaha YZF-R3 (Angel) - Daily Driver
    http://gph.is/2cb8LWTvia GIPHY

Yeah and there are like 2 that are legal
    These were not.
    Driver for hire....

Oh wait, you mean Atoms...

Carry on

"Spin or Win"
    '95 Mustang GT (Tiffany) - Drift Missile