Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Official 2018 Formula 1 thread

Time to start a 2018 thread.

So Williams finally confirmed what we thought, Sirotkin is announced as the other driver alongside Stroll.
    Surprisingly, Kubica is reserve driver though, meaning the young Russian better step up or Kubica will be ready to step in.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42700482

What else for 2018?

Testing in 6 weeks or so, starting Feb 26.

Ferrari launch is only one scheduled so far, on Thu, Feb.22 just ahead of testing.

Car/reg changes for 2018:

• Halo introduction
    • Sharkfin banned
    • T-wing banned
    • Suspension design clarified to eliminate any ride height changes during cornering
    • Power unit changes from 4 allocated, down to three each of internal combustion engines (ICE), heat motor generator units (MGU-H), and turbochargers (TC)
    • Further restrictions against the practice of oil burning, where engine oils are burned as fuel to boost performance, were also introduced.
    • Two more tire compounds available: HyperSoft, UltraSoft, SuperSoft, Soft, Medium, Hard and SuperHard, not including Intermediate and Wet tires.

Eager yet?

Think Mercedes will be the clear favorite with Ferrari anxious to take the fight to them and make good.

Biggest question is what teams will be fighting for the remaining podiums? McLaren should not be underestimated with the new Renault engine, but so should Red Bull, and the factory Renault team in there with Hulk and Sainz. Force India (or Force F1 as new naming suggests) are in the mix too.

Williams is an unknown, expect Haas to be midfield again, and Sauber at the back with the new Honda-engined Toro Rosso with the young-uns?
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Fuck Photobucket!

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

McLaren has to come out strong or it'll be a long year for them again...
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

Merc and Ferrari at the top again I think. Would love to see RedBull and McLaren get some podiums though.
    And obviously would be great to see Stroll up there as well, but don't think Williams has the money/tech to keep up.

"Williams said throughout the process that its driver decision would be based purely on performance and it is believed Sirotkin was clearly the quickest at Yas Marina."

"It took several weeks to iron out the contract details with Sirotkin, who is believed to bring a financial package worth round £15million, and his team."

Really...performance you say.... now sure what % of Williams' budge 15 million pounds is, but a nice to have I'm sure...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...te-996281/?s=1

And....agreed Merc and Ferrari will be there at the top - I think the real interesting racing will happen between Redbull, Renault and McLaren...all having the same engine.

Yeah LOL at Williams having 2 pay drivers now and claiming it's "purely on performance".

Fans are dumb, but they're not that dumb.

Sirotkin was clearly faster than Kubica. No denying that.
    But Stroll could be on hot seat me thinks.

James Allen had some interesting feedback on his blog.
    Basically Stroll and Sirotkin are financing the team.
    Sirotkin was obviously fast on single laps (but Kubica was faster on long runs).

But Kubica has the experience to set up a car and provide useful feedback to the engineers.
    So, he takes the car during practice and sets it up for the pay drivers on the weekend.

Kubica knows how to entertain sponsors and talk to the media...stuff he can teach to the kids.

The kids contracts are up in 2 years. So being an mentor and ambassador for the team is a good warmup for an eventual main gig.

My other car is 10 motorcycles that don't start

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karmaboy View Post
    The kids contracts are up in 2 years. So being an mentor and ambassador for the team is a good warmup for an eventual main gig.
    Not a bad plan, and i'm sure he's well compensated also in the mean time. A good way to have some experience to feed the "kids" while promoting future talent in a way.
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

Subscribed because I know nothing about F1

More money will keep Stroll around if he doesn’t perform better. Pretty sure he’ll do a 3rd season, a 4th, maybe not without exceptional results.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

If this is the new livery, that’s awesome looking

01488D45-F9D2-447B-A237-33A9049C376C.jpeg

We’re a month away from the official release.

Would be nice, but McLaren has a habit of sharing outsider concepts.

Another month until launch and testing!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Andre C.

Fuck Photobucket!

Stupid halo

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

'New Ferrari engine generates more than 1000hp'

https://www.maximumf1.com/nieuws/for...re-than-1000hp

In the world championship last year, one of the deciding factors for the victory of Mercedes was that the German team had the most powerful engine in the field. The power unit generated 15 hp more than that of competitor Ferrari, but this year the Italians seem to have countered this and taken a big step forward during the winter break.

Leo Turrini, journalist and Ferrari insider claims, 'Ferrari has succeeded in dieting the new power source,' on his Quotidiano blog. 'The biggest advantage for Mercedes was that they had a slimmer overall package, but Ferrari has succeeded in significantly reducing the weight of their new car. The 1000 horsepower has already been tapped on the test bench.'

Would be great if they did, someone has to take the fight to Merc.
    Not a fan of Vettel at all, and last year he showed me again why, but don't need Hamilton running away with it again this year.

Kimi has the talent but Bwoah about everything, don't think he has the motivation anymore. Would be nice to see Kimi snatch a second championship from under their two noses.
    Andre C.

Fuck Photobucket!

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Kimi has the talent but Bwoah about everything, don't think he has the motivation anymore. Would be nice to see Kimi snatch a second championship from under their two noses.
    Kimi is the kind of guy that would win the championship with 1-2 first place and a bunch of 2nd/3rd finish... and when the interviewer asks him how he feels after winning he'll just be "ok I guess, like last time I won one" and go away leaving the reporters with a WTF look on their face.

Alonso asked about testing a Nascar stockcar and if hes ever talked to Kimi about his Nascar deal ""With Kimi it's quite difficult to talk about anything!"

lol

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...r-test-998729/

This would be a nice livery, but not sure Gulf Oil is a sponsor? Posted on Alonso's IG.

Thought they currently have a contract with Mobil, unless that was part of the Honda deal. edit: Yeah, Mobil is gone it appears.

DT1i4feWkAAG4ZD.jpg

Would be nice to see this along with the Wiliams Martini. Bring back the old!
    Andre C.

Fuck Photobucket!

If Kimi were to really fight Vettel, like Nico did, meaning doing what needs to be done, like get in his head off track and even hit him on track, that would be the end of him with Ferrari, but damn, it would be epic. He could definitely do it

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    If Kimi were to really fight Vettel, like Nico did, meaning doing what needs to be done, like get in his head off track and even hit him on track, that would be the end of him with Ferrari, but damn, it would be epic. He could definitely do it
    What a way to retire. Kimi doesn't give a crap.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Andre C.

Fuck Photobucket!