Default Watkins Glen Redux

Second time in a month at Watkins Glen! Did a Chumpcar race a few weeks ago with TWOTH. Tons of fun. I was back there again yesterday with the Lotus Owners of New York.

IMG_6453.JPG

Yes, my C6 died there last year, stranding me South of the border. This time I brought my new C7 Grand Sport. Also because they were short of instructors I was asked to help out. Long day but a lot of fun.

Here's a video from my last session. On the first lap I was being chased by my friend who originally invited me to drive with them. I put some distance between us on the straights, but then he caught up when I had to pass a slow car. I let him by on the front straight (and his friend hot on his tail) and chased them. I wanted to see how the Grand Sport compared in the corners versus a very well set up Lotus race car. I had to back off on the esses / straight, but the car did a good job of keeping up with them in the corners. Very happy with the machine.

Also had a lot of fun with the instructing... a bit more on that to come.

Cool! Loving that track now that I have run it a ton in the simulator. Lots or big boy corners for sure.
    Driver for hire....

So that video is directly from the car itself? Very cool!

So my first student was a bit unusual. He drives an F150. Seriously. There was a long story about all this came to pass originally, but he's been to the Glen a few times with the group and was signed off, and I was assured that he's a safe driver on the track. He hadn't been to the track for a year so was a bit rusty, and needed a "tune up".

IMG_6446.JPG

Well okay then...

He turned out to be a good driver, and it was a total blast lapping the track in a truck! It was boosted and when he got on the gas it sounded like a freight train. It was very stable in the corners and didn't lean much (obviously not stock!), and it held the track surprisingly well. Of course the tires screamed through every corner - heck they did that coming out of pit lane. It took a few sessions to clean up a few things, and then I let him run solo again.

The second student was a surprise.

He was your typical middle aged guy with a Lotus Evora who had never driven on a track before. A friend talked him into coming. So the first session was about what you expected, he had trouble remembering the track layout and the line. But he listens intently to everything I say and does what I tell him. After the session I suggested he go over the track in his mind while looking at a track map. Apparently he did because the next session he started out driving the line almost perfectly. Okay then! On that session we mostly worked on his smoothness and refining the line, plus a bit on his vision. He made some progress but was not very smooth. When we next got back in the car he said he wanted to work on his smoothness. Out we went and he was really smooth! WTF this guy improves massively while not driving? We mainly worked on his braking. On the third session he pretty much got everything down, except one thing: speed. He was slow. He didn't pass anyone. I told him afterwards it's all very good to have a good, smooth line, but another thing to do it at speed. He told me he wasn't confident that he could go faster.

So I took him out in a session in the C7. I took it to about 8/10ths, and as you might expect he was totally floored. Coming out of 9 he asked how I could do that seeing that wall looming? My answer, "I'm not looking at the wall."

We talked after the session. He said that he didn't think his car could do that, there's no way it could take the corners the way mine did. I assured him it could do everything mine could. Then I added please don't try that!!!

So a half hour later we're back in his car. We exit the pits and he's up the butt of another Lotus. In fact he's on his ass all the way up the Esses, and for a moment I'm nervous because he's going like twice as fast as before. But he's smooth through the Esses and passes that Lotus at the exit. So I figure okay he seems to be driving well, let's see what happens at the bus stop; yeah he does just fine. And the outer loop... and all the way around the track. Now I'm thinking, "Is this the same guy???" After a few laps he turns in too early at 7, goes wide at the apex, and I can feel he's right at the limit. All I say is, "Don't turn any harder." He handles it just fine, keeps the car stable and we have no problem completing the turn safely. He says, "yeah I turned in too early." Holy shit! I've never seen a guy improve so quickly. I mean he needs more experience before getting signed off, but he was really doing it. He was passing everyone, yet was totally safe and very smooth. Went from the slowest guy in the session to the fastest in one step. Wow.

That was a fun day!

Cool. Sometimes a ride along makes a huge difference. Had that happen before, somewhat scary at first because this speeds just went up with no progression.
    Driver for hire....

I miss that track, want another go at it now without overheating boost issues...good driving Doug, car sounds sick

How are curbs in real life? In game, through the bus stop, literally just 4 wheels on curbs and grass lol.
    Driver for hire....

Ya stop is smooth

Almost flat out in Radical.
    Driver for hire....

You bounce a little. Many of the curbs including bus stop have two parts - rumble but level with the track, and steeper with rumble. You really want to avoid the steep parts.

I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar

Ya, found that one out in the bus stop.

Weeeeeeee!
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

just curious Doud, but what do you see for speed in that car at the end of Rocky road?

I've not really had a chance to try it. The only time I've had it on long track was just a few laps during a Chumpcar practice session at 1morelap, and I was taking it easy.

Really the first time I've pushed the car was at the Glen.

So cool

How exactly did you get that video? Or made it?

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

The car has built in video. Just put SD card in and it foes the overlay. GM electronics
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by wing View Post
    The car has built in video. Just put SD card in and it foes the overlay. GM electronics
    Wow! Can you get as an option a rear cam view?

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

No... Go Pro for that.

nice to see this day ended better. good job doug.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca