Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing License

Default Racing License

Considering doing this. Realistically would just run a couple of weekends at Calabogie.

Did the CASC-OR race school back in 2011. Did fine and passed the written test, though didn't get the certificate because I brought a car without clutch (Tesla). Also did Bridgestone Racing Academy in 2012. Passed that.

Since then been doing GT / Pt / Chump.

Do I need to do another school to get a license now? Who to ask?

No need for a school again. It's written in the CASC-OR road racing rule book on how to proceed in a case like this. I did this. Basically provide all docs and race history. Ask the race director of the Calabogie Challenge series for a letter of endorsementif you want that extra push. Videos help too. It all goes to the chief driving instructor of CASC-OR. They will interview you over the phone, you get a B level license and then observed in 3 sanctioned races before you can apply for A level.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Agreed...shouldn't be a headache.

Bottomline is "would I race wheel to wheel with this guy"...you are gold.
    You have the "maturity" thing going for you as well...different story with a young punk.

HEY

Would attestations from existing license holders who have shared the track with Doug help?
    condor888000's Hero
    Autox & Track: Car #27 | Mazdaspeed MX-5 | Severely driver-limited
    Weekend Fun: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si | Nothing like the Miata
    Tow Rig: 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost | Drag car in disguise
    Daily Driver: 2010 Mazda 3 GT | Stock
    uncommonpear.com
    SchmooTube

Love it when I see someone go full retard on a track build. Respect!
    ~ Gojira

I'm set up with CASC, just have to get an observation at a race. Should be easy to line up.

Meanwhile I did the AISA school this weekend anyway, just for the learnin'. It's a really great school - highly recommended! Was fun and learned lots. And qualified for a race license lol.

But it wasn't exactly easy driving. The Corvette came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I'm very familiar with MPSS... great rain tires but with one little wee issue, they totally suck balls in the cold. I mean they're scary bad. Sunday's high... 5 degrees. I was driving on eggshells all weekend. I ended up just putting it in 4th and staying there, and even so I broke loose all the time.

Sunday was nuts at Calabogie. Sun comes out, starts to dry out... no wait it's a blizzard... okay now half the track is slippery as hell and the other side is better... but wait it's the other way 'round now. It was bad when wet, but was ridiculous when snowing hard. I really had to be on my toes. I was still passing the Miatas etc. but not exactly bombing past them. Was actually good for learning.

So Ted arrived late to the game on Sunday, first thing he does is hop in my car with his helmet already on just as I'm being signaled to roll into the pits. So off we go without a proper introduction, and with helmets on neither of us recognizes each other lol. So he starts instructing at a little bit of a newbie level. Maybe because of my lower speed due to tires? Then he comments on how good my line is and and on my smoothness (You kidding? I'm trying not to DIE here.) and wonders who has been instructing me. I mention Jose and he's says, "He's done a really good job". I'm thinking, "you know this is the 400 group right?" I guess not, during my first pass I had to tell him there were no point bys in the session, and then a lap later yes I'm allowed to do a braking pass into 14. See? No black flag!

Then the car goes sideways at 9A (goddamned rears broke loose yet again... sheesh wheel was straight I was barely on throttle) and he's like OMG and I simply catch the car. (To be entirely honest my heart rate did go up a bit afterwards... fucking new car and all.) "Well done. You didn't overreact." Then he looks at me and says, "This car is new?" "Yeah" "What did you used to drive?" "Silver C6" "You're Doug!" "Yep" "I'm Ted." LOLZ! He actually apologized for the level of instruction he'd been doing. "It's all good!"

After that I turned on "wet track mode". I'm not proud! Then another instructor was trying to get me to put more throttle on in 16. Uh no, I can't. "You should be able to do 50% throttle." "On a dry day I would be 100%, not today." On the third time around he goes "More throttle." "More throttle." "More throttle." "More throttle." "More throttle." (Not kidding, said it 5X). So I let the car decide. I carefully rolled it up to 25%, went sideways, caught it (admittedly with some electronic assist), and said, "Okay I'm sorry but I'm not listening to you in corner 16 anymore." No argument!

Last session of the day it finally started to dry out, and I could drop to 3rd and let 'er rip a bit. Surprised a few people who were used to me driving on tiptoes. That lasted for ten minutes. Then a blizzard. Okay fuck this noise I'm done!
    Last edited by dbg; May 8th, 2017 at 11:57am.

sounds like the best conditions for fun Doug

always learning is key

Yeah learning was great. Would have greatly preferred warm and wet though. Car was a serious handful on those tires.

So whats the deal with your car? I thought it wouldn't pass?

It doesn't. But they have decided to allow Chumpcars in CASC so maybe I can get them to also allow ACT specs. Or I could drive a Chumpcar in a race or two. Or... I dunno, figure something out.

Seriously? They allow Chumps with cages that are controlled to allow flex in the chassis, but they wont allow your car with a safe purpose built car...WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    Seriously? They allow Chumps with cages that are controlled to allow flex in the chassis, but they wont allow your car with a safe purpose built car...WTF???
    Last time I checked the Chumpcar rule book the cage specifications were IDENTICAL to the SCCA and CASC-OR rule books. So if Chump is passing cars on tech that do not meet that spec then something is very very wrong with Chump tech inspection.
    Current toys:
    1997 BMW 328is race car
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2012 VW Golf R
    Spent $1300 on new fasteners when building race car

Quote Originally Posted by luker View Post
    Last time I checked the Chumpcar rule book the cage specifications were IDENTICAL to the SCCA and CASC-OR rule books. So if Chump is passing cars on tech that do not meet that spec then something is very very wrong with Chump tech inspection.
    Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    This.

Chumpcar cage specs are the same as SCCA/CASC. Only "difference" is that where SCCA/CASC Spec them as minimum, chump identifies certain extras as performance adding (oversized gussets beyond minimum for safety, bracing between strut towers, etc.).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296

1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i

your only allowed so many chassis connection points in Chump before they start penalizing you. They do this to limit chassis stiffness. But the extra bars also make for a safer car most of the time. They very well should meet the minimum requirements. Dougs car exceeds almost every cage requirement except one. I'm would bet $1000 that Dougs car is stronger in every aspect than the minimum Casc cage. They are just too stubborn to look at the whole cage design instead of an arbitrary wall thickness number. Yet they are crying there are not enough entries.

Quote Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
    This.

Chumpcar cage specs are the same as SCCA/CASC. Only "difference" is that where SCCA/CASC Spec them as minimum, chump identifies certain extras as performance adding (oversized gussets beyond minimum for safety, bracing between strut towers, etc.).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Bingo

Ya they dumb.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    MZ3...is slow
    Miater...is slower

Quote Originally Posted by condor888000 View Post
    Ya they dumb.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, who cares about rules and standards, they just get in the way.
    Current toys:
    1997 BMW 328is race car
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2012 VW Golf R
    Spent $1300 on new fasteners when building race car

Maybe they don't want to see NASCAR in regional Racing. I mean it could be just a look issue. NASCARs don't look like GT cars. Do they have any other tubular chassis race cars?

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

Lots of NASCAR and trucks
    Driver for hire....

I did not know that. Then just upgrade the cage or downgrade. Lol

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown