Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chumpcar 2017

Renting seats make sense for me this year, it is a little expensive but I just don't have the time to put into building a car or joining a team and contributing much in terms of wrenching outside of a few days before an event... The budget for the Civic may take a hit depending on how addicted I get to chump this year

Renting a seat with a team like Twoth is probably more expensive than the average seat cost for a given race but you also have to factor in their record of having their cars finish and be competitive. But racing is racing and shit happens, cars break, accidents happen that's part of the risk one takes when signing up for these things. Getting anything back if a car were to not be able to finish is a bonus imo not an expectation, team Barb were awesome about that last year after Barb's unfortunate motor issue (didn't ask for it, they are just very kind and awesome people)

That's why I don't chump. You break it and buy it part. Racing is racing and I know that in the heat of the action, over driving a car you're not familiar with will happen. In Rainy days too. Shit happens fast but you could be smart too and hold back a tenth. I'm not a smart man.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

can't say enough good things about twoTH. car prep is on point, if you care to know what 'race ready' is all about. You could spend almost as much and sit around in the pits all day frustrated about not bumping mirrors with other chumps.

I feel the same about TWOth. They take their Racing seriously. Data analysis and all. They have what now, 10 identical Civics? They are well prepped cars. They race all over. I'd pay to race their cars but then again

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

Make it the level 8 of chump

Sent from my EVA-AL10 using Tapatalk
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    That's why I don't chump. You break it and buy it part. Racing is racing and I know that in the heat of the action, over driving a car you're not familiar with will happen. In Rainy days too. Shit happens fast but you could be smart too and hold back a tenth. I'm not a smart man.
    It hurts the same either way. What car have you ever blown up that you didn't pay for? (technically you paid for it twice!)

The key is having that discussion early on and certainly having faith and understanding in those you are racing with about fair cost and expectations under the worst of circumstances.

I have been in cars where I was pretty sure I would be raked over coals regardless however tragedy may strike. Do not want.
    161 - The Nefarious Rabbit
    86' MR2 - The Dirty Deuce
    91' CB250 - The 'Hawk
    76' CT90 - an heirloom

Twoth did it right. Multiple matching cheap EG/EK civics. Reliable as hell, virtually free spare parts and unlimited aftermarket support. Plus light and cheap on fuel, and low cost tires sizes.

One would be wise to follow their lead. My only thought would be that the platform was so underpowered it couldn't be competitive, but their record shows otherwise. Kudos to them for getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by 97gst View Post
    Twoth did it right. Multiple matching cheap EG/EK civics. Reliable as hell, virtually free spare parts and unlimited aftermarket support. Plus light and cheap on fuel, and low cost tires sizes.

One would be wise to follow their lead. My only thought would be that the platform was so underpowered it couldn't be competitive, but their record shows otherwise. Kudos to them for getting it done.
    The only one I did with them was at Road America, last corner onto front straight is up a steep hill. That's about the only place the car really felt underpowered. It's on rails, I've never driven any other car that handled so well, and everything lost on the straights was more than gained back up in the next braking zones and much higher corner speeds - and you can put that thing just about anywhere in any corner, it's unreal..
    That plus the well oiled machine behind the scenes that kept pit stops to fuel strategy only is the reason we were far ahead of everyone else in the class, and well within the top of the field overall -- can't be mad about being beat by Trans-Am drivers in LS-swapped 3rd gen camaros and such. (although twoTH wasn't satisfied not being on podium overall)

I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar

Default Chumpcar 2017

Damn, decisions decisions.

Chump tires.

Reigning champ: RE71R.

New this year, Azenis RT615+(holy cheap!), RS4. The Toyo R1R is now rated as a "200" tire and is also eligible, might be too soft for a longer race though.

What is everyone else going with?

I still really like the ZII SS, good grip, last forever.
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Twoth ran the RS4s at Daytona, but without previous track+tire comparison they didn't really have much to say about them. The wear was great, albeit on that track there probably isn't much wear to begin with, and they certainly seemed to be sticky enough from the driver's perspective.

I think the plan for them is RS4 for the season unless for some reason data shows wear to be worse than RS3 when they compare them at a track they've previous run.

Learning how to internet mphysk's Avatar

Twoth be running 225 or 245?

Quote Originally Posted by mphysk View Post
    Twoth be running 225 or 245?
    Depends on track I think, they have both. Ran 225 at Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwan View Post
    Depends on track I think, they have both. Ran 225 at Daytona.
    Ya, car is probably faster on the 225 at high speed tracks like Daytona and Mosport.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Well, we are booked for the Mosport race July 1-2. Will be a long haul from Edmonton, luckily not by me.

R&T April 2013.