Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 2017 MCO Ice Racing

Pulled from MCO Forums:

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Racing Organizer
    The draft of the 2017 MCO 1morehome.ca Ice Race Series has been posted. Please review and prepare any feedback and comments. The plan is to hold a gathering in early December to review the rules and changes. Once updated, the ruleset will be reposted as official.

Rules Link: Draft 2017 MCO 1morehome.ca Ice Race Ruleset

The changes for 2017 include:

It is VERY important to have a proper tow point, front and back. The tow point must be attached to the structure of the car, and must be able to absorb the forces of a violent snow bank extraction. Any car that does not have tow points that meet these requirements will not be permitted on track.
    Only car numbers between 1 and 99 are permitted and no leading zeros.
    All drivers and passengers during the race must register as competitors and sign the competitor waiver. Anyone on track must understand the risks. This also means there will be a $20 one-day membership fee for any passenger who is not an MCO member.
    You have 4 months to prepare a car. Therefore, the Technical Scrutineer will be instructed to be stricter than in the past. No exhaust exiting through the hood, no inadequate tow points, no ramming bars in front of the radiator, etc.
    We are investigating having mandatory sponsorship decals, with details to come later (but with plenty of time to install on the cars).
    The organizers are reviewing ways to make timing and scoring easier for everyone. There are also come concerns about the total number of cars on the track. Although the feedback at the end of last year was positive from everyone (except timing and scoring), we might need to find ways to allow all entries without detracting from the track time. Until then, plan for the series to be run the same as previous years - a 3-hour enduro.

"Spin or Win"
    '95 Mustang GT (Tiffany) - Drift Missile
    '98 Mazda B4000 - Tenacious Trucklet
    '15 Yamaha YZF-R3 (Angel) - Daily Driver
    http://gph.is/2cb8LWTvia GIPHY

"Although the feedback at the end of last year was positive from everyone"

Personally, I thought the marshals needed to step up and black flag people for intentional collisions. There were some people out there last year who thought this was a game of bumper cars. It's all fun until your car is needlessly disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Personally, I thought the marshals needed to step up and black flag people for intentional collisions. There were some people out there last year who thought this was a game of bumper cars. It's all fun until your car is needlessly disabled.
    Richard is asking for thoughts and feedback. I can quote the above in the thread. Aaron Z has already written a novel for Richard lol.

"Spin or Win"

Any chance we can have our hood exhaust on car #18 grandfathered?

Buying an exhaust will blow our budget...

Unfortunately I'd say it's unlikely. Most of the negative feedback Richard has been getting is as follows:
    - Racer etiquette from competitors
    - Vehicle prep from scrutineering and tow team.

There are some people who show up morning of with a damn lance or battering ram sticking out of the front, and Richard has to deal with it. He's getting tired of that. Last year we (myself included) had to stop 3 cars from re-entering the track after an accident because they were no longer fit. One had no rear bumper anymore, and nothing but a thin piece of sheet-metal between the gas tank and a potentially overzealous competitor. Anothers entire rear axle had almost completely separated from the car.

The towing crew has been complaining that tow points are getting sketchier and sketchier, and I don't blame them.

In terms of the through the hood, I know Richard had concerns and probably didn't want to let it run, but went with it for the sake of getting you guys into the event. He probably hoped either the car would die, or it would be fixed for this season. I can't say for certain though, and if you want to know whether or not there is a cheaper way to make it right, best just to talk to Richard directly: icerace@mco.org

Can't find a used OEM exhaust online or at Kenny's? Maybe fab something up with old exhaust pipe, flex pipe and exhaust clamps?

"Spin or Win"

Thanks, i'll see what Richard will accept.

We're already $140 deep into a new door (bumper car folk tried to kill doug) and a rear control arm. Still need a front bumper. Hoping we can agree on something cost effective!

For those who want to check out Aaron Z's comments, the thread is here: http://mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18263
    Summary of his comments:
    - Updating/Creating a new tech form to better represent the ruleset. (justification: most don't read rules, and build to pass the tech sheet)
    - Add a $25 penalty for failing tech (justification: teching, fixing problems, re-teching, fixing more problems, re-teching etc... causes delays and headaches)
    - Tow hook pull test to pass tech (justification: bad tow hooks cause delays on track, put tow team at risk)
    - Front and rear bumper covers removed (justification: they do nothing, and cause delays/yellow flags when they get ripped off)
    Last edited by Scruffy; November 14th, 2016 at 12:52pm.

"Spin or Win"

KISS

it's grass roots. focus on getting more cars in, not less.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

I tested and proved our tow hooks are good

we lost a tire because of racer etiquette, he came and appoligized after but we are still down a tire.

what g said, get more people to enter.

Yes some were great, some were ok, one looked like a metal chain log leash. Richard is trying to figure out how to handle more cars, but for the rules he needs to set expectations to avoid the delays we saw last year.

Keep in mind, Richard is organizing this, helping out with WDS and Track Maintenance, all while also having the responsibilities of Road Race Manager and running for a director position. #busyguy

"Spin or Win"

have to agree with Keep it Simple.

complicate things, people will not go.

event will not make money.
    event will then get canceled.

people just want to trash their beaters around on an ice track. racer etiquette should be adressed otherwise just race
    87GN
    94 Miata

as long as you don't provide any guidelines for the tow points you're going to get red/green duck tape solutions.

TBH when i was working on the ex nolimits Mazda the tow point was the last thing we worried about, we pointed at a hook looking thing under the car with tape.
    then got yelled at by terry the first time i put it in a snowbank.

Regarding the tow points...

Our legacy had a tow point made out of seatbelt material bolted to the frame in the back. And a giant arrow painted with the word tow above it.

They decided to use the rusty hitch to pull the car out and kindly removed it for us.

So.

Even if its done 'properly'. Shit can still go wrong. I agree its time there is a standard 'tow point' rule detail issued. Otherwise people gona people.

Considering new tow point options...

Really wanted to get into this this winter. This makes me kinda rethink it.

When we going out to prep the equipment?

Soon I hope. The start of last season as a bit of a downer with the gear starting out broken.
    Probably going to hell.

Saturday is looking good. I'll send out an email shortly.

"Spin or Win"

sweet.
    Probably going to hell.

sooooo, anyone thinkin bout getting a team together?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...ationFlag=true

Quote Originally Posted by FPOS View Post
    sooooo, anyone thinkin bout getting a team together?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/o...ationFlag=true
    as stupid as this sounds but auto is a disadvantage, some parts of the track are so slow (usually by the last stint) you have to clutch in to avoid wheel spin which will cost you grip and slide out and leave a gap open for a car to position themselves in if you don't.
    -newbie ice racer