Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Good points as always Rob. Wow was Saturday challenging as an organizer I'm sure.

I'm sure there will be complaints about lack of track time again, which is out of your control obviously. Hope gijoe wasn't there.

I do wonder WTF is going on with all the crashes though. I understand as you increase the number of participants the chances of incidents increase.

But this time it was novice and intermediate that had problems, the cars with instructors in them?

I'm sure the odds are that I'll have a student that has an off at some point, but I tend to really limit my students speed until I feel confident they are balancing the car properly and are within their ability level.

I had one instructor yesterday ask me why I didn't point by his student immediately... In the novice group... I'll take that one offline.
    Driver for hire....

Wow that was a challenging day for instructing. It seemed like every time we started to get into the groove another car would go off track. Then of course the extended lightning shutdown. Yeah stuff happens.

One of my students bailed when the rain got bad. That was a blessing because they both would have wanted to run in the final weather-shortened novice/intermediate session.

Another complication was the GT Challenge race immediately following the MCO event. I can't switch from instructing to suited up and on-track for qualifications in 10 minutes.

My remaining student had really "clicked" in the previous session. He could drive very safely, had figured out Calabogie, and mainly needed work on smoothness. So I headed out with him for 10 minutes and said absolutely nothing, and he did just fine. In fact he was doing a lot of passing. So I told him to let me off and run the rest of the session solo. Then I ran over and caught the last minute of the driver's meeting, and had enough time to get suited up and in line. (Then more lightning...)

The unfortunate thing is that I didn't get a chance to chat with my student after the session. That would have been valuable.

So my one request would have been to swap things around so that Open was the final session.

I can't switch from instructing to suited up and on-track for qualifications in 10 minutes.
    I always tell Pat in advance and he makes it work. either someone takes over the last hour or he schedules 1/2 day.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

I had 2 students, one in open and his first time at cmp, by 2nd session we were checking off 10ths in each corner. all set to time attack now, that was fun.

The other was the worst case scenario we use when teaching instructors. So glad to have that training. But damn.

Literally turned left cresting 3 on the last session. SOOO happy to fill out the confidential logbook on that one.

good times. see you Sunday
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    I always tell Pat in advance and he makes it work. either someone takes over the last hour or he schedules 1/2 day.
    Yeah lol, will do that next time.

Your student sounded like a nightmare.

There were only two incidents. One was an OTA guy, no instructor in the car, but he was being coached by his co-driver. The other one was a novice, who ran out of skill, track, and room before the wall . . . Minor scuffing to the bumper. He stayed for the rest of the day, and was pretty laid back about it - he used to ride bikes, and was used to far more serious consequences when he went off track!

Was it the OTA guy who hit the pit wall? That one looked pretty badly damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post

Literally turned left cresting 3 on the last session. SOOO happy to fill out the confidential logbook on that one.
    This is why watching youtube or playing a video game on a new track is important. Getting the the line wrong is understandable, but I find it ruins my day when going to a new track, and spending most of the day learning which way to go

Thanks for scaring us first timers for Sunday!!!

that's the beauty of west track. so easy to teach/learn on.

Lol videos. My guy said he watched a ton of videos. Then he showed up and nearly passed out he was so confused and lost.
    Driver for hire....

The videos don't capture elevation very well, in my limited experience with them.

Obviously it's not perfect, but I found it works better than showing up with zero clue.

I really agree about the usefulness of watching videos. When I was a noob I had no problem learning Shanonville, but my first experience at Calabogie was overwhelming. I couldn't keep it straight which corner was what. So I watched a whole bunch of YouTube laps over the course of a couple of weeks. Then I returned to Calabogie and it was night and day. I was signed off by the afternoon.

I'm sure it's even more effective after you've had some experience on the track, but I'm sure if I had done videos beforehand it would have gone a lot better.

I think everyone is a little different. In my very limited experience I watched videos before but it was confusing to put it all together and figure out the orientation of things until you actually get out there. Unfortunately the timing and my work schedule hasn't lined up for me this summer with the mco days (probably one of the few people who prefers week days), but the one I attended at the end of last summer I thought was perfect. Just enough time in between sessions to get the adrenaline down and reflect on your last run. Not sure how much the formula has changed for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by iandachef View Post
    I think everyone is a little different. In my very limited experience I watched videos before but it was confusing to put it all together and figure out the orientation of things until you actually get out there. Unfortunately the timing and my work schedule hasn't lined up for me this summer with the mco days (probably one of the few people who prefers week days), but the one I attended at the end of last summer I thought was perfect. Just enough time in between sessions to get the adrenaline down and reflect on your last run. Not sure how much the formula has changed for this season.
    One thing I have learned is that there is a group that find weekdays preferable. So we will be sure to take that into account for our 2016 season.

I thought The Whole day went very well. You can't control Mother Nature, but for students, doing half day in dry and half day in wet, i think it's the best for learning car control/car balance. I always try to turn these situations in a way that the student thinks/feels it was all positive. Having 2 cars off seem like the average for days like these and when the students witnesses these things, they tend to behave and listen a lot more. Good job Rob!

I wasn't suppose to help that day since I was racing in the evening, but Pat called me a couple of days ago and I agreed to do just the morning, which turned into a full day because of my brake problem. I think it's very demanding when instructors have 2 students per day. You jump from a car to the next all day.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

I've gone off track with wing before it wasn't as violent as others though and it didn't disrupt anything I think.

Need more good judgment speeches. It really made me realize that yah bringing my car home at the end is the best thing.

Funny thing, it probably took me 8 or 9 times at calabogie for me to realize when you guys said 2 wheels off and 4 wheels off I thought you meant in the air, not the grass.
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

Omg GOP.

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Catching air at Bogie...

I'm not accepting that challenge.
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

Wait we went off? Oh yeah... Inside of 17 nowhere near a wall at least
    Driver for hire....