Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Brake pad thread

It's time to start looking for brake pads for the beast.

Since I want to have to swap calipers for every event (when going from drag to lapping)
    I want something that will work well for both. So I have to keep my 10.9 slotted/vented rotors size instead of going with the 12" big brake kit. Eventually that's where I'm going but for now it would be too big of a change. I do have adjustable bias and big brakes on the rear setup (which I can use to my advantage with the weight distribution and low weight transfer)

Currently I have decent quality pads Ceramic Carbon Police pack Z9 which perform well for drag use, but are mostly a high performance street pad and I have a feeling they will fade with a few hot laps.

Another problem is I cannot hold my car on the line at the drag strip. 700FT-lbs + of torque at 3000rpm will do that.
    I had good experience with Hawk HP plus in the 300HP 3200lbs Saturn which I found adequate for lapping and I liked their aggressive bite, cold or hot. For my needs, the brake pad has to have good performance cold as well as hot.
    Anything better than HPS for that need ?

I will need all the brake pad that I can get because at 3200lbs and lets say power at 50% (800HP) with an auto transmission (less engine braking) the car will be hard on brakes.

Learning how to internet mphysk's Avatar

carbotech ax6 is a better hps.

hawk has made a new compound called street race i think to compete with the ax6. jury is out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDeadFan View Post
    I'm great at parking....

Well I'm extremely impressed with the carbotech xp12s I have. Car is 3800lbs, hot or cold the brakes will lock up the tires instantly if stomped on. But they have good feel and awesome initial bite.
    Driver for hire....

AS far as brake size, I think I will bite the bullet and just deal with the caliper swap for different types of events...
    I will put on the GXP (V8) big brakes 12.7" dual pistons aluminum. Can't take a chance on that...
    But that means the cheap 15" race slicks will not be an option.

Carbotech XP12 humm... The description you give is what I want.

if you go hawk, HT10s or the DTC 60s 70s. HP+ is not a track pad.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

[SIZE=2]Hawk DTC-70
    Race Compound
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]

Race Use Only

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1](Available in limited pad shapes)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Dynamic Torque Control-70
    DTC Series compounds provide extremely smooth braking performance while providing excellent torque control characteristics unmatched by any other brake pad.
    Highest Friction coefficient of any Hawk racing compound.
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Consistent torque over all pressures .
    High Initial Bite.
    Excellent modulation and release characteristics.
    Good wear.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]PDF Specifications

NASCAR, Busch, Craftsman Truck, Road Racing, Sports Car, GT Racing,
    Hooters Cup, Pavement Super Late Models,

Operating Temp:
    500F - 1600F

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Hawk DTC-60
    Race Compound[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]

Race Use Only

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1](Available in limited pad shapes)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Dynamic Torque Control-60
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Slightly lower friction coefficient and bite compared to DTC-70.
    Smooth braking feel with excellent torque and control.
    Excellent wear.
    This is a good choice for
    rear brake applications when used in conjunction with
    DTC-70 on the front.

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]NASCAR, Busch, Craftsman Truck, Road Racing, Sports Car, GT Racing,
    Hooters Cup, Pavement Super Late Models,

Operating Temp:
    500F - 1600F
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]HT14
    Race Compound

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Race Use Only[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Very high torque with aggressive initial bite. Excellent modulation and release characteristics. Designed for cars with extremely high deceleration rates and down force. Supercedes HT-12 material.[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Open wheel formula cars, CART, Toyota Atlantic, F2000, F3000, Trans-Am, Porsche GT

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Operating Temp:
    300F - 1600F
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]HT10
    Race Compound

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]Race Use Only[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]High torque with a smooth initial bite . Excellent modulation, consistent pedal, good release characteristics.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]NASCAR, Busch Grand National, Super Truck, Hooter's Cup

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Operating Temp:
    300F - 1600F
    [/SIZE]
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mphysk View Post
    carbotech ax6 is a better hps.

hawk has made a new compound called street race i think to compete with the ax6. jury is out on them.
    Just to be clear, my first lapping event with you guys in the Saturn, I had the HPS and after 3 hot laps, I ran out of brakes in the straight with next to zero warning.
    Barely made the corner downshifting into the rev limiter. Parked the car and waited for the next event. Used HP Plus and it's night and day. I never faded those and much more stopping power. But noisy as hell (Full metallic)

So Greg with the above chart, seems like the DTC-60 would be my choice since they have aggressive bite.
    That means cold they bite hard while the HT-10 would need some heat to start grabbing ? Hence the smooth initial bite.
    Or am I reading this wrong ?

Then again the chart says the Operating them of the HT-10 start at a cooler temperature. But bite is soft with low pedal pressure.

nah, other way. I used ht10s on the street. they work cold.

the DTC need lots of heat to work. I had issues keeping them in their optimum range, it wasn't for me, so I went back to the ht10s. they are predictable.

The tires are a factor in deciding your brake choice too. If they are sticky, you need a pad to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyronkiller View Post
    So Greg with the above chart, seems like the DTC-60 would be my choice since they have aggressive bite.
    That means cold they bite hard while the HT-10 would need some heat to start grabbing ? Hence the smooth initial bite.
    Or am I reading this wrong ?

Then again the chart says the Operating them of the HT-10 start at a cooler temperature. But bite is soft with low pedal pressure.
    I've run HT-10 and DTC-60 on my Corvette, and greatly prefer the DTC-60. They have excellent initial bite yet are easier to modulate than the HT-10.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    the DTC need lots of heat to work. I had issues keeping them in their optimum range, it wasn't for me, so I went back to the ht10s. they are predictable.
    Goes to show, our cars are very similar... different strokes for different folks.

nah, other way. I used ht10s on the street. they work cold.

The tires are a factor in deciding your brake choice too. If they are sticky, you need a pad to match.
    I'll be going with a tire that hooks well. That is also on the shopping list. Any suggestion there would also be appreciated.
    If I keep my 10.9 rotors, I can go with dirt cheap and probably decent 9" wide asphalt slicks from American Racer. I hear they hook really good.

If I go with the 12.7 I have to go with 17" minimum rim size.

I have no experience is AR tires, probably bias ply slicks, better suited for the smaller wheel too. If you go DOT in 17s, the choices are KumhoV710s or Hoosier R7s. but they are not cheap like the ARs.
    rock the ARs man. Maybe petawawa racer knows more about them.

I have no experience is AR tires, probably bias ply slicks, better suited for the smaller wheel too. If you go DOT in 17s, the choices are KumhoV710s or Hoosier R7s. but they are not cheap like the ARs.
    I guess best thing would be a good brake pad with my smaller rotors and the 15" cheap slicks that are 100$ each to start.
    Then if I want to get serious upgrade.

the Carbotech XP12 seem to have a nice temperature range where they perform well
    250 - 1850 F Range

I think I'd get rid of the Swiss cheese rotors for lapping first off. Secondly, a newbie especially with a fast car will melt pretty much any pads IMO.

I've run ht10 dtc60 and 70 and now the carbotech and really they are amazing.

Squeal though
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by yanrider View Post
    I think I'd get rid of the Swiss cheese rotors for lapping first off.
    ya, didn't see that. they'll crack faster than a regular disk.

I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar

Agreed, first thing get rid of drilled rotors.
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Simplest upgrade on the GP brakes is a 158 casting caliper bracket so you can run the 12" 99 camaro rotors vs the stock 10.5. but you will need 16" rims, but you could just switch the bracket back and forth to run your 15" drag rims. I have a set of brackets here if you need them. Hawk Lists the DTC30 for high deceleration drag racing.

I would not worry about pads that are good for 1800F, you will crack every cast rotor going over 1200f. You will need 2 piece rotors for over that.

2760 Fenton Road
    (613) 822-6226
    nolimits@nolimitsautoparts.com

The AR may work well for drag racing, but I doubt they will work great for lapping. There is a reason they are so cheap. The will not last very long. The other challenge with bias plys is they are inconsistent in size. You have to match each set you get. It used to be a mad dash to the tire truck on race weekends so we could get the proper stagger for turning left. Even saw a few punches thrown.

We ran the Hoosier R6's (predecessor to the R7) on the Legend and they were fantastic. Lasted a really long time, and were super predictable.

As for changing brakes for different uses, these are expensive but work really well.

http://www.galferusa.com/quick-disco...om-galfer-usa/