Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Club Ottawa

Learning how to internet mphysk's Avatar

my friend did a couple events there with PCA last year.

impression was mco events were much better run, and track time wasn't as abundant. he had a 993 turbo and felt like the poor boy there.

Gotta get miataruns to rep sometime then. Give your buddy a nice warm feeling...

Tim // 2013 Elantra GT GLS 6MT; 1984 Kawasaki KZ550 (IN PARTS); 1997 NA miata track car (Build Thread!!)

Speaking of miataruns... Nice sticker! uploadfromtaptalk1430964910138.jpg

Thanks! Wingdidit.

Gotta find the ones I've got sitting around and get 'em on the front quarters! Need to balance out the other vinyl on the car.

Tim // 2013 Elantra GT GLS 6MT; 1984 Kawasaki KZ550 (IN PARTS); 1997 NA miata track car (Build Thread!!)

Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    Heard back from Kostron within hours. Thanks Guys. Has anyone done the BMW thing at Tremblant? Seems like a lot of hassle with instructors, and 4-5 run groups? Only running once every 2 hours?

We pull a 28 ft enclosed trailer all over QC in the winter time with an F-150. 4-5 weekends a season. Haven't had any issues since 2006. And it's not just across the border, we are upto lac St jean etc
    You drive 3 times in the morning and 3 times in the afternoon. There's also a skid pad session. Advance group get the visit of an instructor. If he thinks your good to go after a session, you don't see him again. They have class rooms for advance drivers too. Like what to do in a crash, advance driving & racing. Its more like an open group discussion. It's good. It's super well organized. Cafeteria food. A little on the snob side but excellent. Classy. I go every year once or twice

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

I ran a Boxster with PCA in the late 90s at Tremblant for three summers and had the same experience. Run for 30 min then wait 2 hours. Total of only 4 runs per day. The days would start around 6:30 for tech inspection and would end around 4-5pm depending on your run group and whether or not you want to wait around for the last run. It would make for really long days.
    MCO events and Greg Lap Days are much funner and much less down time.

Yeah the down time sucks but besides the BMW Club or the Viper Qc club, you can't drive tremblant. Ferrari and Porsche clubs don't let strange cars drive with them

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Oh and if you happen to be lapping while Mr Track owner shows up with his son and he wants to lap his Ferrari or something else, they close the track for him for as long as he feels like... that could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Been there, done that.

Otherwise awesome track. I managed to sneak into a group that was organized by Trac Racing/CADL waaaay back in 1998 or 1999 I think.
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

Or just run a race weekend there.
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by wing View Post
    Too much time and money for us to get the car CASC compliant, and as well as both drivers. Just not worth the hassle.

No CASC. Libre but ya I guess
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oh and if you happen to be lapping while Mr Track owner shows up with his son and he wants to lap his Ferrari or something else, they close the track for him for as long as he feels like... that could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
    Yeah the "Tommy Hilfiger" guy is one of those "entitled rich guys". He doesn't give a fuck that you paid for and have a contract for service; his personal needs are more important. Some businessman. He bought the track so he and his Ferrari friends could play on it. The only reason he opens it up to others is that he has to have a minimum number of sanctioned events every year in order to retain the race track's certification. So from that point of view we're all just necessary nuisances, and he treats us that way. That's why it's almost impossible to even get an event scheduled there. That's why you can't use the perfectly serviceable classroom in the tower. etc.

The last time I was driving the track I was between 10 and 11 when I was startled to see a low-flying helicopter. Kinda spectacular sight, actually. It was landing beside the Ferrari garage - the one where he keeps his dozens of Ferraris. Uh oh. Fortunately he only stayed long enough to, say, masturbate over a Ferrari.

Despite the nonsense - and to be clear getting bumped by the asshole is a rare event - the track itself is absolutely spectacular. Well worth the trip.

As for the BMW club and track time, I highly recommend the Boston BMW Club's annual "Bimmers Across the Border" race school. You get gobs of track time. They do make you run with an instructor for a while no matter what your experience level, but they're actually very useful - anyone can benefit from some more training. After a few sessions you get signed off and away you go. They do also have class time. Show up to the first class and if you find it boring they don't seem to notice if you don't show up again.

Good luck trying to get in.

It's easy. You just register. I was asked to race last weekend. They had 7 stohrs running. B they do three weekends a year in formula libre
    Driver for hire....

Did my open wheel race school there...was worth it.

My other car is 10 motorcycles that don't start

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

It's easy. You just register. I was asked to race last weekend. They had 7 stohrs running. B they do three weekends a year in formula libre
    Highlighted a keyword in your sentence.

Already back then the egos of very expensive and fancy cars owners did not like to be crushed by some kid in a civic hatch and a type-R swap...

Or even more by Carl W. when he had his old Race prepped 1st Gen CRX... that thing was a riot and stupid fast too.
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

We do not have our race licenses. We've been told we need them to compete in the Libre series.

Well yes of course
    Driver for hire....

Imo it's the best track I even ran. Watkins glen is something too in the big track category. Any chance to drive at Tremblant is well worth any inconvenience