Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default Best way to mount an iPhone...

    What is the best way to mount an iPhone for recording video/lap timer app stuff? Everything I can find on eBay looks flimsy and shaky. I've got my phone in an OtterBox and would like to leave it there if possible.

    I have a first gen Hero that I'll use for the removable memory card but want to do overlays so I can be all cool like. I don't mind gluing, cutting, drilling, whatever it takes to get it in the right place.

    What are most people using?

  2. #2
    I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    22,722
    Rep Power
    2147716

    Default

    Zip tie to roll cage?
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.


    But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

  3. #3
    Senior Member sb_600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    10,048
    Rep Power
    2147590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    What is the best way to mount an iPhone for recording video/lap timer app stuff? Everything I can find on eBay looks flimsy and shaky. I've got my phone in an OtterBox and would like to leave it there if possible.

    I have a first gen Hero that I'll use for the removable memory card but want to do overlays so I can be all cool like. I don't mind gluing, cutting, drilling, whatever it takes to get it in the right place.

    What are most people using?
    Most people are using a go pro
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296


    1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i


  4. #4
    Contributing Member Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    2147584

    Default

    For it not to shake, I have no idea. The thing will overheat like crazy after a couple of minutes too. Have you ever tried filming for 5 minutes none stop. The thing gets toaster hot. I don't thing it's made for that. You're going to wreck it IMO


    All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

  5. #5
    da battery guy dbg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your mirror
    Posts
    8,411
    Rep Power
    2147572

    Default

    http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166U $35

    This mount is rock-solid. Just suction it onto your windshield.

    You have to add the holder for your model of phone - they cost 8 or 9 dollars.

    Have one in my Corvette if you want to look at it.

  6. #6
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default

    Do you have the melt down issues that Mario warns about?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hangn out in GT3
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    21480

    Default

    I use the Ram suction mount with my 4th gen touch, never had over heating issues running Harry's lap timer with video record. It shakes a little but not bad.

  8. #8
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default Best way to mount an iPhone...

    I see your mount here...but i was hoping to record video with it as well and it looks like the camera is blocked by the mount


  9. #9
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    I use the Ram suction mount with my 4th gen touch, never had over heating issues running Harry's lap timer with video record. It shakes a little but not bad.
    Suction on a dash plate or on the glass?

  10. #10
    Contributing Member Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    2147584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    Do you have the melt down issues that Mario warns about?
    Basically a iPhone is a computer without a fan. Try filming for 5 minutes now and be the judge if you think it's fine or not. It will not melt, I exaggerated with the toaster example, but is it overheating bad enough? Imagine 35 minutes or so

    i have a suction cup and it's solid. It still shakes though.


    All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

  11. #11
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default

    12 minutes of nothing...not one bit hotter than when I started. Seriously. Maybe new phones are better at this video thing?


  12. #12
    8===D
    *Actual Size
    Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lolmonte
    Posts
    15,797
    Rep Power
    2147651

    Default

    I bought a regular mount from the source and it held up when I went lapping
    Goddamn You Half-Japanese Girls. Do It To Me Every Time

  13. #13
    Contributing Member Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    By the Lake
    Posts
    9,564
    Rep Power
    2147584

    Default

    Good. My iPhone 4s would get so hot. I'll glad you tried it man. These things are expensive.


    All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

  14. #14
    da battery guy dbg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your mirror
    Posts
    8,411
    Rep Power
    2147572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    I see your mount here...but i was hoping to record video with it as well and it looks like the camera is blocked by the mount
    It's highly adjustable with ball joints at either end. Turn a knob to lock both down. You can position the camera so it has a clear view.

    I use mine as a lap timer, but there's no reason you couldn't shoot video. You will need a power cable to run it - running continuously gobbles power.

  15. #15
    Gay on Penis GoP-Demon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    3,446
    Rep Power
    719975

    Default

    If you want cockpit view you could mount it to the rear glass.
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

  16. #16
    FTFM I12XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greely, ON
    Posts
    9,666
    Rep Power
    2147585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166U $35

    This mount is rock-solid. Just suction it onto your windshield.

    You have to add the holder for your model of phone - they cost 8 or 9 dollars.

    Have one in my Corvette if you want to look at it.
    Ordered! I went with a flat mount which I will screw into the dash. If that doesn't give me the view I want I'll screw it somewhere else.

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •