Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clean sanchez View Post
    more competitive? lol the 50th place guy in that finish was 5 seconds back max after 90min ride?
    Yeah, after 70 km at an avg of 44 km/h!!! The Tour de France Pros run at an average a little over 50 km/h, just to put the talent these local guys in perspective for everyone

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Yeah, after 70 km at an avg of 44 km/h!!! The Tour de France Pros run at an average a little over 50 km/h, just to put the talent these local guys in perspective for everyone
    Not to take away from the caliber of these racers, but due to not huge hills, guys in the pack could be running half the watts as the guys upfront the whole way and still be 5s behind at the line... Just sayin', drafting is HUGE. This may not have actually been the case tho.

Quote Originally Posted by robyb View Post
    Not to take away from the caliber of these racers, but due to not huge hills, guys in the pack could be running half the watts as the guys upfront the whole way and still be 5s behind at the line... Just sayin', drafting is HUGE. This may not have actually been the case tho.
    Well, just for fun, Tour de France time trials on special bikes, and ok they are not grouped, so they can't draft, but these best of the best bikers, average 55km/h on a faux plat trial stage, the same type of road as Calabogie.

My my hat off to guys like CDN.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

This is pretty cool.
    And really fast? awesome.
    www.facebook.com/hellafab
    Precision Welding and Custom Fabrication

This is pretty cool.
    And really fast? awesome.

Preston Street Criterium is this Sunday, Father's Day, for anyone interested in watching some fast paced action on a local circuit. Numerous beer gardens with good visibility of the course. I normally course marshall the last corner, turn 4 by the Heart and Crown, for the main event that starts at 2:15. I race earlier in the day at 11.

preston.png
    '05 OBP Subaru Legacy 2.5i 5MT wagoon
    '16 KTM Duke 390

How does someone get involved in this type of racing?

Is there regulations on the gear you use? Uci approved stuff, etc?

Need to have a UCI license to enter, available from the Ontario Cycling Association - can be done on an Citizen's Permit with day license I believe. There are some basic rules but they don't enforce UCI approvals normally. I run an open mold frame (since 2010) and Rhus carbon wheels as sold by local bike shop Euro-Sports.

Technical guide here:
    https://bikeraceottawa.files.wordpre...ical-guide.pdf
    '16 KTM Duke 390

Too many rules I'm out
    Driver for hire....

not enough motors, I'm out.
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296

1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i

you have to have a license to ride a bicycle?

How hard could the exam be?

Fuck the rules, pass.

I kid

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by CDN 2.5i View Post
    Need to have a UCI license to enter, available from the Ontario Cycling Association - can be done on an Citizen's Permit with day license I believe. There are some basic rules but they don't enforce UCI approvals normally. I run an open mold frame (since 2010) and Rhus carbon wheels as sold by local bike shop Euro-Sports.

Technical guide here:
    https://bikeraceottawa.files.wordpre...ical-guide.pdf

What should someone expect in getting into their first race?

I might be able to come and check it out as a spectator, but likely if I was driving it would be neat to try it out.
    That seems like a really tight course, I assume its pretty tricky to move around.

this must be how people feel when I tell them they don't have enough experience to drive a car on track.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
    you have to have a license to ride a bicycle?
    Only to race sanctioned events... lots of newer 'gran fondo' type events that attract all kinds of riders, many that are very fit and can ride fast but lack the skills to ride in a group and as a result can be a danger to themselves and others.

Same rationale as Greg has to apply >>>
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    this must be how people feel when I tell them they don't have enough experience to drive a car on track.

Quote Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
    What should someone expect in getting into their first race?

I might be able to come and check it out as a spectator, but likely if I was driving it would be neat to try it out.
    That seems like a really tight course, I assume its pretty tricky to move around.
    First race? Simple answer? probably get 'dropped' - regardless of how fit you may be, I wouldn't recommend a crit, not without practicing first. In Ottawa, we have a weekly event on Tues nights, that alternates every other week between A and B-level racing, which I would suggest anyone try as a warmup before entering a real criterium. There are some basic dos and don'ts that you learn pretty quick - how to corner in a group is especially important. Most first time racers get "yo-yo'd" at the back where they brake too much and then have to accelerate to catch back on. That can only be done for a finite number of efforts before you burn all your matches...

I had the support of my team last year and was well positioned on the last lap only to have my back wheel damaged when another racer fell and put his handlebar into it, breaking spokes and effectively activating the rear brake as the wheel was no longer true - I walked to the finish as a result

Some video of the race last year - this is M2/M3, which is the 2nd and 3rd tier of age 30+ riders. The M1 guys race with the Pro 1/2 - a huge step up - I don't have the time to train enough for that with a young one at home so while I could have upgraded to M1 this year based on points earned, I stayed M2 as a sensible choice ;-)

Vid is ~10 mins. You can fast forward to 9:35 to see the guy crash and damage my back wheel, hard to see, but he put his bars in my rear wheel and I came out of the group with the brake rubbing. At 10:00, in the final straight, there's another crash when a rider didn't hold his line and took out one of my buddies. The guy who crashed into me was hospitalized with a broken humerus and some additional complications. The second crash was a clean break in the forearm I believe.

'16 KTM Duke 390

its nascar.

how did the dude fall down in a straight line at the end ?
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Car racing sounds safer.
    Driver for hire....

its nascar.

how did the dude fall down in a straight line at the end ?
    Somebody took out his front wheel - need to hold a (straight) line in the sprint. Can't just go deciding to cut across the road as there could be someone coming through behind you.
    '16 KTM Duke 390

does tire choice make a difference ?

does tire choice make a difference ?
    Not when somebody sideswipes your front wheel...

But yes, tires make a pretty big difference. Contact patch is maybe about the size of a dime, so you want to make sure it's effective. Air pressure, tire width, tread pattern, casing construction (material and threads per inch) are all variables that come into play. For racing, I use a handmade 320 TPI tubular tire with a fine herringbone tread that is glued onto a lightweight carbon fiber rim. Training tires are Michelin Service Course ProRace 4 slicks that we get for a good price at the shop. They're not long wearing but I prefer to have sticky rubber. I ran a soft compound slick tubular tire front and rear a couple years ago and had grief in the rain and ended up with a DNF. Those tires are going on my track bike race wheels now - they will never see water in the velodrome.
    '16 KTM Duke 390