Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tire Kicker Extraordinaire Angry Chicken's Avatar

Default Good All-around Track Tire

A couple of us (sorry wing) hijacked this thread: http://forums.midnightruns.com/showt...t-daily-driver so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm sure there are lots of opinions about track tires. No duh. I have my own. I don't want a stonking R-Comp. Well actually I want them, I just don't need them. I need something that suits the crappy, variable weather that I've seen the last couple of years at Calabogie without having to bring two sets of tires to the track. To that end, I bought (he doesn't know it yet...check your email, Andre) a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires from Slick Automotive. I've had the DW before, but in a different size, and quite like them. I also used the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but it's not available in the size I want: 255/40/17 to match my new 17x9 track rims. FWIW here's what I said in the hijacked thread:
    I've had both and in the same season and on the same size rims. The DW is an excellent wet weather tire. So is the Pilot Super Sport *and* the Michelin lasted me almost the whole season....which is saying something because I was out to at least 4 1morelap events and 3 all-day HPDEs run by MCO and CMP + a Shannonville one too. I gave my DD Conti DW's a whirl near the end of the season after I started cording the Michelins and can honestly say that at their price point they are an excellent tire. They don't hook up as quickly as the Michelins as their sidewalls seem to flex until the tread hooks up and then they hang in just as nicely as the Michelins. Funny, but this is pretty much what that C&D report "Monsters of Grip" said. And yes, you are getting 95% of the performance with the DW's at about 2/3 the price. Not bad.

This is a timely discussion because I purchased some nice 17x9 Ronals to put on the TT and am right in the middle of debating what to put on. I've been leaning strongly towards the DW's, mainly because of their price point and how surprisingly good they've been for me. That said, I see that the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec is getting really good reviews and the PSS is not available in the 255/40/17 size I want. You can't go wrong with the PSS's but (and I think dbg will want to chime in here) they get a bit greasy when they get hot. Greasy might be too strong a word, but there's no question that their ultimate grip does fall off when they get very hot. I suspect that a more track-focused tire like the Dunlop might be able to take repeated heat cycles better, but I'd be worried about their performance in cold and/or wet conditions like we've seen at CMP lately.

So... you can't go wrong with the DW, but you'll want to look after them on the track.
    Anyway I'm looking forward to the extra contact patch of the wider size. I was oh-so-close to buying the Dunlops but decided better the devil you know. Plus if I leave the Contis on for a couple of days after a track day I don't have to feel bad about wearing them out. If they're good enough for the CMP Mustangs, they're good enough for me.

Didn't know before the mustangs had DWs. They were pretty good, not amazing, a little slidey but easy to powerslide them, very progressive.

Now I do have to agree they were a little mushy on turn in, but compared to the radical what isn't?

Note Bridgestone has a new tire. RE-71R.

Trying to see if I can get a set to see what they are like.
    Driver for hire....

Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Chicken View Post
    A couple of us (sorry wing) hijacked this thread: http://forums.midnightruns.com/showt...t-daily-driver so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm sure there are lots of opinions about track tires. No duh. I have my own. I don't want a stonking R-Comp. Well actually I want them, I just don't need them. I need something that suits the crappy, variable weather that I've seen the last couple of years at Calabogie without having to bring two sets of tires to the track. To that end, I bought (he doesn't know it yet...check your email, Andre) a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires from Slick Automotive. I've had the DW before, but in a different size, and quite like them. I also used the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but it's not available in the size I want: 255/40/17 to match my new 17x9 track rims. FWIW here's what I said in the hijacked thread:

Anyway I'm looking forward to the extra contact patch of the wider size. I was oh-so-close to buying the Dunlops but decided better the devil you know. Plus if I leave the Contis on for a couple of days after a track day I don't have to feel bad about wearing them out. If they're good enough for the CMP Mustangs, they're good enough for me.
    If you have dedicated track wheels, why not go even better with an RS3/Rival, NT01, or RA1?
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296

1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i

LOL at spin!
    Driver for hire....

Quote Originally Posted by wing View Post
    LOL at spin!

for treaded tires, I've been impressed with the Dunlop star specs. a buddy of mine with a certain white 135 has bought more than one set. that almost never happens with him lol. I was gonna get NT01s but I stumbled on my BFG slicks used for $100....

I think the mustang greg drove in that race had the falkens on it. I`ve driven the CMP mustangs with the falkens and the conti`s. Contis were better. Less hockeypuckish.

I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar

If you already bought them, why are we doing this?
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Tire Kicker Extraordinaire Angry Chicken's Avatar

Because thread title. I'm not asking for validation of my own choice (not that insecure).

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Chicken View Post
    Because thread title. I'm not asking for validation of my own choice (not that insecure).
    YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE!!!

lol
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296

1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i

Awesome @ spin too.

Greg, what tires were those? They aren't DW's.
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Ah yes, the Falkens pucks you were mentioning.
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Ok, those are the ones I drove then when i drove the mustang, they were slidey.
    Driver for hire....

Just DD your car with RA-1's like I used to. Fun in the rain!

We have used the *spec and RS3 on our chump car. The *spec could take a beating and seemed to last forever. We could do a full 8 hours, rotate them front/back, and do another full 8 hours. When we tried the RS3, we destroyed the fronts in about 5 hours. The outside edge was chunking and falling apart down to the chord. And they were only very slightly faster. By accident we tried the ZII non star spec, horrible when cold/wet.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    Just DD your car with RA-1's like I used to. Fun in the rain!
    Just don't get caught. They are not street legal.

Although, this is coming from the guy that drove on the street several times with Goodyear cantilever slicks. Still remember a mustang trying to keep up to the SUPER bunny on an off ramp. All I saw in my mirror was headlights-taillights-headlights-taillights-curb-undercar-headlights.

R&T April 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymousetech View Post
    Just don't get caught by officer Casey. They are not street legal.
    Fixed
    Driver for hire....

Had cops look at them at the Tim's one day and not care. #luckyfuck

EDIT: They are DOT approved.