Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2015 AISA Driving Academy St-Estache or Calabogie

Planning on going to the AISA academy next year so I can tag along some of the evening bogie days.

Price went up for 2015

St Eustache 3 day - April 17th to the 19th - $ 600 ( lots of cheddar , but worth it right ? )
    Calabogie 3 day - May 1st to the 3rd - $ 1000

Anyone else planning on going ?

Where can we get more info?

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

Probably going to hell.

Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Its not really a good deal I'm afraid. Not cheap

3 days in a row learning to dive bomb. The 2nd and 3rd day are going to be very long.

Its funny that every year, on their 3rd day at Bogie ,some of these guys register to race in our GT race and practice their new found dive bombing skills without grasping the 'if you have someone faster behind you, you have to point him by rule'

You can get a race license by completing it.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

You can or you get? That's a world of difference

Can get if they think you are ok
    Driver for hire....

Better off at the MCO/BMW schools. It's a good experience if you've never done it though. Sign up for one, do the other if you like.
    161 - The Nefarious Rabbit
    86' MR2 - The Dirty Deuce
    91' CB250 - The 'Hawk
    76' CT90 - an heirloom

Quote Originally Posted by raggedrabbit View Post
    Better off at the MCO/BMW schools. It's a good experience if you've never done it though. Sign up for one, do the other if you like.

Info ? , I thought the $ 500 was a lot, then went up to $ 600 .

Info on MCO / BMW

MCO is $300 I believe.... BMW is around $400 or so?
    Driver for hire....

Last year MCO did 4 days $350 each day for the whole day 7 30 minute sessions with instructor. 3 out of 4 days where on a weekday.

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php/disciplines/lapping

Seems to be most cost efficient.
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

If you're just looking to do some lapping stick with MCO. As long as you're listening and not dangerous you'll be able to start lapping right afterwards. Greg and his guys will judge your skills usually in the first evening and decide on your ability to go solo.

ASE has a much different instructions compare to MCO & BMW club.
    Its more about racing and have a no point by passing rule

So what is recommended ? . Best bang for buck . I personally don't care about getting race license.

MCO & BMW are much safer and very good value. ASE French guys are a little crazier, not that they're not safe. it's just very different

MCO. Gets you on the track faster, and for less. Then 1morelap it all summer. Then the next year you'll get itchy and add the GT series to your lapping and really be happy

Wait till the track opens, see the calender and then see which BMW or MCO or AISA day fits best. No price or date is even out yet. I never went to a BMW one because usually the minimum was both Saturday and Sunday.
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

Wow...

So as someone who has taken the MCO school, the BMW school, and the AISA school (I now instruct at AISA as well), here are my opinions:

MCO: teaches you to lap safely, learn the limits of your car, point-by passing

BMW: ^same as above, a bit more classroom instruction, a bit stricter all around, different things (late passing, follow the leader, offline stuff, etc.), point-by passing. If you have experience, they don't care. If you have experience with BMW school, then you get bumped up. I took this school my 3rd year lapping and they put me with the newbs - I knew the track better than my instructor (he told me himself), and while I did get to lap and get different opinions, I missed 2 days of advanced driving before they finally bumped me up.

AISA: teaches you to lap safely but goes further and also introduces you to racecraft. No point-by rules, but you have to pass in dedicated zone. CONTRARY to what Mario says, dive-bombing is NOT allowed: the pass needs to be completed before the braking zone. The no-point by passing also makes you focus on looking around you more, because there just might be a car coming up. No passing also teaches you to plan & set up your passes ahead of time, instead of tailgating the car in front through the corner so he sees you. They run two groups: beginner/intermediate, and intermediate/advanced. When you sign up, you have the option of applying for your race licence. We watch you even harder if that's the case - vision, predictability, courteousness, car control, etc. If you're a beginner, don't expect to get you race licence certificate unless you really blow everyone away - there is just too much to learn. There is also theory classes and a test (flags, etc). AISA rotates 2-4 instructors in your car so you get different perspectives.

Overall: AISA gives you the biggest room to progress, but if you've never done it, it could be overwhelming. The main thing to remember, is you go at your own pace. Is it expensive, yeah, but it's still worth it IMO. I used to instruct at both the ASE and CMP days, last year and probably this year will only do CMP.

If you are unsure of the commitment, do an MCO day, and then go to AISA. I would skip BMW as IMO I found that one the most expensive with the least amount of gain.

Further to what sb_600 said....I've worked as a corner marshal during AISA school weekends....they teach the students flags. novel concept I know.

They do flag drills - waved/steady/FCC yellows, blacks, reds, etc etc. they drill it multiple times. we tracked cars who didnt get it first time around and hit them with flag combos until they got it 100%.

lots more than driving lines. lots of guys would benefit from this type of training.