Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sooooo....

Teammates?

LOL

♪ 1moreUnce ♪

The word about lapping is spreading big time! Having Calabogie close to us has helped. Not so long ago it wasn't as popular and nobody (unless into the automotive forums and events like most of us here) even knew of or heard of Shannonville and such events.

The hype is there! Everyone who is a car fan dreams of having a piece of it... but fact is it's a sport that requires respect and is no place for "know it all's". That's like saying..."holy shit, that helicopter looks awesome! How about you just let me drive the bitch!?!?"

If people want to carry attitude after you've given them options to attend such an event then they don't deserve to be there. They obviously just want to say they've done it. So yeah, G1Tour is the way to do that. As most of us I've done MCO school, autoX and shannonville before ever driving Calabogie. And I'm glad I did.

One of my first students was a guy with a really hot car but zero talent.
    Did a lot of laps with him and I thought he was at a point where he could solo.
    He was enthusiastic and really committed...but sadly messed up his car when he did finally go out solo. Hasn't been back (for this and other reasons)
    I was really bummed it happened and assume some of the responsibility.

But...some folks need to come to terms with the fact that they don't have an intuitive feel for the car or even basic instincts. Its probably best they stay off the track.

Conversely...tutored a 16yr old girl at DDT. Her first time on the track and she taught me a few things...trail braking in spots I never considered...left foot braking. An inspired and natural driver.

My other car is 10 motorcycles that don't start

I brake for baguettes and taco blankets mightymousetech's Avatar

I would not even think of recommending people go lapping without at least a full season of autox under their belt. Learn to handle your car, vehicle dynamics, how to look ahead and how to plan vehicle positioning in a low speed/safe environment. If you can't get a handle and be competitive in autox, maybe you should not be lapping.
    Last edited by mightymousetech; July 7th, 2014 at 07:57am.
    Christopher "Mighty Mouse" C.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    I was wrong about this one; enjoy this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIF-PWR View Post
    turns out for the second time in my life, I was wrong.

But there's a bigger point here. The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving.
    R&T April 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymousetech View Post
    I would not even think of recommending people go lapping without at least a full season of autox under their belt. Learn to handle your car, vehicle dynamics, how to look ahead and how to plan vehicle positioning in a low speed/safe environment. If you can't get a handle and be competitive in autox, maybe you should not be lapping.
    This.

Taparep
    Current toys:
    1997 BMW 328is race car
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2012 VW Golf R
    Spent $1300 on new fasteners when building race car

Learning how to internet mphysk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mightymousetech View Post
    yup! everything here.
    and the invite along as passenger is key. i went to calabogie the first time with only a helmet and i'm glad i did, almost as much fun as driving.

Blind

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    I know we all know. so what are you telling your friends?
    I tell them not too bother if they are complete newbs and too get a hold of you if they have track expereince.

I guess the only question I have it when you have those newbie nights, what is the different from a normal night?

I took the BMW HPDE then a couple MCO nights, no autocross experience. I think the course is really good.

novice nite, it wasn't for new drivers. It was more of an open invite to Trackwerks Clients, most of them had a couple events at shannonville, or AutoX, or CMP days on a bike, basically they've done something before or have shown why they won't be a problem, but have never driven CMP. Difference is the number of them, 20 novices, plus 20 instructors. So the expectation is it's going to be a slower nite. Usually have room for 2 or 3 on a regular nite.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

I taught myself on back roads and video games, and I turned out okay.

I tell people they will learn more taking a proper school then they can even imagine. I recommend it to my bike friends too, learn more in a day about your vehicle than in a year on the street.

Greg, I see your posters everywhere, is it not from people seeing them and emailing you?

is what ? I get more emails from people with experience.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

+1,000,000 on the "Do some autox first".

I'd also add, "Do some autox in your lapping car first".

The ego that says "autox is too slow, I'm better than that" isn't the best ego for lapping.
    condor888000's Hero
    Autox & Track: Car #27 | Mazdaspeed MX-5 | Severely driver-limited
    Weekend Fun: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si | Nothing like the Miata
    Tow Rig: 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost | Drag car in disguise
    Daily Driver: 2010 Mazda 3 GT | Stock
    uncommonpear.com
    SchmooTube

Love it when I see someone go full retard on a track build. Respect!
    ~ Gojira

Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    I tell them not too bother if they are complete newbs
    Tell them to come out for a ride. They don't know what they're missing.

Cones isn't for everyone. It's not in any racing movies/tv shows or magazines, not ego, they're just not into it. Careybrah made it work.

I agree it's an asset, bogie is full of MCO hispeed autox corners. we just need to smooth out their inputs

Blind

yeah, I tell them they should come out anyways as being a passenger is still a lot of fun. unless im driving, then youll be puking.

off topic. buying pics from turn 21 site. it asks what kind of finish I want...gloss...flat...I dont care, I just want the file to do as I please. when I pay $10 for a pick, do I get a digital copy to do as I please?

I've never AutoX'd. Could never really get into it. I've been to watch and for ridealongs a few times. Just doesn't really appeal to me. Although I'd be willing to give it a shot if I ever have a free day on a weekend.

/notlikely

I've always got the digital file when buying.

Blind

Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    I've never AutoX'd. Could never really get into it. I've been to watch and for ridealongs a few times. Just doesn't really appeal to me. Although I'd be willing to give it a shot if I ever have a free day on a weekend.

/notlikely

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    Cones isn't for everyone. It's not in any racing movies/tv shows or magazines, not ego, they're just not into it. Careybrah made it work.

I agree it's an asset, bogie is full of MCO hispeed autox corners. we just need to smooth out their inputs
    Agree it's not for everyone, and I'm not suggesting you need a multi-year career before heading to the track (I did 7 autox before my first track day) but if you try one autox day, you know pretty quickly whether your Grand Turismo skills transfer over to the real world 1:1.
    condor888000's Hero
    Autox & Track: Car #27 | Mazdaspeed MX-5 | Severely driver-limited
    Weekend Fun: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si | Nothing like the Miata
    Tow Rig: 2013 Ford F-150 EcoBoost | Drag car in disguise
    Daily Driver: 2010 Mazda 3 GT | Stock
    uncommonpear.com
    SchmooTube

Love it when I see someone go full retard on a track build. Respect!
    ~ Gojira