Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default new to track days, what do you tell your friends/coworkers that want to get in on it.

I know we all know. so what are you telling your friends?

I get emailed at least once a day from a completely green and very excited person.

Their dreams are crushed when I tell them I can't just 'let them on the track' with out some previous experience.

"I've been to every CDN Grandprix for the last 10 years, I'm familiar with flags" doesn't work.

"I'm a dad and a safe driver for 25 years" doesn't work.

Here's my general response, I get mixed results, some are into it, they've been referred by someone that appears to have said the same thing.

and others are insulted they would even need to consider some sort of track education, probably a good thing for us anyway.

" I just want to find out if I'll like it before I take a school "

Awesome, here's what I suggest. Our nites are a bit overwhelming for the first time driver, we're not a school as there's too much to learn in just a couple hours.

Drop by any of our nites, bring a helmet, or rent one from the track for 20$ each. and then find me, just ask for Greg. And I'll set you up with some good drivers to show you around the track as passengers. This will give you a good idea of what it's like.

Then take a track school, many of our drivers including myself are instructors and nearly everyone has participated in these schools. You'll be so much further ahead.

You'll find me at all of the MCO schools. They have a full day on track, you drive in your own novice run group with an instructor for $350.00. That's a great deal.
    http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php/disciplines/lapping Tell them I sent you!

Another very thorough school is offered by the BMW club. http://bmwccottawa.org/schools/advanced-driving

There is also the ASE lapping club that provides a full day of instruction at Calabogie http://www.aselc.ca/

There are also learning opportunities with CMP as well, http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/...-your-own-car/

feel free to ask me any questions any time, happy to help you get on track safely and quickly!
    I even suggest AutoX if I think they know what I'm talking about.

getting them out as a passenger never fails, they thank me for the eye opener and are well on their way. Until then...

and I try not to go into detail, http://forums.midnightruns.com/showt...ing-quot-)-FAQ stuff like that blows minds
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Defecating Dan
    Executive JCO Treasurer
    SNITCH

TL;DNR... Can I bring my car and go rassin'?

lol, sure.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Car Flipper
    Chatty Cathy
    Lloyd

Step 1, ask wife for permission

Defecating Dan
    Executive JCO Treasurer
    SNITCH

Step 2, end up at the theater watching a nicholas sparks movie.

The problem is Calabogie. Its a ‘BIG’ dangerous track. Calabogie is not a good place to start lapping. First, you will burn your brakes and tires and probably will never return to a track event because it’s going to cost you 2 or $3,000 to replace tiresand brakes. People have no idea. Some will go slow and put no significant wear on there car but will hate having faster cars on there bumpers all day. Its stressful. The track is long, 5km, and you easily get loss cause its trees everywhere.

If there from Quebec, send them to Mecaglisse. I started there with an expensive, but very good lapping course ($800). It was worth every penny, just from the instructing of preparing your car and what to except in term of track wear. Or simply join one of there lapping events in the novice group. Cheap ($150). Its slow & track is small. You can also be served in English.

Every friend that wanted to try it out for the first time, I brought there. Chances for damage is smaller on a smaller tracks & slower tracks. Its less intimidating too. Simple. If you go off, you’ll hit sand. It’ll cost you $20 for the tractor to pull you out with almost zero damage to the car.

In Ontario, I would send them to Shannonville. They have a school. Its nothing exceptional but most folks want to say they spent a day on the track and they went so fast.... which is not necessarily the case. One thing I hate though about Shannonville, is there are more business oriented than safety oriented, like you don’t need a helmet!?

Key is go for rides first like Greg says. Is this what you want to do. Once people start pulling Gs, half changes there minds. See if you have the balls for this type of thing, then find a small track. Calabogie is a big technical track. Very tough track to master. Half the corners are blind.

Locally, MCO & BMW schools are the only groups I would recommend

(Small tracks with lapping events & lapping instructing available : Mecaglisse, iCar, Saint-Eustache, Shannonville)
    Last edited by Mario; July 6th, 2014 at 08:46pm.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

^ for the people who just want to say they went to something I usually just say try the g1tour.

I recommended MCO. Still waiting to get signed off. Wish I asked more about that. Although I know it's bad to see that as your goal. Hopefully resume will be good enough for 1morelap
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

I just invite everyone out to the track to ride along. Do you like going fast? How about a ride in a race car? As above, people see the dedication to the sport and what it takes to participate from everybody at the track, but they also catch the bug having been there. There are no hard feelings after a few fast passes when you tell them they can't just get in and go.
    161 - The Nefarious Rabbit
    86' MR2 - The Dirty Deuce
    91' CB250 - The 'Hawk
    76' CT90 - an heirloom

Not exactly sure why, but my first ride along felt horrible. Blind corners and not knowing where I am going really made me nauseous and I think a stripped down car and being in a race harness didn't help. Also didn't fit in the red civic passenger seat.

After I knew the layout I didn't mind riding along in my own car.
    Initial D: Legend 3- Mugen "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTiyBtm_lM"

There you go, most ride along will totally turn people off. Its too scary. If we are to help Greg, lets take folks for nice, slow rides where you talk to them all the time instead of trying to beat our best time. Talking to them all the time is key. let them know what’s coming ahead of time. Big braking zone coming up, brace yourself. We’re going to be pulling some Gs in the next curve, are you ok with that? Stuff like that. Tell them you are barely pushing. Are you ok with that. Do you want to go faster? or not?

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

Car Flipper
    Chatty Cathy
    Lloyd

I have nothing to add, other than I did the BMW school, it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot. Think that was my first time driving on a race track — great way to do it.

well worded Greg

being interested and excited is great.. but for a person who has never been on a track is a recipe for bad shit

nothing worse than seeing a car get wrecked or a person hurt on a track.

all anyone wants is to is have fun and go home safe.

driving hard on the street or highways doesnt compare to track experience.

don't change your format... sure people might be insulted or get their nose up.. but let the newbies learn properly

just going to a race track for the first time is exciting.. way to much to learn
    too many things going on

best way for anyone interested.. invite them to an event strap on a helmet.. and take it all in slowly

shit can go bad quick on a track.. people have to remember or be prepared to walk away if it goes 4 wheels off

Car Flipper
    Chatty Cathy
    Lloyd

Actually I must have done a couple MR Shannonville days before that, because I remember my Talon rubbing with Armando in it... Then fat jokes. I had that car well before my Cooper S, which was what I had at BMW school thingy...

#memorylane #okbye

Well put, Greg. And - I agree with Mario about taking it easy with passengers and talking to them - what's coming up - how are you feeling - etc.
    "Racing is the best way to convert money into noise"

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have nothing to add, other than I did the BMW school, it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot. Think that was my first time driving on a race track — great way to do it.
    Ditto. Going 120 on the highway doesn't qualify as fast. People dont' get that until they drive the car at the limit.

I'll be back one day...

BTW anyone have a link to the different car classes for the Calabogie GT series? After seeing you guys during IMSA weekend, I'm hooked.
    Mini-riffic

When I took rides with Greg the first time out, it didn't feel so bad..maybe because it was all just so new, and I was taking everything in, but it was easier then. Only had a couple of laps that time tho..definitely stiffed me a few good ones

I had no idea how fast it really felt to be a passenger until I sat in with Sean (97gst) at the June 6th event. I swear I looked over at the speedo and we were doing 100-110kph into 1, and it felt faster than when I do it at 140 Steph was freaked out with me going @ 80% with her last year, and I can see why now...even the rear end stepping out a tiny bit prolly shook her up with zero control, and a different sense of speed.

I always invite people out, but it's only those who really mean it who actually make the 1hr trip. None of my buddies have even strapped a helmet on yet -- I've invited them multiple times over the past 2 yrs.

Tim // 2013 Elantra GT GLS 6MT; 1984 Kawasaki KZ550 (IN PARTS); 1997 NA miata track car (Build Thread!!)

Quote Originally Posted by joe_herz View Post
    Ditto. Going 120 on the highway doesn't qualify as fast. People dont' get that until they drive the car at the limit.

I'll be back one day...

BTW anyone have a link to the different car classes for the Calabogie GT series? After seeing you guys during IMSA weekend, I'm hooked.

it's classed on lap times. faster is gt1, 2:24 to 2:29 is gt2 2:29 to 2:34 is gt3, slower is gt4

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Locally, MCO & BMW schools are the only groups I would recommend
    Entrack (CMP Lapping - daytime) uses good instructors, very safety oriented. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend that. More expensive than MCO, but there are more events.

MR lapping night ride alongs are kinda like CMP "grab the dash". But is free...
    Everyone that asks me I say come out and try the ride along to feel the rush, or lack thereof. Take it from there.

Always in to give rides.

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Next time I set foot at cmp, I'm driving.... someday...
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone