Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen.

Default Watkins Glen.

Just got back from a 2 day event there.

Truly awesome.

Used all the curbs like a champ.

Better than Mosport.

SOOO much grip on that track. wow. Chris/Geoff wouldn't be able to drift.

It got hot, melted a couple axles.

Wine is ok I guess.

pics n vids laters, some are up on facebook already.

cousin G.

Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Who melted a couple axles?

me.

Left rear got way hot, grease in both boots of the same axle exploded, replaced axle, same thing later on. It was gross.

My wheel weights are always tin taped on the wheel, first time I ever melted the tape covering the weight before, only in the left rear.

It was very warm/humid, temps were highest I've ever seen for water/oil, and I'm thinking my trans cooler is the culprit, it exhausts into that wheel well, gonna change that.

Never gone that fast before, anywhere. My feet were burning up.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Awesome! I really wanna go drive there at least once.

Oh and.. exploding independent suspension luls

That fast of a track? Awesomeness. What kind of temps were you hitting? B&M has a tranny cooler with a small fan built in, if there is no where to mount the cooler where it can get good airflow.
    2760 Fenton Road
    (613) 822-6226
    nolimits@nolimitsautoparts.com

roughin it at the cabin, a/c wifi, cable, laura's

tech the nite before, got a chance to see a couple corners.
    with mario and yanrider.

The chevel was running, and fast.
    The Cascar was faster and louder.

100 cars, 3 runs groups, each run group was 40min! on track at 8:30. They put all of us in the advanced group, and it was great. Didn't take us long to figure it out.

Yans future champ

locals.

carnage, boot splitting, fist full of grease exploded out of that hole.

and this boot too, same axle. so bizarre.

wheel weight split open the seal.

finished it off with a tour ish. Tour guides first ever tour. Was expecting to not know more than her.

SO awesome man! Carnage is just part of the game! How fast did you get up to on the back straight?

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimits Autoparts View Post
    That fast of a track? Awesomeness. What kind of temps were you hitting? B&M has a tranny cooler with a small fan built in, if there is no where to mount the cooler where it can get good airflow.
    trans/diff coolers get great air flow, they use the rear brake ducts. they run like champs, no issues there. But I guess they dump the hot air into wheel well, pretty sure I can redirect their exit.

Saw 230 on the water with heater on full, and 270 on the oil ( and I have an oil cooler upfront ) It was a good idea to just run around in 4th for a couple laps, then attack again. A stock z06 guy was asking me about the coolers, since his trans was over heating at nearly 30min of use. It was so hot, thunderstorms would roll through in the afternoon like clockwork. I think I know why the glen in the fall is so popular

speed was nuts, car is geared perfect there. Enter esses at 100mph in 4th, get to the top of them at 140mph, contemplate going to 5th. Some times I would just let it ride in 4th at 140, or make it to 5th and let her keep pulling to. That was pretty much my top speed, hit 150 once but that wasn't a fast lap.

Then hitting the chicane/innerloop/bus stop at 90mph, using full car width of the curbs. Yan asked me what made me want to do that, because I saw nascar do it! Not many guys were hitting the curbs, dunno why, they're really low.
    pretty comfortable with 2:16s in the last session, squeezed out a 2:12 once. All on Nt01s. Left the slicks on the trailer. Didn't want to push my luck. Pretty happy with the experience.

man, there's no room for mistakes. gotta respect the blue! out of 100 cars, only 2 got a blue stripe.

Really good group, everyone watches their mirrors so well that the 'slower' car is already figuring out where to let you pass, by either speeding up for the next zone, or slowing early. so much respect. I started doing the same thing for the race cars. They must have been lapping in the low 2 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
    SO awesome man! Carnage is just part of the game! How fast did you get up to on the back straight?
    mostly the top of 4th gear, 140mph then just rode that till slowing for the chicane. I found it hard to get it into 5th ( never had to before ) sometimes I wasn't sure if I got 5th or 3rd, so just put it in neutral and coasted the chicane. The few times I used 5th, it kept pulling, it was crazy. Even the shorter straights are just as fast as rocky road. banked corners, soooo much grip. I'd swear the pavement at bogie is oiled down or something. just doesn't compare.

What an amazing track!! Its really a world class facility. Its so huge. Has an example this weekend, they will host a NASCAR car race and they are expecting 150,000 people! Its enormous.

The the track itself is so fast. I never been to anything like that anywhere else. Its really hard to describe. Driving on bank track in the curves was a first for me. The weirdest thing is you don’t feel it except that you are so fast. Its very scary how fast you can take turns full throttle.

It was also so hot. 32 degrees. Cars were overheating so fast. Unfortunately I did not take that many pics but here’s what I got.

IMG_1090.jpgIMG_1091.jpgIMG_1092.jpgIMG_1093.jpgIMG_1094.jpgIMG_1095.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1097.jpgIMG_1098.jpgIMG_1099.jpg

Next I’ll show you a vid of the 3 of us hitting the track together.

All I care about is my Porsche... and like maybe 3 people. —Unknown

hmm pics dont work for me?

err they do now!
    Last edited by 1Morelap; June 26th, 2013 at 08:21pm.

Pics work. Looks awesome!

Sounds awesome.

Learning how to internet mphysk's Avatar

Kick ass!

very very cool!

Tim // 2013 Elantra GT GLS 6MT; 1984 Kawasaki KZ550 (IN PARTS); 1997 NA miata track car (Build Thread!!)

The Real Grabber

This looks and sounds amazing. I must make the pilgrimage soon.

No use repeating the above. Had a blast, car was solid but didn't like the heat. Had to baby it to keep the temps under control and I need a real 5th gear. My over drive 5th limited me to 130MPH. Basically ran the hole track in 4th and consistently ran 2:24s. The traction just doesn't make sense. You're brain does not compute. I'm sure I was driving at %50 but brain thought it was %90. So awesome. I want to go again with a setup that can handle the heat and with proper gearing. Either I mod some more or I find another BTF car...

Oh and american beer and wine is weak!

Oh and I had no idea that area was so dreamy. Huge lakes, mountains, 100s of wineries and vineyards, elevation changes. Felt like I was in Europe of something. But people were dumber.

Passengers were not allowed unfortunately and my wife really wanted a ride. She's went with a senior instructor in his track prepped Boss. Envious. Fuck this even was full of sick stangs, bosses, vettes, M series' and Porches. So much srs hardware!!!

So much win gents!
    The banking plays tricks with you eh? So much history there too it's awesome.

Sounds like an awesome time! Temps were crazy hot here this week as well, not normal. Interesting to hear about the grip levels, bogie seems so grippy compared to the normal roads and the Glen is better? Nice

Gotta make the trip some day.
    Driver for hire....