Thread: Fire in turn 8.

Default Fire in turn 8.

been readin the thread, now there is video.

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22818

I was the driver that had the incident at #8 on Sunday. I'm home and I'm fine. I have a lot of folks to thanks and some lessons to share.
    First let me thank Mr. Kevin Shaubel. Kevin was a spectator who jumped the fence, grabbed an extinguisher and got to me quite a bit before anyone else. He's the one that put out a fire on my suit (explanation to follow). Now I'm sure CASC and Mosport will comment BUT Kevin saved me from more serious injuries and I'm sure glad he defied everything to get at me.

Next, I need to thank the Marshals and race medical. I was given only the best, most comprehensive care and treatment - ladies and gentlemen in white and yellow - thank you.

Lessons for drivers and recommendations both to VARAC and CASC:
    1. practice speedy car exit
    2. window safety nets may not be fireproof . In my case, on exit I had to sit on the door edge: the net was on fire and melted onto my suit. That was most of the fire that Kevin put out (I think).
    3. Cool Shirt plumbing can hang you up and keep you close to the flames. I'm not completely sure how I managed to get loose but it took a couple of hard yanks to disengage and get clear.
    4. Gateway has mentioned the existence of a simple battery shut off that reacts to impact automatically and can be reset as required from a dash mount button. In my case, I forgot the cut off switch and the electric fuel pumps continued to pump fuel from a ruptured gas line. You can be sure that this will be part of the re-build.
    5. Make sure the pin is out of the fire extinguisher button. Mine was or it would have been much worse.

I'm sure there's more to learn and bits of the incident are still coming back.

Meanwhile, thanks as well to all my racing colleagues for their best wishes.
    Race safe and I'll be back as soon as $$ and my wife allow!

Regards - Steve Clark Car #79, Trans-am Corvette
    I talked to Kevin after. I don't think he's a fireman but he is a drag racer and has had some fire safety training. In any case, he's my new best friend.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

#Rockstar
    #GuinessGamz
    #PopeGamz

Damn. Was it a track toy or a DD?

I'd like to thank God for making me an Atheist.

Vintage racer
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

#Rockstar
    #GuinessGamz
    #PopeGamz

I'd like to thank God for making me an Atheist.

poor car... glad the dude's ok. i saw a corolla burn Saturday, this is much worse.

That is why I wear the regulation suit + carbonex underwear...hot as hell...but not as hot as that.

for involved spectators.

My other car is 10 motorcycles that don't start

Why didnt any of the cars stop and get out to help??