Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Real Grabber

Default CALABOGIE - Ottawa Citizen Gentleman's GT Race Series

Hey everyone. Just to let you know, after seeing this Ottawa Citizen Mustang Race Series, I was disappointed that you could only run in a rented mustang, and the cost was certainly out of my budget. After discussions with a few other people that had the same frustrations, I started speaking with one of the owners at Calabogie Motorsports Park, and after a number of discussions over details, we managed to strike up a deal. It's pretty grassroots to for now, but i think that's half the fun! So may i present to you... the Ottawa Citizen Gentleman's GT Race Series!!!

THE OTTAWA CITIZEN GENTLEMAN’S GT RACE SERIES

Think you have what it takes to Race at Calabogie Motorsports Park. Why not test your racing skill in the Ottawa Citizen Gentleman’s GT Race Series. Limited opportunity!

What's a gentlemen's race?
    It is all about camaraderie, safety, sportsmanship and just good fun! There will be specific passing zones on a fully marshalled track, so playing nice is mandatory!

How do I Qualify
    1. You DO need to have been signed off to drive solo at Calabogie Motorsports Park, but you DON’T need a Race License. This entails having completed at least one full day at CMP with an instructor or equivalent.

2. You and your car must have an average runtime around the full track between 2:25-2:45.

3. You must be running a Hero Cam inside the car to record the race from the drivers perspective. While there should be a couple of Cams available from Calabogie MotorSports Park on a first come first serve basis, make arrangements to bring your own if you can.

4. You will require a SNELL Rated Helmet, M2000+ or SA2000+ . There will be a limited number of helmets available from Calabogie Motorsports Park, but again I would suggest you bring your own.

5. Your car must adhere to the CASC-OR Ontario Time Attack Safety Specifications located in SECTION 1 here: http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/...ons_online.pdf
    The annual inspection list can be found here: http://www.casc.on.ca/sites/default/..._checklist.pdf
    Calabogie Race officials hold the final word regarding the apparent safety of a vehicle. If they feel your vehicle is unsafe for the event, your vehicle will not be allowed on the track.

Registration

We will be limiting the total number of cars to 12 per event, so this is a limited opportunity!

To register for an event please email me at CalabogieGT@gmail.com with the following information:
    1. Name, Address, Email Address, and Phone Number
    2. Emergency Contact information: Name, Relation, Home and Cell phone number
    3. Car: Make, Model, Year, List of Modifications
    4. Experience: Minimum requirement of being signed off to drive solo at Calabogie Motorsports Park.
    5. Your average lap time around the full track.
    6. Event(s) you are registering to attend.
    7. Payment – Please list to total value of your purchase in the registration email, then follow up with an Interac Email Transfer to CalabogieGT@gmail.com . Or make arrangements to get cash to me directly. Please note your registration is not complete, and your name will not be added to the list until payment has been received.
    8. No charge cancellations can be made up to 7 days prior to an event. If purchased in bulk, cancellations will be limited, and the fees for non cancelled races (even if they have already been completed) will be changed to the single race fee, and your refund will be made accordingly. Cancellations within 7 days of the event will be charged out at the full rate.

Pricing
    Per Event - $250.00, HST included
    Bulk Events 1-4 - $800.00, HST Included
    Bulk Events 2-4 – $600.00, HST Included

Event Dates
    1. Thursday June 23, 2011
    2. Thursday July 28, 2011
    3. Thursday August 11, 2011
    4. Thursday September 8, 2011

Event Schedule
    4:00 to 8:00 PM
    4:15 to 4:45 Check-in & Registration
    5:15 to 5:45 Practice & Qualifying
    6:15 to 6:45 Gentlemen’s Race – Stadium (short) track
    7:00 to 8:00 Post Race Award Presentation & Social
    *The preceding schedule is for the Ottawa Citizen Mustang Race Series. Should there be less than 4 registrants for the GT Race, the GT race will run on track at the same time as the Mustangs. Should we have 4 or more registrants, the GT class will have its run group run during the off time of the Mustang Series.

Prizes
    With a minimum of 5 GT Class registrants for a specific event, there will be a $250.00 Calabogie Motorsports Park Gift Certificate awarded to the first place winner of that event.

This is currently a pretty grassroots event, so we are currently looking for other sponsors to provide prizes and/or gifts for either placed finishes (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Last) and/or for draws. If you or someone you know would be interested in providing prizes of some sort (gift certificates, cash, merchandise, etc.), please contact me at CalabogieGT@gmail.com

Race Rules
    Race Rules Gentlemen`s GT Race (Subject to change)
    1. Passing will be in specific zones and is by point by only, one point by per car. If you are the second car and don’t see a point by, you must wait until you do.
    2. Under no circumstances is a pass to take place without a point by signal. Once you give the point by, you must let the car pass, you may not out drag it to the next corner.
    3. Passing without a point by, or passing in a non-passing zone will result in a black flag, a warning will be given in the pit lane and a second violation will result in disqualification from that session.
    4. Blue flags will be used to indicate a closing car. Repeated disregard for the blue flag will result in a black flag and a drive through penalty, so it’s not worth disregarding the blue flag.
    5. This race is intended to introduce people to racing without the danger of car to car contact and drivers are expected to keep other’s safety in mind the whole time. We will do our best to not intrude on the racing with the blue flags but keep in mind that this series is a fun introduction, not the Montreal F1. Safety is paramount and we will pull anyone driving in an unsafe manner.

I look forward to this being a fantastic series this year, and for many years to come. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

For more information on the track or the mustang race series, please visit calabogiemotorsports.com

Thank you, and I hope to see you at the track!

Matt Edmonds
    CalabogieGT@gmail.com
    Last edited by Mechs02; June 4th, 2011 at 12:52pm. Reason: helmet, pricing and website changes/ additions, cancellation policy added

The Real Grabber

Thursday June 23, 2011 RESULTS:

Race Results
    1st Place - Greg Van Dalen - 2002 Mustang GT
    Overall Time - 28:59.826
    Fastest Lap - 1:22.554

2nd Place - Ryan Quesnel - 2005 Corvette
    Overall Time - 29:06.766
    Fastest Lap - 1:22.787

3rd Place - Lorne Edmonds - 1988 Mustang LX
    Overall Time - 30:10.484
    Fastest Lap - 1:26.685

4th Place - Matt Edmonds - 1991 Mustang
    Overall Time - 22:53.104 (DNF)
    Fastest Lap - 1:23.881

-------------

Qualifying Results
    1st Place - Greg Van Dalen - 2002 Mustang GT
    Fastest Lap - 1:24.271

2nd Place - Matt Edmonds - 1991 Mustang
    Fastest Lap - 1:25.470

3rd Place - Ryan Quesnel - 2005 Corvette
    Fastest Lap - 1:28.242

4th Place - Lorne Edmonds - 1988 Mustang LX
    Fastest Lap - 1:29.765
    --------------------------------

This was a fantastic event, and with everyone new to the short (stadium) track, it was great to see the times drop with every lap out there.

A big congratulations to Greg Van Dalen in the #16 Red 2002 Mustang who drove an amazing race and then turned it on at the end of the race for a total domination of the field and handily winning out inaugural race.

Other notes of the day:

- Ryan Quesnel had an incredible day in his 2005 Corvette shaving over 5 seconds off his fastest lap between qualification and the race.
    - Matt Edmonds had to retire early due to a blown belt and failure of one of his tires.

For anyone considering doing this event, I'm sure we will all attest that this was an amazing day. Next race we will be on track at the same time as the CMP mustangs, so its time to show them what we can do!

Mark you calendars, the next event is Thursday July 28th, 2011, and we need registrations to keep this event going, and remember if you sign up for the remaining three events you save $50 per event when you buy in bulk (see the main description in the OP for full details)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me at calabogieGT@gmail.com

See you at the track!

Matt Edmonds
    Last edited by Mechs02; July 7th, 2011 at 12:21am.

The Real Grabber

Thursday July 28, 2011 Registration:

1. Matt Edmonds - 91 Mustang
    2. Greg Van - 02 mustang
    3. Lorne Edmonds - 88 mustang
    4. Steven Fong - 2002 S2000
    5. Erwan James - Golf GTI
    6. Mani - 1999 Contour SVT
    7. James Bergeron - 2001 S2000 SS GTR SRT10
    8. Klaus Willroider - 1985 BMW 325es
    Last edited by Mechs02; July 25th, 2011 at 11:33pm.

The Real Grabber

Thursday August 11, 2011 Registration:

2. Greg Van - 02 mustang
    3.Lorne Edmonds - 88 mustang
    4. Mani - 1999 Contour
    5. Ralf - 1988 BMW 325
    6. Erwan - Golf GTI
    7. James Bergeron - S2000
    8. RandomHer0 - G35 (payment today)
    9. Mortgage dude - BMW
    10. The Fritz - Detuned Lotus
    Last edited by Mechs02; August 11th, 2011 at 11:24am.

The Real Grabber

Thursday September 8, 2011 Registration:

2. Bruce Mackie - 02 Mustang
    3. Greg Van - 02 mustang
    4.Lorne Edmonds - 88 mustang
    5. RandomHer0 - G35
    6. Pierre B - G37S
    7. Mortgage Guy - Red Bimmer
    8. Pat McDermott - Tiburon
    9. Wing - S2000 (waiting on bogie bucks to arrive at my door)
    10. Steve Greiner - 2000 Integra R
    11. Chris B - BMW Awesome
    Last edited by Mechs02; September 6th, 2011 at 08:49pm.

money sent.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Whoa!
    Driver for hire....

Cool!!!!

ohhh sept. 8th. Tempting

The Real Grabber

DOOOOO it. If we can get a good turn out, I think we can keep this event going for years to come!

srsly. I'm so pumped I had to play golf today. Perhaps the last time I play this season. because race car.

so much potential here.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

The Real Grabber

For srs. Golf is now only for when the car is in the shop!!

Seriously, anyone who thinks lapping is fun, add a little bit of "safe" and friendly competition into the mix, and it's exponentially more fun.

couple people asked me.. whats the requirement for a camera for?

The Real Grabber

Incidentdocumentation. In the unlikely event something were to go wrong, there is video from multiple perspectives.

nice!

interesting......... very interesting indeed.

The Real Grabber

For anyone who ran in last year's or is running in this years calabogie cup,you can run in this

I opened this up to MR first, but this being released to the MCO, CASC-OR and other forums by the end of today. So if this is something you are interested in, get in, because spots could be filling up quick.

good work man!

I was really excited about this but also was a dissapoint

I think the issue for lap freaks will be with the short seat time for the money and time spent (CMP Cup is $367). And then there is the fact it's on Thursdays at 4pm which means afternoons off work

But the good thing is that one hour of lap time if cheap on gas, wear and tear etc...

I will try to make it to one of them but with an expecting wife and too much work it will be difficult.

I'm anxious to see if this will be a success and I'll set myself up for next year for shizzel!

The Real Grabber

Thanks man. Its been something I've wanted to do forever, but never really had the means to get something off the ground, now it looks like everything is coming together!

Keep me in the loop with which one you might be interested in. I've got a 4 month old and too much work to do, so i know where you are coming from! Hopefully we can do it again next year, I'd love to see it grow every year!

An awesome idea for sure - I don't have the funds for it this year though i don't think
    Shawn
    Metric Homes Racing Chumpcar #296

1992 BMW 3.0L M52 325i