Default Nylon zip ties for 5 point harness slack?

I noticed that the guy driving the Ariel Atom at CMP yesterday had the slack in the top 2 straps of his 5 point harness taken up with 2 nylon zip ties (looked like about 5 loops, about 4 inches long - nylon webbing was layered up on itself).

Is it just me or is that a little unsafe? I picture the forces involved in sudden unexpected deceleration and the zip ties letting go and/or the seat belt material just popping out and creating about a foot of slack.

edit: there were metal clips on the belt attached to the crossbar - but the slack wasn't taken up with the clip then bundled, the sewn end of the belt was right at the clip. The slack was taken up by looping the seatbelt that exited the loop and went into the seat to the drivers shoulders.
    Last edited by Jethro; May 9th, 2011 at 01:58pm.

You sure it wasnt just the extra belt?

It just looks like slack after the buckles (which keep everything in place). That bundled up slack is just like the slack on your belt that you feed through the loops on your pants.

True...in that pic it definitely is slack over the metal buckle. Is that pics of the same car that was out yesterday?
    The zip tied piece was alot further back when I saw it (within a couple of inches of the cross bar).

Anyhow...was curious when I saw it. I want one of those things.

Not the same, just random internet pic.