Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track car?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I think #3 refers to a track-only car, not the S281.
    homer_doh.jpg

My choice would be a dedicated track car, or something completely gutted but still road legal that you could drive to and from the track. I like the Caterham idea. Group build!!

I even used to flat-tow (tow-bar) my Miata to the track, but you can't do this unless it's plated.

I have only ever run street cars on the track and paid the price for it once. Shit can happen quite quickly, good driver or not.
    I even had an off at Bogie with the RX-8, let's just say we were lucky... Don't want to tempt fate anymore...
    Last edited by Slick; May 31st, 2010 at 08:51pm.
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I even had an off at Bogie with the RX-8, let's just say we were lucky... Don't want to tempt fate anymore...
    LOL.

I had dirt and grass in my nose for 2 days...
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

I'd love a dedicated track car but it wouldn't be one I didn't care about so that factor is out the window. I would like to have like an Arial Atom, Ultima GT-R or something.

An old gutted BMW or something else I didn't care about would be fun too since I would push it much more than I would anything I care about. I am a very conservative driver on the track in my RX-7.

MortgaGeoff

I've been contemplating the same thing. I'm surprised Andre didn't plug his own sale, so I'll do it for him. I actually copied the link before realizing he posted in this thread.

http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10164

Problem solved. You have the tow vehicle. Parts for that are stoopid cheap (JP bought a used motor AND tranny for $650), so all you need is the trailer, and there's lots of room in the $10k budget.
    Geoff Chislett
    Principal Broker, Mortgage Alliance Ottawa
    gchislett@tmacc.com
    613-227-8813 x.101
    "Ask me how you could win $100,000"

Car Flipper
    Chatty Cathy
    Lloyd

Dang, I need deeper pockets to hang out with you people.

Yeah Andre's Miata is sooooo tempting. One thing to also consider despite your best efforts your budget will increase because you will now have to get tires for this new car more wheels etc etc. It's a disease!

Problem with starting with a fast car is you may be disappointed with a slower car it is hard to go back. Also fuel bill goes up a lot towing to the track that's for damn sure. I figure a day at bogie is $1000 ish $200 in fuel, $350 for the track time, tires brakes etc.... ugh.
    Driver for hire....

I have been moving towards a dedicated track car for the past year-ish now. When I bought the 2nd Forester I strongly considered a 2004-06 Z06 as they are essentially track ready as-is. I'd love a Lotus Elise but they're stupid expensive in Canada. I'll more than likely pick up an S2000 in the next 2 years. Sub $10k, small in the garage to store, Honda reliablity and fun at the track.

Posting with a little green alien! F U Iphone!!

If you have a dream for another nice car to cruise in I would make the mustang your track car since it is well on it's way to being what you want for the track and purchase a Vette to do the Friday night cruise thing. I am slowly converting the STI into a track only car that will not be very comfortable on the road. I am thinking of picking up a C6 z06 in another 4 years and keeping it somewhat close to stock.

ya the Saleen has sentimental value so I would no convert it. As a matter of fact I would pull off a few parts to make it more comfortable on the raod and friday nights. This is why an 05 and up stang would be good because I would have parts, wheels etc for it. And I'm used to them, know how to fix them etc and love the V8's. I can't do smaller (no offence) it's my thing, I have 3 V8's at home lol. A gutted and prepped 300-350HP Stang or vette would be alot faster than my 500HP boat, and could run 87 octane with cheap oils! A 300HP rental stang has been driven at 2.20 seconds around bogie! I think I'll finish this season conservatively and defenetly keep my eyes open for a deal.

IMO, Trailered track car will get boring, man up and take it racing door to door or timed competitions. Lots of places in quebec ontario to get your feet wet.
    Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

Calabogie GT1 Champion 2012 and 2013. Calabogie Cup Challenge Champion 2012 www.1morelap.ca

with my car? "are you well?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1Morelap View Post
    IMO, Trailered track car will get boring, man up and take it racing door to door or timed competitions. Lots of places in quebec ontario to get your feet wet.

that for around 10K would be awesome lol

Quote Originally Posted by yanrider View Post
    with my car? "are you well?"
    I didn't mean your car, option 3 trailer track junk... lap days only go so far, eventually every track car I've seen get's numbers painted on the sides.

try here too homer.

http://www.racingjunk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yanrider View Post
    that for around 10K would be awesome lol

lol, the list of wheels/tires alone is 10k

Are you well lol

Yan, Im like you, stick with what you know.

For you its Mustangs, for me it's 350z/G35's. I'd like to see myself in a RB 240, or Old Datsun or something...

Would just make things easier.
    Last edited by RandomHer0; June 1st, 2010 at 08:08am.

SRSLY. A dedicated track car would be awesome, but hard to justify only doing lapping days vs the cost.

ya for sure, but in my case it's easier becasue I have a truck I won't need....BAM

Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    SRSLY. A dedicated track car would be awesome, but hard to justify only doing lapping days vs the cost.

oh ya for sure, racing would come next. Going to Mosport brought back memories of racing Moto X, just getting the shits in the pits is all morning makes it all worth it

I didn't mean your car, option 3 trailer track junk... lap days only go so far, eventually every track car I've seen get's numbers painted on the sides.

try here too homer.

http://www.racingjunk.com/