Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track car?

Default Track car?

So I've been thinking about getting one for year or two now, but I always felt like using the Saleen justified having it. But as the car and myself are getting faster and faster every event, I'm starting to be conserned for my safety and the car itself. I srsly plan to keep than thing untill I die and get burried in it.
    I'm at the the point where I;

1.stop moding it (including not running NT01's once they're done) and just drive it as it is and "sand bag"

2.get a trailer and set it up for track days at home, then reset it for street when I get back home.

3.get a trailer and track car and not give a dam if I damage it or whatever.

I guess the big question if will it make me feel less guilty/worried for the car, safety and boost the fun factor

That's something that always makes me hesitant at track days.. i would hate myself if i pulled a gary and trashed my car. If i had a dedicated track car that i didn't care if I damaged it.. would be much more fun for me.

I think that's the case for most of us on here.

#3 would be the most fun imo.
    Eric Gibeault, CFP
    Certified Financial Planner | Planificateur financier certifiť
    RocheBanyan 10-5310 Canotek Rd., Ottawa, ON, K1J 9N5
    ☏ (613) 842-7243 📠 (613) 746-0720
    egibeault@rochebanyan.ca

Blind

its 1 reason why im still debating if I really want to part out my bmw...it would make a great track car!

ya when started lapping a few years ago I wans't worried as I and most of us where not too fast and there was no real danger, but things are changing, and I want to step it up and go balls deep. I've created a Monster and now I have to feed it. Mosport didn't help lol

Funny, I was day dreaming today and looking at salvaged 350z's to gut and track.

1. Need Room - You have it.
    2. Need Trailer - Can be easily obtained
    3. Buy cheap car for sole purpose to thrash in - Doit.

You can do all of these.

I can't. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by yanrider View Post
    ya when started lapping a few years ago I wans't worried as I and most of us where not too fast and there was no real danger, but things are changing, and I want to step it up and go balls deep. I've created a Monster and now I have to feed it. Mosport didn't help lol
    So true man, that track is ballsy. Imagine what would happen if we had an "issue", I'd be heart broken but it won't stop me.

Gotta pay to play.

lol I was on ezsalvage.com today...wet dreaming

If it comes down to it, would be a 05 and up Stang or C5 C6 vette...10K budget MAX plus trailer

It's doable, just need to sell one of my redeundent trucks to make space in yard and budget slash not getting kicked out of the house..sold the van last night, so it's a start

also that track bike that I don't use

I wouldn't doo #3. That car means alot to you... I wouldn't want to twist that thing up on the track. Then again, you never know what can happen on the streets either.

A C5 or C6 would probably make a better track car. Aren't they lighter too?

♪ 1moreUnce ♪

All depends how much money you are willing to spend. You have the car pretty damn near dialed in as it sits. Now you'd have to start all over on another.

My concern knowing you is that you will always complain there isn't enough power (if you go stock GT). You'd probably be happier with a C5. But it will end up costing you more than just 10 grand as you know you will mod it lol. Maybe a cheaper car to gut to start like older M3 or something? I dunno...

But I do understand the "saving" the stang situation! Guess it's hard to relate since I don't have a car I care that much for, nor do I have the place and budget to add a track dedicated beast!
    Last edited by evoly; May 31st, 2010 at 06:54pm.

That's my plan with Crispy. Full track car by next year.
    Whatever you chose make sure it is easy to work on and doesn't use exotic parts...

Start with 2, end up at 1 later.

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

#3.

My plan so far...
    2003 Dodge Ram to tow shit around(already have it)
    Decent car trailer with tire rack and shit, 2K(alot less less if I build it myself once I move into the new house this autumn)
    Salvaged car that i'll strip or a pre-built ex-race-car and drove like I stole it... sometimes this winter maybe...
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

I'll quote that when you don't doit.

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHer0 View Post
    I'll quote that when you don't doit.
    Too late, I quoted you saying you would quote me already.

I'll see how the finances goes once I move in, then take it from there. But i'll have some dedicated track toy soon enough, that's for sure. Driving hard on a track without having that lil angel telling you that you need to drive your car back is something else... I did once a long time ago and I still remember that whole session like it was yesterday. I miss that big time.
    "Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have." -- Louis E. Boone

Like you guys I'm in the same boat with the X. I started off just wanting more power, but the more I track it the more I mod it until now it's completely uncomfortable for the street but it's replacement costs keep me from really trying to push it. Thus my current search for a fun, cheap track toy like the Caterham 7. Costs little to maintain, barebones and performs like an Ariel Atom. Only prob for me is the lack of room in my 2 car garage, which I'm trying to remedy by next summer with a new house.

Great track cars would be old E36 M3s, Porsche 944 turbos, miatas, 240's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And whatever you track, regardless of how hard you drive, you have to be able to walk away from it if something happens...

Quote Originally Posted by daft_mx5 View Post
    And whatever you track, regardless of how hard you drive, you have to be able to walk away from it if something happens...
    And this is why I think #3 is not a good choice. That car is beautiful. Get a dirty and banged up car to trash around the track. Flat black with rivetted wide-body, preferably.

Vertically Unchallenged
    Sir Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by daft_mx5 View Post
    Exactly why i'd rather drive a slower but dedicated car. I respect guys like Carey and Yan who drive the balls out of their turbo cars on a track but shit happens and happens real fast at those speeds.

E30-E36, Miatas, Civics. Cheap, fast enough to have fun, tons of aftermarket support.

That's the way I see it anyway... or i'm just too chicken to drive a 300+WHP car on a track full tilt knowing I wont make it back alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewired View Post
    And this is why I think #3 is not a good choice. That car is beautiful. Get a dirty and banged up car to trash around the track. Flat black with rivetted wide-body, preferably.
    I think #3 refers to a track-only car, not the S281.
    Andre C.
    2013 FR-S Firestorm Red 6MT