EviltKenny

Default Etest Exemption years...

As Far as I was concerened, vehicles older than 20years old are exempt from the test, UP untill 1987.

for some reason 1988+ cars are not exempt untill they are 30 years old which is when they are considered "classic" cars?

I tried searching online, and just found a bunch of bullshit...

Below is from the MTO Driveclean website...so in 2010, cars from 1989 and older are exempt? .....meanwhile i'm reading everywhere else that 1988+ are no longer exempt...FML
    http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/

1987 and older, exempt. 1988 and younger, not exempt. If you're really unsure: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/ldv_when.asp
    MidnightGUNS

Quote Originally Posted by TTC View Post
    This is real life not the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Sunde, co-founder of The Pirate Bay View Post
    We don't use the expression IRL. We say "Away from Keyboard". We think the Internet is for real.

EviltKenny

alright.

SO...with this said, if I were to wait untill 2010 (few days) to register a 1988 vehicle to my name, would I thus be exempt from testing?

Car Flipper
    Chatty Cathy
    Lloyd

Don't think so.

Not sure. Here's what I tried:

Test required.

This is based upon the information you provided as shown below.

Postal Code:
    K1E 1Z9
    Model Year: 1988
    Expiry Date: December 31, 2009
    No test required. Your vehicle does not need a test for renewal before your January 1, 2010 expiry of your vehicle licence plate sticker, but a test may be required to transfer ownership of the vehicle.

This is based upon the information you provided as shown below.Postal Code: K1E 1Z9
    Model Year: 1988
    Expiry Date: January 1, 2010
    Maybe it's not that simple though.
    MidnightGUNS

We don't use the expression IRL. We say "Away from Keyboard". We think the Internet is for real.

EviltKenny

did the exact same trial but with my postal code (K4K 0B3) and got the same results.

like a 1 days difference determines whether I need a test or not...

basically this would determine as to whether I can prooooo-seeeeeed with my project I have sitting @ idle...f'ken provincial redtape causing me cavalier headaches.
    Last edited by EviltKenny; December 30th, 2009 at 11:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by EviltKenny View Post
    f'ken provincial redtape causing me cavalier headaches.
    So you're building a 88 cavalier ? Sweet project !

like a 1 days difference determines whether I need a test or not...
    One day makes a difference because you only need a test every second year. Odd years vs. even years.

Light-duty vehicles that are 1988 model year and newer require testing every two years beginning in the fifth calendar year after their model year. Vehicles of the 1987 and older model years are exempt from testing. As a consumer protection measure, an emissions test is required for an ownership transfer for vehicles with a model year older than the current calendar year to help ensure that consumers do not unwittingly purchase a used vehicle with emissions problems. Vehicles of the 1987 and older model years are also exempt from this requirement.
    Originally, vehicles under 4,500 kg (cars, SUV, light trucks) and over 3 years old (and up to the 19th year) required an emission test every two years before the vehicle's owner or lessor can renew its license plate. Starting with 2006, the test exemption was increased to five years, while the rolling exemption at 20 years ended, and all 1987 and older vehicles became excempt
    The Drive Clean program has undergone several changes since its introduction in 1999 under then Ontario Premier Mike Harris. In 2003, standards for light-duty vehicles were tightened to require 11.5% lower vehicle emissions than the most stringent American EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) recommended standards. On November 18, 2005, then Minister of the Environment (Ontario) Laurel Broten announced several proposed changes to the Drive Clean program[2]. Standards were tightened by a further 11.5%. Newer vehicles, which have a very high pass rate due to better emission control technology off the assembly line, were exempted from the program until they are five years old. At the other end of the age spectrum, the exemption for vehicles 20 years old and older was phased out. Vehicles built in 1988 and afterwards would have "fallen out" of the program after 19 years (for instance, a 1988 vehicle would no longer need testing after 2007). As a result of this change, such vehicles must continue to be tested every two years as long as they are on the road. Vehicles built in 1987 or before have now left the program permanently.

EviltKenny

what a bloody shitbag system.

ghey
    MidnightGUNS

what a bloody shitbag system.
    horrible system. it believe when it was brought in, initially any car that was 20 years old was exempt. they later changed it to 87 and older.

Quote Originally Posted by scottxkillyou View Post
    horrible system. it believe when it was brought in, initially any car that was 20 years old was exempt. they later changed it to 87 and older.
    yup, the year after i bought my 88, they changed it.