PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 Formula 1 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slick
January 16th, 2018, 09:48am
Time to start a 2018 thread.

So Williams finally confirmed what we thought, Sirotkin is announced as the other driver alongside Stroll.
Surprisingly, Kubica is reserve driver though, meaning the young Russian better step up or Kubica will be ready to step in.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42700482

What else for 2018?

Testing in 6 weeks or so, starting Feb 26.

Ferrari launch is only one scheduled so far, on Thu, Feb.22 just ahead of testing.

Car/reg changes for 2018:

Halo introduction
Sharkfin banned
T-wing banned
Suspension design clarified to eliminate any ride height changes during cornering
Power unit changes from 4 allocated, down to three each of internal combustion engines (ICE), heat motor generator units (MGU-H), and turbochargers (TC)
Further restrictions against the practice of oil burning, where engine oils are burned as fuel to boost performance, were also introduced.
Two more tire compounds available: HyperSoft, UltraSoft, SuperSoft, Soft, Medium, Hard and SuperHard, not including Intermediate and Wet tires.

Eager yet?

Think Mercedes will be the clear favorite with Ferrari anxious to take the fight to them and make good.

Biggest question is what teams will be fighting for the remaining podiums? McLaren should not be underestimated with the new Renault engine, but so should Red Bull, and the factory Renault team in there with Hulk and Sainz. Force India (or Force F1 as new naming suggests) are in the mix too.

Williams is an unknown, expect Haas to be midfield again, and Sauber at the back with the new Honda-engined Toro Rosso with the young-uns?

Pete
January 16th, 2018, 09:53am
McLaren has to come out strong or it'll be a long year for them again...

tellum
January 16th, 2018, 10:04am
Merc and Ferrari at the top again I think. Would love to see RedBull and McLaren get some podiums though.
And obviously would be great to see Stroll up there as well, but don't think Williams has the money/tech to keep up.

Erwan
January 16th, 2018, 10:28am
"Williams said throughout the process that its driver decision would be based purely on performance and it is believed Sirotkin was clearly the quickest at Yas Marina."

"It took several weeks to iron out the contract details with Sirotkin, who is believed to bring a financial package worth round £15million, and his team."

Really...performance you say.... :lololol: now sure what % of Williams' budge 15 million pounds is, but a nice to have I'm sure... :P

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-announces-sirotkin-as-stroll-s-teammate-996281/?s=1

And....agreed Merc and Ferrari will be there at the top - I think the real interesting racing will happen between Redbull, Renault and McLaren...all having the same engine.

97gst
January 16th, 2018, 01:10pm
Yeah LOL at Williams having 2 pay drivers now and claiming it's "purely on performance".

Fans are dumb, but they're not that dumb.

daft_mx5
January 16th, 2018, 05:10pm
Sirotkin was clearly faster than Kubica. No denying that.
But Stroll could be on hot seat me thinks.

karmaboy
January 16th, 2018, 05:31pm
James Allen had some interesting feedback on his blog.
Basically Stroll and Sirotkin are financing the team.
Sirotkin was obviously fast on single laps (but Kubica was faster on long runs).

But Kubica has the experience to set up a car and provide useful feedback to the engineers.
So, he takes the car during practice and sets it up for the pay drivers on the weekend.

Kubica knows how to entertain sponsors and talk to the media...stuff he can teach to the kids.

The kids contracts are up in 2 years. So being an mentor and ambassador for the team is a good warmup for an eventual main gig.

Pete
January 16th, 2018, 06:09pm
The kids contracts are up in 2 years. So being an mentor and ambassador for the team is a good warmup for an eventual main gig.

Not a bad plan, and i'm sure he's well compensated also in the mean time. A good way to have some experience to feed the "kids" while promoting future talent in a way.

I12XLR8
January 16th, 2018, 08:38pm
Subscribed because I know nothing about F1

Mario
January 16th, 2018, 09:39pm
More money will keep Stroll around if he doesn’t perform better. Pretty sure he’ll do a 3rd season, a 4th, maybe not without exceptional results.

Mario
January 22nd, 2018, 06:40pm
If this is the new livery, that’s awesome looking

We’re a month away from the official release.

Slick
January 22nd, 2018, 06:49pm
Would be nice, but McLaren has a habit of sharing outsider concepts.

Another month until launch and testing!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

tellum
January 22nd, 2018, 06:50pm
Stupid halo

Pete
January 22nd, 2018, 07:10pm
Cant unsee it.

Slick
January 24th, 2018, 08:45am
'New Ferrari engine generates more than 1000hp'

https://www.maximumf1.com/nieuws/formula-1/148510/new-ferrari-engine-generates-more-than-1000hp

In the world championship last year, one of the deciding factors for the victory of Mercedes was that the German team had the most powerful engine in the field. The power unit generated 15 hp more than that of competitor Ferrari, but this year the Italians seem to have countered this and taken a big step forward during the winter break.

Leo Turrini, journalist and Ferrari insider claims, 'Ferrari has succeeded in dieting the new power source,' on his Quotidiano blog. 'The biggest advantage for Mercedes was that they had a slimmer overall package, but Ferrari has succeeded in significantly reducing the weight of their new car. The 1000 horsepower has already been tapped on the test bench.'

Would be great if they did, someone has to take the fight to Merc.
Not a fan of Vettel at all, and last year he showed me again why, but don't need Hamilton running away with it again this year.

Kimi has the talent but Bwoah about everything, don't think he has the motivation anymore. Would be nice to see Kimi snatch a second championship from under their two noses.

Pete
January 24th, 2018, 08:52am
Kimi has the talent but Bwoah about everything, don't think he has the motivation anymore. Would be nice to see Kimi snatch a second championship from under their two noses.

Kimi is the kind of guy that would win the championship with 1-2 first place and a bunch of 2nd/3rd finish... and when the interviewer asks him how he feels after winning he'll just be "ok I guess, like last time I won one" and go away leaving the reporters with a WTF look on their face.

petawawarace
January 24th, 2018, 12:39pm
Alonso asked about testing a Nascar stockcar and if hes ever talked to Kimi about his Nascar deal ""With Kimi it's quite difficult to talk about anything!"

lol

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-interested-in-nascar-test-998729/

Slick
January 24th, 2018, 06:17pm
This would be a nice livery, but not sure Gulf Oil is a sponsor? Posted on Alonso's IG.

Thought they currently have a contract with Mobil, unless that was part of the Honda deal. edit: Yeah, Mobil is gone it appears.

Would be nice to see this along with the Wiliams Martini. Bring back the old!

Mario
January 24th, 2018, 07:38pm
If Kimi were to really fight Vettel, like Nico did, meaning doing what needs to be done, like get in his head off track and even hit him on track, that would be the end of him with Ferrari, but damn, it would be epic. He could definitely do it

Slick
January 24th, 2018, 08:14pm
If Kimi were to really fight Vettel, like Nico did, meaning doing what needs to be done, like get in his head off track and even hit him on track, that would be the end of him with Ferrari, but damn, it would be epic. He could definitely do itWhat a way to retire. Kimi doesn't give a crap.

Pete
January 24th, 2018, 08:17pm
If Kimi were to really fight Vettel, like Nico did, meaning doing what needs to be done, like get in his head off track and even hit him on track, that would be the end of him with Ferrari, but damn, it would be epic. He could definitely do it

All he would have to do is be friendly and upbeat to everyone all of a sudden... :lol:

Slick
January 26th, 2018, 09:36am
When did MR decide to sponsor F1?
@Jethro

Pete
January 26th, 2018, 09:37am
:pound:

Angry Chicken
January 26th, 2018, 07:25pm
^^^
@Slick: pretty hilarious in light of all the talk about the 2019 regulations where they want to make the bodywork on the cars more friendly for sponsorship ad placement. One of the areas that the teams shot down in particular, was reducing the number of elements in the front wings. They said that sponsorship needs should not outweigh technical needs. LOL.

faster
January 26th, 2018, 07:57pm
Half way through Adrian Newey's book. Wow, amazing perspective, so interesting to read what was going with him between 1981 and 1994. Just finished the section on Imola 2014; gives me goosebumps, still so sad. Looking forward to reading about his switch to Mclaren then Red Bull.

Mario
January 29th, 2018, 06:09pm
Walking around incognito, well almost.

snail
January 29th, 2018, 06:29pm
Wow really?? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

karmaboy
January 29th, 2018, 09:13pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11531974/We-need-to-talk-about-Lewis-Hamiltons-hair.html

Slick
January 30th, 2018, 07:35am
So Alonso the Machine will do a full WEC season this year and next, alongside F1!

Surprised that no events are in conflict, I know LeMans is in between F1 races but will have to check out the rest of the calendar.

petawawarace
January 30th, 2018, 08:28am
So Alonso the Machine will do a full WEC season this year and next, alongside F1!

Surprised that no events are in conflict, I know LeMans is in between F1 races but will have to check out the rest of the calendar.

So awesome. He will miss the Fuji round of the WEC as it conflicts with the US grand Prix. But that's still pretty good

Slick
January 30th, 2018, 08:42am
So awesome. He will miss the Fuji round of the WEC as it conflicts with the US grand Prix. But that's still pretty goodI'm sure his buddy's were all MR on him like "Dude, you better do it now before you get married".

Mario
January 30th, 2018, 07:51pm
MoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoney

https://youtu.be/FDrolrgtuIk

Pete
January 31st, 2018, 10:38am
F1 is dying.. done, finite, kaput, niet...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261

Formula 1: 'Grid girls' will not be used at races this season

raggedrabbit
January 31st, 2018, 12:04pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261

This is a good article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42358512/why-i-loved-being-an-f1-grid-girl

People have forgotten why we are here, on this planet. The pendulum has swung the other way I guess.

We are supposed to fuck each other.

faster
January 31st, 2018, 12:08pm
One way or the other.

petawawarace
January 31st, 2018, 12:36pm
Grid-girls for 1Morelap nights?

yanrider
January 31st, 2018, 01:21pm
that's sad...why the hell are sensitive womens watching F1??

Slick
January 31st, 2018, 01:24pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261James Hunt is rolling over in his grave.

petawawarace
February 1st, 2018, 12:19pm
looks like the Japanese round of the WEC is asking to move its date so that Alonso can compete there...lol.

Slick
February 1st, 2018, 12:37pm
looks like the Japanese round of the WEC is asking to move its date so that Alonso can compete there...lol.Star power...

Mario
February 1st, 2018, 01:44pm
Grid girls are used in all kind of racing sports, even cycling. The main purpose was to make any podium picture more attractive when published the next day in newspapers around the world. Simple marketing on the part of the organizers that worked! hard to miss 4 gorgeous women with an ugly sweaty racer in the middle on the front page. Makes you forget the fat politicians standing in the back.

faster
February 3rd, 2018, 10:46am
Finished reading Newey's book. Wish there was a sequel, love all the F1 stores... except the one from 5/1/1994. Neat to know that he name his daughter Charlotte after the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

daft_mx5
February 3rd, 2018, 10:48am
Nice need to order that one.
And F1 Elvis’s book too The Mechanic.

faster
February 3rd, 2018, 10:53am
And F1 Elvis’s book too The Mechanic. Thanks, my next read!

daft_mx5
February 6th, 2018, 01:10pm
Errr coming out soon on Amazon.
Wow we.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/jalopnik.com/new-amazon-documentary-series-goes-inside-mclarens-awfu-1821963805/amp

Slick
February 6th, 2018, 04:59pm
Stroll looking to the future for a move to Merc? Won't hurt!

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/16829

Mercedes partners with Tommy Hilfiger in multi-year deal
After Hugo Boss decided not to renew their deal with the Mercedes team in order to join up with Formula E, Tommy Hilfiger has stepped into the fray and the distinctive logo will be seen on the Mercedes W09 and on all team clothing.

"We are delighted to welcome Tommy Hilfiger to Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport and back to the world of Formula One," said Toto Wolff, Team Principal. "It is always exciting to embark on a new partnership, particularly when it touches such a key area of our team's image; I am positive that it will energize our brand and bring a new spin to how we are perceived from this season.

"We are excited to see how Tommy Hilfiger will dress the team this season and to showcase their exciting plans to the fans of Formula One."

The brand is no stranger to Formula 1 having previously sponsored Lotus in the early 1990s and also linked up Ferrari for a number of years.

"From the first time I attended a Formula One race, I was completely fascinated by the world of motorsports," added Tommy Hilfiger. "To be re-entering this arena with World Champions Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport and their number one team is an incredible way to fuse fashion and Formula One.

"I recognize the passion, spirit and drive that the entire Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport team shows at every race, and these shared qualities are why I'm excited to partner with them for the upcoming seasons."

faster
February 6th, 2018, 08:41pm
And interesting the Hilfiger relationship to Stroll.

daft_mx5
February 6th, 2018, 09:27pm
As if Mercedes even needs a dime of stroll $.

faster
February 7th, 2018, 05:47am
True

daft_mx5
February 8th, 2018, 07:22am
Been thinking about Tommy Hilfiger...and made zero sense with Merc. They don’t need any $.....but Williams sure as hell do.
So perhaps....that was part of the pay driver arrangent with Stroll, where daddy “buys” a big (possibly inflated) sponsorship with the mothership, and they in turn send a bunch of Merc engines to Williams.

?

Slick
February 8th, 2018, 08:15am
Been thinking about Tommy Hilfiger...and made zero sense with Merc. They don’t need any $.....but Williams sure as hell do.
So perhaps....that was part of the pay driver arrangent with Stroll, where daddy “buys” a big (possibly inflated) sponsorship with the mothership, and they in turn send a bunch of Merc engines to Williams.

?Don't think it's that planned. They just needed a new supplier for clothing and Hilfiger is an obvious choice given the Stroll connection. Certainly doesn't hurt being more connected with Merc.

petawawarace
February 9th, 2018, 10:34am
Watched the first few episodes of the McLaren series on Prime. So far its pretty good. I enjoy the technical side vs. the drivers, but still very entertaining.

Scruffy
February 9th, 2018, 12:43pm
Kinda relevant to more than just F1, but feels appropriate here: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/motorsports-f1-indy-tire-development-secrecy/

Good read. Pretty crazy the lengths tire manufacturers go to.

faster
February 9th, 2018, 02:18pm
Wow, that is interesting. I've seen stewards clean tracks before, didn't know the rubber was one if the things they collected.

petawawarace
February 9th, 2018, 02:33pm
Indycars new head protection device.

better than F1s halo for sure. I think a little more styling and a little lower and it would be great

petawawarace
February 9th, 2018, 02:37pm
Kinda relevant to more than just F1, but feels appropriate here: https://www.wired.com/2016/07/motorsports-f1-indy-tire-development-secrecy/

Good read. Pretty crazy the lengths tire manufacturers go to.

that is pretty cool.

petawawarace
February 10th, 2018, 10:23am
They've officially moved the Fuji WEC race so Alonso can make it. Now the Fuji race is the same weekend as Petit Lemans which a bunch of drivers can now not do both. It's pissed a lot of people off to move the date because of Alonso.

Slick
February 10th, 2018, 10:34am
They've officially moved the Fuji WEC race so Alonso can make it. Now the Fuji race is the same weekend as Petit Lemans which a bunch of drivers can now not do both. It's pissed a lot of people off to move the date because of Alonso.They don't care, they know how much exposure Indy got last year with him there.

petawawarace
February 10th, 2018, 10:40am
They don't care, they know how much exposure Indy got last year with him there.

Yup for sure. It will be better for the series.

Slick
February 15th, 2018, 01:25pm
Interesting shift to front weight bias, new Haas F1.

petawawarace
February 15th, 2018, 05:08pm
Interesting shift to front weight bias, new Haas F1.

i don't think weight bias will be affected much there. That picture is referenced off the wings. I think they've just adjusted the location of the wings.

Pete
February 15th, 2018, 05:27pm
i don't think weight bias will be affected much there. That picture is referenced off the wings. I think they've just adjusted the location of the wings.
Ya, shorter nose and longer rear section.

Slick
February 15th, 2018, 08:32pm
Very close to last year's Ferrarihttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180216/803eaf81e4aca1bc917f084f5bad1053.jpg

1Morelap
February 16th, 2018, 08:53am
ferrari wheels sit further rearward.

Slick
February 16th, 2018, 10:56am
Already miles ahead from 2017 (for those of you that watched the documentary)

https://youtu.be/LRA3woRhKBA

1Morelap
February 16th, 2018, 11:34am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRBylo7xtZY

Slick
February 16th, 2018, 12:17pm
Yeah, don't discount the Williams this year. With Paddy Lowe expect a good car, he came in too late last season to have any impact on the 2017 car.

Pete
February 16th, 2018, 12:30pm
Make F1 great again.

faster
February 19th, 2018, 09:42am
2018 RB14, not in "racer ready colors".

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/147511-red-bull-reveals-its-2018-challenger#!AP_1UTJ7T1VD1W11_news

Pete
February 19th, 2018, 09:47am
That actually looks damn awesome.

dwarrick
February 19th, 2018, 10:12am
https://mobile.twitter.com/redbullracing/status/965569027929239553

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daft_mx5
February 19th, 2018, 10:50am
Love the livery as it is.
And looks like Newey went full Newey on the design. This should be good.

faster
February 19th, 2018, 06:47pm

faster
February 19th, 2018, 06:47pm
I'm not hating the halo has much as I thought I would.

Slick
February 19th, 2018, 07:00pm
"It's fine" - GVD

Slick
February 19th, 2018, 07:04pm
https://youtu.be/SkY_6CNp3DE

daft_mx5
February 19th, 2018, 07:23pm
He’s the real deal. ^

Pete
February 19th, 2018, 07:30pm
That track pic of the liveries looks freaking awesome, even better.

And the halo... well, it's there to stay.

I still cant unsee a flip-flop tho.

Slick
February 21st, 2018, 04:12pm
I think they've just adjusted the location of the wings.

Good point. Did some adjustment of the following images and you can more clearly see the changes this way.

Interesting to see how far off the Haas was from last year, their nose and wings further back than last year, while Renault is opposite and a bit further forward from their 2017 car.

petawawarace
February 22nd, 2018, 12:27pm
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-would-take-a-chainsaw-to-the-halo-1007659/

I agree. It looks so bad

Slick
February 23rd, 2018, 07:10am
McLaren MCL33 in Papaya Orange! Looks great with the blue contrast too.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180223/640f2c762cad1eb5efd768b541599f13.jpg

daft_mx5
February 23rd, 2018, 07:45am
Yaaaasssssss

tellum
February 23rd, 2018, 08:32am
Yuuuuup

Slick
February 23rd, 2018, 09:55am
Good link with some McLaren interviews from shakedown in Spain

http://www.f1undercover.com/alonso-fires-heads-pit-lane/

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 09:31am
Interesting start to F1 testing.

Lap times are already 1 sec faster for Day 1 than last year (1:21.765 vs 1:20.179 for Ricciardo 2018)
Alonso managed 10 laps this morning before the rear wheel came off.
Back on track, he manages a 1:21.339 (already faster than all of winter testing 2017)
Renault seems up to pace as well, with Hulk in 21's.
Toro Rosso Honda managing some good mileage with 89 laps so far, most by any team!
Sauber still slowest by quite a margin, barely in the 24's.

tellum
February 26th, 2018, 09:36am
Those fucking halos. Gawd

Pete
February 26th, 2018, 09:38am
89 laps for Torro Rosso Honda? fawk, that's more laps than Alonso did last season! :lol:

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 10:21am
Not quite over for the day but temps dropping and flurries at the track:

Laps tally (order based on lap times):

Ricciardo 84;
Bottas 58;
Raikkonen 77;
Hulkenberg 73;
Alonso 33 and only one out on track
Hamilton 25;
Hartley 90;
Stroll 46;
Grosjean 54;
Sainz 19;
Ericsson 60;
Mazepin 22;
Sirotkin 16

Laptimes:

1) Ricciardo, Red Bull, 84 laps, Medium tyres - 1:20.179
2) Bottas, Mercedes, 58 laps, Medium tyres - 1:20.349
3) Raikkonen, Ferrari, 77 laps, Soft tyres - 1:20.506
4) Hulkenberg, Renault, Medium tyres - 73 laps, 1:20.547
5) Alonso, McLaren, 31 laps, Supersoft tyres - 1.21.339
6) Hamilton, Mercedes, 25 laps, Medium tyres - 1:22.327
7) Hartley, Toro Rosso, 90 laps, Soft tyres - 1:22.371
8) Stroll, Williams, 46 laps, Soft tyres 1:22.452
9) Grosjean, Haas, 52 laps, Soft tyres - 1:22.578
10) Sainz, Renault, 19 laps, 1:22.621
11) Ericsson, Sauber, 60 laps, 1.23.408
12) Mazepin, Force India, 22 laps, 1:25.628
13) Sirotkin, Williams, No time set

karmaboy
February 26th, 2018, 10:39am
Ugh...Renault/MB and RB on mediums and still fast.
Alo on supersofts a second off. I hope they have some chassis magic still to come.

dwarrick
February 26th, 2018, 12:37pm
Times mean nothing in testing. I’d look more at laps

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 12:41pm
Yeah, still very early, Hamilton behind Alonso.

But good news that the turned-down Renault engines are posting good times already.

karmaboy
February 26th, 2018, 12:56pm
Yeah...but still.
You would think the Alo would be testing the limits...just to see what the car can do.

Obviously Hamilton has nothing to prove.

FWIW- I know testing is testing...but they only have a month to figure out if they have the cooling and aero sorted out. These engines need to go 7 races now, so its time to figure out if they have optimized everything they can.

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 01:02pm
Agree, will have a better idea by end of the week.

Mileage is the biggest factor here and even Merc hasnt done lots of miles today.

Think Alonso got 42 laps in, while RB and TR around 90 or so.

Renault announced last week that they were deliberately turning down engines until #2 is out at end of spring. So Renault pace is good considering...

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 03:10pm
Interesting...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-believes-six-teams-in-big-trouble-1009267/
Fernando Alonso reckons at least six Formula 1 teams had "big trouble" on day one of 2018 pre-season testing, and declared his McLaren-Renault combination has "huge potential".

Alonso was sidelined after just six laps of running in the morning when a wheelnut problem led to his McLaren's (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) right-rear wheel detaching itself, sending him into the gravel.
The incident seemed ironic given McLaren's (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) expectation of a much smoother testing period following its swap to customer Renaults after three frustrating seasons with Honda - which enjoyed a trouble-free Monday with new partner Toro Rosso.
But Alonso said that while McLaren's (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) incident was very public, other teams had much worse days.
"This is a very, very small problem but very graphic, very obvious," he said. "A car in the gravel makes a big thing.
"There are six teams in the garage with the door closed and the car in pieces, but no one sees it, there's no picture of that.
"There are a lot of teams with trouble, big trouble, and for us with a wheelnut it will make the thing of the day."
He insisted McLaren (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) "didn't even plan to run much in the morning" and was very satisfied with his eventual tally of 51 laps.
"I'm the one that did most laps in the afternoon," Alonso added. "Others had a little bit too many issues. It's a very good start."
He underlined that he was much happier with McLaren's (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) engine situation now he was working with Renault.

"Everything is running very smoothly and quite good," Alonso said.
"There are a few things that we are trying to change and trying to adapt, like every new car, but so far on the engine side especially I'm extremely happy and I think there is huge potential in the McLaren-Renault team.
"On the performance side it's very early days to say but everything seems to be in line with our expectations from the windtunnel and from the data that we had before coming to the test.
"I have no reason to think we won't be competitive. We know how good the chassis performed last year.
"We have an engine that's not an experiment or still new. It's an evolution of last year's engine that won races."

He added that McLaren's (https://motorsport.com/team/mclaren) morning problem had already showed the value of being able to share engine development with Renault's works team and Red Bull (https://motorsport.com/team/red-bull-racing) after three years as sole Honda runner.
"We had an issue in the car and we lost two hours but you know that there are other guys with your engine running so any information about driveability issues, deployment issues, they will face the same and maybe find a solution," Alonso said. "When you come back to the car, you know the solution already thanks to them, so it's a very good position to be in and it's quite helpful."

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 06:28pm
Final tally, good day for Ricciardo!

Sucky day for Force India and Williams might want to rethink Sirotkin over Kubica.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180226/c13629515aa9e6d0af4fbeafed17a9ea.jpg

dwarrick
February 26th, 2018, 08:34pm
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgutjkwMK0s3u6-nQBbu9LA

Mario
February 26th, 2018, 09:31pm
Thanks for all that sharing Slick.

Testing never reveals who will be the quickest in Australia but is great fun to follow. It’s good news for Alonso. He seams genuinly happy. Everybody wants Alonso to win.

Slick
February 26th, 2018, 10:04pm
Yeah, there's 3 more days this week and 4 next week, so still very early on.

Interesting to see the progress today vs last year with McLaren. 52 laps today, and almost all this afternoon after the issue with the wheel this am is pretty good. They did only a dismal 8 laps on Day 1 and just over 400 in all of testing last year.

Actually happy to see Honda getting the laps in with Toro Rosso. I'm sure they were keen in not reproducing 2017 issues.

Slick
February 27th, 2018, 12:09pm
Bit cold today in Spain....

faster
February 27th, 2018, 12:19pm
LOL!

Pete
February 27th, 2018, 12:27pm
Montreal Grand Prix January 2019? :lol:

Slick
February 27th, 2018, 12:38pm
It's actually warmer here than it is in Barcelona right now.

Test Day 2 results:

Kubica faster than the race driver Sirotkin, and was actually colder during his stint.

Williams, Force India, Sauber and Haas seem to be the bottom four right now. Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull at the top, then McLaren, Toro Rosso, Renault are performing solidly too, not necessarily in that order.

Vandoorne did a bunch of laps before lunch and never ran this afternoon. Decent time but was on Hyper Softs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180227/49540901f621a6b1ea811a793cd16e76.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180227/f20ab9fda1f2c4e61114091bc1a6008f.jpg

faster
February 27th, 2018, 12:47pm
I heard that the sound of the cars is much different, anyone have any video links?

dwarrick
February 27th, 2018, 12:49pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

Pete
February 27th, 2018, 12:50pm
Vandoorne lulz. :D

And Vettel showing why he's boss.

Nice.

faster
February 27th, 2018, 01:29pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

Yes! Cannot WAIT for this! Edit: Canada isn't listed as one of the first to get the product. Crap.

faster
February 27th, 2018, 01:34pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/video--magnussen-and-verstappen-among-those-to-go-off-on-day-2.html

Sounds better to me!

Slick
February 27th, 2018, 02:24pm
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/video--magnussen-and-verstappen-among-those-to-go-off-on-day-2.html

Sounds better to me!What an idiot Leclerc was to dump all that gravel on track.

Erwan
February 27th, 2018, 02:29pm
What an idiot Leclerc was to dump all that gravel on track.

Or for the Max spin the marshal in the background that rushes over to wave the green flag lol ooooooops

faster
February 27th, 2018, 02:32pm
Yeah, I thought that was funny too!

Mario
February 27th, 2018, 03:45pm
All gravel pits should be banned and paved. It's a lot more safe. In one case you fly over it, hit the armco or get stuck, with asphalt, you decelerate and go back on track

dwarrick
February 27th, 2018, 03:59pm
I’m more for gravel. Pavement let’s them drive off track with no penalty.

Maybe have a lazy rivers going alone the track limits

dbg
February 27th, 2018, 04:14pm
So much excitement over a lapping day...

1Morelap
February 27th, 2018, 04:24pm
https://www.e-patchesandcrests.com/catalogue/patches/community_service/E359_sand_bagging.jpg

Slick
February 28th, 2018, 08:43am
Bit cold in Barca today!

Pirelli full wets today!

Pete
February 28th, 2018, 08:45am
So... they gonna take a set of pinks and put grooves in them and pretends it's a winter tire? :pound:

daft_mx5
February 28th, 2018, 08:49am
So....Kubica still the fastest of the three Williams drivers?

Slick
February 28th, 2018, 08:51am
Good thing the fins are scheduled to drive today.

Iceman ftw.

Slick
February 28th, 2018, 08:52am
So....Kubica still the fastest of the three Williams drivers?

Yep, faster than both "race drivers" by a whole second.

Pete
February 28th, 2018, 08:55am
Good for Kubica :)

tellum
February 28th, 2018, 09:12am
I think we'll see him racing this year... probably not the whole season.

Slick
February 28th, 2018, 09:12am
Lap tally just after lunch, lol.

Alonso tweets out "Car is performing well in the snow so far. P1 in the morning session ���� "

Pete
February 28th, 2018, 09:17am
:lol:

Love Alonso.

Slick
February 28th, 2018, 02:28pm
Top of the charts Lol.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/0d26119eb17f4616eabc7f2078115815.jpg

tellum
February 28th, 2018, 02:39pm
1 minute off-pace in the snow. Notbad.

Slick
March 1st, 2018, 09:05am
Day 4 over halfway done and some good track running now despite a slow start.
Temps now up to 14C so all teams now running on slicks from the morning start on Inters.

Vandoorne already over 100 laps and best time of the day so far with a 1:19.8 on HyperSofts
Vettel has slowly crept his way up to 2nd with 1:20.7 on Softs
Magnussen getting some decent times finally for the Haas, 1:21.1 on Softs
Hamilton in 4th with a 1:21.2 on Mediums, impressive!
Red Bull wavering down in 10th with a 1:23 on Mediums, probably doing long runs, but only 31 laps so far today, some issues in the morning.
Gasly in the Toro Rosso doing better than the mothership in 6th and 70 laps.
Williams and Sauber near the bottom once again. Leclerc at least matching laps from Ericcson.

Pete
March 1st, 2018, 09:20am
Love that orange... it's gonna wreck havoc on cameras and badly configured TV screens during the races :D

Pete
March 1st, 2018, 09:43am
Front spoiler replacement.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180301/ae5bae382856b56ecd958a5dd6c59a98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Slick
March 1st, 2018, 01:13pm
Week 1 testing complete

If Mercedes was sandbagging earlier in the week, they didn't hold back today.
Hamilton with fastest lap with a 1:19.333 on Mediums! For perspective, his pole lap last year in Spain was a 1:19:149 on presumably much softer tires.

Serious mileage today from McLaren!

McLaren 161 laps (110/61)
Toro Rosso 147 (all from Gasly)
Sauber 138 (79/59)
Mercedes 129 (69/60)
Ferrari 120 (all Vettel)
Renault 109 (60/49)
Williams 101 (54/47)
Haas 96 (Magnussen)
Force India 65 (Perez)
Red Bull (35)

Next week should have much warmer and realistic weather.

tellum
March 1st, 2018, 01:46pm
Holy shit, great time for Mediums!

petawawarace
March 1st, 2018, 04:38pm
I believe that Lewis set that time on his last lap of a pretty long stint too. It's definitely looking like a Merc show again this year. That sucks and hopefully I'm wrong.

figo
March 1st, 2018, 06:10pm
Cold tires no grip, Alo must of had fun lol

Lewis is fast, give him a decent car and he will perform.

Countdown until Albert Park :)

faster
March 7th, 2018, 03:43pm
Reading Marc "Elvis" Priestley's book now. Most interesting story so far is how McLaren fitted the fuel filler with a stethoscope to hear the butterfly value begin to close and start pulling the fuel nozzle out before the indicator light turned green to shave milliseconds off box time. They hid the stethoscope so the FIA wouldn't see it and ban. And wow, these guys partied!

Slick
March 8th, 2018, 08:16am
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11277091/f1-testing-day-three-sebastian-vettel-and-ferrari-set-testings-fastest-time-in-morning-session

Fastest times now in low 1:17's!

McLaren had a tough last few days, doing better now and back up the timesheets.

Slick
March 8th, 2018, 09:27am
I think the Ferrari has not been showing their proper pace until now. Crazy!

McLaren into the 18's!

Kubica is faster than either of his teammates, 3/4 second faster than Stroll and 2 secs up on Sirotkin.

Renault is doing well with pace!

Magnussen with a low 1:18 on SuperSofts! (Vettel in the Ferrari on HyperSofts)
Me thinking the Ferrari engine is delivering the goods this season.

Pete
March 8th, 2018, 09:35am
Ferrari over a second ahead...

They cant be all sandbagging. Or Ferrari is sending a message.

And good for Kubica.

Slick
March 8th, 2018, 09:40am
Ferrari over a second ahead...

They cant be all sandbagging. Or Ferrari is sending a message.

Not to mention it is a new F1 track record, smashed it a few times this morning. Previous best was Ricciardo last week with a low 1:18 that broke a ten-year F1 laptime record at the track.

petawawarace
March 8th, 2018, 09:48am
Its F1 testing guys. Lap times don't really mean much. Some guys are running with Kiel probes, testing long runs etc. Melbourne Q1 we'll see whats really happening

Slick
March 8th, 2018, 10:11am
Its F1 testing guys. Lap times don't really mean much. Some guys are running with Kiel probes, testing long runs etc. Melbourne Q1 we'll see whats really happening
Sure it does, but it doesn't mean the pecking order will be the same as testing times, I don't assume that at all.

So far the fastest lap is 1.5 secs faster than last year, but we also have one grade softer of tire.

It's just data. As long as you know what to read into it, you can decipher some things but no guarantee the season will go the same way.

McLaren yesterday was bottom of the timesheets and today they are 5th fastest. Their best lap of 1:18.8, is 2.5 secs faster than last year. Great!
Ferrari did a scorching lap this morning and now doing long runs with full fuel loads in the 1:20's over 3 secs a lap slower.

All teams are pretty much more reliable, and faster than last year, and the field looks like it could be tighter. Midfield fights will probably be great this year because of it.

What we do know is how reliable the cars are. McLaren so far are way at the bottom for total laps done. But the issues they've had don't seem to be common and have been easily resolved (unlike last year), so they could still have a very good season.

Pete
March 8th, 2018, 10:15am
All teams are pretty much more reliable, and faster than last year, and the field looks like it could be tighter. Midfield fights will probably be great this year because of it.

This.

Kinda sad there is not much action in the front anymore given one team always seems to get away with the pole and then it's a matter of finishing the race.

But mid field battles where great at the end of the season last year. More of those please!!!

karmaboy
March 8th, 2018, 03:54pm
Teams get 3 engines for the season. Whoever can pull it off is going to be in pretty good shape at the end of the year.
Engine penalties are going to be a big part in determining the outcome for 2018.

So...airflow, cooling and going fast with a detuned engine has got to be figured out in testing.

1Morelap
March 8th, 2018, 04:07pm
what is the penalty for extra engine ?

karmaboy
March 8th, 2018, 04:49pm
Meanwhile, each driver is permitted to use only a limited number of power unit elements – of which there are six types – during a single season. The limits are three ICE (internal combustion engine), MGU-H (motor generator unit-heat) and TC (turbocharger), and two ES (energy store), CE (control electronics) and MGU-K (motor generator unit-kinetic). Should a driver use more than this, a grid penalty will be imposed.
The first time a driver uses an additional element over and above the prescribed limits, a ten-place grid penalty will be given. If he then uses other additional elements a five-place penalty (or penalties) is imposed. Use yet a further example of any given element and another ten-place penalty is received – and so on.

1Morelap
March 8th, 2018, 04:50pm
turn up the boost, it's worth it.

Mario
March 8th, 2018, 06:22pm

Slick
March 8th, 2018, 06:26pm
50320It's been that type of week for McLaren. Hopefully a strong day to finish tomorrow with ALO back in the car.

dwarrick
March 8th, 2018, 08:35pm
I hear some teams are going to take a 4th so they can continue development through the year.

Slick
March 9th, 2018, 08:37am
Come in to the shop, checks status of testing on last morning....

Goddammit McLaren, I'm really trying to root for you..

1Morelap
March 9th, 2018, 09:29am
maybe it wasn't the engine.

Slick
March 9th, 2018, 10:31am
Maybe Honda slipped Renault some $$ and said make sure they get the duds?

Overheating, oil leaks and today was the turbo needed replacing.

Mario
March 9th, 2018, 10:34am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPHJny4_6xI

wing
March 9th, 2018, 10:36am
Whoa boys that's bad lol

Pete
March 9th, 2018, 10:37am
Wow... That's worst than a team FlipFlop pit stop :lol:

Slick
March 9th, 2018, 10:38am
https://youtu.be/UqP8N3Aoot8

This is Alonso dreaming about winning LeMans with Toyota

Mario
March 9th, 2018, 01:29pm
Maybe they are training a new backup crew?!?! Looks like they’ve NEVER done this before and only saw videos about it

Slick
March 9th, 2018, 03:05pm
And that's it!

ALO just beat his teammate's best testing time by a whole sec! Have been impressed with Vandoorne, but that lap was great! Good recovery to finish on a high note and decent lap tally.

Mario
March 9th, 2018, 04:24pm
Good stuff! He wanted to shut us up.

Slick
March 9th, 2018, 04:26pm
Overall top testing times (tire compounds not listed)

And now we wait 2 weeks until Australia for the real pace.

Pete
March 9th, 2018, 04:35pm
Not surprised...

I still see that as a message from Ferrari, and it's loud and clear.

Gonna be interesting in Australia for sure!

karmaboy
March 9th, 2018, 04:56pm
Man...I hate the Australia race. Its really just another test session on a shitty track.
If I wasn't so horny to see some race cars going wheel to wheel in HD...I wouldn't watch that shitshow.
They should start in Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Slick
March 10th, 2018, 09:14am
'Top designer Adrian Newey immediately steps back to Red Bull'

Adrian Newey takes a step back at Red Bull Racing. The top designer is considered one of the greatest designers of all time in Formula 1, but now makes room for Pierre Waché as technical director, reports L'Equipe.

Waché comes from the team of Newey and the Frenchman himself was brought forward by Newey. ,, I know what this position means and I know the risk. I will not say that I am afraid of it, but I know what is expected of me. I will show that I can do it ", says Waché in L'Equipe.

Waché says that he will sail a different course at Red Bull than the Brit. "Newey puts more emphasis on aerodynamics and I want to see more how I can push the car to the ground", he explains.

In recent years Newey was mainly busy with the design of the Aston Martin Valkyrie, but was rushed to Red Bull last season, to improve the RB13 after it turned out that the car of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo had a huge disadvantage on Mercedes and Ferrari. The updates during the season were made thanks to Newey.

Newey has won no fewer than ten constructors' titles, more than any other designer. In addition, he is the only designer who won the title with three different teams.

In the past two weeks, Verstappen and Ricciardo tested the new car, the RB14, in Barcelona. That was in contrast to last season, without any major problems. In two weeks the Formula 1 season will start with the first Grand Prix. The start will be in Australia on 25 March.

Translated from:
https://www.ad.nl/formule-1/topontwerper-adrian-newey-doet-per-direct-stap-terug-bij-red-bull~ad7ae967/

Slick
March 10th, 2018, 01:03pm
Compilation video of F1 testing in Barcelona. Don't think the engines have sounded this good since the whole hybrid-V6 era started.

https://youtu.be/fBRaFQoJwaM

Slick
March 10th, 2018, 08:53pm
I know, it's testing. But interesting data nonetheless.

All teams improved, some by a little (Williams) and some by alot (McLaren) over last year.

Sad to see an iconic team like Williams not doing as well as they should, not sure if it's down to less experienced drivers or engineering.

Notwithstanding the fact that we have one step softer (faster) tires, Williams haven't really improved.

They even had Paddy Lowe since last year to help them build a better car, so let's hope they rebound (afterall, they are running the best engine out there).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180311/f03a152d64e65e930e314672d59690de.jpg

Pete
March 10th, 2018, 09:09pm
Wow... Is Stroll gonna look like a pylon on the track this year if he's down like that?

Cant wait for the first race!

faster
March 10th, 2018, 09:14pm
After watching Williams on Netflix, I'm not surprised. Williams doesn't have the funding.

97gst
March 10th, 2018, 10:14pm
Wow... Is Stroll gonna look like a pylon on the track this year if he's down like that?

Don't worry, daddy will buy him a seat at Merc the minute Hamilton calls it quits. Bank on it.

faster
March 10th, 2018, 10:19pm
Hamilton calls it quits? Why would he do that?

97gst
March 10th, 2018, 10:34pm
He's been talking about it for the last few seasons... don't think he's enjoying it anymore.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/877610/Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Brazilian-Grand-Prix-Mercedes-Formula-One-Globo-Esporte

Slick
March 10th, 2018, 10:38pm
Yeah, but only if he doesn't have a dominant car.
He's still got lots of good years to go.

Jon.0
March 11th, 2018, 07:45am
Don't worry, daddy will buy him a seat at Merc the minute Hamilton calls it quits. Bank on it.I certainly wouldn't bet against you. Prominent Tommy Hilfiger branding on the side of the Merc this year. Looks like daddy has already put a foot in the door.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Mario
March 11th, 2018, 10:50am
Bottas won’t be with Mercedes next year if he doesn’t start fighting and drives like last year.

Slick
March 11th, 2018, 10:56am
Bottas won’t be with Mercedes next year if he doesn’t start fighting and drives like last year.I agree. He has to drive like he wants #1 status and not settle as being Hamilton's teammate.

Slick
March 15th, 2018, 02:43pm
More accurate.

Mario
March 15th, 2018, 03:34pm
I just question the design choice of going with pink for the stupidlysoft and not green

wing
March 15th, 2018, 03:35pm
Rains are green

Slick
March 15th, 2018, 07:02pm
And they now have 2 blue tires.

Blue - full wet
Green - intermediate

The other blue is the Hard tire "Ice Blue". I guess good for a certain Finn.

Mario
March 15th, 2018, 07:09pm
When you run out of rainbow colours, maybe you got too many tires

Mario
March 16th, 2018, 07:32am
Liberty Media are doing a great job implementing their new brand online, especially with a bunch of great videos https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1000935046730144/

I12XLR8
March 16th, 2018, 02:24pm
Liberty Media are doing a great job implementing their new brand online, especially with a bunch of great videos https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1000935046730144/

Wow. Goosebumps

Mario
March 19th, 2018, 06:36pm

Mario
March 20th, 2018, 05:29pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTETwgQnbsQ&feature=share
new F1 theme song

Pete
March 20th, 2018, 06:21pm
Game of Thrones, The F1 series?

figo
March 21st, 2018, 09:31pm
Fuck yeah

Albert park is this weekend

It just hit me

wing
March 21st, 2018, 10:25pm
Just did a bunch of laps on Albert Park, not the best track in the world, but fun in an F1 car. Not fun in sedan, too many tight turns.

petawawarace
March 22nd, 2018, 08:26am
Just did a bunch of laps on Albert Park, not the best track in the world, but fun in an F1 car. Not fun in sedan, too many tight turns.

did you take your helicopter all the way down there?

wing
March 22nd, 2018, 09:37am
Yeah rented F1 car and V8 Super car too! Erwan joined me.

Erwan
March 22nd, 2018, 03:06pm
Yeah rented F1 car and V8 Super car too! Erwan joined me.

lol we did - V8 super cars are neat - maybe we'll fly them and ourselves to a different track next time...

Mario
March 22nd, 2018, 05:17pm

very difficult track in F1 2017. Always going from 8 to 3rd very quickly. Need extreme braking precision to hit the apex perfectly and most turns are 90 degrees. Not my favorite at all but very good braking practice.

Mario
March 22nd, 2018, 10:14pm
https://youtu.be/T2Kgd4Z3Z5I

2018 official intro

Pete
March 23rd, 2018, 05:38pm
Good bye shoulder view during races... teams are not going to re engineer camera mounting points right before the season. Someone dropped the ball apparently.

karmaboy
March 23rd, 2018, 05:57pm
Wifey isn't going to be happy with me getting up at 1 am to watch qualifiying.

Slick
March 23rd, 2018, 05:58pm
Good bye shoulder view during races... teams are not going to re engineer camera mounting points right before the season. Someone dropped the ball apparently.

50554That's a big ball to drop. Already people are complaining about the Halo, this won't help either.

Other issue no one has thought of is how to identify drivers since helmets are less visible.

Colour coded halos or some markings on them to identify the drivers would be good, like ALMS and Rolex with different coloured side mirrors and/or rollhoops.

wing
March 23rd, 2018, 06:03pm
The hoop up top is usually coloured for 2nd driver

Pete
March 23rd, 2018, 06:08pm
Top T-cam is not so bad... But definitely not pleasant to look at.

Pete
March 23rd, 2018, 06:09pm
And view from Alonzo in P2 last night...

karmaboy
March 23rd, 2018, 06:11pm
Damn...I can't wait to get back in racecar.

tellum
March 24th, 2018, 11:00am
Dat last Q3 lap. Wow.

faster
March 24th, 2018, 11:23am
Last 8 minutes of Q3 cut off by the DVR. Damn.

figo
March 24th, 2018, 11:33am
I stayed up for qualifying, I should of went to bed.

tellum
March 24th, 2018, 11:51am
Always set an extra hour for f1

Erwan
March 24th, 2018, 12:03pm
First race of the season and Merc is already 0.7 up in quali... :(

The rest looks exciting though, looking forward to the mid pack racing

Mario
March 24th, 2018, 02:41pm
Tomorrow’s lineup

Pete
March 24th, 2018, 03:01pm
Sandals rofl!!!!

dwarrick
March 24th, 2018, 03:26pm
Mclaren and someone else has sandal sponsorship this year because of the halo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/974620540622262272

figo
March 24th, 2018, 05:33pm
this is one of many reasons I love kimi

https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/1006425606181088/

Mario
March 25th, 2018, 03:00pm
"Kimi, do you think the Halo helped today?"Kimi: "Yeah it helped because it kept the sun out of my eyes"

Slick
March 26th, 2018, 09:51am
That was a good race. Very close up front and some great mid-pack battles too.

I think both Kimi and Ham got screwed out of 1st on the VSC delta, not that hard to figure out how it happened.
Vettel needs to drive to a delta time. Knows he will be slower to the starting line with pit entry so he speeds up beforehand, crosses the S/F line at or over delta. Pits, and back on track ahead of HAM.
Sounds just like something Schumi and Brawn would have done.

Haas are fast! Too bad on the double DNF.

Glad Mclaren are doing better but realistically they would have been 8 and 9th. Good progress though. Hondas are still at back of the pack, McLaren can now justify the right decision made.

dwarrick
March 26th, 2018, 10:45am
Mid pack should be exciting. All the cars seem to be close in times. Really crappy for Haas, such potential

karmaboy
March 26th, 2018, 12:15pm
Haas admitted that they barely practiced pit stops. Same mistake twice is pretty bad (by different crews!!).

Remains to be seen what Bottas could have /would have done to the pointy end of the grid to support Hamilton's effort.

daft_mx5
March 26th, 2018, 12:49pm
Was at least a good sign that Alo was actually able to stay in front of the chasing pack.
Last year that would not have happened even at a track like Melbourne.

faster
March 26th, 2018, 02:43pm
How about Sainz drinking too much at the start of the race to the point of almost vomiting?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/3/sainz--australia-point-was-hard-to-stomach.html

Slick
March 26th, 2018, 04:46pm
Remains to be seen what Bottas could have /would have done to the pointy end of the grid to support Hamilton's effort.

Yeah not too impressive at all. Hamilton would have been up to 5th even from back row, not sure if Bottas is gritty enough to battle.
Maybe erring on the safe side so he doesn't wreck another car, but struggling to keep up with a Renault doesn't look too good on him.
Vandoorne was right on his gearbox at the checkers.

karmaboy
March 26th, 2018, 05:14pm
Yeah...its pretty evident that the Merc is a handful in the draft (even worse than last year). I think Hamilton manages it ok, Bottas less so.
I think the game plan is for Hamilton to go balls out to get track position at the start...then manage strategy (which they did pretty well, but who can predict what Vettel pulled off in the pits?)
Going forward...he's going to try a stay out front and use Bottas to split/block the Ferraris.

Kinda boring...but races are going to be decided in Q3 and whoever leads at T1.

I expect things to get a little pushy at race start for the rest of the season..

Mario
March 26th, 2018, 06:58pm
Kimi’s a Little pissed because he wasn’t made aware of the strategy that put Vettel in front of him.

faster
March 29th, 2018, 01:45pm
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/haas-f1-team-rivals-concerned-haas-alliance-ferrari-too-close?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

"So, is the Haas F1 Team using a carbon copy of the 2017 Ferrari this season?"

And interesting that two wheel nut errors from the Haas team lead to Hamilton losing the lead to Vettel.

Slick
April 5th, 2018, 10:30am
Kimi being Kimi in the press conference today:

Q: “Kimi you have 8 podiums here, but qualifying not so good only one P3. Is that the biggest difference at any track and if so why?”
Kimi: “I don’t look too closely what has happened in the past. Obviously you start where you qualify.”

Q: "Kimi will Mercedes have as big an advantage this weekend as in Australia where they had seven tenths in qualifying?"
Kimi: "Who knows, you can keep guessing. I have zero interest to start guessing."

Q: “Kimi have you given any feedback to Liberty about the future direction of F1?”
Kimi: “No it is their business. I know very little about it and I am not interested. It is in many years’ time and I doubt I’ll be here anyway.”

Q: “If you had the power what would be the Formula 1 today? What would you change?”
Kimi: “I don’t have the power so what is the point to even waste to think about it. I don’t understand, what is the point? I have zero power.”

Pete
April 5th, 2018, 10:31am
You start where you qualify :lol:

Love the Kimi interviews... :pound:

faster
April 5th, 2018, 10:46am
The world needs more Kimi. Too much "what if" talking.

tellum
April 5th, 2018, 10:47am
He'd make a good Viking.

Robin2
April 5th, 2018, 12:35pm
kimi is awesome!

karmaboy
April 5th, 2018, 01:29pm
I remember them bugging him about the dangers of a wet track..."Its the same for everyone, let's race"

Pete
April 6th, 2018, 01:33pm
The F1 Grid Girls Saga continues.

Monaco says "fuck it, there will be pretty ladies on the grid"
Russia just said the same thing for the Sotchi GP in September claiming Russian grid girls are the best.

I love where this is going :D

raggedrabbit
April 6th, 2018, 01:37pm
Russian grid girls

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Russian+grid+girls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuwfDdl6baAhWcn4MKHaDpBJ4Q_AUICigB&biw=1485&bih=927#imgrc=vpOUDI0sWwP9sM:

petawawarace
April 6th, 2018, 02:07pm
Oh I hope this backfired and there ends up being way more gridgirls.

tellum
April 6th, 2018, 02:52pm
Respect KMag

karmaboy
April 8th, 2018, 08:26am
So....Gasly.
And Honda.
P5.

tellum
April 8th, 2018, 08:50am
Ridiculous. Alonso must be WTFing.

petawawarace
April 8th, 2018, 11:36am
Great start to the race. Would have liked to see max tear through the field.

Pete
April 8th, 2018, 11:37am
Ya, definitely a great race start spectator wise. The sparks coming up to corner one, amazeballs.

Sucks for Redbull...

Robin2
April 8th, 2018, 12:06pm
Good race so far. That’s a bad few minutes for red bull.

stroll is dead last. Is Williams car that bad?

Pete
April 8th, 2018, 12:08pm
Tire strategies are all over the place, gonna be interesting till the end.

Not sure whats up with Williams... Not looking good tho.

Slick
April 8th, 2018, 12:09pm
Good race so far. That’s a bad few minutes for red bull.

stroll is dead last. Is Williams car that bad?Yes and no. Stroll just did a 1:35.2, so can't be that bad. Midfield doing 36's. Diva car?

Robin2
April 8th, 2018, 12:09pm
Stroll is slow and getting beat by his new teamate

Robin2
April 8th, 2018, 12:10pm
Did he? He’s so far back and no traffic.

Robin2
April 8th, 2018, 12:15pm
Wtf! Ferrari mechanic is hurt for sure.

petawawarace
April 8th, 2018, 12:21pm
One of the Ferrari mechanics made a snapping motion to the pit wall. Broken leg likely.
I think Merc may steal this thing. Unless Vettel makes it on one stop

Pete
April 8th, 2018, 12:48pm
Awesome race... wow.

97gst
April 8th, 2018, 02:25pm
Wtf! Ferrari mechanic is hurt for sure.
Warning. Nasty leg break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKUsulsO_JQ

daft_mx5
April 8th, 2018, 02:40pm
Yeah got nauseous seeing that.

Great race. Gasly wow.
Also drove fantastic as well.

Can’t believe Vettel held it together. Impressive.

Alo now P4 in points. Lol.

karmaboy
April 8th, 2018, 03:35pm
Awesome race.
Vettel saying he nursed those tires for the last 10 laps.
Also seems to indicate that the Merc is not happy in the draft.

snail
April 8th, 2018, 08:08pm
Missed it. Where can I find stream.

wing
April 8th, 2018, 08:31pm
Honda in 4th nice race

Slick
April 8th, 2018, 09:45pm
Wow, McLaren ahead of Red Bull and ALO 4th!

Better bring the updates quick!

Think Mercedes is on the back foot already, they need to recover at the next race.

Either way it is shaping up to be a good championship, not a runaway from one team.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180409/cbf22677bdb25048d2ca62f35217b6b9.jpg

97gst
April 8th, 2018, 09:56pm
Just watching the replay... what's with the sparks that spit up on braking?

They look like holiday sparklers.

1Morelap
April 8th, 2018, 10:06pm
williams for sale yet ?

wing
April 8th, 2018, 10:11pm
It's carbon blocks under the car rubbing the ground

petawawarace
April 9th, 2018, 12:19am
It's carbon blocks under the car rubbing the ground

Titanium blocks actually.

Pete
April 9th, 2018, 06:45am
And its awesome to watch at night like that.

Angry Chicken
April 9th, 2018, 06:52am
Too early to say, but Mercedes looks fragile this year. The Ferrari looked so planted and it’s balance was a large factor in Vettel being able to manage his worn tires for the final 10 laps. That, and his ability to manage the deployment of his battery to counter Bottas’ DRS-aided charge.

And that Torro Rosso! The commentators spent so much time talking about Hamilton and they almost totally neglected Gasly’s drive. His placing was based on merit.

daft_mx5
April 9th, 2018, 06:54am
williams for sale yet ?

Kubica and Diresta could have squeezed more out of the turd of a car. Or at least helped develop it with seasoned feedback. Ugh.