PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mount an iPhone...

I12XLR8
April 29th, 2015, 05:23pm
What is the best way to mount an iPhone for recording video/lap timer app stuff? Everything I can find on eBay looks flimsy and shaky. I've got my phone in an OtterBox and would like to leave it there if possible.

I have a first gen Hero that I'll use for the removable memory card but want to do overlays so I can be all cool like. I don't mind gluing, cutting, drilling, whatever it takes to get it in the right place.

What are most people using?

mightymousetech
April 29th, 2015, 06:01pm
Zip tie to roll cage?

sb_915
April 29th, 2015, 06:29pm
What is the best way to mount an iPhone for recording video/lap timer app stuff? Everything I can find on eBay looks flimsy and shaky. I've got my phone in an OtterBox and would like to leave it there if possible.

I have a first gen Hero that I'll use for the removable memory card but want to do overlays so I can be all cool like. I don't mind gluing, cutting, drilling, whatever it takes to get it in the right place.

What are most people using?
Most people are using a go pro ;)

Mario
April 29th, 2015, 06:34pm
For it not to shake, I have no idea. The thing will overheat like crazy after a couple of minutes too. Have you ever tried filming for 5 minutes none stop. The thing gets toaster hot. I don't thing it's made for that. You're going to wreck it IMO

dbg
April 29th, 2015, 08:14pm
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166U $35

This mount is rock-solid. Just suction it onto your windshield.

You have to add the holder for your model of phone - they cost 8 or 9 dollars.

Have one in my Corvette if you want to look at it.

I12XLR8
April 29th, 2015, 08:24pm
Do you have the melt down issues that Mario warns about?

TRS1
April 29th, 2015, 08:38pm
I use the Ram suction mount with my 4th gen touch, never had over heating issues running Harry's lap timer with video record. It shakes a little but not bad.

I12XLR8
April 29th, 2015, 08:38pm
I see your mount here...but i was hoping to record video with it as well and it looks like the camera is blocked by the mount

http://youtu.be/9PstlvpqWhI

I12XLR8
April 29th, 2015, 08:39pm
I use the Ram suction mount with my 4th gen touch, never had over heating issues running Harry's lap timer with video record. It shakes a little but not bad.

Suction on a dash plate or on the glass?

Mario
April 29th, 2015, 09:03pm
Do you have the melt down issues that Mario warns about?
Basically a iPhone is a computer without a fan. Try filming for 5 minutes now and be the judge if you think it's fine or not. It will not melt, I exaggerated with the toaster example, but is it overheating bad enough? Imagine 35 minutes or so

i have a suction cup and it's solid. It still shakes though.

I12XLR8
April 29th, 2015, 09:34pm
12 minutes of nothing...not one bit hotter than when I started. Seriously. Maybe new phones are better at this video thing?

https://vimeo.com/126447452

Adam
April 29th, 2015, 09:37pm
I bought a regular mount from the source and it held up when I went lapping

Mario
April 29th, 2015, 09:37pm
Good. My iPhone 4s would get so hot. I'll glad you tried it man. These things are expensive.

dbg
April 29th, 2015, 09:59pm
I see your mount here...but i was hoping to record video with it as well and it looks like the camera is blocked by the mount

It's highly adjustable with ball joints at either end. Turn a knob to lock both down. You can position the camera so it has a clear view.

I use mine as a lap timer, but there's no reason you couldn't shoot video. You will need a power cable to run it - running continuously gobbles power.

GoP-Demon
April 30th, 2015, 09:18am
If you want cockpit view you could mount it to the rear glass.

I12XLR8
April 30th, 2015, 10:39pm
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166U $35

This mount is rock-solid. Just suction it onto your windshield.

You have to add the holder for your model of phone - they cost 8 or 9 dollars.

Have one in my Corvette if you want to look at it.

Ordered! I went with a flat mount which I will screw into the dash. If that doesn't give me the view I want I'll screw it somewhere else.

Thanks!