PDA

View Full Version : Went 'lapping' at Calabogie on Sunday...

CDN 2.5T
April 20th, 2015, 10:50pm
Not motorized, but felt appropriate for this sub-forum ;-)

Annual Calabogie Classic road race, O-Cup #2, yesterday at the track. Mostly Southern Ontario racers on the various category podiums, aside from the Women's categories (local squad from The Cyclery / Opus swept the podium in the Elite women's race) and I made the podium racing in Masters M2, needed photo to determine my 2nd place position...

dwarrick
April 20th, 2015, 11:02pm
Good stuff. I got to bike around the F1 track in Montreal. I had a blast even if I was on a bixie

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 12:05am
Way to go. 7:00 minutes lap time is very interesting stats with a 33.3 km/h average speed

CDN 2.5T
April 21st, 2015, 08:38am
hey Mario, thanks. Yah, my Strava includes a bit of before/after pedaling around. Actual race speed was average 41.3 km/h according to racetiming.ca.

EvilDeadFan
April 21st, 2015, 08:50am
Very neat.

I12XLR8
April 21st, 2015, 09:33am
7 minutes sounds stupid fast to me on a bike. Are any of the corners hairy at those speeds?

Jethro
April 21st, 2015, 09:34am
did the event receive a noise complaint this year?

-=M=-
April 21st, 2015, 09:47am
hahaha wtf, seriously did that happen?

wing
April 21st, 2015, 09:48am
Yup

I think the local die hard "hate the track" guy called in last year. All he knew was there was an event going on, so he called in a noise complaint.

-=M=-
April 21st, 2015, 09:49am
in all honesty if i lived there and the track came after me and was forced upon me i would hate it too. But to call when cyclists are on there, hilarious.

robyb
April 21st, 2015, 10:13am
Very cool, congrats on second! May I follow? :) What's your strava user?

Do you ride the crits too?

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 10:17am
The only up hill would be 9A right because you carry a lot of speed going down 15 to go up 16? Between 18 and 20 is a little up hill too. 44 km/h avg. is super fast. Congrats

mightymousetech
April 21st, 2015, 10:22am
in all honesty if i lived there and the track came after me and was forced upon me i would hate it too. But to call when cyclists are on there, hilarious.

Well, at least it proves the guy is an ID-10-T.

1Morelap
April 21st, 2015, 10:27am
rocky road is up hill. 6 to 7 and then the climb from 14 to 15 too.

clean sanchez
April 21st, 2015, 10:37am
actually lots of uphill in the track! congrats on the podium!

wing
April 21st, 2015, 11:40am
2-3 is uphill too. The entire back straight 4-5 is uphill, drop down 5-6 then 7 is uphill, then down to 8, the up to 9, down into 10, then uphill again 12-13-14-15 then downhill and then up again to 20.

Try walking it, legs get sore fast.

mikeman
April 21st, 2015, 05:49pm
Cool, where can I see the results? One of my buddies was talking about this last year..

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 07:08pm
A hill to a biker is 7% or more, Calabogie is a "faux plat"

I have no idea how to translate that

robyb
April 21st, 2015, 07:40pm
A hill to a biker is 7% or more, Calabogie is a "faux plat"

I have no idea how to translate that

Holy crap. I think the steepest section in Gatineau park is like 6.5%, unless I've got all my stats wrong (http://blog-de-phil.blogspot.ca/2008/08/evening-in-gatineau-park.html). No hills in the gats... fuuu!

I'll tell you what, those aren't rolling hills to me... Innes road is rolling hills to me, haha.

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 07:53pm
Most hills in the Gatineau park are about 8%+. The first big one to Pink Lake is above 12% by time. Here's a ride going up to the Chamlain lookout

https://www.strava.com/activities/10841911

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 07:58pm
A "hors catégorie" HC si 8% or more. The other hill are define has such

1Morelap
April 21st, 2015, 08:02pm
bike people are weird.

Mario
April 21st, 2015, 08:06pm

They should make a suffer scale, like on Strava

looking at CDN Strava biking chart, the steepest hill is on rocky road almost 4%. The biggest downhill is at quarry -6%. The rest avg between 0 to +-2%

robyb
April 21st, 2015, 09:06pm
Most hills in the Gatineau park are about 8%+. The first big one to Pink Lake is above 12% by time. Here's a ride going up to the Chamlain lookout

https://www.strava.com/activities/10841911

I had never noticed that strava lists the %. So a few hills are over 8%, neat!

CDN 2.5T
April 22nd, 2015, 12:24am
7 minutes sounds stupid fast to me on a bike. Are any of the corners hairy at those speeds?

Nope. Come out to Preston St on Father's Day to see cornering on a tighter course where the line becomes a bit more important... Corner 4 before the final straight (Heart and Crown) is a good one - there's a manhole cover there which can be a factor.

CDN 2.5T
April 22nd, 2015, 12:40am
Yup

I think the local die hard "hate the track" guy called in last year. All he knew was there was an event going on, so he called in a noise complaint.

The first year they ran the race there was a complaint apparently - basically exactly this - someone heard there were going to be 'bikes' and a complaint was called in. Cops came and everything, only to find they were pedal bikes :-)

CDN 2.5T
April 22nd, 2015, 12:45am
Very cool, congrats on second! May I follow? :) What's your strava user?

Do you ride the crits too?

Yah, normally ride both A&B at the NRC. Not a climber so I stick to the crits. IsThis Carbon Fiber is the Strava name... https://www.strava.com/athletes/392588

Cool, where can I see the results? One of my buddies was talking about this last year..

Mike, results are here: http://www.ontariocycling.org/ocapages/web_pages/results/20150420-142128-E1509results.htm

dbg
April 22nd, 2015, 01:18am
The first year they ran the race there was a complaint apparently - basically exactly this - someone heard there were going to be 'bikes' and a complaint was called in. Cops came and everything, only to find they were pedal bikes :-)

This should disqualify all future complaints of any kind.

figo
April 22nd, 2015, 01:45pm
Charge the complaint guy a fine for wasting police time.

Mechs02
April 22nd, 2015, 04:02pm
What line do you take through temptation?

dbg
April 22nd, 2015, 05:15pm
The noisy one.

1Morelap
April 22nd, 2015, 05:34pm
https://youtu.be/MmSCSTGWhS0?t=1h24m4s

Jethro
April 22nd, 2015, 06:08pm
The noisy one.

Lol. Stop slamming on the gas mid corner.

Pete
April 22nd, 2015, 07:03pm

What's with all that noise... Damn it, so loud, I sure can feel that guys pain when he made a noise complaint about it...

:pound:

1Morelap
April 22nd, 2015, 07:16pm
loud grunting

CDN 2.5T
April 22nd, 2015, 08:10pm

Ah, I hadn't thought to check for vids of this year's racing yet - thanks Greg - found the finish of my race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXQKDWq2jT4

I was gapped for sure by the first place guy, who was almost DQ'ed for some questionable tactics at the start of the final lap...

Mario
April 22nd, 2015, 08:38pm
:like: very impressive

1Morelap
April 22nd, 2015, 08:40pm
you guys get paid out? what did you do with the coinage?

CDN 2.5T
April 23rd, 2015, 01:03am
Cash is not very common but this race does pay out. Barely covered gas at $30 for 2nd. Entry was $65. Better money in the Elite 1/2 race, higher caliber racing, more competitive ;-)

clean sanchez
April 23rd, 2015, 08:15am
more competitive? lol the 50th place guy in that finish was 5 seconds back max after 90min ride?

Mario
April 23rd, 2015, 09:01am
more competitive? lol the 50th place guy in that finish was 5 seconds back max after 90min ride?

Yeah, after 70 km at an avg of 44 km/h!!! The Tour de France Pros run at an average a little over 50 km/h, just to put the talent these local guys in perspective for everyone

robyb
April 23rd, 2015, 04:01pm
Yeah, after 70 km at an avg of 44 km/h!!! The Tour de France Pros run at an average a little over 50 km/h, just to put the talent these local guys in perspective for everyone

Not to take away from the caliber of these racers, but due to not huge hills, guys in the pack could be running half the watts as the guys upfront the whole way and still be 5s behind at the line... Just sayin', drafting is HUGE. This may not have actually been the case tho.

Mario
April 23rd, 2015, 09:10pm
Not to take away from the caliber of these racers, but due to not huge hills, guys in the pack could be running half the watts as the guys upfront the whole way and still be 5s behind at the line... Just sayin', drafting is HUGE. This may not have actually been the case tho.
Well, just for fun, Tour de France time trials on special bikes, and ok they are not grouped, so they can't draft, but these best of the best bikers, average 55km/h on a faux plat trial stage, the same type of road as Calabogie.

My my hat off to guys like CDN.

shlammed
May 20th, 2015, 11:25am
This is pretty cool.
And really fast? awesome.

shlammed
May 20th, 2015, 11:25am
This is pretty cool.
And really fast? awesome.

CDN 2.5T
June 16th, 2015, 10:13am
Preston Street Criterium is this Sunday, Father's Day, for anyone interested in watching some fast paced action on a local circuit. Numerous beer gardens with good visibility of the course. I normally course marshall the last corner, turn 4 by the Heart and Crown, for the main event that starts at 2:15. I race earlier in the day at 11.

shlammed
June 16th, 2015, 10:31am
How does someone get involved in this type of racing?

Is there regulations on the gear you use? Uci approved stuff, etc?

CDN 2.5T
June 16th, 2015, 01:46pm
Need to have a UCI license to enter, available from the Ontario Cycling Association - can be done on an Citizen's Permit with day license I believe. There are some basic rules but they don't enforce UCI approvals normally. I run an open mold frame (since 2010) and Rhus carbon wheels as sold by local bike shop Euro-Sports.

Technical guide here:
https://bikeraceottawa.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/2015-preston-st-technical-guide.pdf

wing
June 16th, 2015, 01:47pm
Too many rules I'm out

sb_915
June 16th, 2015, 03:22pm
not enough motors, I'm out.

mikeman
June 16th, 2015, 03:28pm
you have to have a license to ride a bicycle?

figo
June 16th, 2015, 03:58pm
How hard could the exam be?

Fuck the rules, pass.

I kid

Maybe

shlammed
June 16th, 2015, 04:28pm
Need to have a UCI license to enter, available from the Ontario Cycling Association - can be done on an Citizen's Permit with day license I believe. There are some basic rules but they don't enforce UCI approvals normally. I run an open mold frame (since 2010) and Rhus carbon wheels as sold by local bike shop Euro-Sports.

Technical guide here:
https://bikeraceottawa.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/2015-preston-st-technical-guide.pdf

What should someone expect in getting into their first race?

I might be able to come and check it out as a spectator, but likely if I was driving it would be neat to try it out.
That seems like a really tight course, I assume its pretty tricky to move around.

1Morelap
June 16th, 2015, 06:38pm
this must be how people feel when I tell them they don't have enough experience to drive a car on track.

CDN 2.5T
June 16th, 2015, 10:55pm
you have to have a license to ride a bicycle?

Only to race sanctioned events... lots of newer 'gran fondo' type events that attract all kinds of riders, many that are very fit and can ride fast but lack the skills to ride in a group and as a result can be a danger to themselves and others.

Same rationale as Greg has to apply >>>
this must be how people feel when I tell them they don't have enough experience to drive a car on track.

What should someone expect in getting into their first race?

I might be able to come and check it out as a spectator, but likely if I was driving it would be neat to try it out.
That seems like a really tight course, I assume its pretty tricky to move around.

First race? Simple answer? probably get 'dropped' - regardless of how fit you may be, I wouldn't recommend a crit, not without practicing first. In Ottawa, we have a weekly event on Tues nights, that alternates every other week between A and B-level racing, which I would suggest anyone try as a warmup before entering a real criterium. There are some basic dos and don'ts that you learn pretty quick - how to corner in a group is especially important. Most first time racers get "yo-yo'd" at the back where they brake too much and then have to accelerate to catch back on. That can only be done for a finite number of efforts before you burn all your matches...

I had the support of my team last year and was well positioned on the last lap only to have my back wheel damaged when another racer fell and put his handlebar into it, breaking spokes and effectively activating the rear brake as the wheel was no longer true - I walked to the finish as a result :dizzy:

Some video of the race last year - this is M2/M3, which is the 2nd and 3rd tier of age 30+ riders. The M1 guys race with the Pro 1/2 - a huge step up - I don't have the time to train enough for that with a young one at home so while I could have upgraded to M1 this year based on points earned, I stayed M2 as a sensible choice ;-)

Vid is ~10 mins. You can fast forward to 9:35 to see the guy crash and damage my back wheel, hard to see, but he put his bars in my rear wheel and I came out of the group with the brake rubbing. At 10:00, in the final straight, there's another crash when a rider didn't hold his line and took out one of my buddies. The guy who crashed into me was hospitalized with a broken humerus and some additional complications. The second crash was a clean break in the forearm I believe.

https://youtu.be/C1AbphBaafY

1Morelap
June 16th, 2015, 11:25pm
its nascar.

how did the dude fall down in a straight line at the end ?

wing
June 16th, 2015, 11:32pm
Car racing sounds safer.

CDN 2.5T
June 16th, 2015, 11:38pm
its nascar.

how did the dude fall down in a straight line at the end ?

Somebody took out his front wheel - need to hold a (straight) line in the sprint. Can't just go deciding to cut across the road as there could be someone coming through behind you.

1Morelap
June 16th, 2015, 11:43pm
does tire choice make a difference ?

CDN 2.5T
June 17th, 2015, 12:33am
does tire choice make a difference ?

Not when somebody sideswipes your front wheel...

But yes, tires make a pretty big difference. Contact patch is maybe about the size of a dime, so you want to make sure it's effective. Air pressure, tire width, tread pattern, casing construction (material and threads per inch) are all variables that come into play. For racing, I use a handmade 320 TPI tubular tire with a fine herringbone tread that is glued onto a lightweight carbon fiber rim. Training tires are Michelin Service Course ProRace 4 slicks that we get for a good price at the shop. They're not long wearing but I prefer to have sticky rubber. I ran a soft compound slick tubular tire front and rear a couple years ago and had grief in the rain and ended up with a DNF. Those tires are going on my track bike race wheels now - they will never see water in the velodrome.

1Morelap
June 17th, 2015, 07:40am
other than the pedal part, you talk like a pro at CMP. The similarities are neat.

Mario
June 17th, 2015, 09:01am
Really cool video. This is intense

shlammed
June 18th, 2015, 11:54am
Only to race sanctioned events... lots of newer 'gran fondo' type events that attract all kinds of riders, many that are very fit and can ride fast but lack the skills to ride in a group and as a result can be a danger to themselves and others.

Same rationale as Greg has to apply >>>

First race? Simple answer? probably get 'dropped' - regardless of how fit you may be, I wouldn't recommend a crit, not without practicing first. In Ottawa, we have a weekly event on Tues nights, that alternates every other week between A and B-level racing, which I would suggest anyone try as a warmup before entering a real criterium. There are some basic dos and don'ts that you learn pretty quick - how to corner in a group is especially important. Most first time racers get "yo-yo'd" at the back where they brake too much and then have to accelerate to catch back on. That can only be done for a finite number of efforts before you burn all your matches...

that video is awesome. I would love to get into something like that. I would need to get better at leaning into left corners for that layout, Im not as good turning left as I am right... probably because its easier to do in day-to-day riding at intersections.

So that is a higher class of racing, are there more incidents with the lower levels due to inexperience?

Going into a race I wouldn't have any expectations for being able to place well, finishing would be great.
I will try to find a group in Kingston that does this type of thing and get some support in training and technique.

Training tires are Michelin Service Course ProRace 4 slicks that we get for a good price at the shop.

How much life are you getting out of these? I put some pro4 service course on this spring after killing the old shitty tires I was using last year on the trainer.

shlammed
June 18th, 2015, 11:56am
For racing, I use a handmade 320 TPI tubular tire with a fine herringbone tread that is glued onto a lightweight carbon fiber rim.

FMB's?

CDN 2.5T
June 19th, 2015, 08:40am
So that is a higher class of racing, are there more incidents with the lower levels due to inexperience?

Going into a race I wouldn't have any expectations for being able to place well, finishing would be great.
I will try to find a group in Kingston that does this type of thing and get some support in training and technique.

How much life are you getting out of these? I put some pro4 service course on this spring after killing the old shitty tires I was using last year on the trainer.

Mixed abilities definitely contributes to increased frequency of incidents, without a doubt. Sometimes it's inattention, sometimes fatigue, sometimes just stupidity :-)

I know a couple people that race out of the Kingston area, can ask for some suggestions for you perhaps.

The tires - usually a full season if rotated F/R. I ride several bikes but probably about 5k kms I'd say? I've been very happy with them for sure. Used to run the ProRace 3s for a couple years, now have both 23 and 25mm ProRace 4s.

CDN 2.5T
June 19th, 2015, 08:44am
FMB's?

Currently using Challenge Criterium, some older 22mm ones... http://www.challengetech.it/products/road/criterium-001/10326/en

I run Dugast and Challenge tubulars for cyclocross. The Dugast are equivalent to the FMB.

shlammed
June 22nd, 2015, 12:16pm
Currently using Challenge Criterium, some older 22mm ones... http://www.challengetech.it/products/road/criterium-001/10326/en

I run Dugast and Challenge tubulars for cyclocross. The Dugast are equivalent to the FMB.

How did the race go?

CDN 2.5T
June 22nd, 2015, 09:42pm
How did the race go?

Not quite as planned, but still made the podium. All local boys on the podium - one other strong team but we had basically equivalent strengths, just didn't execute in the final laps as intended. I'm awaiting my budddy's video, still uploading, will post when available.

My strava - https://www.strava.com/activities/330363741

Rainey94
June 22nd, 2015, 10:51pm
Wow way to go! I gone a few years with my dad to watch the crash fest at one of the corners, it is just nuts. Congrats!

Mario
June 23rd, 2015, 12:18am
Congrats man! Your nuts

1Morelap
June 23rd, 2015, 12:21am
nice!

CDN 2.5T
June 23rd, 2015, 12:45am
Yeah, thanks guys. 3rd place was a little frustrating, disappointing actually. I truly had it in me to be on the top step this year, but waited a little too long at the end. No one to blame except myself really. Lesson(s) learned.

Video should be done processing soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bMVxqT1Ask

shlammed
June 23rd, 2015, 01:59pm
3rd place out of that group is really good. Near the end you were really really pulling on the dudes infront of you.

Good job, even though its not the outcome you wanted it looks like a riot.

CDN 2.5T
June 24th, 2015, 01:04am
Yeah, it's hard to see much of the race up front from buddy's camera. The Tekne team guys did a good job of string out the group and the guy who won attacked by corner 2, accelerated down the hill and had 4-5 bike lengths going into turn 3. I should have been on his wheel :-)

robyb
June 24th, 2015, 11:33am
Congratulations on the podium! :) Got to work today and I think I need new tires... 31534

I've always run the Specialized Turbo but now trying the Michelin Pro4, they are currently on sale on PBK, 50% off.

shlammed
June 24th, 2015, 11:39am
I like my pro4 service course, they seem pretty good in the corners and surprisingly good in the wet/dirt/light gravel (25c).

They are REALLY big though, nearly touching my frame with about 2mm to spare on the Giant.

Running mine at 75/85psi with me at 185lbs these days, nice and comfy without any flats and ive been riding a lot of the light gravel rail beds with some sections of "A minus gravel" which can get a bit hairy.

robyb
June 24th, 2015, 11:45am
I always run my tires at 120! I find it muchy when it gets down to 100 after a few days of not pumping them. I also weigh in at 215 right now... that said few years back I was down to ~185 and still running 120 :P Didn't mean to steal the thread, but this tire was recommended above IIRC, so I was posting about the online deal :) I've always run 23's so I'm sticking to it.

shlammed
June 24th, 2015, 12:08pm
embrace the mush. save the tush.
I can corner just as hard at 80psi as I would at 100+.

with 23's I would run 10psi more than these 25's.

Last year I ran my tires at whatever my compressor maxed out at .... 120psi or so. it was rough. uncomfortably rough... and I was no faster at 120psi than 80. but way less vibration into my hands and butt at the lower pressures.

CDN 2.5T
June 24th, 2015, 12:19pm
I've always run the Specialized Turbo but now trying the Michelin Pro4, they are currently on sale on PBK, 50% off.

If you haven't ordered yet, give Euro-Sports a call (613 422 5616) to see if he has any in stock, his pricing will be close to PBK's sale price.

robyb
June 24th, 2015, 03:07pm
Thanks I'll heck to check them out next time, I've already ordered :( Didn't know about them!

shlammed
June 24th, 2015, 04:59pm
dudes, this thread is motivating.

CDN/Robyb,
I know its early to think of it, but what do you do in off-season to keep from loosing it all? Rob, I believe you mentioned Zwift before.

Im really interested in racing... though when im out for a ride and the mid 40's dude blows by me, I feel like ive got some work to do.

Im heading to the local race shop tomorrow if I get a chance on my lunch to pick his brain a bit. they have Thursday night roll outs from their shop so I might try to make that.

robyb
June 24th, 2015, 05:12pm
Yeah I started Zwift just as the good weather rolled around so only used it a few times. A bit of fat biking but realistically I just gain weight over winter being lazy :( Hoping Zwift will change that :) But I'm nowhere near CDN's caliber.

CDN 2.5T
June 25th, 2015, 11:23pm
dudes, this thread is motivating.

CDN/Robyb,
I know its early to think of it, but what do you do in off-season to keep from loosing it all? Rob, I believe you mentioned Zwift before.

Im really interested in racing... though when im out for a ride and the mid 40's dude blows by me, I feel like ive got some work to do.

Im heading to the local race shop tomorrow if I get a chance on my lunch to pick his brain a bit. they have Thursday night roll outs from their shop so I might try to make that.

hey, I'm mid-40s :shocked:

Fatbiking in the winter has been good for us - we live a few kms from SMH so can ride to the trailhead. With the traffic the trails get now, it doesn't take long after a snowfall for the groove to get established and the trails can be pretty fast - most of the fastest Strava times in there now are from winter rides.

Definitely try to hook up with the shop rides - one of the better ways to learn.

shlammed
June 26th, 2015, 07:56am
hey, I'm mid-40s :shocked:.
I saw the picture you posted and made a funny.

In all honesty though, you would fly by me.

And in the last few weeks is happened with other dudes so I assume are in your age bracket. I'm 27... So mid 40s is just under my parents age.

Going for a mtb demo tonight. Should be fun if nothing else.
No way in he'll will I buy a bike though. They are all $5k squish bikes

wing
June 27th, 2015, 01:32pm
Don't you just use a trainer in the winter? Hook up the wii to it

Mario
June 27th, 2015, 04:50pm
Just to put things in perspective for others, what's your average speeds the first couple of laps, mid race and the last couple of laps. My guess is 45km/h, 42 and 55

CDN 2.5T
June 27th, 2015, 06:16pm
Our race average speed was 43.3 km/h. Elites were 45.8.

We hovered between 42-44 mainly. At 5 laps to go, it dropped to 40 on that lap, but picked up again quickly with final lap avg speed 49.9. My top speed was high 50s iirc (don't think I hit 60).

CDN 2.5T
June 27th, 2015, 07:36pm
Checked my strava again - actually max speed was 72 on one of the early laps, likely after the crash, moving back up to catch the front guys.

CDN 2.5T
June 27th, 2015, 07:38pm
Don't you just use a trainer in the winter? Hook up the wii to it

I ride rollers indoors - have three sets in order to facilitate group rides ;-)

It's hard (=boring) riding indoors so I much prefer to ride outside, either on the road or fatbike. If dressed appropriately, can handle some pretty low temps. If I'm planning to ride the rollers, I usually hook up a movie to watch and help keep things interesting.

robyb
June 27th, 2015, 08:03pm
max speed was 72

And this is where I'd get dropped and never catch up. Holy sh*t! I can only muster up mid 50's on flat land if I"m drafting a bus :(

shlammed
June 27th, 2015, 10:08pm
Anyone off Monday and want to go for a ride?

I'm coming into Kanata tomorrow for a buddies diaper party baby thing, so I will be brining the bike.

Matt

robyb
June 27th, 2015, 10:10pm
Damn, I start a brand new job Monday, no can do.

shlammed
June 28th, 2015, 04:41pm
Its OK. Me neither.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/41a73a9ba90de154a1f2a55c0e5194eb.jpg

shlammed
June 28th, 2015, 04:52pm
When I took my rear wheel off the derailleur hanger fell apart. I'll be spending tomorrow trying to find a new one I guess

CDN 2.5T
June 28th, 2015, 05:14pm
Buy two while you're at it. Always good to have a spare.

shlammed
June 29th, 2015, 12:50pm
I just picked one up at fresh air experience on Wellington. they only had fuck off weird colors so I will order another one in black later.

CDN 2.5T
June 29th, 2015, 01:44pm
Derailleur hanger color? Nobody sees it... Someone might say the same about the tandem frame color, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am kidding of course.

If you're ordering one, get a Wheels Mfg or North Shore Billet piece - they're higher quality CNC'd pieces that are overall stiffer and will yield better shifting.

shlammed
June 29th, 2015, 02:12pm
Yeah the one I picked up today is visibly less quality than what came on the bike.

Color really doesn't matter but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb and went crazy anodized blue. The only other option was red

shlammed
June 29th, 2015, 03:13pm
Doesn't actually look that bad on the bike...that said, the offset isn't totally right.

The derailleur adjustment into the small cog on the cassette is totally maxed out... I wonder if there are 1mm spacers for the derailleur mounting bolt. That would probably give a bit more adjustment.

CDN 2.5T
June 29th, 2015, 03:26pm
That's odd - something may be bent? Shouldn't have changed anything if it was the right hanger.

It's hard or usually impossible to fit a hanger that isn't the correct one for a given frame.

It is the H screw you need to be adjusting - some people get it mixed up, it's High/tall gear vs Low gear (ratio vs position on cluster).

shlammed
June 29th, 2015, 03:29pm
This bolted right up. No issues. It's the right one.

My contact at my bike shop said it could be a little bent. I will ride it over and check it with a derailleur hanger alignment tool.

The rest of the gears shift well, but not lightning fast like it was before. So it could be a little out of line.

CDN 2.5T
July 14th, 2015, 12:18am
Raced in Montreal last Friday... going again in a couple weeks. 8 more races in a 10 race series they're holding there a la Red Hook Criterium... Was a steep learning curve for me, was honestly a bit freaked during warmup, but I had fun. My legs are super sore from all the 'brakeless' braking...

Short course, ran a low gear (48x18), 10 corners? https://www.strava.com/activities/343451123

31873 31875

Rainey94
July 14th, 2015, 12:23am
You have put more kms on this year then I have on the r6.... As per usual I'm very impressed. I've gotta get my lazy ass out more.

CDN 2.5T
July 14th, 2015, 12:27am
You have put more kms on this year then I have on the r6.... As per usual I'm very impressed. I've gotta get my lazy ass out more.

I drove to Montreal ;-)

I should mention photos are by Paul Schwartz - www.Paulimage.com

Rainey94
July 14th, 2015, 01:43am
I drove to Montreal ;-)

I should mention photos are by Paul Schwartz - www.Paulimage.com (http://www.Paulimage.com)
Pffft weak! ;) I meant your annual kms on strava vs the r6 annual kms.

shlammed
July 14th, 2015, 08:35am
Fixed gear crit sounds both fun and dangerous as fuck at the same time.

Many incidents, or is it only the front runners who are nutty.

CDN 2.5T
August 3rd, 2015, 10:41pm
I've been twice now, several crashes each time (not me). Mostly the front runners though - the hairpin is the hardest (for me) - went off course there twice in first two laps last time out. Just couldn't bank it over (commit) hard enough to make it through. Have ordered some 165mm cranks to get a bit more cornering clearance. Going again for round 4 this Friday :-)

shlammed
August 4th, 2015, 12:09am
Right on.

Do those track bikes have a low bottom bracket like a road bike? 70mm drop?

I haven't played around with fixed gears, but i hear that it's good training for geared bikes. Teaches a lot about pedal technique and how to make the most of the wrong gear. Who knows, I'm regurgitating info I read.

M

CDN 2.5T
August 4th, 2015, 12:41am
Right on.

Do those track bikes have a low bottom bracket like a road bike? 70mm drop?

I haven't played around with fixed gears, but i hear that it's good training for geared bikes. Teaches a lot about pedal technique and how to make the most of the wrong gear. Who knows, I'm regurgitating info I read.

M

Excellent training... without question. Improved cadence/spin. I can hit 200 rpm currently (downhill).

Track bike vs road fixie for example, has a high BB to facilitate handling on a banked velodrome. My frame is ~53mm drop. My carbon cyclocross bike is 58mm drop, considered high in most cases, or Euro-style. My Ti cyclocross 'B' bike, I had BB dropped to 68mm to make it better all around handling, eg gravel road riding etc.

The track bike works best for these fixed crits as you have considerably more cornering clearance over a hipster road fixie ;-)

shlammed
August 4th, 2015, 12:43am
Woah, yeah 50mm isn't much drop.

Our tandem has 73mm as built drop. With 175 cranks and platform pedals, it's not hard to drag a pedal or two. Lol.