PDA

View Full Version : drones. why are they scary?

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 02:32pm
ugh, Jones brown insurance now bans them. no dice for drone footage at a 1morelap event.

coles: dammit.

Rant : I've read the rules set out by CASC, I've seen the hurdles Ferd had to go through for RSO. My opinion is the decision makers don't know what it is, don't know how it works, made assumptions, think its scary and when that happens, instant ban. Where is the report showing how dangerous these are? We are hurdling cars down a race track between walls. But flying robots are too risky?

Once day they will be common place. Everyone will have one. Old guys like us will look stupid.

We couldn't even use them at the ice race. I was driving over exhaust ( my own actually ), headlights ( not mine ) but a flying robot is banned because ________ What's the worst that happens? it falls on the track? The odds of running over car debris are the same. It's a distraction? you shouldn't be driving fast then.

But if you knew how they work then you'd understand how they 'go home' when battery is low, when errors occur etc etc.

#shakesfistintheair

oh well. gopro on a stick it is.

gchislett
March 12th, 2015, 02:35pm
What about real helicopters? Those are okay still, right?

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:35pm
if you don't do gopro on a stick, what other job can i do at a 1morelap?

raggedrabbit
March 12th, 2015, 02:36pm
That is bazaar.

BAN ALL THE THINGS

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:38pm
they used google...

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2015/03/10/uav-down-drone-loses-power-and-hits-racetrack/

http://blog.motorsportreg.com/regulating-drones-at-racetrack#.VQHdJOGVQg4

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:39pm
Anything this good must be illegal” That statement is largely true for most uses of drones, at least for the next year or two. In a nutshell, the law on civilian drone use in the United States is as follows:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) considers a drone to be an aircraft, whether it weighs 15,000 lbs. or 3 lbs. As odd as this seems, it has been challenged legally and upheld by the NTSB.
Unless a specific exemption applies, to operate in our national airspace (which means outdoors and off the ground) the equipment needs to satisfy FAA airworthiness standards, the operator needs to meet FAA licensing requirements, and the operation must comport to the same airspace rules as a Cessna 172 or Airbus A380. Yes, really.
The FAA is developing rules to govern the airworthiness certification of drones, the licensure of operators (pilots) and proper use in U.S. airspace; but those rules are unlikely to become law until well into 2016.

insaner6
March 12th, 2015, 02:43pm
What about private drone usage that just accidentally kinda sorta happens to record a 1morelap event :P

I don't think calabogie is listed as a no-fly list, not sure on aerial trespassing but if someone unaffiliated with you or the track was using it for fun (ie: not commercial, which does require transport canada approval as well as insurance) and just GAVE you the videos...

jusssayin?

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:45pm
drones weren't allowed at Ted Powell or IMSA last season at CMP.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 02:46pm
The transport canada regs are actually not horrible. depending on weight class, you could do whatever you want.

some of their rules however - no more than 90m up. ok. but no closer than 150m from people and cars. so, no over head shots?

insurance/liability - two scariest words in motorsports and anything fun.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 02:47pm
drones weren't allowed at Ted Powell or IMSA last season at CMP.

ya CASC did an instant ban when they saw a spectator having fun at mosport.

raggedrabbit
March 12th, 2015, 02:47pm
Is a drone a self-controlled aircraft, or does it encompass all R/C flight? That is a big departure from just a few years ago if so. Perhaps the line is now drawn at FPV?

Edit: NVM, the article covers it

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 02:48pm
think of it as a GPS device. it flies on coordinates, not a dude using a stick.

Wookie
March 12th, 2015, 02:49pm
I think it also has to do with the word 'drone'. It's just a scary word due to sensationalization (that a word??) in the media.

Like Greg said, there's far more danger/distractions in just the racing. The drivers just need to be told, if one is in your path, don't try to avoid.

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:51pm
ya CASC did an instant ban when they saw a spectator having fun at mosport.

lol. i've seen that procedure in action a few times.
then when the guy on the radio doing the kill joy came down to watch the racing from the pit wall in shorts and flip flops I wouldn't let him by. "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" Lol, the pain in my fucking ass??

raggedrabbit
March 12th, 2015, 02:53pm
no closer than 150m from people and cars. so, no over head shots?

Off road motor vehicles (on race track) may be a grey area? Like people on an R/C field? To be fair, I wouldn't want to see a drone over the high way.

wing
March 12th, 2015, 02:54pm
What about real helicopters? Those are okay still, right?

Yeah drones are bad, but being inside a world war 2 movie trailer is okay. copters so loud none of the marshals can hear the radios, or know if something bad happened on track.

Don't understand why drones are so bad either.

raggedrabbit
March 12th, 2015, 02:55pm
think of it as a GPS device. it flies on coordinates, not a dude using a stick.

Autonomous vehicles fall outside the hobbyist exception. I.e. all flight rules apply. Get someone on the stick and stay away from commercial use, no prahblem.

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 02:56pm
at a pro 6 day a cessna was flying back and forth above the track.

turns out it was Anthony Fitz. the bike guys came into the pits freaking right the fuck out

"THE PLANE IS IN MY SIGHT LINES I ALMOST DIED".

Jane is on the radio "WHO IS IN THAT PLANE"

fuck, I dunno, let me ask.

Legacy
March 12th, 2015, 03:26pm
It's the RHD of toys..... Quick ban it.

NoLimits Autoparts
March 12th, 2015, 04:06pm
What if we just tie a string to your bumper and use a kite with a gopro?? Lol

frank2003
March 12th, 2015, 04:07pm
Thw word drone is way to vague in regards to multicopter rc's. These things go from self controlled with no GPS to all out autonomous based on gps and can even follow special wifi controllers.

The rules that they will create for these things will be complicated as fuck. Unless they all out ban them.

Check out this one. Pretty sweet
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron

Last time i checked, word drone does not include my rc helicopters. I have a gopro mount in mine

wing
March 12th, 2015, 04:12pm
Copters are good to go.

Bring yours!

Legacy
March 12th, 2015, 06:29pm
TC has made the rules strict enough to the point where its pretty much not worth using, have to apply for certificates etc. There's a realtor guy getting fined $10k becuase he used a drone to fly around a house and film it.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 06:58pm

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 07:00pm
Send jones brown that info graphic?

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 07:00pm
we should have invented these in the 70s.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 07:03pm
Send jones brown that info graphic?

lol, no.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 07:05pm
In Canada, our laws use two terms:

Model aircraft describes those usually used by hobbyists for recreational purposes.

Unmanned air vehicle, or UAV, generally refers to more complex operations used for commercial purposes.

wing
March 12th, 2015, 07:07pm
All those rules.
. Imagine flying cars?

Ha no jetsons in our lifetime

Wookie
March 12th, 2015, 07:57pm
All those rules.
. Imagine flying cars?

Ha no jetsons in our lifetime

People can die from a 6 foot fall.

Imagine flying cars?

Darwin would be on stress leave.

Jethro
March 12th, 2015, 07:59pm
Imagine Asians driving flying corollas.

figo
March 12th, 2015, 08:13pm
Just cover it during the drivers meeting, this flag is used for debris on the track and when pointed to the sky a change in weather condition or falling drones. We can always make a McDonald's flag with a drone on it, caution drone above, this could work.

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 10:21pm
figo has the best ideas.

pyxen
March 12th, 2015, 10:35pm
What if we just tie a string to your bumper and use a kite with a gopro?? Lol

I considered it (briefly) last year...not sure it would work with starting up and slowing down...maybe an automatic retraction/extension at or approaching a ceratin speed...

What strength string would be required for that?? Do they make fishing line that strong?

1Morelap
March 12th, 2015, 10:38pm
we could just get a parachute and do like the boats do. any volunteers? I'd throw in an extra sammich for that.

dbg
March 12th, 2015, 11:18pm
Balloon on a string with gopro.

mikeman
March 12th, 2015, 11:29pm
have your drone show up to the drivers meeting unannounced. as long as it's not crowded.

raggedrabbit
March 13th, 2015, 01:31am
TC has made the rules strict enough to the point where its pretty much not worth using, have to apply for certificates etc. There's a realtor guy getting fined $10k becuase he used a drone to fly around a house and film it.

It's pretty hard to argue that isn't commercial use :/

All the answers are in the above. Don't charge/commercialize the film, and don't make it appear overly promotional (1morelap, keep it at arms reach... that guy is just a spectator). Do not use any sort of autopilot, except as a backup for control failure. If it is RC (not a drone...) and under 5 lbs, not for commercial use, you are covered by hobby exception at TC and not under the 'drone' exception from insurance.

And if it's not controlling itself, don't use the drone moniker! A drone in technical vernacular is a UAV. A quad copter is just a toy.

Jethro
March 13th, 2015, 08:11am
too bad you're not in a decision making capacity at jones brown.

petawawarace
March 13th, 2015, 09:29am
At our race a few weeks ago in Valcourt, a guy had a drone there. I saw it while watching other races, but not while I was on track. Saw the video of my race after, and he was pretty low. If your racing, you should be focusing on the track, not the sky.
This does suck, because they take some awesome video.

inverted
March 13th, 2015, 10:22am
If you tie a long string to a "drone", does it then become a kite?

Edit: maybe so! Fotokite: http://www.wired.com/2014/03/leashed-drones-let-anyone-shoot-photos-air-without-creep-factor/

schmoo
March 13th, 2015, 10:51am
Is it the case that insurers take their cue from CASC?

I the CASC ban on all devices, piloted or automated, regardless of size, and operator? Say for example a commercial operator is contracted to film the event?

What is the CASC concern? Vehicle falling on marshals, open cockpits, distraction?

Don't know all the back story and hoping you guys can fill in her blanks for me.

1Morelap
March 13th, 2015, 11:13am
ask the CASC president.

they had a thread in June, before the latest TC regs, but he also said they would send out an official announcement. It was in the sups of the mosport celebration event.

DVS
March 13th, 2015, 03:30pm
No blimps then either :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r49mwYmcKSI

bunta
March 13th, 2015, 08:32pm
https://youtu.be/dTHWBSluUjU

1Morelap
March 13th, 2015, 09:26pm
new rule, camera cannot be quicker than our cars.

figo
March 13th, 2015, 09:45pm
It would be pretty cool to see that fly 10 feet of the track doing a lap

insaner6
March 13th, 2015, 10:12pm
new rule, camera cannot be quicker than our cars.

are you including miatas in that rule?

1Morelap
July 13th, 2015, 04:30pm
During the merrickville show a drone was flying over the locks with the crowds, cars, boats, probably great shots.
The guys who spend their summers opening and closing the water doors were running around looking for the pilot, ready to call the police. They're illegal to fly over the locks!!
They had the show announce over the PA system this news. poor guy.

I hope one day history will show how stupid we looked with these laws.

raggedrabbit
July 13th, 2015, 04:39pm
It was probably a 'murican scouting our locks.

It's a national security threat, yo.

dbg
July 13th, 2015, 04:52pm
LOL I know this guy:

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/07/12/a-horrified-london-man-watched-as-his-miniature-helicopter-crashed-into-a-police-van-sunday

mikeman
July 13th, 2015, 05:00pm
whats; the dif between a "drone" and an "RC aircraft"...

1Morelap
July 13th, 2015, 05:03pm

fox news.

petawawarace
July 13th, 2015, 05:08pm

"autonomous control" even if the operator is still flying the drone, it "balances itself"

raggedrabbit
July 13th, 2015, 05:44pm
"autonomous control" even if the operator is still flying the drone, it "balances itself"

Really? So only R/C quad copters are considered drones? And anything with automated control to base I suppose.

Edit: I don't doubt you are correct, but that is a pretty arbitrary line in the sand for privacy and security woes. To be fair though, the R/C exception in the aviation regs say to stay away from people and vehicles, so its still a no go. You could argue with insurance at the track over a POV aircraft vs. drone I guess.

petawawarace
July 13th, 2015, 06:20pm
Edit: drones, RC planes, choppers etc are all classified as unmanned aircraft. Legally there is no difference unless it is greater than 35kg, used for something other than recreation, goes above certain heights, proximity to airports, people etc. it's pretty well explained here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm?campaign=2014-uav-socialmedia-facebook&WT.mc_id=hruzf#safety

petawawarace
July 13th, 2015, 06:37pm
Just read that as of November, a special operation permit is no longer required for commercial use if under 25kg. Still need to abide by a bunch of rules tho

Legacy
July 13th, 2015, 06:37pm
Drone safety first ! These are dangerous machines and could kill children , old people and cute little kittens everywhere.

I hope one day history will show how stupid we looked with these laws.

Sadly I think we'll look back at these days and think "ah the days before there was literally a law against everything".

karmaboy
July 16th, 2015, 07:15pm
Imma going to leave this here.

https://youtu.be/xqHrTtvFFIs

Blind
July 16th, 2015, 07:18pm
Imma going to leave this here.

drones. they just got scary

1Morelap
July 16th, 2015, 08:16pm
and boom goes the internet.

raggedrabbit
July 16th, 2015, 09:00pm
0% chance there isn't a product like that available *somewhere*

Casper
July 16th, 2015, 09:50pm
https://instagram.com/p/5ITsTfoDmY/

petawawarace
July 17th, 2015, 11:26am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Blind
July 17th, 2015, 03:54pm
I'm not gonna lie. the USA just got a little scarier.

wait till the 1st psycho offs a whole bunch of people with a setup likes this. a person could literally hide in a fuckin tree (or anywhere really) while pulverizing huge crowds. there's going to massive casualties in the next mass shooting.

think of the kid that was sniping off people from the trunk of his car, took a long time to catch him, and he did one by one for the most part.

raggedrabbit
July 17th, 2015, 04:04pm

wait till the 1st psycho offs a whole bunch of people with a setup likes this. a person could literally hide in a fuckin tree (or anywhere really) while pulverizing huge crowds. there's going to massive casualties in the next mass shooting.

think of the kid that was sniping off people from the trunk of his car, took a long time to catch him, and he did one by one for the most part.

Drone bombing.

Hello NSA.

Blind
July 22nd, 2015, 01:11pm
http://m.ottawasun.com/2015/07/21/teenagers-video-of-gun-firing-drone-prompts-investigations-by-aviation-officials-police

awndray
July 22nd, 2015, 01:15pm
Ugh...fucking media. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done. RC planes and helicopters have been around for nearly a hundred years - no jokes.

Legacy
July 22nd, 2015, 01:15pm
Because there aren't 500000000 other videos on YouTube detailing illegal acts. Flavour of the month club.

insaner6
July 22nd, 2015, 01:16pm
Ugh...fucking media. This isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done. RC planes and helicopters have been around for nearly a hundred years - no jokes.

There was a big hobby shop in the states I used to see tv ads for all the time, a big part of it was RC AH64s and misc fighter planes that shot rockets and dropped actual explosives. Not only is it not NEW, it used to be a marketing gimmick!

awndray
July 22nd, 2015, 01:21pm
BAN ALL THE THINGS

GIF-PWR
July 22nd, 2015, 01:29pm

you do realize that drones are used every day to drop bombs on people, right? it's not any scarier that they have machine guns on them.

Blind
July 22nd, 2015, 01:31pm
ah yes, the issues north Americans have with bomb dropping drones. tell me more.

oh, wait.

awndray
July 22nd, 2015, 01:33pm
https://youtu.be/xEm7bI_meQY
http://www.fastcompany.com/3048827/fast-feed/first-legal-drone-delivery-takes-flight-beats-out-amazon

dbg
July 25th, 2015, 12:07pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32IPBmcwplQ

Mario
July 25th, 2015, 01:13pm
Pretty ingenious. 8 little robots that can remove your car from practically anywhere a tow truck can't get at it

http://youtu.be/QXSJ7dprzf4

Legacy
July 25th, 2015, 09:53pm
Pretty ingenious. 8 little robots that can STEAL your car from practically anywhere

michal
July 26th, 2015, 12:37pm
Pretty ingenious. 8 little robots that can remove your car from practically anywhere a tow truck can't get at it

Sure, on a VW Polo. These can be tipped by two adults.

I'd like to see them try that with some more 'north american'. Like a Yukon Denali. Good luck.

awndray
July 31st, 2015, 12:13pm
A Hillview man has been arrested after he shot down a drone flying over his property -- but he's not making any apologies for it.

It happened Sunday night at a home on Earlywood Way, just south of the intersection between Smith Lane and Mud Lane in Bullitt County, according to an arrest report.

Hillview Police say they were called to the home of 47-year-old William H. Merideth after someone complained about a firearm.

When they arrived, police say Merideth told them he had shot down a drone that was flying over his house. The drone was hit in mid-air and crashed in a field near Merideth's home.

Police say the owner of the drone claimed he was flying it to get pictures of a friend's house -- and that the cost of the drone was over $1,800.

Merideth was arrested and charged with first degree criminal mischief and first degree wanton endangerment. He was booked into the Bullitt County Detention Center, and released on Monday.

WDRB News spoke with Merideth Tuesday afternoon, and he gave his side of the story.

"Sunday afternoon, the kids – my girls – were out on the back deck, and the neighbors were out in their yard," Merideth said. "And they come in and said, 'Dad, there’s a drone out here, flying over everybody’s yard.'"

Merideth's neighbors saw it too.

"It was just hovering above our house and it stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off," said neighbor Kim VanMeter.

VanMeter has a 16-year-old daughter who lays out at their pool. She says a drone hovering with a camera is creepy and weird.

"I just think you should have privacy in your own backyard," she said.

Merideth agrees and said he had to go see for himself.

“Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor’s house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they’ve got under their back yard," Merideth said. "I went and got my shotgun and I said, ‘I’m not going to do anything unless it’s directly over my property.’"

That moment soon arrived, he said.

"Within a minute or so, here it came," he said. "It was hovering over top of my property, and I shot it out of the sky."

"I didn't shoot across the road, I didn't shoot across my neighbor's fences, I shot directly into the air," he added.

It wasn't long before the drone's owners appeared.

"Four guys came over to confront me about it, and I happened to be armed, so that changed their minds," Merideth said.

"They asked me, 'Are you the S-O-B that shot my drone?' and I said, 'Yes I am,'" he said. "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

A short time later, Merideth said the police arrived.

"There were some words exchanged there about my weapon, and I was open carry – it was completely legal," he said. "Long story short, after that, they took me to jail for wanton endangerment first degree and criminal mischief...because I fired the shotgun into the air."

Merideth said he was disappointed with the police response.

"They didn’t confiscate the drone. They gave the drone back to the individuals," he said. "They didn’t take the SIM card out of it…but we’ve got…five houses here that everyone saw it – they saw what happened, including the neighbors that were sitting in their patio when he flew down low enough to see under the patio."

Hillview Police detective Charles McWhirter says you can't fire your gun in the city.

"Well, we do have a city ordinance against discharging firearms in the city, but the officer made an arrest for a Kentucky Revised Statute violation," he said.

According to the Academy of Model Aeronautics safety code, unmanned aircraft like drones may not be flown in a careless or reckless manner and has to be launched at least 100 feet downwind of spectators.

The FAA says drones cannot fly over buildings -- and that shooting them poses a significant safety hazard.

"An unmanned aircraft hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air," said FAA spokesman Les Dorr.

Merideth said he's offering no apologies for what he did.

"He didn’t just fly over," he said. "If he had been moving and just kept moving, that would have been one thing -- but when he come directly over our heads, and just hovered there, I felt like I had the right."

"You know, when you’re in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy," he said. "We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don’t know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."

For now, Merideth says he's planning on pursuing legal action against the owners of the drone.

"We’re not going to let it go," he said. "I believe there are rules that need to be put into place and the situation needs to be addressed because everyone I’ve spoke to, including police, have said they would have done the same thing."

"Because our rights are being trampled daily," he said. "Not on a local level only - but on a state and federal level. We need to have some laws in place to handle these kind of things."
http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/hillview-man-arrested-for-shooting-down-drone-cites-right-to-privacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz5QrVmWU-I

Legacy
July 31st, 2015, 12:37pm
This incident explained : AMERICUH!

Don't like something..... Then it's your God given right to shoot it.

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 12:45pm
Yeah. this guy is fuckin stupid - there's a reason why there's laws about discharging a weapon within city limits. he put more people in danger with that 1 shot that those guys did with the drone.

but.

I get his point of view. I obviously don't have guns to shoot stuff down but if I was in that sitch, I would follow the drone to the landing spot and wait for the owner so i can ask to see the pictures he took while over my property while my daughter was out by the pool in her bathing suite.

mightymousetech
July 31st, 2015, 12:46pm
My rights!

My rights!

My rights are being violated!

1Morelap
July 31st, 2015, 12:48pm
gone are the days when you could just ask your neighbor to stop doing __________ . Now we just shoot them.

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 12:56pm
gone are the days when you could just ask your neighbor to stop doing __________ . Now we just shoot them.
it's America. most gun owners down there has the mentality of "how can my gun solve this?"

I'm not saying this wouldn't happen in Canada, I mean, our very own MR'er wanted to control stray dogs by shooting them dead and all....but I doubt it his would be a common occurrence here in Canada. I would hope we can still have a conversation about it. I don't blame the father for being protective over his kids though

awndray
July 31st, 2015, 01:03pm
he put more people in danger with that 1 shot that those guys did with the drone.

I wouldn't go that far, but he definitely didn't handle it right. He could have just used a starchy vegetable through some polyvinyl chloride tubing.

Wookie
July 31st, 2015, 01:03pm
While I don't agree with him shooting the drone, I do agree with his point of view.

It's as close to trespassing as you can get without physically being there.

If a neighbor puts up a camera and is taking pics of people sunbathing next door, you can be sure they'd be dealt with by police. Why is this ok? Cause its on a drone and not on a pole?

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 01:08pm
I wouldn't go that far, but he definitely didn't handle it right. He could have just used a starchy vegetable through some polyvinyl chloride tubing.
well agree to disagree. one guy was operating a drone, the other was discharging a fuckin shotgun in suburbia. he did this all wrong.

and I'm sure they have some law preventing him from shooting it down with a potatoe gun also.

tellum
July 31st, 2015, 01:23pm
A Hillview man has been arrested after he shot down a drone flying over his property -- but he's not making any apologies for it.

It happened Sunday night at a home on Earlywood Way, just south of the intersection between Smith Lane and Mud Lane in Bullitt County, according to an arrest report.

I see no issues.

-=M=-
July 31st, 2015, 01:28pm
Drone hovering over my house while my daughter is in her bathing suit, yup its getting shot down.

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 01:35pm
I wouldn't shoot it down. I'd go talk to the operator and ask to see the pics he took while on my property and ask they be deleted.

the operator is usually close by.

-=M=-
July 31st, 2015, 01:55pm
what if the operator tells you to go fuck yourself?

Jethro
July 31st, 2015, 02:08pm
DOJO HIS FUCKING ASS OUT

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 02:17pm
what if the operator tells you to go fuck yourself?
i will take my own cell out, take a pic of his face, & license plate if possible, I call the police and report some creepy perv taking pictures of my under age daughter.

Jethro
July 31st, 2015, 02:17pm
and then dojo his ass?

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 02:18pm
DOJO HIS FUCKING ASS OUT
Lol. rep

iandachef
July 31st, 2015, 02:18pm
Is that a silencer on his shot gun? Aren't those illegal?

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 02:19pm
and then dojo his ass?
still no.

Jethro
July 31st, 2015, 02:22pm
still no.

i respect that.

edit: but you'd think about it.

Blind
July 31st, 2015, 02:32pm
if I saw some drone sitting in my backyard with my daughter directly in its cameras sights, it would take everything in me to not walk out with a wok in one hand and Mac running ahead of me to give me the advantage to pounding his ass face into the ground.

:)

awndray
July 31st, 2015, 02:36pm
Is that a silencer on his shot gun? Aren't those illegal?

That's what people call them, but the real name is suppressor. In the US, they're legal in almost every state. They are highly regulated and taxed. They are legal in other countries. In fact, their use is encouraged.

In Canada, they're they are considered prohibited devices. It's illegal for civilians, but law enforcement, military and super duper special people can get them provided they have the magic piece of paper that suddenly makes the suppressor safe for use. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42597962/LegalizeSuppressors.pdf

iandachef
July 31st, 2015, 02:42pm
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/31/d625fa6bb585736bf57139d1d679c066.jpg

1Morelap
July 31st, 2015, 04:32pm
sweet silencer.

awndray
August 5th, 2015, 12:20pm
drone dropped a parcel of tobacco, marijuana and heroin into an Ohio prison yard, which caused a mass brawl among prisoners.

The officers at Mansfield Correctional Institution broke the fight up using pepper spray, before strip-searching all of the 200 men present at the time of the package being dropped.

The delivery included two and a half ounces of marijuana, as well as over 100 bags of heroin.
http://entertainment.ie/life/Mass-prison-yard-brawl-erupted-after-a-drone-operated-drug-delivery/368600.htm

iandachef
August 5th, 2015, 12:59pm
http://entertainment.ie/life/Mass-prison-yard-brawl-erupted-after-a-drone-operated-drug-delivery/368600.htm
Lol expensive troll

karmaboy
September 2nd, 2015, 06:13am
https://youtu.be/t5JgnMJzCtQ

insaner6
September 2nd, 2015, 08:09am
surprised it took this long for someone to try this...

mphysk
September 2nd, 2015, 11:17pm
Forget dirt bikes, why aren't we all building helicopters?

iandachef
September 2nd, 2015, 11:46pm
Because we like pussy not dick?

tellum
December 1st, 2015, 11:37am
http://mashable.com/2015/11/30/child-loses-eye-drone/

An 18-month-old child named Oscar Webb in Worcestershire lost one of his eyes when an amateur drone operator, Simon Evans, lost control of his remote-controlled drone.

mikeman
December 1st, 2015, 11:41am
:1up:
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2015/02/02/almost-2500-killed-covert-us-drone-strikes-obama-inauguration/

At least 2,464 people have now been killed by US drone strikes outside the country’s declared war zones since President Barack Obama’s inauguration six years ago, the Bureau’s latest monthly report reveals.

1Morelap
December 1st, 2015, 11:46am
lost one of his eyes when an amateur dr

it was fun n games.

Blind
December 1st, 2015, 11:46am
jesus

Wookie
December 1st, 2015, 11:50am
:1up:
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2015/02/02/almost-2500-killed-covert-us-drone-strikes-obama-inauguration/

At least 2,464 people have now been killed by US drone strikes outside the country’s declared war zones since President Barack Obama’s inauguration six years ago, the Bureau’s latest monthly report reveals.

Fuckin war mongering republica.....

oh wait

mikeman
December 1st, 2015, 11:51am
Fuckin war mongering republica.....

oh wait

I honestly don't know what's worse, playing army general or playing 007 covert drone captain.

petawawarace
February 24th, 2016, 05:46pm
Just bought one of these at work. It'll be interesting learning how to use it.

http://www.dji.com/mobile/product/phantom-3-pro?gclid=Cj0KEQiAxrW2BRCFidKbqKyq1YEBEiQAnMDWxoOX B08ZXIONp9Exzo2gj1YUXf2vAXhji6z1rEvmO9saAjIG8P8HAQ

awndray
February 21st, 2017, 12:36pm
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/9D52/production/_93647204_img.jpg

Photos taken in Mosul, Iraq, appear to show grenade-dropping drones used against the Iraqi security forces.

The improvised weapons consist of a plastic tube attached to a consumer camera drone to carry explosives.

The images were taken by former US Army special forces officer Mitch Utterback, who was in the country as a journalist.

Mr Utterback said the drones were designed to drop 40mm grenade rounds

"It's not as if it is a large, armed UAV [unmanned aerial vehicle] that is dropping munitions from the wings - but literally, a very small quadcopter that drops a small munition in a somewhat imprecise manner," said Col Brett Sylvia.

"We saw these every day. The Iraqi forces are very concerned with them," he said.

Drones can be difficult to shoot down, but new weapons are being developed to tackle them.

Some aim to disable to devices by blocking the radio signals they require to be controlled.

"Commercial drones tend to operate in the 2.4 gigahertz range, they are relatively easy to jam," said Mr Bronk.

"They are difficult to spot and shoot down, but if you have jamming capabilities you can deny them airspace."

Mr Utterback said the Iraqi forces he had been visiting had had some success shooting down the drones.

"When spotted, every rifle and man-carried machine gun opens up to try and shoot them down," he told the BBC.

"Almost half the time, they are successful."
More - Photos show 'weaponised commercial drones' in Iraq - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38663394)

Pete
February 21st, 2017, 12:45pm
This is when a good ole shotgun is the tool of choice.

luker
February 21st, 2017, 01:39pm
Reminds me of the pheasant hunting trip we did a few years ago. I could go drone hunting :D

petawawarace
February 21st, 2017, 02:43pm
I would think if its within shotgun range, you are running for cover instead

awndray
October 18th, 2017, 04:55pm
http://www.thedrive.com/aerial/15210/someone-crashed-a-drone-into-a-commercial-airplane-in-quebec

mightymousetech
October 18th, 2017, 04:56pm
Someone had a drone at the Chump race in Edmonton. The track is right beside the airport. The RCMP that showed up, very quickly, were very not impressed.

awndray
January 12th, 2018, 04:24pm
Paramedics in Renfrew County have a novel, new way to rescue patients in distress that sends help from above.*

Renfrew County is the first paramedic service in Canada to get approval from Transport Canada to use drones in medical emergencies. The service has received permission to drop off lifesaving medical supplies like naloxone kits, defibrillator machines and even floating devices to patients, even those out of the drone operator's line of sight.*

"We know that there are a lot of factors that might get in the way of paramedics responding to a patient at a time of need, weather, or distance or traffic even and the drone gives us the ability to get above all that," said Renfrew County Paramedic Chief Mike Nolan.

The service currently has four drones, two capable of dropping off and carrying larger items like AEDs. Those larger drones can carry up to 2.5 kilograms, roughly 4 kilometers in distance. The drones fly up to 80 km per hour and can fly for up to 30 minutes without needing to be recharged.*

"This is a game changer," Nolan said.*

The paramedic service has been working in collaborating with Transport Canada for more than two years and continue testing throughout 2018.*

"We are going to continue trials over the course of the next year to test the technology, the operators' capabilities to ensure that we can reach as far as possible with lifesaving tools like defibrillators," Nolan said.*

Renfrew Paramedics have already used the drones in search and rescue type scenarios, using the drone's infrared technology and cameras to locate patients in remote areas.

The drone's creator believes this is just the beginning.*

"If you could launch the UAV from the ambulance as it was on the way to a scene, it can fly over 80 km per hour and give the first responders information as to what the scene is going to look like and even map out a path for them to get in," said Philip Reece, the CEO of InDRO Robotics Inc.

The operators, all paramedics, must go through training and follow Transport Canada and NAV Canada rules before every flight. Some of the rules include giving way to airplanes and other manned vehicles, having good visibility and checking weather conditions with Nav Canada before taking off.*
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/paramedic-drone-giving-patients-in-renfrew-county-help-from-above-1.3755565
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1301371

1Morelap
January 12th, 2018, 04:39pm
Nolan sends his paramedics to the track for training and we use Renfrew during the bigger weekends. This is great news and a step in the right direction.

He also stole my USB key, but I didn't let it bother me. not at all. I swear. :) #jokes.

Wookie
January 12th, 2018, 04:45pm
Amazing idea. Even better is the forward thinking of having them roof mounted to ambulances. They can fly ahead and get the AED there faster (especially in urban settings).

awndray
January 12th, 2018, 04:51pm
I don't know if first responders do this in Canada, but I know that in some parts of the US, ambulances are equipped with a pair of binos. This allows them to investigate from a distance if they need to head to a hazmat call, to look for casualties or other dangers, before moving in and potentially putting themselves in greater danger.

This drone idea is a great alternative.

Wookie
January 12th, 2018, 05:05pm
We have binocs in all pump trucks. Dunno about ambulances.

yanrider
January 12th, 2018, 06:00pm
Neat!

awndray
January 20th, 2018, 04:24pm
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/videos/gallery/drone-yes-a-drone-rescues-swimmers-caught-in-rip-current-world-first/sharevideo/5714352124001/most_popular