PDA

View Full Version : Learn me on Helmets...

I12XLR8
February 2nd, 2015, 12:13pm
I'm heading out to Perry's next week with Pat and plan to come home with at least a helmet...maybe harnesses and a HANS too if the price is right.

What price range should I be looking at for a mid-range helmet? Does it make more sense to go as cheap as I can considering the limited time I'll be in the car and spend more elsewhere? Are there brands I should stay away from/gravitate to?

The current plan is to walk in the door and have their guys tell me what they think is best for me with Pat refereeing. Too often I've asked questions of MR after my purchases are made so I'm trying to do myself a favor here ;)

sb_915
February 2nd, 2015, 12:15pm
I'm heading out to Perry's next week with Pat and plan to come home with at least a helmet...maybe harnesses and a HANS too if the price is right. What price range should I be looking at for a mid-range helmet? Does it make more sense to go as cheap as I can considering the limited time I'll be in the car and spend more elsewhere? Are there brands I should stay away from/gravitate to? The current plan is to walk in the door and have their guys tell me what they think is best for me with Pat refereeing. Too often I've asked questions of MR after my purchases are made so I'm trying to do myself a favor here ;)

If it fits, buy this: http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread.php?43042-HJC-Helmet-AR10-II-SA2010-New-Never-used-Large

If not, by a size that fits.

/thread.

Jethro
February 2nd, 2015, 12:18pm
you will probably find differences between different helmet manufacturers WRT fit/comfort. I bought what fit/was comfortable/in my price range. Like anything - you can spend lots of $$ on a helmet. As long as you get a SA helmet with hans posts that is properly fitted to your melon you should be good to go.

if i had to do it over again I'd buy a lighter helmet than the one i have (GeForce).

I12XLR8
My current M rated HJC is XL so I'm assuming I'd need the same for all of their helmets?

wing
It's nice to have the super light carbon fiber helmet, but really not necessary. Do what Shawn said.

Get something that fits you.

I12XLR8
February 2nd, 2015, 12:19pm
if i had to do it over again I'd buy a lighter helmet than the one i have (GeForce).

You find that on short runs the weight still makes a difference?

wing
February 2nd, 2015, 12:21pm
My helmet is light(ish) Fiberglass. I only found it an issue this year with 30 min sessions in the Radical, never had an issue before. G-forces x weight of helmet == death to neck muscles.

But in a street car I never had issues, even after 2 hours in chumpcar.

Jethro
February 2nd, 2015, 12:21pm
You find that on short runs the weight still makes a difference?

at the end of full lapping days my neck was sore with my geforce. I borrowed a carbon fiber helmet one lapping day and felt a difference in soreness of neck area. the CF unit was half the weight of my geforce. dunno the $$ of the one i used.

karmaboy
February 2nd, 2015, 12:28pm
I bought the best I could find...Stilo. But my head is a bit more exposed than you sedan guys.
Lightness is nice.
My old Simpson was pretty good too (see pic in sig)...but kept lifting at WOT...again not a problem you sedan guys have.

jjamiemm
February 2nd, 2015, 12:31pm
My current M rated HJC is XL so I'm assuming I'd need the same for all of their helmets?

No different HJC models will fit slightly different.

wing
February 2nd, 2015, 12:32pm
Lift -- LOL. My M-helmet (used once in open wheel car), felt like it was going to rip my head off!

sb_915
February 2nd, 2015, 12:53pm
LOL you guys all sound like babies.

never had any issues with my neck/lift in cars or on motorcycles :P

*flamehatoff*

1Morelap
February 2nd, 2015, 12:56pm
get a tinted visor.

wing
February 2nd, 2015, 12:57pm
LOL you guys all sound like babies.

never had any issues with my neck/lift in cars or on motorcycles :P

*flamehatoff*

#guessyoureslow :P

sb_915
February 2nd, 2015, 01:03pm
#guessyoureslow :P

lol sure, whatever you say boss ;)

schmoo
February 2nd, 2015, 01:25pm
Helmet mass isn't just about comfort as a lighter helmet also means less force on your neck during an incident.

Get the best fitting, lightest, SA helmet you can afford.

condor888000
February 2nd, 2015, 01:52pm
I like GForce carbon helmet. Under $400 last I looked and half the weight of the composite one. Is awesome, I notice the difference compared to old helmet after 1 session.

dbg
February 2nd, 2015, 02:28pm
I also have the GForce carbon helmet. Decent price and much much lighter than my old helmet. Definitely notice the difference.

NoLimits Autoparts
February 2nd, 2015, 02:31pm
Yep, love the carbon Gforce helmet, Ill be stocking them again in the spring. Top seller is the non carbon in flat black.

petawawarace
February 2nd, 2015, 10:30pm
Is this just going to be for lapping or are you going to race anywhere? If racing, the SA standard changes every 5 years, and you'll want to get the newest version possible or risk having one out of date in 5 years or so.

Phone nice thing about the full containment seat we have is that you have zero strain on your neck. Just
let the seat do its job and hold your head up

I12XLR8
February 2nd, 2015, 11:09pm
Racing in the GT challenge at CMP. Nothing beyond that. I'll have HANS though so I shouldn't have to worry about snapping my neck it's just to save my skull and ease the strain on the rare full day events.

1Morelap
February 3rd, 2015, 08:01am
SA ratings go ten years. The SA2015 won't be sold until October.

FYI from Chumpcar 2015 rules: Undamaged, full-face, Type SA helmet, Snell SA2005 or SA2010, is mandatory. FIA 8860-2004/2010 certification is acceptable. On or about 1 October 2015, the Snell-approved SA2015 helmet will be released for sale. ChumpCar will allow the continued use of 2005 Snell-approved helmets until 1 January 2017, provided that all helmets are maintained properly and show no signs of wear, impact or abuse. On 2 January 2017, only 2010 and 2015 Snell-approved helmets would be allowed for club-based use by drivers

From SCCA 2015 rules:
Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell sticker 2005 or later Special Application (SA2005) or SAH2010, or by the SFI with a SFI Sticker SFI 31.1, or by the FIA standard 8860-2004 or later, or British Standards Institute BS6658-85 type A/FR. Each driverís helmet shall be labeled with a minimum of the driverís name. Effective 1/1/12 the use of a head and neck restraint system that has been certified in accordance with SFI 38.1, FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 is required; an SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 label must be properly affixed to the device. Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph) 916-331-5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be included. Freon based total loss helmet cooling systems are not allowed.

petawawarace
February 3rd, 2015, 03:40pm
I've seen some SA2005 helmets on sale recently and they would only be good for 2 years right now. That's all I was cautioning about.

I12XLR8
February 3rd, 2015, 04:56pm
I'll keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

luker
February 3rd, 2015, 10:08pm
I've seen some SA2005 helmets on sale recently and they would only be good for 2 years right now. That's all I was cautioning about.

Likely only good for one year. Typically helmets are good for sa rating plus 10 years in most sanctioning bodies. So sa2005 will be good this year but not allowed next year. Unless something delays delivery of sa2015 helmets this October.

DO NOT buy a SA2005 helmet. That would throwing money away.

petawawarace
February 3rd, 2015, 10:55pm
Likely only good for one year. Typically helmets are good for sa rating plus 10 years in most sanctioning bodies. So sa2005 will be good this year but not allowed next year. Unless something delays delivery of sa2015 helmets this October.

DO NOT buy a SA2005 helmet. That would throwing money away.

absolutly. I was referring to Greg's post about chumpcar, but I know different groups have different rules on helmets. Best to check with them first. That being said, if only being used for lapping, you may be able to get a smoking deal on an SA 2005 helmet for this same reason. Just be aware that if plans change a year from now you may need a new helmet

I12XLR8
February 7th, 2015, 02:04am
Road trip planned! Hopefully Carl doesn't take advantage of my sweet innocence...1 out of 1 Escape drivers say that he's got a smooth upsell.

I12XLR8
February 14th, 2015, 08:22pm
I got an HJC SA2010 along with HANS and some belts. Carl was awesome to deal with.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

sb_915
February 16th, 2015, 01:15pm
:like:

Scruffy
February 16th, 2015, 02:36pm
Solo rules (AutoX) are current Snell standard & previous 2 standards... As of January 1st of this year, Snell SA/M 2000 would no longer be acceptable for Solo Events. Snell 2015 is coming out. Another 5 years for SA/M 2005.

Really though, Snell states that shelf life aside, a regularly used helmet should only be used for a maximum of 5 years before replacement anyway.