PDA

View Full Version : SRS: AiM Solo Users

schmoo
August 12th, 2014, 11:26pm
If you have an AiM Solo, Solo DL, or other GPS-enabled AiM data system, please post-up.

I'm hoping we can all start using the same GPS maps, start/finish coordinates, etc. in order to make data log comparisons simpler and more useful.

If folks are interested, I'll use this post to maintain the "Official MR Reference Maps". Place holders below.

CMP:
Full Track
CMP Full - PS (http://www.uncommonpear.com/?p=1271)
http://forums.midnightruns.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23724&d=1407953216

CMP East Track
CMP East - ND (http://www.uncommonpear.com/?p=1272)

CMP West Track

SMP:
Long Track (http://www.uncommonpear.com/?p=1275)

Pro Track

Fabi

Nelson

Autodrome St-Eustache
Road Course (http://www.uncommonpear.com/?p=1274)

Oval (http://www.uncommonpear.com/?p=1273)

Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant

Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park)
GP Track

DDT

Watkins Glen

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 09:20am
Aim Solo checking in.

sb_915
August 13th, 2014, 09:40am
Dad has one we use in the chump car

gchislett
August 13th, 2014, 11:30am
I have one, but have no frekin' idea how to use it. The first day I brought it to Calabogie and tried to set up a reference point, it appears I used "all" available spaces for reference points. I accidentally set up maybe 6? So, when I went to Tremblant, and the map wasn't already on the timer (duh?) it said I couldn't set up anymore tracks, because all reference markers had been used.

If someone could help me load the maps or show me how to use it, that'd be awesome. I tried to get an update from the AIM site, and ended up getting a virus on my computer. /sigh/

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 12:14pm
I have one, but have no frekin' idea how to use it. The first day I brought it to Calabogie and tried to set up a reference point, it appears I used "all" available spaces for reference points. I accidentally set up maybe 6? So, when I went to Tremblant, and the map wasn't already on the timer (duh?) it said I couldn't set up anymore tracks, because all reference markers had been used.

If someone could help me load the maps or show me how to use it, that'd be awesome. I tried to get an update from the AIM site, and ended up getting a virus on my computer. /sigh/

LMAO! I don't have one, but it can't be that different from the reset of AiM's stuff. Do you use a laptop to deal with it or a desktop in your house?

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 12:15pm
I thought I loaded it up from racestudio. cmp east and west.

Jethro
August 13th, 2014, 12:19pm

LOL. you want me to bring that back from CMP too?

gchislett
August 13th, 2014, 12:40pm
if you know how to update it, yes! It's in my car. I'll bring my laptop when we meet up.

Jethro
August 13th, 2014, 12:46pm
if you know how to update it, yes! It's in my car. I'll bring my laptop when we meet up.

I have no idea, but google probably knows.
oh look: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/solo/download.htm
gps manager? can't be difficult. LMK.

gchislett
August 13th, 2014, 12:59pm
Yeah, bring it anyway, if you don't mind. You want to borrow my truck to bring all MY shit back. :)

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 01:07pm
bring this to steeustache geoff, I can help you set it up.

Jethro
August 13th, 2014, 01:11pm
Yeah, bring it anyway, if you don't mind. You want to borrow my truck to bring all MY shit back. :)

added to the list

Mario
August 13th, 2014, 01:14pm
I bought one this year. Was fed up with Harry’s lap timer.

I usually just create a new track and every time I come back to that track, solo knows.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 01:15pm
Greg,

AiM's maps might not have the start line from cmp in the right spot. We have a map that has the transponder line as the start line.

Geoff, I can help you as well.

N

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 01:31pm
Greg,

AiM's maps might not have the start line from cmp in the right spot. We have a map that has the transponder line as the start line.

Geoff, I can help you as well.

N

I think you're right. I think it's set for turn 20 or exit of. I keep forgetting to check, but it looks easy enough to change. My times have been within 0.100 of the mylaps transponders anyway.

Edit / so where is the transponder line ?

luker
August 13th, 2014, 01:46pm
Just past the flag tower.

condor888000
August 13th, 2014, 02:12pm
It's set just to exit of 20 in race studio. I think this is done to give you time to look on the straight before the kink.

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 02:50pm
It's set just to exit of 20 in race studio. I think this is done to give you time to look on the straight before the kink.

explains so much. I need to move that.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 03:07pm
Which is why I'm suggesting we all use the same GPS beacons. If we do, we'll have directly comparable data. Your speed at point X will be directly comparable to my speed at that same point, etc.

Here is a screen shot of the map that Pat and I have in common for CMP Full.

Start line was set by Pat when he took his solo to the Transponder line by hand.

Any views on the sector splits?

N

Mario
August 13th, 2014, 06:32pm
Some how do you select that track with Solo? Baby steps instructions would be great

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 06:47pm
When did this become MidnightGeriatrics?

Page 27 of the following: http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/doc/eng/solo/Solo_100_eng.pdf

N

Mario
August 13th, 2014, 07:10pm
Geriatrics!? Why can’t you just be nice

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 07:18pm
lol, I like the MRSchmoo.

so I don't get why we need the same GPS locations ?

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 07:23pm
huh, there's a CTCC calabogie in the GPS manager.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 07:40pm
If two timers/loggers are using different start/finish lines, the data gets off-set from one to the other.

For example, Pat sent me his Solo's data log from our last trip to CMP. His start line was the one he set at the transponder cable, but mine was closer to the exit of 20.

When I stacked our two best laps to compare, he appears to decelerate sooner for turn 1, gets on the power sooner, brakes sooner for two, etc.

Had we used the same start line, both our laps would have started at the point and we'd better able to see what we were doing differently over the lap.

Is that clear?

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 07:51pm
Added a CMP Full and a CMP East for download to the OP.

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 08:00pm
still not getting it. the track doesn't move, just line up graphs/maps with identical GPS coordinates?

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 08:08pm
Here are two screen caps of a lap comparison. The first uses mis-matched start-finish points.

This one uses matched start-finish points, but the lap time is over 10 seconds slower

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 08:21pm
right, Pat is slowing down in 4 and 7 and 16. Really wish I understood the problem. anyhoo.

how do I export my lap to you. obviously you'll have to slide it over to match the start point.

downloaded your map.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 08:43pm
Greg,

How do you slide the log over to match the starting points?

Exporting maps happens in GPS manager. check the map you want to export and hit the export button at the top.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 08:45pm
Geriatrics!? Why can’t you just be nice

You're asking why I can't be nice? Me? You've obviously not spent enough time with non-MR schmoo.

It's just you and Geoff talking like a couple of old folk confused by the new fangled technology. LOL.

Added ASE and SMP Long to the OP.

Mario
August 13th, 2014, 09:04pm
Dude, you’re trying to rally people to use AIM, just be nice. Don’t piss on people. Are we calling you names. I can use a computer just like you smart guy. I’m not confused, I have not tried. I’ve meet the non MRSchmoo, he’s much different then this guy here.

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 09:10pm
hmm, so the graph is based on time, not location ?

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 09:24pm
It's based on distance from the Start of the lap. If start is at T20 exit, the deceleration for T1 will much farther away from the start of the lap if Start is at the tower.

You can base it on time, but then won't be able to compare laps of different durations as well.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 09:34pm
[normal schmoo]

Mario,

I'm not actually suggesting that anyone should use an AiM system (although I would recommend their products).

I'm merely suggesting, based on the knowledge that many have made the investment in Solo systems, that we use a common timing framework to provide for greater comparability between data logs.

As for how to add/delete/select which track to use on a Solo unit, I can't offer any more insight than the published documentation as I do not own a unit. My unit is an older AiM MXL mated to a SmartyCAM HD GP. In my system, one uses AiM Software called "GPS Manager" to create and transfer tracks between computer and SmartyCAM HD. Selecting which track is can be done manually on the camera, or automatically by the camera based on GPS coordinates.

In the absence of input from Solo owners, I can point you to some instructional videos on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/aimsports

Also, here is AiM's documentation/download section: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/index.htm

[/normal schmoo]

10 minutes earlier:

Dude, you’re trying to rally people to use AIM, just be nice. Don’t piss on people. Are we calling you names. I can use a computer just like you smart guy. I’m not confused, I have not tried. I’ve meet the non MRSchmoo, he’s much different then this guy here.

* gives head shake and blinks a few times *

I'm being scolded, told to be nice, not to piss on people, and not to call people names... on MR? Yup, it says http://forums.midnightruns.com in the browser address bar. Yup.

* give head another shake and looks over shoulder *

Nope, I haven't been transported to an alternate dimesion. So I guess I will deploy non-MR schmoo as non-MR Mario seems to have commandeered the keyboard. Here goes... (see above)

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 09:38pm
hmm , my chart says time base in the top left corner. how do we change that ?

93GTCANADA
August 13th, 2014, 09:38pm
You two should make out.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 09:44pm
This shows how to align two laps that don't have the same GPS beacons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jrs8jUxOjw

Greg,

In RS2, there should be a button to toggle between time and distance base. Look in the top left corner.

1Morelap
August 13th, 2014, 09:47pm
oooh under modify

Mario
August 13th, 2014, 09:56pm
Naresh, I (the only Mario) and we MR, get exactly what you’re doing. Just recognize who your friends are before pissing all over the place.

tellum
August 13th, 2014, 10:00pm
Psst, Mario. Relax.

Jethro
August 13th, 2014, 10:03pm
Psst, Mario. Relax.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 10:07pm
oooh under modify

There's also a button, looks like a clock or a watch.. top right of the measures graph.

93GTCANADA
August 13th, 2014, 10:23pm
Anyone have a baby wipe to take the sand out of Mario's vagina.

wing
August 13th, 2014, 10:45pm
How do I get my AIM to not be stupid and use long track. I picked calabogie east manually today and that didn't help. So I picked the other track no go either.

I have your maps schmoo because I have your timer... unless you moved them. Works great on long track. I've had it work on short before but today wasn't right... oh well.

schmoo
August 13th, 2014, 11:48pm
My maps had the incorrect start/finish (near T20), but I never had a problem with not using a map I selected manually. On auto select, it might take a while to figure out where it is.

Try installing the east track I uploaded and then manually select it.

schmoo
August 15th, 2014, 02:11pm
OP updated with links to:

ASE Oval
ASE Road Course
SMP Long Course

N

catana
August 22nd, 2014, 08:50am

Geoff,

im im pretty sure I fixed this for you last year at cmp?

gchislett
August 22nd, 2014, 09:02am
Yup, but I went to Tremblant and couldn't figure out how to delete a reference point so I could set up another one.

schmoo
September 2nd, 2014, 05:12pm
Greg or Geoff:

Either of you have solo data from GT race using the posted maps?

If you do, email to me at naresh at uncommonpear dot com.

N

1Morelap
September 2nd, 2014, 05:16pm
can't remember what map I picked, but we ran short track. #chumpcar

gchislett
September 2nd, 2014, 09:27pm
My Solo is still at the track. I wouldn't know how to d/l the info anyway.

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 10:29am
Shawn,

Don't you guys have a map of the Glen from your chump race? Or did you not have the solo at the time?

wing
October 5th, 2014, 03:21pm
Not sure what files you need, no time to figure out this software, gotta be the most complicated software I've ever used.

Here is a zip of all the files from my 2:09 runs.

http://www.autos.ca/james/radicaldata.zip

wing
October 5th, 2014, 03:31pm
PS. your map links are 404