PDA

View Full Version : new to track days, what do you tell your friends/coworkers that want to get in on it.

1Morelap
July 6th, 2014, 08:07pm
I know we all know. so what are you telling your friends?

I get emailed at least once a day from a completely green and very excited person.

Their dreams are crushed when I tell them I can't just 'let them on the track' with out some previous experience.

"I've been to every CDN Grandprix for the last 10 years, I'm familiar with flags" doesn't work.

"I'm a dad and a safe driver for 25 years" doesn't work.

Here's my general response, I get mixed results, some are into it, they've been referred by someone that appears to have said the same thing.

and others are insulted they would even need to consider some sort of track education, probably a good thing for us anyway.

" I just want to find out if I'll like it before I take a school "

Awesome, here's what I suggest. Our nites are a bit overwhelming for the first time driver, we're not a school as there's too much to learn in just a couple hours.

Drop by any of our nites, bring a helmet, or rent one from the track for 20$ each. and then find me, just ask for Greg. And I'll set you up with some good drivers to show you around the track as passengers. This will give you a good idea of what it's like.

Then take a track school, many of our drivers including myself are instructors and nearly everyone has participated in these schools. You'll be so much further ahead.

You'll find me at all of the MCO schools. They have a full day on track, you drive in your own novice run group with an instructor for $350.00. That's a great deal.
http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php/disciplines/lapping Tell them I sent you!

Another very thorough school is offered by the BMW club. http://bmwccottawa.org/schools/advanced-driving

There is also the ASE lapping club that provides a full day of instruction at Calabogie http://www.aselc.ca/

There are also learning opportunities with CMP as well, http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/drive/drive-your-own-car/

feel free to ask me any questions any time, happy to help you get on track safely and quickly!

I even suggest AutoX if I think they know what I'm talking about.

getting them out as a passenger never fails, they thank me for the eye opener and are well on their way. Until then...

and I try not to go into detail, http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread.php?20045-First-Track-Day-HPDE-(-quot-Lapping-quot-)-FAQ stuff like that blows minds

SpidermanGeek
July 6th, 2014, 08:36pm
TL;DNR... Can I bring my car and go rassin'?

1Morelap
July 6th, 2014, 08:42pm
lol, sure.

Andre
July 6th, 2014, 08:42pm
Step 1, ask wife for permission

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1414/14143859/2431433-8537757196-BA-ZI.gif

SpidermanGeek
July 6th, 2014, 09:06pm
Step 2, end up at the theater watching a nicholas sparks movie.

Mario
July 6th, 2014, 09:08pm
The problem is Calabogie. Its a ‘BIG’ dangerous track. Calabogie is not a good place to start lapping. First, you will burn your brakes and tires (http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=tires) and probably will never return to a track event because it’s going to cost you 2 or $3,000 to replace tires (http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=tires)and brakes. People have no idea. Some will go slow and put no significant wear on there car but will hate having faster cars on there bumpers all day. Its stressful. The track is long, 5km, and you easily get loss cause its trees everywhere.

If there from Quebec, send them to Mecaglisse. I started there with an expensive, but very good lapping course ($800). It was worth every penny, just from the instructing of preparing your car and what to except in term of track wear. Or simply join one of there lapping events in the novice group. Cheap ($150). Its slow & track is small. You can also be served in English.

Every friend that wanted to try it out for the first time, I brought there. Chances for damage is smaller on a smaller tracks & slower tracks. Its less intimidating too. Simple. If you go off, you’ll hit sand. It’ll cost you $20 for the tractor to pull you out with almost zero damage to the car.

In Ontario, I would send them to Shannonville. They have a school. Its nothing exceptional but most folks want to say they spent a day on the track and they went so fast.... which is not necessarily the case. One thing I hate though about Shannonville, is there are more business oriented than safety oriented, like you don’t need a helmet!?

Key is go for rides first like Greg says. Is this what you want to do. Once people start pulling Gs, half changes there minds. See if you have the balls for this type of thing, then find a small track. Calabogie is a big technical track. Very tough track to master. Half the corners are blind.

Locally, MCO & BMW schools are the only groups I would recommend

(Small tracks with lapping events & lapping instructing available : Mecaglisse, iCar, Saint-Eustache, Shannonville)

GoP-Demon
July 6th, 2014, 09:13pm
^ for the people who just want to say they went to something I usually just say try the g1tour.

I recommended MCO. Still waiting to get signed off. Wish I asked more about that. Although I know it's bad to see that as your goal. Hopefully resume will be good enough for 1morelap :car:

raggedrabbit
July 6th, 2014, 09:15pm
I just invite everyone out to the track to ride along. Do you like going fast? How about a ride in a race car? As above, people see the dedication to the sport and what it takes to participate from everybody at the track, but they also catch the bug having been there. There are no hard feelings after a few fast passes when you tell them they can't just get in and go.

GoP-Demon
July 6th, 2014, 09:24pm
Not exactly sure why, but my first ride along felt horrible. Blind corners and not knowing where I am going really made me nauseous and I think a stripped down car and being in a race harness didn't help. Also didn't fit in the red civic passenger seat.

After I knew the layout I didn't mind riding along in my own car.

Mario
July 6th, 2014, 09:29pm
There you go, most ride along will totally turn people off. Its too scary. If we are to help Greg, lets take folks for nice, slow rides where you talk to them all the time instead of trying to beat our best time. Talking to them all the time is key. let them know what’s coming ahead of time. Big braking zone coming up, brace yourself. We’re going to be pulling some Gs in the next curve, are you ok with that? Stuff like that. Tell them you are barely pushing. Are you ok with that. Do you want to go faster? or not?

Andre
July 6th, 2014, 09:33pm
I have nothing to add, other than I did the BMW school, it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot. Think that was my first time driving on a race track — great way to do it.

bunta
July 6th, 2014, 09:35pm
well worded Greg

being interested and excited is great.. but for a person who has never been on a track is a recipe for bad shit

nothing worse than seeing a car get wrecked or a person hurt on a track.

all anyone wants is to is have fun and go home safe.

driving hard on the street or highways doesnt compare to track experience.

don't change your format... sure people might be insulted or get their nose up.. but let the newbies learn properly

just going to a race track for the first time is exciting.. way to much to learn
too many things going on

best way for anyone interested.. invite them to an event strap on a helmet.. and take it all in slowly

shit can go bad quick on a track.. people have to remember or be prepared to walk away if it goes 4 wheels off

Andre
July 6th, 2014, 09:36pm
Actually I must have done a couple MR Shannonville days before that, because I remember my Talon rubbing with Armando in it... Then fat jokes. I had that car well before my Cooper S, which was what I had at BMW school thingy...

#memorylane #okbye

Northern Rider
July 6th, 2014, 10:26pm
Well put, Greg. And - I agree with Mario about taking it easy with passengers and talking to them - what's coming up - how are you feeling - etc.

joe_herz
July 6th, 2014, 10:34pm
I have nothing to add, other than I did the BMW school, it was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot. Think that was my first time driving on a race track — great way to do it.

Ditto. Going 120 on the highway doesn't qualify as fast. People dont' get that until they drive the car at the limit.

I'll be back one day...

BTW anyone have a link to the different car classes for the Calabogie GT series? After seeing you guys during IMSA weekend, I'm hooked.

pyxen
July 6th, 2014, 10:44pm
When I took rides with Greg the first time out, it didn't feel so bad..maybe because it was all just so new, and I was taking everything in, but it was easier then. Only had a couple of laps that time tho..definitely stiffed me a few good ones ;)

I had no idea how fast it really felt to be a passenger until I sat in with Sean (97gst) at the June 6th event. I swear I looked over at the speedo and we were doing 100-110kph into 1, and it felt faster than when I do it at 140 :P Steph was freaked out with me going @ 80% with her last year, and I can see why now...even the rear end stepping out a tiny bit prolly shook her up with zero control, and a different sense of speed.

I always invite people out, but it's only those who really mean it who actually make the 1hr trip. None of my buddies have even strapped a helmet on yet -- I've invited them multiple times over the past 2 yrs.

1Morelap
July 6th, 2014, 10:47pm
Ditto. Going 120 on the highway doesn't qualify as fast. People dont' get that until they drive the car at the limit.

I'll be back one day...

BTW anyone have a link to the different car classes for the Calabogie GT series? After seeing you guys during IMSA weekend, I'm hooked.

it's classed on lap times. faster is gt1, 2:24 to 2:29 is gt2 2:29 to 2:34 is gt3, slower is gt4 :)

dbg
July 6th, 2014, 11:02pm
Locally, MCO & BMW schools are the only groups I would recommend

Entrack (CMP Lapping - daytime) uses good instructors, very safety oriented. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend that. More expensive than MCO, but there are more events.

Jethro
July 6th, 2014, 11:09pm
MR lapping night ride alongs are kinda like CMP "grab the dash". But is free...
Everyone that asks me I say come out and try the ride along to feel the rush, or lack thereof. Take it from there.

Always in to give rides.

Pete
July 6th, 2014, 11:10pm
Next time I set foot at cmp, I'm driving.... someday...

Wookie
July 6th, 2014, 11:14pm
Sooooo....

Teammates?

LOL

evoly
July 7th, 2014, 12:41am
The word about lapping is spreading big time! Having Calabogie close to us has helped. Not so long ago it wasn't as popular and nobody (unless into the automotive forums and events like most of us here) even knew of or heard of Shannonville and such events.

The hype is there! Everyone who is a car fan dreams of having a piece of it... but fact is it's a sport that requires respect and is no place for "know it all's". That's like saying..."holy shit, that helicopter looks awesome! How about you just let me drive the bitch!?!?"

If people want to carry attitude after you've given them options to attend such an event then they don't deserve to be there. They obviously just want to say they've done it. So yeah, G1Tour is the way to do that. As most of us I've done MCO school, autoX and shannonville before ever driving Calabogie. And I'm glad I did.

karmaboy
July 7th, 2014, 08:46am
One of my first students was a guy with a really hot car but zero talent.
Did a lot of laps with him and I thought he was at a point where he could solo.
He was enthusiastic and really committed...but sadly messed up his car when he did finally go out solo. Hasn't been back (for this and other reasons)
I was really bummed it happened and assume some of the responsibility.

But...some folks need to come to terms with the fact that they don't have an intuitive feel for the car or even basic instincts. Its probably best they stay off the track.

Conversely...tutored a 16yr old girl at DDT. Her first time on the track and she taught me a few things...trail braking in spots I never considered...left foot braking. An inspired and natural driver.

mightymousetech
July 7th, 2014, 08:48am
I would not even think of recommending people go lapping without at least a full season of autox under their belt. Learn to handle your car, vehicle dynamics, how to look ahead and how to plan vehicle positioning in a low speed/safe environment. If you can't get a handle and be competitive in autox, maybe you should not be lapping.

luker
July 7th, 2014, 09:00am
I would not even think of recommending people go lapping without at least a full season of autox under their belt. Learn to handle your car, vehicle dynamics, how to look ahead and how to plan vehicle positioning in a low speed/safe environment. If you can't get a handle and be competitive in autox, maybe you should not be lapping.

This.

Taparep

mphysk
July 7th, 2014, 09:14am

yup! everything here.
and the invite along as passenger is key. i went to calabogie the first time with only a helmet and i'm glad i did, almost as much fun as driving.

Blind
July 7th, 2014, 09:14am
I know we all know. so what are you telling your friends?

I tell them not too bother if they are complete newbs and too get a hold of you if they have track expereince.

8JVR6
July 7th, 2014, 09:35am
I guess the only question I have it when you have those newbie nights, what is the different from a normal night?

I took the BMW HPDE then a couple MCO nights, no autocross experience. I think the course is really good.

1Morelap
July 7th, 2014, 09:50am
novice nite, it wasn't for new drivers. It was more of an open invite to Trackwerks Clients, most of them had a couple events at shannonville, or AutoX, or CMP days on a bike, basically they've done something before or have shown why they won't be a problem, but have never driven CMP. Difference is the number of them, 20 novices, plus 20 instructors. So the expectation is it's going to be a slower nite. Usually have room for 2 or 3 on a regular nite.

mikeman
July 7th, 2014, 10:06am
I taught myself on back roads and video games, and I turned out okay.

I tell people they will learn more taking a proper school then they can even imagine. I recommend it to my bike friends too, learn more in a day about your vehicle than in a year on the street.

8JVR6
July 7th, 2014, 10:10am
Greg, I see your posters everywhere, is it not from people seeing them and emailing you?

1Morelap
July 7th, 2014, 10:26am
is what ? I get more emails from people with experience.

schmoo
July 7th, 2014, 10:28am
+1,000,000 on the "Do some autox first".

I'd also add, "Do some autox in your lapping car first".

The ego that says "autox is too slow, I'm better than that" isn't the best ego for lapping.

1Morelap
July 7th, 2014, 10:28am
I tell them not too bother if they are complete newbs

Tell them to come out for a ride. They don't know what they're missing. :)

1Morelap
July 7th, 2014, 10:32am
Cones isn't for everyone. It's not in any racing movies/tv shows or magazines, not ego, they're just not into it. Careybrah made it work.

I agree it's an asset, bogie is full of MCO hispeed autox corners. we just need to smooth out their inputs :P

Blind
July 7th, 2014, 10:33am
yeah, I tell them they should come out anyways as being a passenger is still a lot of fun. unless im driving, then youll be puking.

off topic. buying pics from turn 21 site. it asks what kind of finish I want...gloss...flat...I dont care, I just want the file to do as I please. when I pay $10 for a pick, do I get a digital copy to do as I please?

tellum
July 7th, 2014, 10:34am
I've never AutoX'd. Could never really get into it. I've been to watch and for ridealongs a few times. Just doesn't really appeal to me. Although I'd be willing to give it a shot if I ever have a free day on a weekend.

/notlikely

1Morelap
July 7th, 2014, 10:34am
I've always got the digital file when buying.

Blind
July 7th, 2014, 10:35am
I've never AutoX'd. Could never really get into it. I've been to watch and for ridealongs a few times. Just doesn't really appeal to me. Although I'd be willing to give it a shot if I ever have a free day on a weekend.

/notlikely

schmoo
July 7th, 2014, 10:58am
Cones isn't for everyone. It's not in any racing movies/tv shows or magazines, not ego, they're just not into it. Careybrah made it work.

I agree it's an asset, bogie is full of MCO hispeed autox corners. we just need to smooth out their inputs :P

Agree it's not for everyone, and I'm not suggesting you need a multi-year career before heading to the track (I did 7 autox before my first track day) but if you try one autox day, you know pretty quickly whether your Grand Turismo skills transfer over to the real world 1:1.

Slick
July 7th, 2014, 11:46am
Good topic Greg.
To Mario's point, I don't think that Calabogie is a problem because it's a big, fast track. It actually is pretty newb-friendly, but it just takes a while to drive it quickly and know all the corners.

I think the biggest issue you have Greg is that it's the cheapest way to get onto Calabogie, so people will naturally want to try it out spending $130 instead of a $350 day at MCO to know if they'll like it. Nothing for you to do here, other than spread the word that experience is required. Eventually, people will come to know that and call on the other options first.

Jethro
July 7th, 2014, 11:49am
and....."experience" is a loaded term.
what looks good on paper sometimes doesn't translate well to real life.

Mechs02
July 7th, 2014, 11:52am
and....."experience" is a loaded term.
what looks good on paper sometimes doesn't translate well to real life.

QFT!

And it goes both ways, I've had students who had "experience" that couldn't grasp outside-inside-outside, as well as complete newbs, who completely understood the feel and balance of their car an totally "got it"... the later is my favorite!

1Morelap
September 9th, 2014, 11:06am
so this needs a bump.

GoP-Demon
September 9th, 2014, 11:10am
How bad was it?

I've been telling people to try and get to the MCO day. I lure em by saying it starts at $150 on Sunday.

1Morelap
September 9th, 2014, 11:16am
not sure what you are ever talking about GOP.

mikeman
September 9th, 2014, 11:19am
LOL

GoP-Demon
September 9th, 2014, 11:24am
Oh I meant they should try the next MCO day on the 21st. Half day starts at $150.

taylor192
September 9th, 2014, 02:24pm
I can see why people want to "try it" before paying for school. I completed BMW Car Control ($225), am registered for BMW Road Skills ($325), then have to do another class ($200+) before I can register for BMW HPDE ($325). I'll be out over $1K before I'm allowed on the local track for lapping days.

1Morelap
September 9th, 2014, 02:28pm
that's BMW vancouvers? problem. Any novice can take the BMW school at CMP or MCO school with zero experience starting at $350. BMW ottawa even offers those with less than 3 events a discount.

mphysk
September 9th, 2014, 02:28pm
gotta say i'm guilty of bringing out friends who would have been better off taking a school before greg's events. we had two on track incidents that likely would have been avoided if we were in a school format.... greg's evenings are so condensed that it is simply way too much to absorb in two hours. even though my friends have a lot of shannonville and autox experience, calabogie is a whole different animal. felt bad after for vouching for peeps who might have negatively affected greg's well run machine.

One
September 9th, 2014, 02:46pm
Im guilty of bugging greg to get on with a lack of experience....

...hides behind couch

RandomHer0
September 9th, 2014, 02:52pm
Are days getting hard to fill?

awndray
September 9th, 2014, 02:54pm
not sure what you are ever talking about GOP.
:lol:

1Morelap
September 9th, 2014, 03:10pm
Are days getting hard to fill?

nah, that's going ok.

The price has attracted a lot of new drivers that have never turned a wheel. I send them on the right path, some take it, some don't.

taylor192
September 9th, 2014, 03:12pm
Any novice can take the BMW school at CMP or MCO school with zero experience starting at $350. BMW ottawa even offers those with less than 3 events a discount.
Can you get on the track for BMW HPDE without any previous classes? Crazy. Maybe I should take it there instead of here...

mikeman
September 9th, 2014, 03:13pm
system works then? If you won't take instruction, you shouldn't be out there.

1Morelap
September 9th, 2014, 03:14pm
Taylor- Yup. just need a drivers license and a pulse. They have helmets to rent, the novice run groups will allow soft tops too.

bunta
September 9th, 2014, 04:19pm
Im guilty of bugging greg to get on with a lack of experience....,

...hides behind couch
just a friendly question

Have you been to calabogie as a passenger?

How long have you been lapping, and what tracks have you driven on

One
September 9th, 2014, 04:23pm
just a friendly question

Have you been to calabogie as a passenger?

How long have you been lapping, and what tracks have you driven on
Friendly answer:

Been to bogie many times as a passenger.

Looking to get into lapping, and have only ever done parade laps and 1/4 mile stuff. Hence 'lack of experience'. I too fell victim to 'oo thats cheaper than bmw school' train of thought.

Greg has straightened me out. Off to get some experience. Maybe lap with you guys next year :-)

schmoo
September 9th, 2014, 04:26pm
gotta say i'm guilty of bringing out friends who would have been better off taking a school before greg's events. we had two on track incidents that likely would have been avoided if we were in a school format.... greg's evenings are so condensed that it is simply way too much to absorb in two hours. even though my friends have a lot of shannonville and autox experience, calabogie is a whole different animal. felt bad after for vouching for peeps who might have negatively affected greg's well run machine.

I share in guilt. *hangs head*

However, was the issue a result of "first time at CMP", or just stepping a bit over the line? I'm not a newb, but I went 4 wheels off at Temptation the last time I did a 1morelap session. Instruction wasn't the issue.

GoP-Demon
September 9th, 2014, 04:42pm
Friendly answer:

Been to bogie many times as a passenger.

Looking to get into lapping, and have only ever done parade laps and 1/4 mile stuff. Hence 'lack of experience'. I too fell victim to 'oo thats cheaper than bmw school' train of thought.

Greg has straightened me out. Off to get some experience. Maybe lap with you guys next year :-)

There's still time to learn this year. a few CMP days and 1 MCO.

taylor192
September 10th, 2014, 03:01pm
system works then? If you won't take instruction, you shouldn't be out there.
Agreed... although that only seems to be the case in Vancouver. I need Car Control, then Road Skills x2, before I can take HPDE... while I can skip that in Ottawa.

Maybe the extra courses are mandated by our local track. There's little run off and concrete walls, so mistakes are costly. A lot of newbs, myself included, are afraid of running our DDs on that track.

1Morelap
September 10th, 2014, 03:05pm
nah, its marketing. dangle a carrot and keep them coming back for more.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 03:22pm
At first I thought you could treat Bogie like they do the Nurburgring. Pay 50$, run your car 'round the track for an hour at your own risk.

Then I found out that you gotta spend almost half a grand before you can even strap a helmet on a get behind the wheel at the track.

So it looks like Lapping won't be for me unless it's in a Video Game.

Blind
September 10th, 2014, 03:25pm
Lol.

Greg, keep doing what you're doing. I dont want to be lapping with inexperienced riders at all.

1Morelap
September 10th, 2014, 03:27pm
$350.00 is the new 1/2 a grand.

Spidey, Your heart explodes racing online. Consider it an investment in the driver, that you can take with you to any car.

Not many understand that concept, especially when we're told/marketed we need brake lines, tires, suspension, tunes, turbos, stage5potatoseats etc etc.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 03:53pm
I'm just bitter because I'd like to do it, but can't bring myself to drop a minimum of 350 smackers just to see if I "like" it. Then my financial woes grow exponentially if I actually DO happen to like it.

We're not talking about 350 bucks and it's done. That's 350 to open the door. Then you still gotta pay for every event you want to participate in and so on and so forth and it doesn't stop until it's a way of life.

That's the real fear.

I have enough to handle financially with the travelling and my little comic book hobby.. I don't need to add lapping to that. I unfortunatelly can't do it all on my little government salary no matter how much I'd like too.

I don't even go karting cause I find it too expensive.

Damn this frugal mind of mine!

So I'm not "really" complaining about the cost or the obvious benefit of learning to crawl before you can run... I'm complaining that I don't have the willpower to dedicate the time and money into doing this.

And you can't say it's because I spend all my money on comic books because I probably spend less on comics than most of you spend at Starbucks in a year. I just don't have that kind of disposable income and it's kind of a piss-off.

wing
September 10th, 2014, 03:56pm
I share in guilt. *hangs head*

However, was the issue a result of "first time at CMP", or just stepping a bit over the line? I'm not a newb, but I went 4 wheels off at Temptation the last time I did a 1morelap session. Instruction wasn't the issue.

It's lapping, check race car driver at the door? Bring lapping driver to track.

7/10ths

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 03:57pm
I don't even go karting cause I find it too expensive.

$1/minute karting at Top karting.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 03:58pm
I know! Shit's expensive. That's a month worth of Timmie's coffees for one hour of fun.

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 03:59pm
They usually only let you buy in 15-20 minutes on sunday afternoons.

Jeeze. Richy rich and his timmies coffee :P

Mario
September 10th, 2014, 04:42pm
Spidey, I still think you should do it. How much do you spend travelling? That’s an experience. Trade that budget for another kind of experience.

My daughter’s starting to give me shit about the money I spend in cars. She wants to travel more. I tell her when she starts making money, she’ll get to decide what she wants to do with it, until then I’ve switch money I used to put on plain tickets every year amongst other things. My kids are too spoiled. Life is short and its all about the experiences you have while you’re healthy and kicking IMO

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 04:45pm
You guys all talk like you don't have wives. lol.

That's teh other part of the equation.

"Honey, I know you wanted us to go to Vegas, but I'm gonna take that money and go lapping istead. k thx by"

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 04:46pm
ride a longs are free. Not sure if that was of interest to you.

edit: This is pretty much the opposite of original topic.

Blind
September 10th, 2014, 04:46pm
Works for me.

1Morelap
September 10th, 2014, 04:51pm
You guys all talk like you don't have wives. lol.

That's teh other part of the equation.

"Honey, I know you wanted us to go to Vegas, but I'm gonna take that money and go lapping istead. k thx by"

whoa, we're looking at this all wrong. You stay home, and she does the lapping with us. It's research for her nascar novel. You could probably write this off.

Mario
September 10th, 2014, 04:55pm
My wife sees that I’m passionate about it and that it makes me happy. She’s passionate about other things and I certainly don’t go checking how much money she’s spending. There’s a lot of loving & respect in whatever subject we never talk about in my home but I get it, reason over passion

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 05:03pm
The "problem" is that comic books are already my passion. I already spend money and a lot of time doing comic book related things (blog, reviews, interviews, cons, database contributions). So it's that my wife doesn't support what makes me happy, she's just not keen on me devoting ALL of my time and money on everything I'm passionate about. There'd be no time left for her except for 5 glorious minutes at bed time.

That and our income is pooled. I don't have "my own" money to spend. I give all my money to her and she tells me what I'm allowed to spend.

schmoo
September 10th, 2014, 05:04pm
We all have budgets, we all have interests that have different priorities. I'll spend money lapping in a heart beat over a weekend get away. Some would go the otherway. Perhaps their home isn't as nice as mine.

luker
September 10th, 2014, 05:07pm
If $350 seems steep to you, step away from the track. Depending on car you can spend that alone on consumables for a lapping day.

And what Mario said is true, at least for us old farts who been in a single relationship this long. My wife does not argue about a dime i spend on racing, and believe me I've spent wayyyyy too many dimes this year. Being at the track keeps me sane and she sees that. Also helps that I manage the household finances :)

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 05:07pm
Now you got me talking like my life sucks. Lol. It doesn't. There just isn't enough time and money to do EVERYTHING I'd love to be doing as far as pursuing passions go and for me, the comic book industry, my wife and roadtrips win out over lapping.

Doesn't mean I can't piss and moan about not doing it. Lol. I just get jelly of those of you with rassing/lapping as your top passion. It's cool and wish I could do it along with everything else.

schmoo
September 10th, 2014, 05:10pm
You can do it. You choose not to in favour of comic books (serious?) and road trips.

Mario
September 10th, 2014, 05:11pm
My brother in law is like that too. My sisters home looks like a HGTV show

A good example of this happen Monday. My daughter starts giving me shit at dinner about an racing wheels invoice my wife found in my car. The next day, she’s getting a new puppy. Do you think I complained about it to her. She’s smart.

Meet Bella. She’s arriving Thursday evening.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 05:11pm
Yeah, that's about right.

dbg
September 10th, 2014, 05:12pm
Spidey, I love two things about the track:

1. There's a LOT of room to develop new skills, you're continuously learning. I love the challenge of improving myself, and learning new things about myself.

2. When you're on the track, there is NO time to think about anything else. All the worries of your daily life disappear. You simply don't have any brainpower left to think about them. It's amazingly relaxing - even when you're pushing your limits as a driver.

Yes, doing stuff on a race track is expensive. But if you can afford it, it's so rewarding.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 05:14pm
I wish I could afford it. I'd have to give up too much to be able to. That's the bottom line i guess

mikeman
September 10th, 2014, 05:17pm
Just sell the ps3 and try it out. If you don't like it, you can always buy a ps4 later.

Maybe another cheaper option is st eustache or shannonville. . They used to have beginner days there..

mikeman
September 10th, 2014, 05:19pm
Best bang for your buck in motorsports is dirt bikes. Followed by sportbike track days.
Then throwing money onto a forest fire.
Then cars.

schmoo
September 10th, 2014, 05:22pm
It's not that bad... set of pads, set of tires per season, some fuel, admission. What's the big?

schmoo
September 10th, 2014, 05:26pm
As for bikes, they're cheap until you hit your head and end up like Carey.

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 05:30pm
Cost of vehicle...?

condor888000
September 10th, 2014, 05:31pm
It's not that bad... set of pads, set of tires per season, some fuel, admission. What's the big?

You don't get to be in this discussion money bags.

Slick
September 10th, 2014, 05:42pm
Cost of vehicle...?

Which you already own? Unless track car.
I'd still be driving a sports car even if I didn't go to the track.

figo
September 10th, 2014, 05:44pm
Spidey, do what you want. It's as expensive as you want it to be, no matter the hobby. I love how Greg evaluates everyone individually, he understands the value of our safety.

Racing isn't cheap, you need understanding, patience and sacrifice from everyone, even Mario's daughter.

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 05:44pm
hmm that's true. But I was also thinking wear and tear and mileage.

dbg
September 10th, 2014, 05:46pm
Maybe another cheaper option is st eustache or shannonville. . They used to have beginner days there..

That's good advice. Shannonville is quite a bit farther away, but the track isn't nearly as hazardous as Calabogie and... let's just say they're more relaxed about the rules as a result. It's also a lot cheaper.

I learned lapping first at Shannonville, took a 2-day race school there. Learned tons, not too expensive. Then I came to Calabogie and was completely overwhelmed. Took me a couple more track days (at higher prices) to get comfortable enough to be signed off.

SpidermanGeek
September 10th, 2014, 05:50pm
Spidey, do what you want. It's as expensive as you want it to be, no matter the hobby. I love how Greg evaluates everyone individually, he understands the value of our safety.

Racing isn't cheap, you need understanding, patience and sacrifice from everyone, even Mario's daughter.

Lol.

And instead of selling the Sunfire when I buy a truck, i should track it? But it's a sunfire.

schmoo
September 10th, 2014, 05:52pm
Lol.

And instead of selling the Sunfire when I buy a truck, i should track it? But it's a sunfire.

So, keep it and track it. You make it as costly or as cheap as you want to. Will you cry if your sunfire blows up or gets bent? Perfect track car.

Blind
September 10th, 2014, 05:53pm
Faster than a TDI, which I've run into a few times lapping.

Well. I didn't really run into them.

1Morelap
September 10th, 2014, 05:56pm
clearly Spidey is a troll

Wookie
September 10th, 2014, 05:57pm
That and our income is pooled. I don't have "my own" money to spend. I give all my money to her and she tells me what I'm allowed to spend.

Boy have I got something for you!!!

Northern Rider
September 10th, 2014, 06:12pm
Not directed at anyone in particular - If you are passionate about motorsports, especially road courses - come up to Calabogie. You owe it to yourself to actually be where the action is - at one of the most interesting & most challenging tracks - anywhere.

You can watch road racing on the tube, play it on vid games, read about, talk about it . . . but strapping into a seat and tackling the twisties has no substitute.

If you come up this weekend, there are plenty of guys that will give you a ride-along.

I certainly will, this Saturday - as long as you don't mind going in a 4 door Chrysler 300 sedan - with an old man driving - that is! :)

mikeman
September 10th, 2014, 06:26pm
YEAH if GoP can put down the laptop and do it.........

;)

Gojira
September 10th, 2014, 06:39pm
YEAH if GoP can stop masturbating to anime on his laptop and do it.........

;)
fixed.
:)

taylor192
September 10th, 2014, 07:28pm
It's lapping, check race car driver at the door? Bring lapping driver to track.
This is why I was never interested. I want to race, not to lap... and yes I know racing is mostly lapping! I should buy a kart... although that's another topic.

I enrolled in the BMW school for the education. Regardless if I eventually get into lapping or not, the education is worth it. The BMW school has great instructors.

1Morelap
September 10th, 2014, 07:31pm
Taylor, there must be some chumpcar events your way? find a ride, racing at it's most basic form. No school or experience required either.

Jon.0
September 10th, 2014, 07:45pm
Spidey, I feel like my 2 cents will be relevant to you, so here they are.

A few years, I had a Mazda 3 that I wasn't using much anymore (bought it from mightmousetech) and I had been itching to take a rip around calabogie. Finally got up the nerve to do an MCO day in August (their final one of the season that year). All season tires, stock shocks, nothing at all special. I was instantly hooked.

Did I instantly go out and drop 50k on a new car? No, I kept it sane and did 3 MCO days the following year. At the end of my 2nd season, I decided that since the 3 wasn't getting much non-track use, I sold it, sold the go fast bits, and bought karmaboy's miata. I actually made almost $1000 on the deal selling my rusty car for an immaculate old one, but that's not the point.

You can go at your own pace, on track and off. I've got 2 kids in a single income home currently. I go at my own pace. Would I like some sweet new coilovers? Absolutely, but it's not in the cards this year because we want to go somewhere warm this winter. Would I like more power? Sure, it would be nice, but I'm still not getting the most out of what I've got now. Until I'm no longer holding the car back, I'll just keep having fun, and getting out as often as I can.

Seriously, I think an 80 year old Spidey would kick your ass right now for hesitating on trying this. It costs $350 and a tank of gas. And if you can't have fun lapping a sunfire, there's something wrong with you. Any car is a blast.

Mario
September 10th, 2014, 07:45pm
Taylor, there must be some chumpcar events your way? find a ride, racing at it's most basic form. No school or experience required either.

... just balls

GoP-Demon
September 10th, 2014, 07:46pm
Wow that's so wrong and offensive. I use my desktop to masturbate to anime.

Blind
September 10th, 2014, 07:47pm
Lol

Mario
September 10th, 2014, 07:52pm
Don’t we all!?

pyxen
September 10th, 2014, 07:57pm
Lol.

Greg, keep doing what you're doing. I dont want to be lapping with inexperienced riders at all.

This

taylor192
September 10th, 2014, 07:59pm
That sounds awesome!

I think you need to push the education factor more. Maybe it'll get hold outs like Spidey to realize $350 makes you a far better driver, on and off the track. That's what finally got me out, and $350 seems cheap for the quality of instruction.

pyxen
September 10th, 2014, 08:04pm
Cost of vehicle...?

Get a 1300$ miata ?

Lol.

If i had that attitude last year i never would have tracked my elantra and gotten in with these fine gents. who cares what car it is?? i love what Rob says at the mco days - that no one cares what car you drove there in, only the car they're driving home in.. if you love it after trying it, smash the windows, rip out everything in it, put an intake on it because cool sound, and drive the piss out of it.

Regarding becoming a better driver, i don't think any amount of street experience or midnight runs would even come close to the experience you build at 7-8-9/10ths on the track... I know my car WAY better, and better yet, how it reacts on the road... Its not wasting money, its investing in your safety on thwarting street.

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 01:46am

Definitely keep doing what you're doing. It works.

Just to be clear, I have absolutely nothing against rank beginners. I was one not that long ago. It's just not safe for one to be the track with us - for us or for them. The MCO doesn't put beginners in the advanced group for a reason. They put them in the novice group, where it is safe for them to learn.

mphysk
September 11th, 2014, 08:06am
http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16617#p138194

Do this spidey, it's cheap and next week.

One
September 11th, 2014, 08:27am
http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16617#p138194

Do this spidey, it's cheap and next week.

Join us spidey, before its full

wing
September 11th, 2014, 08:58am
Yeah $150 so cheap. Or rent a Formula Mazda, pee your pants a little.

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 10:52am
Its not wasting money, its investing in your safety on thwarting street.

I had two occasions last year where I used the skills I've learned on the track to avoid a collision on the street. In one case I had almost no time to react and it would have been a very serious crash. Without thinking I hit the brakes hard to load up the front wheels, then used that extra grip to steer around the other car. Just like they train you. We ended up sitting diagonally across the intersection, suspension bouncing side to side... but not a scratch. My wife couldn't believe I avoided an accident, and actually said aloud that she was really glad I had been going to the track.

In the other case my car started to spin on ice when I braked to avoid someone who suddenly turned in front of me. I regained control and managed to thread the car through a narrow gap without hitting anything.

Honestly, I could not have done either of these things five years ago; but by now my reactions are almost instinctual.

If you have never taken HPDE, you really have no idea how to control your car. Once your wheels start sliding, you're done.

Slick
September 11th, 2014, 10:56am
My brother in law is like that too. My sisters home looks like a HGTV show

A good example of this happen Monday. My daughter starts giving me shit at dinner about an racing wheels invoice my wife found in my car. The next day, she’s getting a new puppy. Do you think I complained about it to her. She’s smart.

Meet Bella. She’s arriving Thursday evening.

Pretty much how I ended up with 3 cats.

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 11:00am
Anything more than 1 means your house smells like cat piss...

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 11:00am
Faster than a TDI, which I've run into a few times lapping.

Well. I didn't really run into them.

Doubt it. Sunfire Speed limiter is set at 165-170. I can practically hit that in 3rd gear.

In that sense, a Dodge Neon is faster than a Sunfire GT.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 11:01am
sounda like a lot of excuses.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 11:02am
No school or experience required either.

Then wtf is this thread about?

Where do I sign up for free rassin'?

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 11:04am

What speeds do people hit in production 4 bangers at Bogie? If the car wouldn't hit the limiter then it's not an excuse.. I just don't wanna go down a stretch WOT bouncing off the governor. lol.

Brrraaaapp _________ Brrrraaaaaappp _________ Brrrrrrraaaapppp _________

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 11:07am
I'm noob, but my max in s2k is 183....

tellum
September 11th, 2014, 11:07am
I only get up to about 180-190km/h.

wing
September 11th, 2014, 11:11am
Sunfire would hit like 170 max

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 11:12am
you'd probably be close to the limiter if you're right on it, but that's not what it's about. That's probably the first question everyone asks: "how fast did you get to go?!" I dunno, 200 maybe? sheer velocity isn't the point. If it were, I'd go find an airstrip (lols) . Controlling the car through the corners and that feeling when you 'get it right' is where it's at. And that can be at all kinds of different speeds in different cars, and equally fun.

I think that's what a lot of people who haven't been on track think of, and until they step into a car and see for themselves, they think:
1- everyone's crazy, and crazy fast, and I'm gonna be in their way (and uncomfortable)
2- everyone has an expensive race car and I'm going to be laughed at (and feel uncomfortable)
3- I'm going to crash (because I'm going to be GOING SO FAST, like on TV!)
4- nobody will want to help me/i don't know anyone there

It's hard to convince them it's nothing like that until they're there with the right group.

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 11:14am
That's probably the first question everyone asks: "how fast did you get to go?!" I dunno, 200 maybe? sheer velocity isn't the point.

EXACTLY.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 11:16am
i always hate answering that.

especially with bikes. It either sounds like I'm making it up, or I'm crazy, end either way I don't want to turn people off from trying it.

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 11:19am
For me they then tell me how they went 180 on the highway.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 11:21am
As for bikes, they're cheap until you hit your head and end up like Carey.

Really good looking?

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 11:22am
covered in bad tattoos

wait a minute

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 11:24am
i always hate answering that.

especially with bikes. It either sounds like I'm making it up, or I'm crazy, end either way I don't want to turn people off from trying it.

I say 160 sideways.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 11:26am
Living comic book

luker
September 11th, 2014, 11:28am
Doubt it. Sunfire Speed limiter is set at 165-170. I can practically hit that in 3rd gear.

According to internets, you need about 5300 RPM in 4th gear to hit 170. Your third gear will max out at 145 km/h on the stock 205/55R16 tires.

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 11:39am
Anything more than 1 means your house smells like cat piss...
One will do it

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 12:02pm
According to internets, you need about 5300 RPM in 4th gear to hit 170. Your third gear will max out at 145 km/h on the stock 205/55R16 tires.

That's why I said "practically" as in "almost". I've hit the speed limiter many times in 4th and I've hit the rev limiter many times in 3rd. lol.

condor888000
September 11th, 2014, 12:08pm
You'll get close, but I'd be very surprised if you hit it.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 12:13pm
It's not an excuse, but what mikeman says is deifnitely true. It's hard not to think:

1- everyone's crazy, and crazy fast, and I'm gonna be in their way (and uncomfortable)
2- everyone has an expensive race car and I'm going to be laughed at (and feel uncomfortable)

And I wasn't asking about top speed because I'd be "that" kind of driver. I lap enough on GT6 to know myself and I share this same train of thought: "Controlling the car through the corners and that feeling when you 'get it right' is where it's at.", but I also want a fun car that can be fun to get TO the next corner. And I would prefer lapping to racing. I have zero interest in racing.

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 12:19pm
is this 20 pages yet ?

condor888000
September 11th, 2014, 12:19pm
Awesome, then try the Sunfire. MCO would be perfect, lots of instructors and a solid novice group where you'd fit right in. If you like it you can look at budget and determine what you can do to make it work.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 12:21pm
^^ Yup, newbs who all feel the same.

Andre
September 11th, 2014, 12:28pm
Your Sunfire is perfect IMO, bounce it off the walls and life goes on. I come from the opposite side, Did the $350 BMW school and enjoyed it - afterwards I went to Shannonville ~3 times and Calabogie 5 or 6. It was cool, and fun, but wasn't really for me. All said and done I probably had $1200-$1500 into it. Not much $ to gain some experience, learn some driving tips, have some laughs and I guess you could say cross it off my list. Didn't stick for me but I certainly don't regret giving it a go.

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 12:43pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10690324_10152674061706070_2780943227605252708_n.j pg?oh=440216c811247c9d850aec410ba55065&oe=548A0378&__gda__=1419979212_81b9b26b98e29f1fd47f64a8a9f413a 0.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 12:50pm
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls8s0dEknm1qlq05h.gif

Mario
September 11th, 2014, 12:52pm
Pretty much how I ended up with 3 cats.

Lol. Today my family will have 2 dogs plus the 2 cats. At one point we had 3 dogs and 3 cats. My wife just loves taking care of pets. Walking and Training her dogs especially. We have an agility training track at home. They jump and go around stuff just to get the treat. They love it. You do have to clean the litter box everyday with cats.

Edit: Sorry for the interruption. Carry on please

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 01:09pm
It's not an excuse, but what mikeman says is deifnitely true. It's hard not to think:

And I wasn't asking about top speed because I'd be "that" kind of driver. I lap enough on GT6 to know myself and I share this same train of thought: "Controlling the car through the corners and that feeling when you 'get it right' is where it's at.", but I also want a fun car that can be fun to get TO the next corner. And I would prefer lapping to racing. I have zero interest in racing.

You know 1 isn't true 'cause you'll be in the beginner group and most won't get past 140kph in that group.
You know 2 isn't true 'cause you know what most of us drive
You know 3 isn't true 'cause you know your car's speed limiter and you're a beginner
You know 4 isn't true 'cause we're all here suffering through 8 pages of this

Bottom line: We've said it all (at least twice). You have a car. The event is coming. It's up to you now. If you are genuinely interested and ready to stop manufacturing reasons why you shouldn't try, then sign up and everyone will do their part to help you have a good time.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 01:15pm
then sign up and everyone will do their part to help you have a good time.

I can't sign up, this whole thread is about newbs getting kicked out cause thyy didn't spend the bucks on BMW/MCO l33t driving school of her Mother's Grace!

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 01:16pm
They mean sign up for the school MCO on sept 21st or Mortimer on sept 17.

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 01:17pm
You can't sign up for the MCO day on the 21st?

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 01:19pm
Sorry.. when you said Event I thought you meant the thing you do AFTER the schooling

Jon.0
September 11th, 2014, 01:20pm
I can't sign up, this whole thread is about newbs getting kicked out cause thyy didn't spend the bucks on BMW/MCO l33t driving school of her Mother's Grace!

This was about Greg's evening events. He wants a bachelors degree. MCO caters to rookies.

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 01:23pm
Maybe you think the schooling is a lot of classroom stuff? The schooling is almost the same as lapping. Just slower and someone is guiding you beside.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 01:41pm
yeah it's like someone you trust giving you the old dutch rudder instead of trying to go it alone right off the bat.
Sometimes it's good to have someone guide you.
It's all confusing at first, you're not sure how fast to go, there's all kinds of new feelings and sensations. Your ears are perked up in case you hear something break, or someone coming up behind you, that can make you a bit paranoid and takes away from the whole experience. Sometimes, when you first start, you get nervous and quit right before you get into the groove and really start having fun. Having someone there to lend a hand, indirectly, can really make the first time enjoyable, and something you're going to want to continue to do for the rest of your adult life.

wait, what the fuck are we talking about?

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 01:44pm
Sex

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 01:50pm
Which is something you'll get more of when you can say you track. Much more panty-wetting than, "I just set a new PB in GT6".

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 01:51pm
or masturbation

Scruffy
September 11th, 2014, 01:54pm
"I just set a new PB in GT6".
Works every time! #gottalove2amchicks

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 02:01pm
Which is something you'll get more of when you can say you track. Much more panty-wetting than, "I just set a new PB in GT6".

That actually works much better than "Honey, I'd buy you flowers, but the car needs a new set of tires."

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 02:03pm
Ah, the excuse generator has been started again.

I'd bet your wife hasn't seen flowers since your first date.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 02:04pm
Flowers? those things you buy after you make out with her friend at her birthday party?

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 02:05pm
dammit schmoo!

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 02:08pm
She's the one with the wallet, he needs to ask permission to buy flowers.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 02:11pm
I dont see it as excuses, Dan just doesnt seem interested enough to make the commitment. I just dont know why you're feeding this thread when people genuinely wanna help.

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 02:16pm
I dont see it as excuses, Dan just doesnt seem interested enough to make the commitment. I just dont know why you're feeding this thread when people genuinely wanna help.

QFT.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 02:21pm
I buy her flowers on a semi-regular basis.

And out of whining in this thread I actually learned a few things. First of which is I was confuising "get into the sport/hobby" with "signing up for track days".

I still think there should be a some sort of a "free for all" introductory event. Pay a fee, sign a waver and lap your heart out for an hour. I get that the potential for reckless dummies is too great, but it would work great for responsible adults curious about getting into it.

Jon.0
September 11th, 2014, 02:24pm
I still think there should be a some sort of a "free for all" introductory event. Pay a fee, sign a waver and lap your heart out for an hour. I get that the potential for reckless dummies is too great, but it would work great for responsible adults curious about getting into it.

No, it really, really, really wouldn't. Once you've been out on track, you'll appreciate why an instructor is key for a first timer.

Edit: I should clarify. Calabogie has many blind crests, tightening radius turns, and some short run-offs. Going that alone as a novice is a sure-fire way to crash your car. With an instructor to guide you through the 20 turns, you're golden.

condor888000
September 11th, 2014, 02:25pm
You would have 2 mins of green before idiot #1 does something dumb and takes themselves, and likely someone else, into the wall.

Wookie
September 11th, 2014, 02:26pm
Ya I haven't ever lapped, but even I can't get on board with that idea.

It's like the new guy at the drag strip who stages with his back tires.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 02:28pm
I'm talking about me here guys. I'm a naturally fucking awesome driver. I would make no mistakes.

Jon.0
September 11th, 2014, 02:29pm
You would have 2 mins of green before idiot #1 does something dumb and takes themselves, and likely someone else, into the wall.

2 minutes is a long time dude. First guy to hit temptation is going off. No doubt.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 02:29pm
responsible adults curious about getting into it.

If this was the case you'd sign up for the MCO day.

Its not a game.

condor888000
September 11th, 2014, 02:30pm
Would take 2 mins for them to hit temptation. But they'd be sure they're going FAST!

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 02:36pm

Bogie isn't the right place for that.

however, Ste eustache, every monday nite 25$ for 20 min. 0 experience required.
Any event at Shannonville, 0 experience required, $$ varies.
AutoX. 40$ go and they hold your hand all day.

wing
September 11th, 2014, 02:36pm
Actually most would probably hit the armco in 3

Jethro
September 11th, 2014, 02:39pm

"BRAKEBRAKEBRAKE".

Rainey94
September 11th, 2014, 02:39pm
Go for a motorcycle lapping day on the ninja....

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 02:40pm
however, Ste eustache, every monday nite 25$ for 20 min. 0 experience required.
Any event at Shannonville, 0 experience required, $$ varies.
AutoX. 40$ go and they hold your hand all day.

See... that's what I'm talking about. Do that..then MCO.. then 1morelap?

wing
September 11th, 2014, 02:40pm
You sign up yet?

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 02:41pm
I'm talking about me here guys. I'm a naturally fucking awesome driver. I would make no mistakes.
Gpwr took over spideys account.

Stop feeding the troll

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 02:41pm

Fuck.. and you think I was worried about showing up at a track with a Sunfire?

Bring the Ninja 250, go for a piss and come back to find some wiseass has put pink streamers on the handlebars. No thanks.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 02:49pm
I think you need to get over your personal issues first lol

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 02:51pm
Just say this bike is to crash. The 1000SSRRZZ is at home.

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 02:51pm
I think you need to get over your personal issues first lol
Lol. Jayzus...everyone is not out to tease you dan.

bunta
September 11th, 2014, 02:53pm
Integra chick thread

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 03:00pm

I'm sorry, that just flags your ignorance. With that attitude, I most definitely would NOT get on the track with you. That is exactly the shit that gets people in serious trouble. You don't even know what you don't know.

You gotta respect the track. This is not the 417.

Take an MCO day at Calabogie, and learn why I'm saying this. You will agree with me.

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 03:03pm
I think he was joking.

Is integra chick the same one as the one from the bodybuilding forums?

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 03:04pm
ya, he's just trolling Doug.

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 03:06pm
Sure, okay. And here I thought he was a raving lunatic.

Then again, that doesn't disqualify him.

Mario
September 11th, 2014, 03:20pm

Its a guarantee, that has soon has the beginner starts to go fast, he will run out of track and go off after only a couple of laps. I don’t care how good they think they are. They’ve never felt what it is to stop the momentum of a 3,000 lbs. car when its too late.

It think fear is the biggest factor in making that decision. For anybody. Will I try it or not? More than money for sure. Its a humbling & exhilarating experience the first time. Fuck, I’m still scared every time I go and for good reasons. Maybe that’s why I go back all the time. LOL

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 04:33pm
Yup. I'm always nervous the night before and before the first session.

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 04:34pm
Glad im not the only one...I will actually say little something something to the car gods (really I'm just talking to myself) to watch over me and my ride for the next 2 hours.

My wife also expects a call at 7:05.

Angry Chicken
September 11th, 2014, 05:03pm
It's good to be anxious, exhilarated, nervous.… all at the same time. If you think you've arrived, you'll arrive all right! Against a wall. Have to keep focused and your head on a swivel.

There, lesson over.

RandomHer0
September 11th, 2014, 05:27pm
Sitting in pit out with your leg shaking on the clutch waiting for the pace car to pull out....

Man...

GoP-Demon
September 11th, 2014, 05:30pm
oh... I thought I was the only one with a shaky leg on the clutch. I moved my seat up to ease it up a bit.

SpidermanGeek
September 11th, 2014, 05:35pm
Pfft... Pussies

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 05:35pm
Sitting in pit out with your leg shaking on the clutch waiting for the pace car to pull out....

Man...
Ha! I never got the shaky leg when lapping but everytime I line up at the drag strip I get it.

Slick
September 11th, 2014, 05:40pm
My wife also expects a call at 7:05.

Yup, here too. "I made it out alive again Honey!" is my usual response..

Its a guarantee, that has soon has the beginner starts to go fast, he will run out of track and go off after only a couple of laps.

Well. let's not strike fear in everyone that hasn't been on a track.
Not everyone is crazy aggressive behind the wheel when they start. There are tons of drivers that go out to a track day, that gradually explore the limits of the car and themselves, and don't drive off the track. These may seem like the minority, but they are not, we just don't talk about them because they fall under the radar. We talk about the crazy new kid who drove off the track.

wing
September 11th, 2014, 05:43pm
Use to shake, don't anymore maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.

schmoo
September 11th, 2014, 05:43pm
Slick is 100 percent right. The track is not inherently dangerous.

dbg
September 11th, 2014, 06:02pm
Not everyone is crazy aggressive behind the wheel when they start. There are tons of drivers that go out to a track day, that gradually explore the limits of the car and themselves, and don't drive off the track. These may seem like the minority, but they are not, we just don't talk about them because they fall under the radar. We talk about the crazy new kid who drove off the track.

Exactly right.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 06:03pm
crashing , or even going off course, doesn't have to be part of learning to go fast.

Mario
September 11th, 2014, 06:59pm
...Well. let's not strike fear in everyone that hasn't been on a track...

Totally agree with you Slick. Organized events, like the MCO, is the safest way to learn and rarely does anybody go off track, and if it happens, it’s usually with no serious consequences. Its super safe. My comment was in response to the ‘What if we could do an hour of unsupervised lapping with guys who know how to drive’. I was thinking about the GranTursimo kind of student. You know the best kind. Lol Really (BTW Shannonville offers that)

Yup. I'm always nervous the night before and before the first session.

I feel exactly the same has Schmoo. It’s kind of a ritual, I’m sure we all go through before a track day. Has an instructor, you always feel the nervessness of your student and its the instructor’s job to talk to him and walk him through the steps you are about to do, to calm him down. Hell, one time I had a big guy, 40 year old, in a big beautiful Corvette and he just couldn’t buckle his 5 point harness. His hands were shaking to much.

The feeling when I’m in pit lane, with all the other cars in the grid beside me and I’m all buckled up tight, ready to race, my body is in panic mode. Adrenaline is rushing, but my mind is super calm and focused. I guess that why they call it going into battle. Your body is in fear, but your brain is saying ‘Your going to do this. Its all going to be alright’. And when the battle is over, man the feeling you get form that pure rush of adrenaline is the best feeling in the world. Hell, its even 10 times better when you win. Fear creates this feeling.

Fear is a good thing on so many levels, we shouldn’t be afraid to talk about it, because most important, it keeps us safe.

taylor192
September 11th, 2014, 07:10pm
That actually requires some $$$ to get into. You need a 1-piece suit, or a 2 piece that zips together.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 08:02pm
I have some you can borrow.

taylor192
September 11th, 2014, 08:10pm
I have some you can borrow.
They might smell like farts after.

mikeman
September 11th, 2014, 08:28pm
Maybe they already do. And fear sweat.

Blind
September 11th, 2014, 10:46pm
More on these stage5potatoeseats though please.

1Morelap
September 11th, 2014, 10:51pm
More on these stage5potatoeseats though please.

page 4 to 11 in a day. BAM

pyxen
September 12th, 2014, 12:01am
What speeds do people hit in production 4 bangers at Bogie? If the car wouldn't hit the limiter then it's not an excuse.. I just don't wanna go down a stretch WOT bouncing off the governor. lol.

Brrraaaapp _________ Brrrraaaaaappp _________ Brrrrrrraaaapppp _________

160-170 in my elantra.. Just fucking do it.

karmaboy
September 12th, 2014, 07:26am
You should see the washrooms before the first race of a weekend.
15 min. before start...all the racers filling the stalls...fear shits.

You might put on a brave face...but the bowels will always give you away.

F'ing rookies are in there for an hour.

RandomHer0
September 12th, 2014, 08:12am
hahaha I always shit when I'm anxious or on drugs.

tellum
September 12th, 2014, 09:16am
I get the sensation of needing to pee, but don't actually need to pee. And then I piss my pants.

Half of this post is true.

1Morelap
September 12th, 2014, 09:20am
I remember getting the leg shakes in my first autox run. seat time. Now I fall asleep waiting in pregrid.

Honestly it's my favorite part of the day, no phones, no emails, silence, patiently waiting. #serenitynow

mikeman
September 12th, 2014, 09:51am
lol i remember getting clutch leg shakes.
worst nervous feeling was lining up on the motorcycle grid at shannonville for the first time. Not knowing what's happening. where i'm supposed to be.. or if we're really starting now.. like NOW? oh fuck. How's this machine operate again?

Casper
September 12th, 2014, 10:01am
hahaha I always shit when I'm anxious or on drugs.

:lol:

Scruffy
September 12th, 2014, 10:19am
I remember getting the leg shakes in my first autox run. seat time. Now I fall asleep waiting in pregrid.

I get'em after every first run of the day. If you don't get the shakes, you ain't pushin hard enough.

... In AutoX that is. Might not be the best advice for a trackday lol.

luker
September 12th, 2014, 03:42pm
I don't get nervous anymore. If I know the car is good to go, I start to get almost Zen like just before a session. One of the few times where I forget the whole world outside.

Neeko
September 13th, 2014, 11:03am

If that's all you're looking for, check out these events:
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/drive/mustang-experience/

I got the grab the dash as a gift one year and it was awesome. Normally they are supposed to have you follow an instructor in a pace car, but because I was the only person, they put an instructor in the car with me for the 45 minutes (me driving) and then 4 laps with him driving.

Even after the session, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable dealing with other cars on the track and will likely get into the schools at some point, but if you're just looking to get on the track and see if you have the bug...4 laps for 119$. Just don't put the mustang into the weeds as you'd be on the hook as there is no "insurance".