PDA

View Full Version : Chumpcartastrophe @ Mosport..with Video!

pyxen
October 16th, 2013, 09:14pm
Grabbed this off Oppo-lopnik. -- > Link (http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/chumpcar-crash-fasten-your-seat-belts-and-prepare-for-1446081143) < --

Good (?) crash at Mosport... A CRX is mentioned (say it aint #6-1-3), and the BMW in the video has a nice Perry performance sticker in the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-6lzfawS4

The comments on YouTube are entertaining.

sb_915
October 16th, 2013, 09:37pm
LOL comments are retarted.

If you panicked because brake lights came on, you're doing something wrong.

pyxen
October 16th, 2013, 09:48pm
Seems the driver lifted, which rotated the car and sent him into the grass (did I get it right??). I didn't really see what he was worried about, but the car in front could have been much closer than it appears.. Anyone know who it is ?

mightymousetech
October 16th, 2013, 10:10pm
Was not us.......

From the title, says AISA Wringers, they are another team running a CRX. Pretty scary video, know several people who have pulled that same maneuver, some of them hit the wall on the inside.

Looks like a lift throttle (never good to do in 2) oversteer. Lucky, could have been much worse. He should have just kept his right foot down and aimed for the new patch of pavement, lots of grip if he just held on a little longer.

Greg, is that the "Big Deal" team you are driving with?

condor888000
October 16th, 2013, 10:36pm
I believe that's actually the car that Carl and group built. If you good AISA Wringers you find posts by Carl on Montreal Racing (http://montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?812469-Official-Chumpcar-thread&p=9175441&viewfull=1#post9175441) talking about the incident.

Seems like they fixed it and used it for Sunday too.

daft_mx5
October 16th, 2013, 10:52pm
Totally lifted/panicked. Line was okay and steering input was normal. Ouch.

Mario
October 16th, 2013, 11:01pm
you see his right foot on the gas all the time. If he lifted, he didn’t lift much. Looks like he was steady and only when he lost it that he went for the brake..

raggedrabbit
October 17th, 2013, 12:06am
I didn't hear a lift. Looks like he wasn't too smooth with the wheel and it got away on him. I didn't see any brakes on the E30 either.

daft_mx5
October 17th, 2013, 08:11am
Yeah you guys are right just watched it again with sound and doesn't seem like he really lifted. So it just rotated?

1Morelap
October 17th, 2013, 08:20am
butt hurt much? racing is dangerous. He did it all by himself. I was with Buzz, Redgreen and Possum, At mosport they were listed as redgreenbuzz.

Not that I see brake lights in the vid, but even Clive and Glen said watch out for the brake checking among other tricks, it's racing, not gentlemen racing.

as for the vid, something is up with that car, look as it entered turn 1, his head moves, there's no bump there?

gchislett
October 17th, 2013, 08:29am
Also, why does the camera not rotate with the car when it flips? Camera position stays upright. Weird.

gchislett
October 17th, 2013, 08:31am
Also, why does the camera not rotate with the car when it flips? Camera position stays upright. Weird.

(Just re-watched. Looks like it got jarred loose.)

mightymousetech
October 17th, 2013, 08:43am
Car did not flip, just went very sideways, then the camera came off it's mount.

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 08:47am
God knows why a car gets loose sometimes when there no reason for it

yanrider
October 17th, 2013, 08:49am
as for the vid, something is up with that car, look as it entered turn 1, his head moves, there's no bump there?

ya you're right.. Seems to kind of clunk into position as he inputs to the right

doesn't look like he flipped, just hit the inside wall, drove on the two right side wheels for a bit then landed back on all fours.. Camera stayed sideways

we should tell them to try out gentlemen gt if they want more gentle racing!

karmaboy
October 17th, 2013, 09:03am
There's a small dip right there. In my car I need to wait for the car to settle after being a bit light before getting back to full throttle. Too soon and you lose the back end. Spun right the a lot before I figured it out.

mightymousetech
October 17th, 2013, 09:05am
There is a big dip at the exit of 1 on the outside.

yanrider
October 17th, 2013, 09:11am
Oh the exit of 1 I know of a dip, but don't remember on the entry? My big boat soaks it up?

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 09:14am
I only notice that the track was to narrow by about 6 inches at the bottom once. Bad design Lol

shlammed
October 17th, 2013, 09:16am
looks like he fucked up.

slow mo shows him turning left hard and then letting off.

regardless of the car infront of him, he shouldnt be grabbing it that hard to get into his line. if hes slowing down that much, dont take the line where your exit is a wall.

1Morelap
October 17th, 2013, 09:25am
there's a dip in the entry of 1?

mightymousetech
October 17th, 2013, 09:31am
there's a dip in the entry of 1?

Oh, no, not at the entry of 1. At the exit right by the turtles, and another much smaller one at the exit, middle of the track, at the end of the new patch. Was using that one all Sunday to try and get a little traction.

Although, just watched again, I don't really see the bump/head bob you are talking about?!?!?!?

daft_mx5
October 17th, 2013, 10:27am

Because not AWD with fancy computers?

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 10:29am
That could be it

mightymousetech
October 17th, 2013, 10:35am

There is always a reason, it is simple physics. :)

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 10:42am
Of course but sometimes trying to figure out what happened in that tenth of a second is challenging

figo
October 17th, 2013, 11:05am
you must feel what will happen before it does grasshopper

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 11:06am
Then it wouldn’t be called an accident, right

t
October 17th, 2013, 11:11am
maybe he got scared and barfed in his mouth?

that would distract me with a full-face helmet.

back seat drivers...

figo
October 17th, 2013, 11:13am
maybe he got scared and barfed in his mouth?

that would distract me with a full-face helmet.

back seat drivers...

didn't stop webber

figo
October 17th, 2013, 11:29am
Then it wouldn’t be called an accident, right

or a disturbance in the force?!?

mightymousetech
October 17th, 2013, 11:32am
Or like in the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Make the car intentionally start to slide in a manner you can control, instead of the car surprising you with an unpredictable slide.

Mario
October 17th, 2013, 11:37am
LOL to Yoda! Where’s that book about racing on dry when you need it

sb_915
October 17th, 2013, 12:02pm
yeah i know that driver - he's known to be fast, but aggressive and unstable.

He was the guy driving the Acura TL in the first (?) GT race this year. He goes off a lot.

mikeman
October 17th, 2013, 12:27pm
Or like in the book "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Make the car intentionally start to slide in a manner you can control, instead of the car surprising you with an unpredictable slide.

works for bikes too, until it doesn't.

raggedrabbit
October 17th, 2013, 06:08pm
He's correcting to get in line behind the BMW and the car never does settle there. He makes a correction immediately before it comes around. He knew there was stuff going on, just didn't figure it out.

luker
October 17th, 2013, 06:14pm
He's correcting to get in line behind the BMW and the car never does settle there. He makes a correction immediately before it comes around. He knew there was stuff going on, just didn't figure it out.

Yeah I've just watched it a again. And there is definitely some correction happening right before he starts to counter steer. I wonder if the car never really settled after cresting, he had steering input at the crest too.

dbg
October 17th, 2013, 08:39pm
One problem with cameras attached to the car is you really can't tell if the suspension is unsettled or what. From the point of view of the camera everything looks stable because it's moving with the car. Until it falls off...

raggedrabbit
October 17th, 2013, 09:46pm
He's over-driving through 1 as well; he pushes it into oversteer twice consecutively, you can hear/see it. Easy to imagine that with the bank in 2 and the offline entry, the front stuck and the back got loose instead.

Jethro
October 17th, 2013, 09:51pm
Feels like coaches corner in this thread.

Missing the cheesy suit.

raggedrabbit
October 18th, 2013, 12:42am
Missing the cheesy suit.

I'm in flannel pajamas. Satisfied?

Jethro
October 18th, 2013, 07:00am
I'm in flannel pajamas. Satisfied?

Whatever works for you Grapes.

yanrider
October 18th, 2013, 08:34am
its easy to criticize/analyse from the youtubes, but he might of been in that seat for a few hours already + faded car + greasy track + because racing/driving 10/10th