PDA

View Full Version : some science on blind spots?

1Morelap
September 9th, 2013, 09:36am
Steve never saw his black flags, or the checker, some drivers don't see us passing them..

is it something like this? or is this just crazy talk.

AKA tunnel vision, scary, how quickly this happens. Explains why so many drivers/riders claim they did not see the track marshal's flag.

Subject: Fw: Amazing--motion Induced blindness

Motion Induced Blindness (DRIVERS NOTE)
this is very interesting ..should be read by everyone. Check it out and do the test!

In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side, the speeding car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.
Well, they aren’t lying. They really don’t see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight.

This phenomenon on the car drivers’ part is known as “Motion Induced Blindness”. It is definitely frightening.

Once airborne, pilots are taught to alternate their gaze between scanning the horizon and scanning their instrument panel, and never to fix their gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. They are taught to continually keep their heads on a swivel and their eyes always moving. Because, if you fix your gaze on one object long enough while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind.

Till about three decades ago, this “heads on swivel & eyes moving” technique was the only way to spot other aircraft in the skies around. Now-a-days they have on-board radars, but the old technique still holds good.

Let me give you a small demonstration of motion induced blindness. Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random, either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there.

Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don’t go anywhere!

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

(http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html)(Notes given by the author below the rotating array are educative.)

So, if you are driving at a high speed on a highway and if you fix your gaze on the road straight ahead, you will not see a car, a scooter, a buggy, a bicycle, a buffalo or even a human being approaching from the side.

Now reverse the picture. If you are crossing a road on foot and you see a speeding car approaching, there’s a 90% chance that the driver isn’t seeing you, because his/her peripheral vision may be blind! And you may be in that blind zone!!

Pete
September 9th, 2013, 09:42am
Interesting.

For me, the top left yellow dot goes away after a couple seconds and the other 2 are always there. speed it up and the bottom one goes away sometimes, slow it down and all 3 are there.

tellum
September 9th, 2013, 09:45am
There's a show called 'Brain Games' that I just watched the other day. Explains the whole phenomenon.
http://braingames.nationalgeographic.com/

1Morelap
September 9th, 2013, 09:48am
http://braingames.nationalgeographic.com/episode/11/ this one?

mikeman
September 9th, 2013, 09:51am
CRAZY. watched all 3 yellow dots disappear.
My head is always on a pivot, scanning everything, to avoid this. Thanks Keith Code.

tellum
September 9th, 2013, 09:54am
http://braingames.nationalgeographic.com/episode/11/ this one?
I think so.

dbg
September 9th, 2013, 09:56am
I don't know about you guys, but my head and eyes are pivoting all over the place. If you don't see anyone wanting to pass it's because you're not checking your mirrors. If you're not seeing flags you're not looking for them.

Blind
September 9th, 2013, 09:56am
at our last bmw driving school, we had a whole class on this, it was really neat.

1Morelap
September 9th, 2013, 10:00am
I don't know about you guys, but my head and eyes are pivoting all over the place. If you don't see anyone wanting to pass it's because you're not checking your mirrors.

It's weird. I've seen the other drivers eyeballs in their mirror but they didn't see me. It's like they moved their head, but the brain still see's the road ahead.

mikeman
September 9th, 2013, 10:03am
Yep, I made eye contact with an old dude at an intersection i was approaching a few years ago, and thought his gaze was kinda dead looking - he obviously didn't see me - and then pulled out and I t-boned him. His brain missed a bright red civic even though he looked directly at me.

Wookie
September 9th, 2013, 10:07am
Emergency responders get something similar. I was doing my driver training this weekend to drive the fire trucks and the instructor expllained it - once those lights go on and your adrenaline is pumping, you lose perception of everything around you.

It's called Red Haze.

wing
September 9th, 2013, 10:11am
Wow that's really cool... and scary.

The right dot for me seems to stay mostly but the bottom and left drop out. Left drops more frequently and first, my left eye is weaker perhaps my left brain is too lol.

If you keep scanning they drop less for sure!

1Morelap
September 9th, 2013, 10:12am
they all go away for me, until I start scanning.

Grabber
September 9th, 2013, 10:14am
bottom one always is there.. top two take turns disapearing or dispear at the same time.. but if i move my eyes around they reappear

raggedrabbit
September 9th, 2013, 10:32am
Wow, if you really focus it doesn't take long for them to disappear. Flying Gliders they always say to scan the tip of the wing when doing the horizon to break focus.

On Saturday someone told me I'd missed a meatball and that it was called in three times... I watched my video and only saw one (the one I saw on the track). Meatball only at corner 15, no?

Blind
September 9th, 2013, 10:34am
meatball?

Grabber
September 9th, 2013, 10:38am

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 10:39am
flag with orange dot in the middle - means you have a mechanical and need to pit (either something is falling or about to fall off the car, or you're spewing fluid on the track)

Blind
September 9th, 2013, 10:42am
lol. thx sean.

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 10:49am
you're welcome NEIGHT.

EvilDeadFan
September 9th, 2013, 10:50am
I seem to be unaffected by this, then again I'm 3d blind.

1Morelap
September 9th, 2013, 10:50am
They did black flagging/etc at 3 stations no? ___? 15 and pit out?

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 10:51am
corner 4

dbg
September 9th, 2013, 10:53am
If I stare really intently at the green dot, I can get them to all disappear and stay that way for a while. But as soon as I blink they're all back again.

Blind
September 9th, 2013, 10:58am
you're welcome NEIGHT.

sean, shawn, shaun.

nate is nate. tell ur parents to stop fawkin around and pick an easy to spell name, FUCK!

:p

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 11:00am
sean, shawn, shaun.

nate is nate. tell ur parents to stop fawkin around and pick an easy to spell name, FUCK!

:p

Lol- I guess that little reminder below each and every one of my posts isn't enough ;)

Blind
September 9th, 2013, 11:03am
I don't see any sigs on tapatalk though.

GIVE ME A BREAK WILL YA?

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 11:06am
lol it's monday - i have find entertainment somewhere ;)

NoLimits Autoparts
September 9th, 2013, 12:19pm
If I stare really intently at the green dot, I can get them to all disappear and stay that way for a while. But as soon as I blink they're all back again.

Yep, me too

raggedrabbit
September 9th, 2013, 01:12pm
flag with orange dot in the middle - means you have a mechanical and need to pit (either something is falling or about to fall off the car, or you're spewing fluid on the track)

In my case, smoke and a little bit of flames :rolleyes:

I like to think I check all the marshall stations, I'll watch the vid again.

wing
September 9th, 2013, 01:29pm
Radio chatter was funny. Car looks like it is on fire. #(I forget number) Is it the Rabbit? Yes that's our Rabbit LOL

Mechs02
September 9th, 2013, 01:31pm
No. They were throwing it at Start/Finish Tower too. I watched them throw it once for you there.

Wow, if you really focus it doesn't take long for them to disappear. Flying Gliders they always say to scan the tip of the wing when doing the horizon to break focus.

On Saturday someone told me I'd missed a meatball and that it was called in three times... I watched my video and only saw one (the one I saw on the track). Meatball only at corner 15, no?

Mechs02
September 9th, 2013, 01:34pm
I focus and make all three disappear almost instantly. However, i find unless i try really hard i can't lock my eyes on anything, they are always moving slightly... so in that scenario, dots disappear, but then show up half a second later.

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 02:00pm
Steve never saw his black flags, or the checker, some drivers don't see us passing them..

is it something like this? or is this just crazy talk.

very cool/scary. Explains some of the driving we see out there.

dbg
September 9th, 2013, 03:23pm
Never had this problem before, but for some reason on Sunday I kept forgetting to look UP at the tower. Gee why is the guy in front slowing down and waving at the... oh, right, race over LOL.

Ian
September 9th, 2013, 03:52pm
I have to say that the tower at Calabogie is too high. Over the years I've heard numerous comments about it but never really experienced it myself. During the race Saturday, I can say that I did not see the checkered flag. I was clued in by the marshals waving, looked at my lap timer and noticed 15 laps done so I figured I must have missed it. So I can honestly see how someone can miss a flag there.

I usually try to glance directly at each marshal station (obviously I missed one on Saturday). The only ones that your eyes don't really scan past are station 9 (driver's left) and to a lesser extent station 16 (driver's left) which is a long ways away when you come around the corner although a yellow or red flag will jump out. These are also usually empty during lapping events so I probably miss them out of habit.

wing
September 9th, 2013, 04:19pm
I find I'm just not use to looking at that tower at calabogie because they don't use it in Lapping. But that said, it is tall, at iCar I had no issue seeing the tower at all although it was on the same side of the track as I was driving (IE driver's left and next corner a right). Where as on long track it's across the track.

sb_915
September 9th, 2013, 04:33pm
I don't understand - it's not that hard. You have a TON of time on the front straight. Come out of 20, line yourself up with the edge of the track, look up, check your gauges, keep going...

In fact, I find it not high enough. During the first lap, if you're not at the front of the pack, the car in front blocks your view of the tower so you don't actually see the green flag waving. This happened to me at Ted Powell and it's fine if you rely on your pit crew to call the green, but if you don't have a radio, it's a big disadvantage! (This is not really an issue in gentleman racing)

karmaboy
September 9th, 2013, 04:53pm
I find the tower is always backlit by the sun.
During TP...I could see a flag waving...just couldn't see the color.
Not so bad in the morning...but in the afternoon and evening...fugetaboutit

wing
September 9th, 2013, 05:37pm
Yes that is a big issue.