PDA

View Full Version : Full track at Mosport vs Calabogie...

I12XLR8
August 23rd, 2012, 10:34am
I've got an event coming up at Mosport on the full track and have only been to Calabogie once so forgive the rookie question...Mosport looks fast and less technical. Is that right? The maps show considerably less corners and faster longer straights. I ran my all seasons last time (and will again this coming Thursday) but figured that I will need new tires after that. I was going to get some track tires as I won't be buying anymore all seasons for the car but if Mosport is mainly a speed track I might be OK with what I've got.

Any thoughts?

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/thisismyspace2/Random%20Pics/Mosport-RC-track-elevation-map.gif

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/thisismyspace2/Random%20Pics/CalabogieMotorSportsTrackMap.png

yanrider
August 23rd, 2012, 10:40am
As long as your tires pass tech you really won't care about them. All that counts at Mosport is gasoline and ball juice quantity. Isn't there a few threads about this? Maybe someone can link?

Its supper fun more than CMP IMO

mikeman
August 23rd, 2012, 10:41am
just don't outdrive the tires?

mightymousetech
August 23rd, 2012, 11:01am
Mosport is much much faster.

daft_mx5
August 23rd, 2012, 11:06am
And turn 2 is for pussies.

I12XLR8
August 23rd, 2012, 11:11am
Mosport is much much faster.

Is this in general or just on the Andretti straight-away? Does anyone have a top speed reached on both tracks for comparison? Just curious.

mikeman
August 23rd, 2012, 11:11am
And turn 2 is for pussies.

:boink:

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2012, 11:12am
Is this in general or just on the Andretti straight-away? Does anyone have a top speed reached on both tracks for comparison? Just curious.

In general.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2012, 11:12am
I did Mosport on all seasons in the 07 Stang. No problems... lots of aural (TWSS) feedback. Tires were fooked when i got home though. I think they are for sale on my current stang at an unknown dealership lol

t
August 23rd, 2012, 11:13am
i hit about 190 at calabogie and hit over 200 at mosport (I am not super quick (TWSS)).

i will find the link that i started on this because i had the same questions

t

ici la

http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread.php?36211-First-Time-to-Mosport-this-saturday

mightymousetech
August 23rd, 2012, 11:38am
Mosport in the race car was pretty much only 4th and 5th gears, the entire track is fast, except for corner 5, down into 2nd for that one. Calabogie is 3rd and 4th gears.

Firewired
August 23rd, 2012, 12:38pm

yanrider
August 23rd, 2012, 01:55pm
But his question was regarding the use of all-seasons...Mesch02 got it. Thanks MR

mightymousetech
August 23rd, 2012, 02:09pm
His only actual question was:

Mosport looks fast and less technical. Is that right?

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2012, 02:13pm
Indeed, that is right.

mightymousetech
August 23rd, 2012, 02:14pm
Indeed, that is right.

/thread.

I12XLR8
August 23rd, 2012, 03:13pm
I did ask for any thoughts on running the all-seasons as well...I'll see how they behave on the 30th and go from there.

O a different note,I am officially scared of turn #2 now ;-(

mightymousetech
August 23rd, 2012, 03:29pm
How can you be scared of something you can't see till it's half over! :)

t
August 23rd, 2012, 03:34pm
Nice one!

t

I12XLR8
August 23rd, 2012, 09:19pm
You're not helping ;-)

yanrider
August 23rd, 2012, 10:57pm
Rhetorical question leading to THE question..

His only actual question was:
Note" "the rookie question"

I've got an event coming up at Mosport on the full track and have only been to Calabogie once so forgive the rookie question...
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/thisismyspace2/Random%20Pics/Mosport-RC-track-elevation-map.gif

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j419/thisismyspace2/Random%20Pics/CalabogieMotorSportsTrackMap.png

Aswell? Note: "the rookie question"

I did ask for any thoughts on running the all-seasons as well...I'll see how they behave on the 30th and go from there.

O a different note,I am officially scared of turn #2 now ;-(

Oh you silly silly gais

sb_915
August 24th, 2012, 02:32pm
Average speed around CMP: ~125km/h
Average speed around CTMP: ~150km/h

Top speed for me is roughly the same - about 210 at CMP, and 215 (gear limited) at CTMP.

your tires will take more of a beating at mosport because of the longer, higher-G corners.

But, you'll be fine.

JettaRacer
August 24th, 2012, 02:45pm
your tires will take more of a beating at mosport because of the longer, higher-G corners.

But, you'll be fine.

Oddly, for our racecar, I find that Mosport is easier on the tires. Though the Jetta only weighs around 2000lbs. It's the slow corners where one overdrives the tires that I find kills them faster.

I12XLR8
September 21st, 2012, 08:32pm
The Canadian Tire Motorsports Park day was incredible! I had a great instructor that never slowed me down and only offered corrections when necessary; a really nice old guy.

The car ran awesome and the only thing I'll want to have next time is better tires. I'm still running the tired old RS-A's at the track as they just don't want to wear out! However, as soon as I can get my hands on another pair of Conti tracks tires I'll retire the Eagles. I never once felt that the tires couldn't handle what I was demanding of them but I wasn't demanding very much in the corners.

By timing my videos my average was 1:48s (almost bang on for every lap where I wasn't being taught the line or caught up in traffic) and my top speed on the back was 221 although on most laps I would let off around 215 and coast a bit so I wouldn't come into 8 too hot.

I very quickly made friends with turn 2 and loved the way 4 plunges down then fires you up into 5a. This whole track is pure joy. Loved it.

As the event was put on by Castrol they had some track cars there and they were taking guys out for a very laps. Having heard so much about Sasha (he was on the track with the 370 but took people out for rides in the Hyundai) I went with him and was not disappointed! Not the fastest car I've been in but the way he threw it into the corners was very impressive. Reminded me of a scary ride I took in a Vette earlier this year ;-)

I have two videos (both shaky...this was my first time using the GoPro's and I need to find better mounting spots for them), one of just myself, and the other mainly of me sticking behind my buddies IS-F so he could have some camera time. His car is fast but after my cam he just couldn't keep up. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFD5_vsfMQ0&feature=share&list=ULMFD5_vsfMQ0

http://youtu.be/7-4abmqgesU

1Morelap
September 21st, 2012, 08:43pm
car sounds so good. nice driving :)

I12XLR8
September 21st, 2012, 08:49pm
car sounds so good. nice driving :)

Thanks, Greg. I learned from the best!

1Morelap
September 21st, 2012, 09:13pm
:fyea::like:

Mario
September 21st, 2012, 09:59pm
I enjoyed it! thanks for posting. I still have to try mosport. Good driving, looks fast

wing
September 21st, 2012, 10:13pm
Don't do it Mario, mosport eats STi engines. Unless you have baffles, then carry on

TTC
September 21st, 2012, 10:19pm
http://www.accusump.com/
Not rocketappliances

Mario
September 21st, 2012, 10:23pm
Don't do it Mario, mosport eats STi engines. Unless you have baffles, then carry on
Yeah thanks Wing. I know. I want now cause I have new bigger, pan, baffle and pick up. Now I’m interested

sb_915
September 22nd, 2012, 11:25pm
October 8th - ASE (AISA?) lapping day. Do it Mario! I'll be there too :)

I12XLR8
September 22nd, 2012, 11:30pm

Hhmmmm...deets?

1Morelap
September 22nd, 2012, 11:35pm
Carls group, great fun. That was my first event at Mosport, still remember it like yesterday.

http://www.perryautolaval.com/lappingeng.php

Chris916
September 23rd, 2012, 07:14am
Carl runs a great event. 2 Run groups, intermidiate and expert. No point by's makes for good fun too.

Mario
September 23rd, 2012, 04:11pm

Shawn, I’m so tempted. like Mont-Tremblant, it’s always been a dream of mine to drive at Mosport. I’ve tried so many track this summer but not this one cause everybody familiar with Subaru knows that an STI can’t go there, but since I had all this bad luck with my engine this summer, I now have a bigger oil pan, pickup and baffle, so guess I can.

Carl runs a great event. 2 Run groups, intermidiate and expert. No point by's makes for good fun too.

No point by, what does that mean. It’s like racing? who ever has the inside of a curve as priority?

I12XLR8
September 23rd, 2012, 06:30pm
Why can't STI's handle Mosport? Oil pick-up runs dry in the high G corners?

Mario
September 23rd, 2012, 07:09pm
Why can't STI's handle Mosport? Oil pick-up runs dry in the high G corners?
Yeah something like that, then boom from oil starvation. :-(
Stupid car design

yanrider
September 23rd, 2012, 09:16pm
Who runs a track day on thanks giving Monday!!??? Damn Jews!!!

sb_915
September 24th, 2012, 07:38am
Mario, no point means the guy in front doesn't have to give one. You still have passing zones, and the guy in front is expected to hold his line while the other guy makes the pass. The guy in front is still expected to lift when needed.

Srsly man, you'll love it... Come on!!!!

sb_915
September 24th, 2012, 07:39am
Who runs a track day on thanks giving Monday!!??? Damn Jews!!!

Haha the way I see it: do family stuff Saturday and Sunday, and then I don't have to take a vacation day to head to the track! Win win!

yanrider
September 24th, 2012, 02:27pm
Ya I hear ya that's smart! Actually I'd go but I'm working. Who works on Thanks Giving!!! IMMA JEW!!!!

Haha the way I see it: do family stuff Saturday and Sunday, and then I don't have to take a vacation day to head to the track! Win win!

Firewired
September 24th, 2012, 03:04pm
Just quit your job!!!! :D

msix
September 26th, 2012, 09:24am
Mario, no point means the guy in front doesn't have to give one. You still have passing zones, and the guy in front is expected to hold his line while the other guy makes the pass. The guy in front is still expected to lift when needed.

Srsly man, you'll love it... Come on!!!!

I dont know if this event provides instructors, but just a caution DO NOT drive Mosport for the first time without instructions ... this track is high speed and unforgiving!

I12XLR8
September 26th, 2012, 09:32am
I dont know if this event provides instructors, but just a caution DO NOT drive Mosport for the first time without instructions ... this track is high speed and unforgiving!

This is very true but you learn the track quickly. The bridges make excellent points of reference and as long as you're on the proper side of the crowns coming into 2 and 4 you do fine.

sb_915
September 26th, 2012, 09:54am
Klaus, I'm pretty sure that Carl does provide instructors - I remember seeing cars with triangles on the back. In any case, give Carl a call to confirm.

1Morelap
September 26th, 2012, 12:30pm
I'd vouch for you Mario. The Oct event is usually just follow the leader in the first run group. At least it was for me. Chuck vouched for me back then.
I was letting a lot of cars by until after lunch, then it evened out.

Mario
September 26th, 2012, 12:38pm
Thanks man Iím still thinking about it, my problem is more how do I bring this subject up with the wife! Yeah, Iím out of track points. Iím working on this....

sb_915
September 26th, 2012, 12:40pm
Advanced group runs first in the morning, so I also recommend you grab a ride-along with someone who knows the track to get your bearings. Watching videos help but they really don't do justice to the actual elevation changes on the track.

I'd be happy to give you a ride if you wanted....

gchislett
September 26th, 2012, 12:40pm
Give her a Spa weekend! PM for details. :lol:

mightymousetech
September 26th, 2012, 12:49pm
Advanced group runs first in the morning, so I also recommend you grab a ride-along with someone who knows the track to get your bearings. Watching videos help but they really don't do justice to the actual elevation changes on the track.

HA HA!! Corner 5. Who put the fucking wall in the middle of the track!!!!!!!

sb_915
September 26th, 2012, 12:52pm
Ski JUUUUUUMMMMMPPPPPPP!

yanrider
September 26th, 2012, 02:25pm
Say this to her " I'm only going to this event if I sell my NT05s by the end of the week". Seems like a sensible thing to say IMO

Thanks man I’m still thinking about it, my problem is more how do I bring this subject up with the wife! Yeah, I’m out of track points. I’m working on this....

Mario
September 26th, 2012, 03:37pm
Say this to her " I'm only going to this event if I sell my NT05s by the end of the week". Seems like a sensible thing to say IMO

That’s a fucking good one but I already told her I sold them this morning and I lied again, I added $200 not to get in trouble again. I’m working on a plan...

Mario
September 27th, 2012, 08:28pm
Well guys finally found the nerves to talk to my number 1 sponsor, my better half... Started like “hey babe, there’s this lapping event at Mosport Monday the 8 I didn’t know about (lie), you know during the long weekend... I wasn’t planning on doing any more lapping this year (lie), but I’ve always wanted try Mosport and its not that expensive, $200 (lie) and now that I have a bigger oil pan its safe for me to go there and lots of guys I know are are going (lie, I know Shawn)... and to my amazement, I was expecting and prepared for ‘THE look’, but instead I got a sweet look, even a feeling of sympathy!? WTF!

Turns out, she also had something big on her mind for a while too and she just didn’t know when it would be a good time to tell me about it! Ah! Turns out her parents, my in laws, are coming over for the long weekend and the best part, they will be staying with us this time!? Not at her brother’s place and she knows how much I love having her mother around to keep reminding me how much of a looser I am and that her daughter deserved so much more, blah, blah, blah... for 3 days, nothing less...

So she said, great, what a good idea. That way you don’t have to be around the whole weekend, you could even take a room, the day before... WTF!!!

No need to tell you I’ve already email the organizers that I want in. Hopefully they’ll take a new guy

wing
September 27th, 2012, 08:53pm
LOL Drama!

Mario
September 27th, 2012, 10:01pm
Ain’t that cool! Saved by the guilt the mother in laws brings with her... I don’t know if that translated well in English

Firewired
September 28th, 2012, 01:42am
Pas la belle mŤyre pour le long week-end au complet!?!?! Sa c du sport!

t
September 28th, 2012, 07:05am
Well guys finally found the nerves to talk to my number 1 sponsor, my better half... Started like “hey babe, there’s this lapping event at Mosport Monday the 8 I didn’t know about (lie), you know during the long weekend... I wasn’t planning on doing any more lapping this year (lie), but I’ve always wanted try Mosport and its not that expensive, $200 (lie) and now that I have a bigger oil pan its safe for me to go there and lots of guys I know are are going (lie, I know Shawn)... and to my amazement, I was expecting and prepared for ‘THE look’, but instead I got a sweet look, even a feeling of sympathy!? WTF!

Turns out, she also had something big on her mind for a while too and she just didn’t know when it would be a good time to tell me about it! Ah! Turns out her parents, my in laws, are coming over for the long weekend and the best part, they will be staying with us this time!? Not at her brother’s place and she knows how much I love having her mother around to keep reminding me how much of a looser I am and that her daughter deserved so much more, blah, blah, blah... for 3 days, nothing less...

So she said, great, what a good idea. That way you don’t have to be around the whole weekend, you could even take a room, the day before... WTF!!!

No need to tell you I’ve already email the organizers that I want in. Hopefully they’ll take a new guy

hilarious!!

i have had the same conversation with my wife 3x so far this year.

t

yanrider
September 28th, 2012, 07:27am
W - Will (to do cool shit)
I - Impeeding
F - For
E - Evar!!!

I just made that up lol. I'm lucky I guess or our wedding is maybe still too fresh to tell however; I wouldn't understand...

RandomHer0
September 28th, 2012, 07:57am
she knows how much I love having her mother around to keep reminding me how much of a looser I am and that her daughter deserved so much more, blah, blah, blah... for 3 days, nothing less...

:pound: have fun!

Mario
September 28th, 2012, 08:26am
Yeah, I’ll get a day an a half of constant nagging from the mother in law, stuff like, that must be expensive your race car thing. Now that’s just stupid, don’t you know you have two kids. You could put that money towards better things. How much is that weekend going to cost you? It doesn’t make any sense... on an on, reminding me how stupid I am and have the father in law follow every step I take, smoking is cigar

My wife’s been great throughout out the summer though. See, she’s even sending me to the track instead of seeing me taking all that shit for 3 days

wing
September 28th, 2012, 09:44am
Do people put up with that shiet? Seriously, my house, my money, STFU or leave.

93GTCANADA
September 28th, 2012, 09:51am
exactly. told my wife's sister more then once not happy gtfo.

Mario
September 28th, 2012, 10:03am
Yeah tried that 10 years ago, “its either your mother or me”... That didn’t go well

sb_915
September 28th, 2012, 10:06am
LOL drama aside, see you at the track Mario :)

awndray
September 28th, 2012, 10:09am
exactly. told my wife's sister more then once not happy gtfo.
Yet, you can't get your wife to buy real Jos Louis?

sb_915
September 28th, 2012, 10:11am
What I told Carl to vouch for Mario:

Yeah I've been on the track with Mario a few times - he's a good safe driver, and has more cameras on his car than the paparazzi following Kate Middleton (and he'll make good movies of all the cars around him)

Mario
September 28th, 2012, 10:23am
Cool, I’m in!! Thanks Shawn buddy, yeah fuck the drama I’m going to Mosport

Chris916
September 28th, 2012, 12:27pm
Hahaha this is priceless! Thank god I'm not at that stage in my life yet. See you there!

Mario
September 28th, 2012, 12:49pm
Don't laugh to hard Chris. You'll be there soon enough too. Lol

t
September 28th, 2012, 01:13pm
Man are you going to love it.

Fast bunch too!

T

Mario
September 28th, 2012, 05:31pm
So you say t... < see i used a small cap but you didn’t? Humm, (confused)

yeah I see that sticker at every track event I do. Perry auto.

condor888000
September 28th, 2012, 06:58pm
Hahaha this is priceless! Thank god I'm not at that stage in my life yet. See you there!

Says the guy who got strong armed to go to a horse show this summer.

karmaboy
September 28th, 2012, 09:17pm
FYI...not sure if its the full moon or something...but CTMP is eating up racecars like mad today. Every session red flagged. They had to call in a back-up ambulance.

1Morelap
September 28th, 2012, 11:03pm
and buzzkilled.

sb_915
September 29th, 2012, 01:43pm
and buzzkilled.

1Morelap
October 9th, 2012, 10:01am
saw a 911 with a tire trailer on the 401 sunday evening, heading west, loved that!

Then Mario a few minutes later ( i think ) and a NSX, some bimmers... had to assume they were all headed to the same place.

so...??? details fellas.

sb_915
October 9th, 2012, 10:09am
An awesome day! Shaved a few more seconds - got into the 1:35s, and I think i was even faster than that in my last sessions but the GoPro died so there's no evidence :(

It was hard to get a clean lap in though as there was LOTS of traffic (and carnage).

Finally had a decent set of contis - ran the pressures low (~30 hot) and they felt AWESOME. It was cold, but sunny, and the track had a surprising amount of grip.

What made it for me was that Andrea came in the car with me for two whole sessions - she normally gets scared during an autoX run. I had the chatterbox hooked up (FINALLY got it working), and I think that helped a lot.

By the end of the day, the contis were dead - I was getting tons of understeer, but on the upside, I stopped braking for 1, and started talking 2 in 5th :)

gchislett
October 9th, 2012, 10:31am
there was LOTS of traffic (and carnage).

Details of Carnage?

t
October 9th, 2012, 10:40am
Details of Carnage?

sicko

t

gchislett
October 9th, 2012, 10:42am
:rapture:

sb_915
October 9th, 2012, 10:47am
lol

1. an e36 had a control arm failure midway through corner 1 - luckily was able to stop in the gravel trap, but the fender was destroyed.

2. integra spun right in front of me and tapped the wall just after corner 9

3. another integra (i think) race car blew a motor at the bottom of 2 and parked it on the outside of 3

4. two BMWs had some contact - and e90 M3 and an e30 on the straight between 1 and 2

5. a corolla lost it coming out of 1 and backed into the inside wall (at pit exit), then spun and smacked the front end at the same place - that one was rough.

6. I corded a tire on my trailer (LOL) so I had to change it at the track ;)

gchislett
October 9th, 2012, 10:49am
No blown STI motors though? good stuff...

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 11:24am
Man serious 1:35s, that’s fast!

Mosport is a ‘CRAAAAZZZZY TRACK’. Here’s my story. It’s 9 am. I’m in Shawn’s car. First time ever on that track. Its 3 degrees Celsius out, the track is frozen, we are on some street tires, I’m strapped in the seat, I’m a tall guy so my helmet is banging on the roll bars, the chatter box is not working, I can’t hear a thing of what Shawn is saying cause that car is way to loud. It stings oil BTW (you could use a little Pine Three thing Shawn. Lol. <Joke) but what you need to know at this point of the story is that Shawn’s fun level at 9:00 am is like my fun level at 3:00 in the afternoon! I mean has soon has we finish our first warm up lap at low speeds, he just when for it!

So here I am, all strapped in, eyes wide open, I’m trying to take it all in. Trying to remember. My head is banging against the roll bars as we come up on the front straight for the first time, you can see that Shawn is already in pursuit mode, then comes turn #1, a pretty big downhill but the track is full of bumps, full of patches, WTF!! I mean has we approach the apex and I take a look at the rumble strip, it looks like a chunk of concrete would come flying out if we hit it that fucking thing but we don’t! Ok! And did I say it feels very slippery to me. Hard tires, frozen track...

Anyway Shawn guns it out of the apex as we come up to a small but blind hill... TURN #2. Oh my God!! Has Shawn barely touches the brakes, the curves suddenly appears, he’s back on throttle, my eyes are wide open, you can’t see were that curve is going. We’re gaining a lot of speed and I’m thinking to myself, man we should have brought skies!! And also, “is that were he came off, beginning of this year?”,... Lol Then I see an orange cone, that must be the apex, then suddenly I can see the whole bottom of the curve and man, there’s another one of those stupid patches right in the middle of the track!?! And in a split second we hit the fucking patch! What is that? Concrete! Tires are squealing he’s full throttle, we’re out, thank god and it goes on and on like that for the full lap at race speeds. What a CRAAZZY MOTHER FUCKING ROLLER COASTER TRACK that is!!

It feels very old school like Shannonville. Narrow, old surface and its so fucking bumpy!! I mean the Mario Andretti straight is bumpy as hell!! Its so fucking tough on gas too. I mean you are full throttle most of the time and that straight uphill just eats gas like you wouldn’t believe. I could only do 2 1/2, half hour session with a full tank of gas. I never spent so much money on gas before and it’s the first track were they sell gas right at the track, no wonder why!

Anyway I’m glad I did try it this year, its one of the top tracks we have around here for sure. It’s easy to learn too, compare to Bogie or Mont Tremblant which are a lot more technical. But by 11:00 am I was lapping in the 1:42 already. Around 4:00 pm I did my best time of he day, 1:41:30. At 4:30 for the last lapping session of the day, I think I was one of the only car still on the track, so I thought 1:40 here I come, but no. I tried everything. Smooth as hell, no. Crazy aggressive, no. A combination of both, no. So what the hell, that’ll be for next time but I loved it. My car’s big weakness at Mosport is its lack of HP on the top end.

My fastest time was 205 km/h but was averaging more like 198 km/h at the end of the straight. My overall average speed for a lap is in the 140 km/h.

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 11:39am
No blown STI motors though? good stuff...

No thanks for asking Geoff but I went through so much oil! I’ve put back about 2 litres and a half of oil!! I mean the rear of the car was full of it!. The GoPro on the rear was full of it too.

karmaboy
October 9th, 2012, 11:51am
Now that you've memorized the bumps/holes...they are repaving this week.
Should be a whole new experience next year.
Not sure what the result will be...but I count on a lot of those bumps to help turn the car and that concrete for traction (see sig photo...thats T10)

sb_915
October 9th, 2012, 11:53am
Can't wait to see the video Mario - glad you enjoyed yourself :)

I burned more gas than ever too - about 100L!

daft_mx5
October 9th, 2012, 12:01pm
No thanks for asking Geoff but I went through so much oil! Iíve put back about 2 litres and a half of oil!! I mean the rear of the car was full of it!. The GoPro on the rear was full of it too.

You lost 2.5 litres of oil in one day? That ain't right.

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 12:06pm
You are fast as hell Shawn! thanks for the ride, I really enjoyed it but to be honest, I’m never scared in a race car, but what you did that morning, on a frozen track on some whatever tires, I have to say I was unsure of your abilities for the first couple of laps in that crazy roller coaster. Lol By half session I was more relaxed Lol. Great driving buddy!

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 12:07pm
You lost 2.5 litres of oil in one day? That ain't right.
Yeah I know. Any idea why? I’ll have Warren check out the Crawford A/O separator. Its obviously not working.

t
October 9th, 2012, 12:51pm
i learned the very hard way.

ck your oil after every session, not at days end!

glad you had an awesome time.

t

gchislett
October 9th, 2012, 12:54pm
Because.... Mosport.

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 01:16pm
I now always check my oil level every lapping session. When things go wrong with an engine, it usually goes wrong very fast

yanrider
October 9th, 2012, 02:32pm
Wow right on guys!! I'm jealous!!!

Repaving!!! Whole track??? OMFG!!!!!

1Morelap
October 9th, 2012, 02:34pm
Finally had a decent set of contis

lol, classic. Nice job on the 35's.

and Great write up Mario. :) you see why I'd rather spend money there than Tremblanters.

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 03:46pm
I don't know Greg. My favorite track is still Tremblant cause its both Mosport and Bogie. Its crazy scary roller coaster and technical. My second is Bogie and now third Mosport. You gotta try it. The Viper group goes there and I think Carl too. Btw it's a lot of fun no point by. Guys are super gentlemen because of it. Never did I get held up behind somebody. It's great on the straight cause everybody floors it and we are side by side. Great fun

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 07:46pm
I did not make any effort to take picture but here are the one I took. Shows how much of a cold day it was.

tellum
October 9th, 2012, 08:14pm

Can't quite tell... is that a Viper?

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 08:53pm
Yeah. A first generation I think. Very heavily modified. The Viper club was there that day. Those pics are a small sample.

Here’s a very scary moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AuDy5vfmZQ

tellum
October 9th, 2012, 08:56pm
Sarcasm > Mario

daft_mx5
October 9th, 2012, 08:57pm
Lol

1Morelap
October 9th, 2012, 09:00pm
wow, once you got wide you did everything right, good job.

Mario
October 9th, 2012, 09:51pm
Scary shit at turn two for sure guys!!

I’m going through my clips and here’s one strange thing.

Here are almost two identical laps in terms of speed. Both in 1:41 but the first one (1:41;55), I’m chasing the Yellow Nissan 300zx and it looks so much faster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqF8nGEbLWE

Compare to this one (1:41;30) where I seem much slower and looks like I’m holding back cause I have a slower car in front, but yet I’m .25 seconds faster in the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNCREmhp50

Where the hell did I gained that speed?!

JettaRacer
October 9th, 2012, 11:52pm
Nice laps. Though it makes me giggle a bit when I turn 1m41s laps with 135whp in my VW Jetta.

the fastest Lap wasn't too bad. Looks like you can setup wider left for 5b and get a better exit. It almost looked like you apexed very late and were mid track rather than driver's left. C10 you definitely early apexed as you ran up the curbing. I would say you could have been tighter for the first apex of c2, but then that's a personal preference thing. C8 you also looked a little early. It often is hard to tell from the video.

To be fast at Mosport, it is all about your speeds in to C4 and C8. You can lose a tonne of time in those two corners if you either don't roll your speed in to the corner or brake too much (C8) If you find yourself back on the gas any time before the middle of C8 then you slowed down too much. Get a G2X or other such data box, and you'll find your speed very quickly. It puts together your data and finds your fastest sectors and 'ideal' lap based on each session. Then you can compare each corner and sector and see where you are losing your time. Really a tenth here or there is easy to lose at Mosport and it all adds up at the end of the lap.

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 08:05am
Thanks JettaRacer! Its greatly appreciated. So..

turn 4, I just didn’t know how to approach the entry, go tight on the right but it seemed I could position the car better if I entered in the middle of the track and stayed in the middle till going to the apex at the bottom.

Turn 5a, everybody or most would go wide on the left to create a smooth curve to exit 5b. I did a straight double apex, which was super fast on entry but seemed I lacked Torque on 3rd coming out of 5b. Next time I’ll try something different for sure. Just felt faster and more natural to me the double apex. The guy with me on their bumper certainly felt the pressure and always quickly gave me right of way coming out

Turn 8 is all about how late are you willing to brake and how fast do you want to enter that curve. I didn’t take any chances with that curve, for some reason I did not trust it. So I would brake hard, somewhat late, after the Cdn Tire sign, but would trail brake too much after, get in the middle and only when I had my apex orange cone lined up would I get back on throttle hard. Takes guts that corner. Felt like ‘what are you willing to risk here?’

And yes I jumped on the rumble strip on 10 that time but have done that only 2 time during the day. Whatever I did wrong was because I carried to much speed and yes missed the apex by a foot and there you go going out.

Question for you, how much did your Jetta weight?

mightymousetech
October 10th, 2012, 08:41am
Scary shit at turn two for sure guys!!

I’m going through my clips and here’s one strange thing.

Here are almost two identical laps in terms of speed. Both in 1:41 but the first one (1:41;55), I’m chasing the Yellow Nissan 300zx and it looks so much faster...

Compare to this one (1:41;30) where I seem much slower and looks like I’m holding back cause I have a slower car in front, but yet I’m .25 seconds faster in the end

Where the hell did I gained that speed?!

The easiest place to find time there is down the back straight. If you can get a draft there, makes a huge difference in lap times.

sb_915
October 10th, 2012, 08:51am
^This is VERY true.

I'm always amazed how much quicker I run out of gear on the back straight when I draft someone. It makes a HUGE difference.

t
October 10th, 2012, 09:06am
this is awesome.

i love this stuff!!

thanx mario for stirring the pot.

t

Aero
October 10th, 2012, 09:18am
What an amazing day on an amazing track. I went there with a lot of respect for it, and left with even more. ASE is a great group to be on track with; point-free passing is nice when everyone is on the same page and aware of their surroundings.

I managed a 1:38.6 in the last session with Shawn on my arse, but low 39's were abundant. I know the car could do mid to low 37's, but it sure was nice to drive it home. :smile:

http://youtu.be/EwOqxBRK0QM

JettaRacer
October 10th, 2012, 09:20am
Thanks JettaRacer! Its greatly appreciated. So..

turn 4, I just didnít know how to approach the entry, go tight on the right but it seemed I could position the car better if I entered in the middle of the track and stayed in the middle till going to the apex at the bottom. í

C4, mid track entry for sure if you are by yourself. The track is off camber if you enter the corner too far to the right and just feels scary if you do that. C4 looked pretty good. C4 is all about balls, it is quite fast.

Turn 5a, everybody or most would go wide on the left to create a smooth curve to exit 5b. I did a straight double apex, which was super fast on entry but seemed I lacked Torque on 3rd coming out of 5b. Next time Iíll try something different for sure. Just felt faster and more natural to me the double apex.í

I think if you can straighten out 5b more then you will be able to get on the power better an exit faster. You can certainly position your car a little more to the left in the middle of the hairpin. I find that a lot of guys don't take the apex at 5a. I like the line better taking 5a tight, then out wide. But definitely the fastest way down the straight is to be able to get on the throttle as early as possible coming out of 5b. When looking at the data between my laps and my co driver, Luc, we get similar lap times, but with very different driving styles. Luc is hot in to the corner later and harder on the brakes and often scrubs a lot of speed off in the corner and sometimes slower on exit. I'm the other way around. I roll off the throttle earlier, brake longer and lighter, often slower in to the corner, roll my my speed to the apex on the throttle earlier. It results often in slightly higher speeds at the end of the straights which is definitely quicker. It has to do with me driving a momentum car for so many years when we drove the BMW together out lap times were much closer as I have to learn to adjust my corner entry when driving cars that require a bit more braking.

Turn 8 is all about how late are you willing to brake and how fast do you want to enter that curve. I didnít take any chances with that curve, for some reason I did not trust it. So I would brake hard, somewhat late, after the Cdn Tire sign, but would trail brake too much after, get in the middle and only when I had my apex orange cone lined up would I get back on throttle hard. Takes guts that corner. Felt like Ďwhat are you willing to risk here?í

C8 now has paved runoff. It is not as scary now with the runoff room. Also there is tonnes of room outside C9 now as well. Never had an issue with carrying too much speed in to 8. I think you could take your entry a little later and wider, but just a touch.

Question for you, how much did your Jetta weight?

Hah. Lol. 1950# with a tank of fuel. ;)

mightymousetech
October 10th, 2012, 09:20am
I managed a 1:38.6 in the last session with Shawn on my arse, but low 39's were abundant. I know the car could do mid to low 37's, but it sure was nice to drive it home. :smile:

Pretty fast, almost as fast as the Civic was, in the 37's. :)

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 09:50am
^This is VERY true.

I'm always amazed how much quicker I run out of gear on the back straight when I draft someone. It makes a HUGE difference.

What your maximum speed at Mosport Shawn?

sb_915
October 10th, 2012, 12:45pm
Here's a video of my fastest laps:

http://youtu.be/3Z-CM5NstVU

My top speed is gear-limited at about 215 km/h. You can hear that I bounce off the rev limiter in 5th at the end of the back straight. I need a taller diff!

I'll have another video coming in a couple of hours which will essentially be a highlights reel.

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 12:50pm
What an amazing day on an amazing track. I went there with a lot of respect for it, and left with even more. ASE is a great group to be on track with; point-free passing is nice when everyone is on the same page and aware of their surroundings.

Nice driving Aero! What car do you drive? What’s your top speed? and do you think that grey STI you passed on the straight was full on throttle cause that’s a Lachute car.

C4, mid track entry for sure if you are by yourself. The track is off camber if you enter the corner too far to the right and just feels scary if you do that.

Tell me about it I tried every possible entry on C4 and I when once too wide and hit debris or something. Very scary! The car did not slide but became extremely loose and I almost ran out of track. That was my scariest moment, I mean sliding on pavement you can catch but when your on marbles... bad things happen fast

C5 seem very tricky. So many way to enter and exit. I like the way Aero is doing it. Takes the early apex at 5a like me but does a longer curve and apex 5b earlier. The trick for me is find the speed so I have torque on my 3rd gear out or try to carry more momentum out.

Its nice to know for C8 about the run off area. I’m afraid of losing the rear of the car more then run out of track there, I don’t know why

And I really would like to know about your Maximum speeds guys. Anyone. Thanks

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 01:00pm
Here's a video of my fastest laps:

My top speed is gear-limited at about 215 km/h. You can hear that I bounce off the rev limiter in 5th at the end of the back straight. I need a taller diff!

I'll have another video coming in a couple of hours which will essentially be a highlights reel.

Thanks Man! (Shawn buddy, I told you about the spot meter on the GoPro, turn it ON!! Lol)

JettaRacer
October 10th, 2012, 01:00pm
Top speed in my Jetta, capable of doing 1m41s laps is only 185kph.

mightymousetech
October 10th, 2012, 01:02pm
And I really would like to know about your Maximum speeds guys. Anyone. Thanks

No idea. Was getting near redline in 5th though.

sb_915
October 10th, 2012, 01:11pm
LOL Mario - that is with the spot meter on :( I think i need to mount my camera more forward - I think the contrast inside the car is throwing it off..

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 01:13pm
No idea. Was getting near redline in 5th though.

If your using a lap timer it should tell you.

Right now I blame my time on low HP for a car that weights 3,600 with me a full tank of gas Lol

1,950lbs race cars don’t count, way too light, its off the chart Lol

I think my car could go in 39 or even 38 !? With a better driver Lol

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 01:17pm
LOL Mario - that is with the spot meter on :( I think i need to mount my camera more forward - I think the contrast inside the car is throwing it off..

Really!!? Still is a good show as always and yes if you could mount it closer but I would double check the spot meter thing cause something is not working properly and I see what you mean by using other peoples draft, but silly me I would’ve consider that rude behaviour before knowing what you were doing Lol

mightymousetech
October 10th, 2012, 01:21pm
If your using a lap timer it should tell you.

Was a regional racer. No in car timing allowed..............

Aero
October 10th, 2012, 01:28pm
Nice driving Aero! What car do you drive? Whatís your top speed? and do you think that grey STI you passed on the straight was full on throttle cause thatís a Lachute car.

Thanks Mario! I drive the white e36; I was pitted with Shawn and Chris. It should be about 200 rwhp, and 2700 lb or so. My top speed was a hair under 200 km/hr, but my speedometer reads faster than the car is moving so I figure about 185/190 km/hr top speed.

That STI was much faster than me in the straights on other occasions; he was definitely on a cool down lap. I believe he actually passes me early in the video.

T5 is fun, just launch the car up the ramp and hope you're pointed towards the concrete patches on the other side!

Mario
October 10th, 2012, 01:31pm
Thanks Mario! I drive the white e36; I was pitted with Shawn and Chris. It should be about 200 rwhp, and 2700 lb or so. My top speed was a hair under 200 km/hr, but my speedometer reads faster than the car is moving so I figure about 185/190 km/hr top speed.

That STI was much faster than me in the straights on other occasions; he was definitely on a cool down lap. I believe he actually passes me early in the video.

T5 is fun, just launch the car up the ramp and hope you're pointed towards the concrete patches on the other side!

Ah! It all makes sense now. Thanks man

JettaRacer
October 10th, 2012, 01:54pm
Was a regional racer. No in car timing allowed..............

thankfully for some classes that may come to an end next year. The rules are changing and looks like some classes will go to a HP:Weight rule. So we may be able to finally peel the tape off our on board dashboards from our data acquisition systems.

sb_915
October 10th, 2012, 05:23pm
Highlights video live!

http://forums.midnightruns.com/showthread.php?32571-The-monster-(bmw-e36-hoor-track-car-build)&p=510837&viewfull=1#post510837

luker
October 10th, 2012, 05:45pm
1,950lbs race cars donít count, way too light, its off the chart Lol

The Jetta only has 145whp though and the aerodynamics of a barn.

wing
October 10th, 2012, 06:32pm
Thats a ton of hp, Didn't know the jetta was putting down that much!

FYI b spec mazda2 was not running 1:45 with 100hp