PDA

View Full Version : GT1 Corvette Test Drive

Mechs02
June 16th, 2012, 07:54pm
So today i got an awesome opportunity to drive a GT1 Corvette full blow race car at bogie. So excited! Get in the car, jump on track with the regular lapping day crew on the last session of the day. Green group none-the-less. Anywho, get to corner 3, black flag... wtf? as i get around the track, ok everyone is coming in.. fuck did on only get two corners in this car before the session was over??! I come in to hot pits, they are lining us up to go out again. I clutch in... engine stops... wtf? meh, big cam, engine wasn't warm. Hit the start button... almost dead battery.. hahah, ok must not be the corvette's or my day. The crew comes out... "nono man, put it in third, we'll bump start you". OK! here we go. takes some gas to keep 'er going once she's started. Waved on from pit out... ok dont stall dont stall. gas, peel out... apparently i just missed the pit out wall with my fish tail... eeeeeh. Anyway, get driving, and holy crap thing thing sticks like no other car i have ever driven before... up rocky road, just touch the gas im at 230... nice,... lets take it easy until i got the feel of this. come up over big rock, road shows up start to gas up heading for temptation, then squeak squeak squeak, BANG... motherfucker, that's a LOT of flames coming out the hood! and over the windshield... time to get the fuck off the road!!!! pull over, flames seem to be subdued... finger on the fire supression system. Fire guys come over.. OPEN THE HOOD OPEN THE HOOD!... fuck guys i cant the hood latches are outside... and why the fuck wont my drivers door open!??!? k were still on fire... ok fuck that... dukes of hazarded that shit right out the window.... Track shut dow for the day, oil on the track between 7 and 8... apparently the car was a fireball from behind... marshal was like holy fuck guys!! oh yeah, i lit the grass on fire under the car... that was fun... Then someone delivered me a connecting rod, a pin, a bunch of pieces of the block... then the owner came out to the site... heeeeeyyyyy budddy.... i think you need an oil change....eeeeeh. So that was my day :)

wing
June 16th, 2012, 07:59pm
LOL wtf? Awesome opportunity Shitty outcome

Jethro
June 16th, 2012, 08:03pm
Holy shit...glad you're ok.

daft_mx5
June 16th, 2012, 08:04pm
Wut? Crazy. Glad you're ok Matt!

1Morelap
June 16th, 2012, 08:16pm
Wut? Crazy. Glad you're ok Matt!

wowzers. cool and scary at the same time.

GT-squared
June 16th, 2012, 08:21pm
Does it have a rev limiter? Hope they don't try to pin it on you.

Mechs02
June 16th, 2012, 08:30pm
Not worried about that part. All the engine pasrts have been collected and are being sent to the engine builder for analysis. Motor only had 500km on it... Literally brand new.

Pete
June 16th, 2012, 08:46pm
Whoa... talk about a "special experience" :lol:

Glad you are ok!

Mario
June 16th, 2012, 11:10pm
I Googled GT! Corvette. This is what I got.

JettaRacer
June 16th, 2012, 11:16pm
Close, but I'd bet it wasn't ALMS/24 Le Mans spec like that photo. Likely something more like this, similar to the SCCA TransAM Corvettes

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2457/3552208957_88ea5e48ba_z.jpg

Mechs02
June 17th, 2012, 07:50am
Correct, a lot more like the SCCA vette.

The one I drove managed a 2:06 around bogie... Not on my lap obviously...

Mario
June 17th, 2012, 08:25am
Man what a car! What a story! I mean shit goes wrong at the track all the time but this is something else.

2 point zero fucking six!!! 230 on the straight! I want one...

RandomHer0
June 17th, 2012, 08:58am
lol wow Matt - cool story indeed.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab (http://www.BerryBlab.com)

Neeko
June 17th, 2012, 09:05am
I was actually at the track when this happened. Glad you're ok! Saw them bump start you then shortly after, saw the cloud of smoke through the trees. After you got back, I wanted to introduce myself, but I figured you were a little shook up (understandably).

Was my first time on the track ever...Glen took me out; man that guy can drive. Great instructor too. My wife got me the quick fix Mustang Experience. I was drivin like a granny, but I want to learn the right way rather than be all over the place trying to go faster.

The zorb-all strip leading into 7 started back at the number 3 braking marker.

yanrider
June 17th, 2012, 10:27am
Wow cool shitty story!

Sounds a little familiar...

Soundman
June 17th, 2012, 10:54am
Quit hurting corvettes Matt!!! Lol JK Glad you're ok. Fun times.

Mechs02
June 17th, 2012, 11:31am
Aww you should have come over. Actually i was not shook up at all, i was just more like uhhh holy crap dude... sorry about your car.... like what do you say?

Glad you started the right way... learn the lines at a comfortable pace first, speed is a byproduct of being accurate and consistent... my guess is the bug is planted and you'll be back :D

Yeah the oil/zorb-all it was as far back as the eye can see from the accident site. so i had no idea how far it went. It funny how much ground you travel in such a short period of time...

knowing that i was going to take it relatively easily, this was the one day i didn't wear my fire suit inside a race car... wont do that again....

I was actually at the track when this happened. Glad you're ok! Saw them bump start you then shortly after, saw the cloud of smoke through the trees. After you got back, I wanted to introduce myself, but I figured you were a little shook up (understandably).

Was my first time on the track ever...Glen took me out; man that guy can drive. Great instructor too. My wife got me the quick fix Mustang Experience. I was drivin like a granny, but I want to learn the right way rather than be all over the place trying to go faster.

The zorb-all strip leading into 7 started back at the number 3 braking marker.

Mechs02
June 17th, 2012, 11:34am
2:06... yup, the experts tell me the :05 is attainable... oh and this was before the full race motor went in... so i can just imagine now (well once the new new race motor goes in).

and the 230 n the straight was without even trying... i came out of three just playing.. nice and slow and on cold tires, then i squeezed it on through the gas, my god, the head up display was like watching a tach, or a videogame... seriously insane, wish i had more time in that car... well more non-engulfed in flames time... i was happy to get out when i did :)

Man what a car! What a story! I mean shit goes wrong at the track all the time but this is something else.

2 point zero fucking six!!! 230 on the straight! I want one...

Mechs02
June 17th, 2012, 11:35am
It's not that i hurt them, so much as find their issues :D
Quit hurting corvettes Matt!!! Lol JK Glad you're ok. Fun times.

awndray
June 17th, 2012, 11:39am
Whoa, cool story!

Why did the fire dudes tell you to open the hood? I've always been told that's the last thing to do. Where did these guys get their training?

Mechs02
June 17th, 2012, 11:44am
I thought the same thing... but maybe because they were there with suppression equipment then can extinguish right away at the source?

awndray
June 17th, 2012, 12:30pm
Ah, true. Makes sense. I would think they'd want the driver out first, but at least you were ready with your finger on the in-car system.

t
June 18th, 2012, 05:49am
guy,

great story.

spooky ending.

glad you are okay.

t

yanrider
June 18th, 2012, 07:52am
Probably a vented bonet anyways...

Whoa, cool story!

Why did the fire dudes tell you to open the hood? I've always been told that's the last thing to do. Where did these guys get their training?

mikeman
June 18th, 2012, 09:06am
whoa.... that's crazy !

Mechs02
June 18th, 2012, 10:23am
you got it.

Probably a vented bonet anyways...

mphysk
June 18th, 2012, 11:36am
Wowzers. That sounds amazing and terrifying at the same time