PDA

View Full Version : Mosport Oct 10th

sb_915
October 5th, 2011, 03:55pm
Carl from Perry Performance is hosting a day at Mosport with the ASE lapping club next monday.

Anyone going down?

http://www.perryautolaval.com/lappingeng.php

1Morelap
October 5th, 2011, 11:13pm
in MTL because friends wedding.

Have fun dude, Carls event was my first Mosport day, had a blast. Passing rules where anywhere but the apex lol.
Made for an intense morning in the damp, by lunch time I was holding my own.

have you been before? If not, what's the the prediction on lap time? I'm guessing 1;36 easily on streets.

Gamz
October 6th, 2011, 08:49am
Hmmmmm

RandomHer0
October 6th, 2011, 08:53am
Gamz go, its insane.

Can't make it, family in town and stuff.

sb_915
October 6th, 2011, 11:29am
Never been, will be running the contis.... NO idea what my times will be, but it will be awesome to compare after with what Arek & Eric run in their 8Legs cars :)

Gamz you better come! A few of us are going down Sunday night and staying at a buddy's (Greg in the black vette) in Peterborough. I'm sure he won't mind an extra.

DO IT! Plus we can talke dodgeball strategy ;)

shlammed
October 6th, 2011, 01:40pm
$350 for the day?

Gamz
October 6th, 2011, 01:56pm
Gamz go, its insane.

Can't make it, family in town and stuff.

Never been, will be running the contis.... NO idea what my times will be, but it will be awesome to compare after with what Arek & Eric run in their 8Legs cars :)

Gamz you better come! A few of us are going down Sunday night and staying at a buddy's (Greg in the black vette) in Peterborough. I'm sure he won't mind an extra.

DO IT! Plus we can talke dodgeball strategy ;)

I'm going to check with The Boss. We'll be in Belleville on Sunday anyway at the in-laws, and if I can convince her to stay another night and drive down on Monday morning, then I can finally check out Mosport. We'll be halfway there, so...... plus she can chill with her folks and I can pick her up on the way back.

sb_915
October 6th, 2011, 03:35pm
SICK

and yes, $350 for the day. Give Carl a call tomorrow to confirm

sb_915
October 11th, 2011, 12:19pm
Soooo

Mosport = awesome.

Not sure what my best lap was yet (still have to review video)....

Some good stories to follow as well :)

mphysk
October 11th, 2011, 04:23pm
beat carl?

sb_915
October 11th, 2011, 04:41pm
never got a chance to go head to head, but Chris was observing while we were in the same session, and apparently he didn't seem to be gaining on me :)

Gamz
October 12th, 2011, 08:50am
Man I wish I could have made it, the weather was awesome!

sb_915
October 12th, 2011, 09:44am
it was really awesome!

My brother Chris decided to come with me, so we took his truck - he had just installed 20" wheels & 33" tires on his truck + a dual exhaust. It looked/sounded sweet.

We were heading down Sunday night to crash at a buddy's in Peterborough. He picked me up in Brockville since I was at my girfriend's family dinner. Well we get to Napanee and he's getting low on gas so we decide to stop at the Flying J. Chris downshifts on the off-ramp just to hear the exhaust, and then hits to brakes only to have the pedal hit the floor!

Luckily we were slowed down enough, and managed to make it in the truck stop. we get under the truck to find out his properly installed new exhaust had melted the flex line that went into the T for both rear brakes.

I phone up my sister & girlfriend, and they were willing to meet us there with my truck.... they are awesome. We tell them to hang on a bit and we'd try and fix it first.

The initial plan was to try and pinch it off, but we couldn't because it had melted right at the connector.

I'm going through my tool box and find an extra clutch slave cylinder for my BMW with a clutch line attached. I figure, what are the odds that it fits? Well sure enough, the line threads on!!! so we grab a set of vise-grips, fold the line in half and pinch it shut, electrical tape it all together & zip-tie it to the frame. I go buy some brake fluid, pump up the system, and we get pressure!!!!

We're careful since we only have front brakes, but he makes it to Peterborough, and then to Mosport monday morning.

Mosport was awesome - Carl put me in the intermediate group to start off with since i'd never been on the track. So I hop in a 517whp STi for the first advanced session to get a feel for the track. The car was insane! We were heading up the back straight almost to the end, and then all we hear is BOOM and the winshield get covered in coolant. the dude figures he popped a coolant line and we limp off track, pop the hood, find a 3" hole in the block :(.

So my morning was awesome - car was running weird still, but I "ignored it." If i reset the ecu before each session, it would run ok... very strange. Anyways, it survived the day with no major incidents. After lunch i was moved to the advanced group where I was much more at home. My top speed was around 215kph on the back straight, and my fastest lap time (which i did several times during the day) was a 1:38 on the contis. They were pretty much dead at the end of the day and i corded my front left tire pretty bad on the last session.

It was a bit slower than I would have hoped, but It was absolutely awesome day, and a great way to end the season.

Here's a vid of my fastest lap - I'm going to make a highlights video too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKh1TBuJEWk

BTW - Carl hosts AWESOME events. No point-by passing is epic... it makes it feel like racing:)

RandomHer0
October 12th, 2011, 09:48am
Man...Mosport is the STI eater.

Cools story bro, glad it all turned out better than expected. That 1:38 is awesome for a first time IMO, its not really a technical track, but takes lots of balls.

wing
October 12th, 2011, 09:56am
Wow, yeah STI's die consistently at Mosport. Funny thing is first time I was there was for the new STI launch and we beat on them for hours on the track LOL I was expected explosions but none.

yanrider
October 12th, 2011, 09:58am
Fucken A mate! Love MIR

RandomHer0
October 12th, 2011, 10:21am
Fucken stoked for the Frank E day now LOL

sb_915
October 12th, 2011, 10:49am
After my first session out, I was shaking - it was so awesome... feels like the car was built for that track.

I have had zero instruction at Mosport, and never even got a chance to check out youtube videos ahead of time. Feel free to comment on/criticize my lines - i'm looking for suggestions & ways to improve.

wing
October 12th, 2011, 10:58am
I'm no expert, but closer to the wall in 1, closer to the grass on the inside of 2 and it looks like you turn in too early for 5a

But that said you still probably faster than me LOL

sb_915
October 12th, 2011, 11:11am
yeah 1 was tricky - There's a rumble strip that's a few feet off the wall, i tried to stick to that, but if you miss the turn in point by even half a foot, it felt like there was no grip.

2 - i had no idea what to do LOL... I tried a few different things and once drifted sideways down the hill :shocked:

5a - agreed - everyone seemed to be turning in a bit later. I started taking this line in the morning when I would catch up to people so i would have a better exit at 5b, and then i got stuck in it.

Thanks wing :)

Mechs02
October 12th, 2011, 11:24am
The way i was taught turn 2 for a rear wheel drive car (and from a Guy who raced bimmers) was to actually make it a single apex. At the top of the hill stay about 1/3rd from the right of the track, hold out a little later, pinch in at that second apex of yours, maybe a lil earlier (gotta feel it out in your car) then open her up and watch that slip angle take you all the way to that outside shoulder... phenomenal feeling. TURN 2 FTW!!!Love it. Entering 5a would save you some scrub while setting up for 5b. 5a is kind of sacrificialm i.e.you dont gain much time from doing that corner any faster, but if its entered right, you can slow down less and still late apex 5b and come out like a rocket.

gchislett
October 12th, 2011, 11:39am
Wow, yeah STI's die consistently at Mosport. Funny thing is first time I was there was for the new STI launch and we beat on them for hours on the track LOL I was expected explosions but none.

Put them on sticky tires, and.... wait for it..... boom!

It would have been funny to blow one up on the launch of the car though! lol.

daft_mx5
October 12th, 2011, 11:42am

And if they don't blow up...they crash.

gchislett
October 12th, 2011, 11:45am
? Who crashed an STI at Mosport?

joe_herz
October 12th, 2011, 12:02pm
Damn, awesome vid.

RandomHer0
October 12th, 2011, 12:03pm
? Who crashed an STI at Mosport?

I think he meant in general not just at Mosport.

wing
October 12th, 2011, 12:22pm

Ah yes, I suppose being on the stock tires saved them.

gchislett
October 12th, 2011, 12:50pm
/\ yeah, sadly.

shlammed
October 12th, 2011, 05:18pm
what makes the spontaneously blow up?

(besides 5xx hp)

Jethro
October 12th, 2011, 05:21pm
The trackwerks guys said something about sustained g-forces
And oil starvation. Need baffles etc.

RandomHer0
October 12th, 2011, 05:27pm
Yup.

gchislett
October 12th, 2011, 05:35pm
Yup! All the oil sloshes to one side, and the pickup takes all the oil from the bottom of the pan. At high rpm, it's picking up close to a liter per second, so, in a 4-5 second sustained 1-G corner, there's no oil left. High rpm and no oil = boom.

sb_915
October 12th, 2011, 05:45pm
Sustained G-forces is right.

At the end of the day, my neck was super sore. I'm still feeling it a bit today... Crazy how much harder this track is on your body than CMP... And on gas - I burnt 115L of gas in 3hours on the track!

I was getting roughly 27L/100km LOL

1Morelap
October 12th, 2011, 06:18pm
Sustained G-forces is right.

At the end of the day, my neck was super sore. I'm still feeling it a bit today... Crazy how much harder this track is on your body than CMP... And on gas - I burnt 115L of gas in 3hours on the track!

lol, luv it.

Robin2
October 12th, 2011, 07:22pm
yup.... this is why most sti owners changed from 4.5L oil pan to 6 or 8L oil pan.

t
October 12th, 2011, 10:19pm
- I burnt 115L of gas in 3hours on the track!

Now that is funny!

Good thing it is just money...right?

t

Firewired
October 12th, 2011, 10:57pm
it was really awesome!

BTW - Carl hosts AWESOME events. No point-by passing is epic... it makes it feel like racing:)

Yes! I really liked that at St-Moustache. Seems like it would be dangerous but it works.

Nice drivin' !

Fucken stoked for the Frank E day now LOL

zzzakly what I had in mind watching Shawn's vid... what a awesome event and track. This is my favorite track around.

sb_915
October 13th, 2011, 10:11am
^ Thanks guys :) I can't wait to go back next year with some aero

moar deets on Frank E day.... ?!?

RandomHer0
October 13th, 2011, 10:22am
Nothing yet, he usually send a pre-pay email in December I think.

However; I've heard Mosport is going under the knife too, I dont know if that affects anything.