PDA

View Full Version : My (Harrys) 2:28 - Now with DATA!

RandomHer0
August 22nd, 2011, 09:41pm
I'm pretty proud of myself, I know there's faster dudes and I think I'll get there but I'm still surprised I did it considering the odds where kinda against us for setting good times.

If Calabogie gets too hot, it gets greasy, it was 30+ degrees that day as those who where there are aware, my brakes were smoking at times.

For tire pressure reference, the last time I ran at bogie with the NT-01's I ran them 32PSI hot, all around. I drove home like that, and then back again on the 19th, in the first session they hit 36PSI hot, and I had made no changes. It was just a hot day. So I dropped to 32 again...

I've been running 2:29 since last year and at the end of the day, I thew on Harrys with Adam in the car and just went to work, expecting my usual 2:33 on a hot day.

Taking a look at the video after the fact, theres still alot on the table I think.

You can see those XP10's pulling Adam out of the seat LOL

http://vimeo.com/28035119

Firewired
August 22nd, 2011, 10:00pm
:like: Well done !

My XP8s where smoking too. Pedal always stayed solid tho.

CRXZC
August 22nd, 2011, 10:01pm
Nice!

RandomHer0
August 22nd, 2011, 10:09pm
:like: Well done !

My XP8s where smoking too. Pedal always stayed solid tho.

Ya Im going to go XP10 in the rear too once the HP+ are done, the fronts are overpowering the rear and the car gets wiggy under heaving breaking.

wing
August 22nd, 2011, 10:10pm
Good stuff man!

EricVII
August 22nd, 2011, 11:12pm
no heel and toe braking?

yanrider
August 23rd, 2011, 08:24am
Nt01 ftw!

Gamz
August 23rd, 2011, 09:01am
Fuck yeah!

What are you using for a lap timer?

clean sanchez
August 23rd, 2011, 09:07am
good job dude! what kind of whp is your setup putting down now? It seems like such smooth roll-on power for a TT setup! Also all your work on suspension really seems to hide your cars weight - very little plowing evident. + nice smooth lines and driving inputs :fyea:

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 09:22am
no heel and toe braking?

No, Im not confident enough with it at those speeds, I can doit but I need more time and practice, Im used to driving the car like that so much now I know how it will react when Im stabbing the gas and brakes.

Fuck yeah!

What are you using for a lap timer?

Harrys Brah.

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

good job dude! what kind of whp is your setup putting down now? It seems like such smooth roll-on power for a TT setup! Also all your work on suspension really seems to hide your cars weight - very little plowing evident. + nice smooth lines and driving inputs :fyea:

Thanks Ben, I havent changed boost or added power for a few years now, the last dyno I did I put down 379WHP, I try to roll into throttle (count 1-2-3) and the twins aren't peaky so boost will come in around 3K.

You're right about weight, the car doesnt look like a 3400# pig in those videos they way its handling and being tossed around.

The car has been so rock solid, she doesnt owe me anything anymore, I dunno how many days I've done but I still knock on wood she keeps going. Oil changes/Brakes/Tires for the last 2 years.

Gojira
August 23rd, 2011, 09:47am
Rock solid build, your car. Count your blessings. All that's left is to add lightness, which is relatively painless. :)

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 09:51am
Yeah I'm at the point now where if I start to lose some weight the car will be a rocket (not that it isn't already).

Prolly gunna ditch the other seat this winter.

Gamz
August 23rd, 2011, 09:59am
Harrys Brah.

Y U NO HAVE ANDROID!?

I downloaded an Android app called RaceAce which is supposed to be decent. Tracks your cornering G's and friction circle as well, but haven't tried it yet. It was free, although there's TrackMaster as well for ~$10 that is reviewed well, but I haven't purchased it.

If anyone knows a better Android track app, let us know :)

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 04:19pm
Carey, I'm no expert, but I'd say you got a 2:25-26 on a good day on that setup with the NT01. Specially if you can brake later for temptation and Sir John A. If you get some comp rubber (on know you hate the Contis) like Hoosiers or Kumhos and you could easily drop sub 2:25. IMO the dif between a V710 and NT01 is probably close to 2 seconds per lap.

I ran with wrong pressures which was dumb on that last event. Hot temps on the front left was 28.5lbs and right was 24lbs. Yah Dumb. ...had no pump to adjust so whatevs. The car plowed like a bitch getting out of temptation and on that left before the spoon. ...And I blew out something in the front end (left)... probably wheel bearing. Car rattles like a shopping car at high speed. (i've seen this before with Getty in the car... lol) And the car was still running hot. So that's my cue to take it easy. Adjust my shit and comeback ready to kill next season.

I hope to get 2:24 solid next year, I just have not figured out my angle to get there. Maybe figuring out the spoon like Greg did would bring me there. Or taking a bigger shit before a the session... lol.

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 04:22pm
I like spoon.

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 04:24pm
I like following you through the spoon. Mental.

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 04:27pm
Remember Carl from Autox Seb. He was there Friday during the day in his evo10 with street tires. He was asking me what a good time is around the track, I start naming off numbers n names he would know, You, Klaus, James, the CMP mustangs etc etc.. he asks, so my 2:21 is good then? lol ya, good job. I think his tires were the hankook rs3's. fast tire. fast driver.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 04:27pm
Thanks Seb, the times will come with more seat time, like I said that night, I dont see how I can make up more time, but after watching that video, I can see it.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 04:33pm
One of the best vids for me to figure out lost time was watching someone following me.... watching my car from Greg's cam on the first GT race really helped me analyze my lap...

That, and actually looking at my data... G's and speeds in corners, plotted again radius of curvature, and finding little secret banks in the asphalt to find hidden speed... but that just comes from seat time and experimentation...

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 04:34pm
Someone follow me god damnit.

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 04:35pm
Remember Carl from Autox Seb. He was there Friday during the day in his evo10 with street tires. He was asking me what a good time is around the track, I start naming off numbers n names he would know, You, Klaus, James, the CMP mustangs etc etc.. he asks, so my 2:21 is good then? lol ya, good job. I think his tires were the hankook rs3's. fast tire. fast driver.

I did see him. He asked me if I was going to take a beer with him.

Wow eh 2:21. Doesn't surprise me from Carl. Evo10. That thing is begging to come out of corners. BTF.

RS3 is the new Nt01.

Full thread cawlice.

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 04:38pm
Someone follow me god damnit.

I think I did, I should go find my camera.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 04:40pm
Its in the case still.

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 04:41pm
Thanks Seb, the times will come with more seat time, like I said that night, I dont see how I can make up more time, but after watching that video, I can see it.

Yah man. You can always find time.

Last time I figured out a better line to corner 14 (Hook).

I stopped going all the way out to the right, and I tried to pre-angle my car in the braking zone,... coming out was so much more satisfying. Didn't feel like I was wasting time waiting for the angle so much anymore.

tellum
August 23rd, 2011, 04:50pm
What speed were you guys doing coming out of temptation? I feel like there's so much time left on the track there.

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 04:54pm
Depends where I guess.

If the question is how much do we slow down for temptation? According to my Harry's I go from 170km/h hang on the inside while braking and my lowest speed is 80-85km/h at the 'transition', then bang accelerate.

tellum
August 23rd, 2011, 05:02pm
I think the key is the slow entry. I'm doing 95ish by the time I'm getting back on the gas on the way out. Hard to say if coming in a little slower would line me up better... I'm using the full width of the track on my way out.
Phil and I were able to find a decent line coming in. Staying sort of in the middle for the first apex and then going tight left flowing all the way right. Seemed to work, but something tells me we can be a lot quicker through there.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 05:09pm
I do the wide line through Temptation, i slow down to ~82kph just where the GT Track meets the full track, then i pinch in and im on the gas and speed up to about 120kph by the crest of 9a. I come in wide into temptation, braking hard in the straight from about 175 to 100, between the end of my braking zone and my turn in/pinch point mentioned above, i bleed off the extra 20kph, this gives me as much speed as i can handle through the corner without having to brake to get to ~82 to get my turn without scrubbing. Bleeding that extra 20kph also translates into a bit of yaw (rotation) allowing me to keep more forward vehicle speed without trading it off for front scrub by turning the front wheels.

Jethro
August 23rd, 2011, 05:13pm
I like spoon.

My instructor from en track had me WOT all the way down the inside of spoon, then breathe out of the throttle a hair, and turn in for 4 left. No brakes. When I got it rIght I felt happy and terrified at the same time. he also said if you don't commit in spoon you're gonna go off track.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 05:22pm
I am also a fan of the spoon... great shot of me from greg's car in GT race #1...rear end lets go at ~150 - look where you want to go, don't lift, and ride that shit out... can barely even tell anything happened other than two 100 yard strips of rubber left on the track...

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 05:52pm
So we talk about data, I took the time to export my 2 timed runs, that evening a 2:30 and a 2:28 + an overlay.

2:30 - Link for Full Size: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/230.png
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/230.png

2:28 - Link for Full Size: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/228.png
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/228.png

Overlay - Link for Full Size: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/overlay.png
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/RandomHer0/Harrys Data/228.png

You can pretty much see that my speeds were higher in the faster run. Check out spoon on the 2:30 I tap the brakes, in the 2:28, no brakes.

Interesting stuff.

daft_mx5
August 23rd, 2011, 05:56pm
I think the key is the slow entry. I'm doing 95ish by the time I'm getting back on the gas on the way out. Hard to say if coming in a little slower would line me up better... I'm using the full width of the track on my way out.
Phil and I were able to find a decent line coming in. Staying sort of in the middle for the first apex and then going tight left flowing all the way right. Seemed to work, but something tells me we can be a lot quicker through there.

Yeah picked up like 5km/h with that line. Constant 85/86 around before hitting the gas.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 05:59pm
Hmm Ill see if i can get some kind of an output like this from mine... not sure.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 06:03pm
Yeah picked up like 5km/h with that line. Constant 85/86 around before hitting the gas.

It will depend on the line as we've all argued in the past.

Inside - scrub more speed, take shortest route.
Outside - maintain more speed, take longer route.

I should try both now and log the speeds.

mikeman
August 23rd, 2011, 06:06pm
Good run, cool data... i like this thread!

I catch myself tapping the brakes into 4left, but not all the time.. usually i just lift for a fraction and then right back to the floor. I don't have MAD POWA like the infinity.... I should quit being a pussy.
I really like that section - hook,spoon,4left into quarry..

karmaboy
August 23rd, 2011, 06:13pm
That's how that dude wrecked his new STi last year...throttle lift oversteer unsettled his car...and he never had a chance.
In the Miata (non-turbo mind you)...you just floor it all the way downhill until the quarry turn.

My instructor from en track had me WOT all the way down the inside of spoon, then breathe out of the throttle a hair, and turn in for 4 left. No brakes. When I got it rIght I felt happy and terrified at the same time. he also said if you don't commit in spoon you're gonna go off track.

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 06:14pm
this is neat.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 06:19pm
In slow out fast really works for me here. Going the inside route you shave some distance, but you shave that small amount of distance at a lower speed and have a much lower corner exit speed, so you cover less distance in the same amount of time or take more time to cover the same amount of distance... i.e. slower track speed. I see in temptation there is a spot showing you at 71kph, at that same spot i show about 82kph... what are you showing at the top of 9a? I the end the race is won and lost in the straights, but what you do in the straights is dictated by how you manage your corners... I really learned this lesson at Mosport in 5b. I was in my completely unmodified 07 mustang, he was in his 98 Viper GTS, i really braked HARD for 5b, got in tight and could open it up that much sooner leaving with a much higher exit speed than him, by the end of the mile long straight, even though he had 200 more hp and GOBS more torque we gained maybe 4-5 car lengths...

It will depend on the line as we've all argued in the past.

Inside - scrub more speed, take shortest route.
Outside - maintain more speed, take longer route.

I should try both now and log the speeds.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 06:24pm
Yeah 9a isn't logged, or atleast mapped unfortunately.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 06:40pm
Wow, this harrys, best bang for buck app.

Found the actual number data in the excel files you can export.

So temptation I hit 75KPH and 9b Im at 164KPH.

These are the numbers

Time KPH
45:33.0 75
45:35.0 91.6
45:36.0 106.3
45:37.0 119
45:38.0 121.1
45:39.0 123.5
45:40.0 125
45:41.0 133.4
45:42.0 145
45:43.0 155.4
45:45.0 164.1

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 06:46pm
Your slow lap has higher top speeds in some sections? Luv this tool.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 06:48pm
aww too bad. Maybe sometime we'll but my data logger in there... all real time data everywhere... but that way we can overlay them. Does it give you a time at the 97kph marker and a time at the 71kph marker?

For me the math is simple... I think the amount of distance shaved in marginal (we could measure), the average speed to the final apex even if faster is short lived and according to your data i think my line is marginally faster, your 97 to my 101, so that sector looks slightly faster according to my line (my car vs. your car... me vs you... such a terrible comparison, needs to be same car, same driver, confidence levels in both lines) but even if your line was faster time wise... all your braking turned into heat and you exit much slower, part of my braking turned into rotation and i leave much faster. So now the question becomes... because our cars currently run similar times and speeds, assuming temptation exit to turn 10 is a straight line, if you left at 80kph instead of 70 kph, and accelerated full out, the area under the curve of how much distance traveled over a given amount of time corner 8-10 will be much higher and you will shave much more time there, than what you shaved in 8. If you could match corner exit speeds for both lines yours would be the faster track line...

back in a sec going to do some math to see if my argument holds water...

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 06:58pm
Your slow lap has higher top speeds in some sections? Luv this tool.

Yup! Amazing eh...

I should add up all my best sections. :P

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 07:02pm
lol here's my data
Time 22:37.88 - 82.1kph
Time 22:48.7 - 167.3kph
Delta T - 10.82 seconds
Delta V - 85.2kph

Vs Yours
45:33 - 75kph
45.45 - 164.1kph
Delta T - 12seconds
Delta V - 89.1 kph

Conclusions... your car had to take more time and and therefore gain more speed to cover the same distance i covered in a shorter amount of time

Also if we just use 11 second time intervals, at 11 seconds i managed to get gain 85.2kph, you gained 80.4, so i may be able to put the gas down earlier on my line as well.

So overall from your 75kph marker to 9b, my line in my car driven by me got me there ~1 sec faster then you in in your car driving your line...

Now lets look at the whole sector, cause i start braking into 8 WAY earlier than you... can you show me a time and speed somewhere before your start braking for 8... say at that 175kph marker on the fast lap map?

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 07:08pm
Want another variable? On that lap I passed Mike (you see in the video) as Im cresting 9a, so I didnt take my typical line, and I had to anticipate the point by too, that's also why I was a bit slower to get up to speed I think.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 07:15pm
Now lets look at the whole sector, cause i start braking into 8 WAY earlier than you... can you show me a time and speed somewhere before your start braking for 8... say at that 175kph marker on the fast lap map?

I can't attach CSV so here is a screen cap.

3rd Column is time, last is KPH

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 07:25pm
took 10secs to slo down? I'm reading this wrong.

RandomHer0
August 23rd, 2011, 07:46pm
I guess so?

My 2:30 lap is similar in timing, 10 seconds between top speed and low speed (temptation).

Same with low speed to top speed (temptation to 9b).

I wonder if its lagged in that sense, I remember Seb talking about that.

The lap times are still relevant since I've compared them with CMP transponders.

Gojira
August 23rd, 2011, 08:05pm
Mind=Blown
Great discussion.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 09:43pm
I wanna do a couple of laps at lower speeds with you guys. During the fast stuff I tend to fall behind lol.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 09:44pm
OH. The STI that wrecked was that on the crest on the way to quarry?

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 09:45pm
I wanna do a couple of laps at lower speeds with you guys. During the fast stuff I tend to fall behind lol.

Lemme know. you can tail me or we'll find someone for ya. Same goes for anyone else.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 09:47pm
By the way, when i was doing my slower laps at the end you came behind me sliding "like a boss" ( this what the kids say now) in my rear view. Kinda like a cheesy 80s movie/case scene. Iirc it was out of easy

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 09:55pm
hehe yah, just watched it on my computer.

Jethro
August 23rd, 2011, 09:56pm
This Harry's stuff is pretty cool...I exported my laps and had a look - it was as slow as it felt...most of my laps were 3 fucking minutes.

My corner speeds are somewhat close to yours (Hook(65), Quarry(72), Wicked(74)) but I was taking alot longer to slow down, and obviously...to accelerate afterwards- and your top end blows mine away. Will be cool to see what proper brakes and tires will do. And...I can't wait to see how the car does on the short course.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 09:59pm
I wan see video!

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 10:01pm
You using harry s for iphone or droid?

1Morelap
August 23rd, 2011, 10:06pm
I wan see video!

it doesn't look that exciting from the incar. but I'll put something together. Took a couple passengers out for the first time and their reactions are cool. plus the cat n mouse with Carey and LK.

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 10:14pm
Reactions to the fear of death. hehehe....

wing
August 23rd, 2011, 10:25pm
Based on some stock vehicle times with fast driver's there is A LOT more time out there, most of it is in the high speed stuff. I still have at least 5 seconds to find! And it's all in the high speed stuff.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 10:27pm
The high speed stuff is alot of "testicle modification"

Lizard King
August 23rd, 2011, 10:56pm
It's called 'TESTICULAR FORTITUDE', if you want to get technical and stuff.

TTC
August 23rd, 2011, 10:58pm
I lack the fortitude, it got tossed out the window during the shiney side down episode.

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 11:15pm
hence the requirement for testicular modification? bolt-on fortitude? :P

Mechs02
August 23rd, 2011, 11:38pm
I still need to brake later into Sir John A, and into temptation... after running out of brakes at the end of the fabi straight at shannonville in my stock 07 mustang I've spent a long time braking early and then pushing it further and further each time... i found some good time between 6 and 7 last time out

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 12:11am
Temptation is my 'gain all' corner. I'm just trying to hold as much speed (trail braking) as I can until I see that cone, let the car carry out, squeeze the brakes, turn, shoot out.

Jeff Graves told me, I could. So I did.

TTC
August 24th, 2011, 12:29am
You don't brake before the corner? I'm cooking pretty hot when I enter

1Morelap
August 24th, 2011, 12:35am
Don't you use harrys LK? Lets see your data?

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 01:22am
I don't have my 2:26.1 data. Didn't run logger then.

I do have a 2:28 from June.

The last event data is fucked up. I yanked the phone from my dash, because video didn't want work. So all the lateral G shit is off. I deleted it.

RandomHer0
August 24th, 2011, 08:33am
I assume row 43-53 is rocky road to temptation, timing is the same, 10seconds, however your temptation speeds are higher.

Love the lateral G at Temptation, 1.04.

Mine was 1.15 LOL

1Morelap
August 24th, 2011, 08:40am
lol here's my data
Time 22:37.88 - 82.1kph
Time 22:48.7 - 167.3kph
Delta T - 10.82 seconds
Delta V - 85.2kph

Vs Yours
45:33 - 75kph
45.45 - 164.1kph
Delta T - 12seconds
Delta V - 89.1 kph

73.31 - 78 kph
84.3 - 156kph
Delta T- 10.99s
Delta V- 78km/h

Sebs way lost 0.18 to mech. not much, He has less power to weight ratio too from the looks of that. Data up a 1:26 next time LK, I'm still not convinced the outside is best.
LK took 10 secs to slow down too. man, you can see the trail braking in the lineal -G. Over 1 G lateral in temptation. nice!

I should get one of these I guess.

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 01:30pm
This is gonna sound stupid, but I love how the data tells the story - I can actually see myself modulate the brake and gas pedal through.

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 01:32pm
4Left @ 134km. That was clearly not my best lap.

Hey Greg. Get one of those already,... m'k?

tellum
August 24th, 2011, 01:32pm
Add the obd reader to Harry's for even more infos.

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 01:34pm
Yah. Not that expensive either. I will next year.

Mechs02
August 24th, 2011, 03:35pm
Lovin the data. Ill see if i can get my lap data off my 2:26.6, always the outside on temptation. Next race SHOULD have video and data together so i can just post a vid to watch the data.

It's funny, looking at the data, and the G-circle, we all are WAY cautious on the braking side and the minute its time to accelerate...balls the wall baby

LK's Data:
All Data is in "Gs" and the values are absolute:
Long Lat Resultant Phase
0.43 0.15 0.455412 braking
0.24 0.5 0.554617 braking
0.01 0.64 0.640078 braking
0.11 0.77 0.777817 accel
0.14 0.79 0.802309 accel
0.16 0.93 0.943663 accel
0.11 0.98 0.986154 accel
0.2 1.04 1.059056 accel
0.26 0.88 0.917606 accel
0.35 0.74 0.818596 accel
0.38 0.63 0.735731 accel
0.42 0.2 0.465188 accel

i.e you can brake later, and harder, and keep up a higher low speed.

TTC
August 24th, 2011, 03:43pm
So are you guys using the harry app on android or iphone? Its only 7 bux I'm gonna get it for setp 2

Lizard King
August 24th, 2011, 03:47pm
Iphone4 Was $15 when I got it.

RandomHer0
August 24th, 2011, 03:52pm
IPod+TomTom Car kit.

Mechs02
August 24th, 2011, 04:01pm
RLC Track Commander for me. http://rlcracing.com/products.htm

wing
August 24th, 2011, 04:33pm
Wow those brake values are low, can't be right.

My data shows most brake zones I'm 1.0G sometimes 1.2G's. In the slower corners I pull 1.1Gs consistently, in the fast corners I pull 0.95-1.0 gs so I know I have more time out there in the fast corners.

Mechs02
August 24th, 2011, 06:24pm
Remember not to look at the track as a 2-D surface...like shannonville, you can get more lateral Gs on an incline and less on a decline depending on speed. If you'e system does 3-D acceleration though you can do the resultant to get a max number and figure it all out... of course that changes based on tires too..

Jethro
August 24th, 2011, 07:29pm
Write a review for Harry's lap timer and get stickers!

Lizard King
August 25th, 2011, 11:58am
I have some data showing me at 1.4G in corners.

My mount sucks. It shakes (shock absorber?) and it is not very stable on position which throws off G's.

Again next year I plan on having something more stable.

TTC
August 25th, 2011, 02:40pm
Does the mount have to be vertical

Jethro
August 25th, 2011, 02:42pm
Doesn't have to be vertical. You need to recalibrate it if you flip it (the software will don that on it's own or you can manually do it)

TTC
August 25th, 2011, 02:50pm
Velcro ?

wing
August 25th, 2011, 10:27pm
Yeah spoon I'm weak, only 1g while like you said it's cambered so it should be more.

Not sure I trust gs from iPhone, I just spent 30min using the compass and it's good but not always perfect. I've got a mounted trackmate I trust it. The data is pretty cool, but I rather drive I'm still not maxing the car. Car can do 2:18's I slow.

HOLESHOT
September 3rd, 2011, 06:03pm
Yeah I'm at the point now where if I start to lose some weight the car will be a rocket (not that it isn't already).

RandomHer0
September 3rd, 2011, 06:04pm
Easier to pull a seat out lol

TTC
September 3rd, 2011, 06:19pm
lol dick post

RandomHer0
September 6th, 2011, 09:01am
So....yesterday I bested myself again, had a 2:27 in the AM, then a 2:26 in the afternoon. :) I was unsure (trusting) of harrys, I guess I didn't believe I had it in me, but I changed a few things yesterday and it seems to be paying off. Perfect conditions for solid times.

Heres a small image (Im at work)

If you compare it to the 2:28, you'll see the areas I picked up speed, front straight, rocky road, most drastic change seems to be 5-6 (Big Rock) and 9a-9b from 164 to 171KPH, most are still really consistent (quarry/temptation) I actually lost time at 4-left (too much braking :P).

Jethro
September 6th, 2011, 09:11am
:like:

Awesome! The track felt less greasy yesterday, or maybe that was Klaus making sure I didn't so anything stupid...dunno.

RandomHer0
September 6th, 2011, 09:12am
That track is stickier when its cooler.

gchislett
September 6th, 2011, 09:27am
I lowered my time another 1/2 second yesterday too, and had a passenger. 2.29.4 was my best. I didn't get a lot of clean laps on video though, and I felt I was going faster in the afternoon, but forgot to turn on the camera again. I had stiffened the front sway bar by 2 notches, and it made a lot of difference on turn-in up ridge and on the front straight. I had some 25mm spacers, but my studs weren't quite long enough so I couldn't use them.

RandomHer0
September 6th, 2011, 09:33am
Yeah the 2:26 is actually 2:26.14 so there is a 2:25 there.

2 things I did, dropped my rear sway to the softest and left my front at the stiffest, the car is kinda dodgy on the street, it wants to track the ruts on the roads. BUT; at the track, the turn is so precise now; and it is allowing me to get power down sooner, which is the reason I think I'm seeing higher speeds.

The other thing I forced myself to do was heel and toe, which is saving me SO much time and creating smoothness.

Practice, practice, practice.

tellum
September 6th, 2011, 09:41am
Good job guys!

Gamz
September 6th, 2011, 10:26am

You would never think that based on yesterday, judging by the red flags and Subie carnage! :(

Nice job on the lap times guys.

Erwan
September 6th, 2011, 11:20am
Def a ton more grip yesterday compared to Friday.

I gotta get this Harry's app shenanigans, I timed myself from the GoPro running ~2:33s
down from 2:37s at the BMW weekend a few weeks back.

Great day!

Lizard King
September 6th, 2011, 12:10pm
Hey Good work Carey!!! Had a boy.

tellum
September 6th, 2011, 12:44pm
Had a boy.
Is that like 'attaboy' or something else?

Casper
September 6th, 2011, 12:51pm
lol...the french is strong in Seb!! I love it!

93GTCANADA
September 6th, 2011, 12:51pm
haha it's something I would do.

Lizard King
September 6th, 2011, 02:58pm
I french well.

-=M=-
September 6th, 2011, 03:07pm
Carey are you an instructor there? My buddy told me that you jumped in his buddy's 2.0T Genesis teaching him the lines, or were you just helping out?

RandomHer0
September 6th, 2011, 03:10pm
Yeah I'm instructing with the MCO (a few of us are), I was with Gamz all day yesterday in his Genesis.

-=M=-
September 6th, 2011, 03:17pm
His real name is Chris right? Just a side note, i dont know how you guys can run passenger, that would make me want to puke pretty quick, but i am motion sickness' bitch.

RandomHer0
September 6th, 2011, 03:23pm
Yeah Chris, I dunno, doesnt bother me, Greg was telling me some instructors take gravol to help with sickness lol

-=M=-
September 6th, 2011, 03:31pm
ye that would be me, same if i sit in the back of the car, more than 10 minutes and i usually start feeling sick

figo
September 6th, 2011, 04:21pm
great run :) keep it up man

Mechs02
September 6th, 2011, 05:11pm
Way to go Carey... Heel Toe is a major key to good speed! you can corner sooo much faster when you can keep the car stable under downshift!

Gamz
September 6th, 2011, 05:59pm
Carey are you an instructor there? My buddy told me that you jumped in his buddy's 2.0T Genesis teaching him the lines, or were you just helping out?

Who's your buddy, buddy?

-=M=-
September 7th, 2011, 12:18am
Not sure how "buddies" you guys are but his name is Ryan and he drives a White 3.8 Genesis with the track package. He said you were the shit at solo events

Gamz
September 7th, 2011, 08:50am
Not sure how "buddies" you guys are but his name is Ryan and he drives a White 3.8 Genesis with the track package. He said you were the shit at solo events

Ah cool, met him at a few solo events; nice guy.

RandomHer0
September 7th, 2011, 07:38pm
So heres the 2:26 on video, except....my memory card filled at the last 5 seconds LOL

Its a shame cause I actually passed that Porsche in front at the kink on the inside. I remember the rev-limiter and back-fires blasting away...

Ahwell...looking for a repeat anyways.

Hey Gamz, told you I was gunna "take it easy" lol

http://vimeo.com/28739634

1Morelap
September 7th, 2011, 07:46pm
so smooth, luv it!

RandomHer0
September 7th, 2011, 07:50pm
Notice alot less "drifting"? Looks cool but it slows you down, that sway bar adjustment gets me outta the hole like a rocket. For the RWD dudes, stiff in front, soft in rear.

daft_mx5
September 7th, 2011, 08:14pm
Notice alot less "drifting"? Looks cool but it slows you down, that sway bar adjustment gets me outta the hole like a rocket. For the RWD dudes, stiff in front, soft in rear.

Nice!
Softening your front also might give you better turn in bite/grip ...
I like all soft in the Miata...as long as you have the spring rates to support it, which you do.

Mechs02
September 7th, 2011, 10:18pm
lol stiff in the front soft in the back

great lap, nice and smooth, and grip out of the hole... so nice.

Gamz
September 8th, 2011, 08:47am
Hey Gamz, told you I was gunna "take it easy" lol

:like:

Awesome dude... was this before or after the flutter?

RandomHer0
September 8th, 2011, 08:51am
during, last session of the day. Went out for 3 laps. TA style!

Casper
September 8th, 2011, 09:11am
So smooth dude...good stuff!

Gamz
September 8th, 2011, 10:37am
Here's one of my laps with RandomHer0 tailing me. Not the fastest, but wasn't focusing on time, more on my lines and being smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9GWnUSISyw

A few things after watching it over.

- I am too hesitant in The Kink. For some reason, that corner scares me the most.
- I nailed Big Rock a few times, and when I did it felt awesome, otherwise I feel like the car is "going against the grain".
- Temptation needs work, too flat going into the apex.

Those are things to work on with more seat time, but overall I'm pretty happy with relaxing and trying to shake the SoloII "jerky" habits. Once I feel confident enough, I'll focus more on bringing the time down.

Feel free to offer feedback.

Erwan
September 11th, 2011, 10:01pm
Here's one of my laps with RandomHer0 tailing me. Not the fastest, but wasn't focusing on time, more on my lines and being smooth.

A few things after watching it over.

- I am too hesitant in The Kink. For some reason, that corner scares me the most.
- I nailed Big Rock a few times, and when I did it felt awesome, otherwise I feel like the car is "going against the grain".
- Temptation needs work, too flat going into the apex.

Those are things to work on with more seat time, but overall I'm pretty happy with relaxing and trying to shake the SoloII "jerky" habits. Once I feel confident enough, I'll focus more on bringing the time down.

Feel free to offer feedback.

Looks good, more seat time and more balls and you'll be flying. :D

Here's one of my sessions from the day, no data, nothing to do with Harry's except for the fact that I should run it next time I'm at the track but since I'm on a roll spamming my footage I figured this would be a good place to dump it as well. Oh and some greg footage at the 13:25 mark when he comes on during one of his tire pressure testing laps (may be some other people from here I don't really know everyone's car unfortunately).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6UwliSi32w&hd=1