PDA

View Full Version : CMP Mustang Experience...the view from the n00b seat

Jethro
July 11th, 2011, 08:33pm
So, I signed up for and completed 2 days of CMP Mustang Experience.

I drove a total of fifteen 30 minute sessions. Day 1 and Day 2 were with different instructors. My only CMP track experience was shotgun on a couple of lapping events with Pat, Seb, Matt, and Greg. I took the advice to be a sponge and I believe it worked. There are definitely less expensive ways to learn the track but I decided for various reasons to take the route that I did.

What I learned:

Day 1:

Beyond the kind of hokey RC car example in the classroom for 30 minutes, the in-car learning in the first 3 sessions formed the foundation for everything. Steering, braking, weight transfer, looking ahead to the next objective (the key for me personally), smoothness in transitions between gas and brakes...all the basics. At first my lap times could likely have been bested by Mrs. Daisy but that quickly changed. After the 4th session my day 1 instructor started to push my limits once he found that I had the fundamentals down. As my speed increased, and my lap times decreased some interesting new things popped up along the way (needing to shorten my braking zones, not allowing my eyes to "cheat" involuntarily in corners, and quicker transitions for setting the car for turn in and the actual turn in). Got over those fairly quickly and my instructor continued to push me. At the end of day 1 I felt I had hit about 9/10 for my driving on the track. The afternoon had me drop about 20-25 seconds consistently off of my best from the first session after lunch. On Day 1 I learned how to throw passes properly. I didn't drive in alot of traffic on Day 1. Throughout the day I went from a high level of coaching from the instructor, to none for 1 full session, then progressed to him coaching me, pushing me from 2 laps in on every session. I started the day in the rain, so wet track, to damp track, to dry track, to hot track.

Day 2:

No RC car school. Spent the half hour waiting for the first group to run talking to my instructor. He answered some questions then we buckled into the car and hit the track. He let me drive for the first session pretty much, but in the last few laps he started to push me a bit to see how that would go. Successive sessions had him pushing me more and more, tweaking my driving lines, driving in traffic, ramping up my speed, tweaking my braking....etc....I thought I was driving at 9/10 on my Day 1. I learned I was nowhere near 9/10 on day 1. My holy fuck threshold was raised quite a bit. Day 2 I learned where to sit to get a pass, and how to pass. Had a couple of hairy bits in the day. Came over the hill carrying alot of speed onto 5/6 and realized that an orange cmp mustang was puttering through the corner. The instructor grabbed the roll bar, I straightened the wheel, pinned the brakes, scrubbed off speed, then turned in. After that he said "you're ready to take it to the next level". The only other hairy bit was the orange cmp mustang guy looking at me as I passed and he swung his car across the track getting the door handles close.

By the end of the day 2 I was running consistently and smoothly at a pace that had me lapping nearly everything on the track. My lap times were good enough to (hopefully) not be a slug on the track on the 28th Gentleman's race....

I learned more by being pushed. If I had done this more or less on my own I would have taken MUCH longer to find my limits and the limits of the car.

Super experience. Highly recommended.

Cars are bulletproof, solid, well set up.

volvoline
July 11th, 2011, 08:56pm
great insight youve changed my whole outlook on what i assumed it was! i want to try this now.

Mechs02
July 11th, 2011, 09:29pm
Great to hear it went well you obviously had some good instructors who could read you learning needs and see your cues, and you were obviously a good student!

Glad to hear that confidence went up! Now its all about track time until you hit your next plateau, then it's instruction time again... Or time to get a faster car :p

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 08:15am
Great to hear it went well you obviously had some good instructors who could read you learning needs and see your cues, and you were obviously a good student!

Glad to hear that confidence went up! Now its all about track time until you hit your next plateau, then it's instruction time again... Or time to get a faster car :p

Rowan and Bob were awesome. I highly recommend them. They each have different approaches and getting them in the order I did worked extremely well for me.

I plan to get at least 3 more lapping dates in this year, plus the mustang race on the 28th. Will see how it goes when I don't have that voice in my head pushing me.

figo
July 12th, 2011, 09:08am
how much was it?

awndray
July 12th, 2011, 09:13am
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/mustang-experience

figo
July 12th, 2011, 09:15am
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/mustang-experience

so the 2 full day??

figo
July 12th, 2011, 09:16am
2 half day?

awndray
July 12th, 2011, 09:17am
I'm guessing with the breaks, talking and all that shit, full days.

So, I signed up for and completed 2 days of CMP Mustang Experience.

I drove a total of fifteen 30 minute sessions. Day 1 and Day 2 were with different instructors.

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 09:30am
2 full days.

hunginator
July 12th, 2011, 09:38am
Did they timing equipment in the car so you know how fast your lap times were?

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 09:40am
Did they timing equipment in the car so you know how fast your lap times were?

Yup.

EricVII
July 12th, 2011, 09:52am
How fast are those stangs? Are these the same ones that will run 2:20's with good drivers?

1Morelap
July 12th, 2011, 09:55am
good drivers and porsche tires.

awndray
July 12th, 2011, 10:35am
How fast are those stangs? Are these the same ones that will run 2:20's with good drivers?
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/mustang-pool

wing
July 12th, 2011, 10:44am
Interesting investment opportunity....

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 10:44am
The cars I drove have Falken tires on them and 6 speed trans.

They feel well sorted out. The brakes had no fade in either car all day. This was key to confidence (for me) to go from well into 5th gear off Rocky Road down to cornering speed for 5/6. I stopped using the brakes at the end of day 2 coming off the front straight into turn 1 so for that area it was just a matter of overcoming the "IM GOING TO DIE" feeling. I spoke to the tires a couple of times and I think they listened.

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 10:58am
Interesting investment opportunity....

I was talking with a local business owner who's interested in doing this but he wants to go 50/50. The tax writeoffs are 33% per year. There's also income from the rental pool and mustang experience thing (which from what I understand covers the maintenance and general wear and tear repairs). On top of that, the car is there for "the company" to use whenever. I don't know how much of an investment it is but it's definitely a way to get some depreciation writeoffs in company books.

Mechs02
July 12th, 2011, 11:01am
Yup, and the pool does cover all the wearable items and use of the vehicle. So when you show up to use the car, you never pay for gas, brakes, fuel, etc. Arrive and drive.

awndray
July 12th, 2011, 11:16am
It's still a costly "investment". Some of us were interested in the program, but once yanrider got all the information - including the fine print - well, we're not CMP Mustang owners.

Mechs02
July 12th, 2011, 11:28am
Agreed. After i got my package i also decided against it. For a business that can use the write-offs it can be worth while.

Jethro
July 12th, 2011, 11:42am
there is also the 'you break it you bought it' clause in the rental contract.