PDA

View Full Version : Calabogie Cup - Shawn's POV

sb_915
June 27th, 2011, 11:51am
First let me tip my hat to all the organizers for this event - what a blast it was!

Saturday morning the weather was, well, miserable. It was cold and rainy, and made the practise session pretty hairy for me. I made a few suspension adjustments for the qualifying session hoping to get some more front-end grip on turn-in.

During qualifying, I got out front, but after a few laps, my dad started catching up and holding me. I started feeling the pressure and my lines got sloppier. coming out of 4 left, I had a bit of a wiggle, and that translated into me missing my brake zone before going into the quarry. I got sideways and started drifting towards the edge of the track. I tried correcting but it was just too slick and I ended up dropping the two driver-side wheels off into the grass. As soon as that happened, the car hooked towards the wall tire wall. I tried to steer a bit, but the grass was basically like ice, and I ended up going nose-first into the wall. Luckily, the damage was only cosmetic (dented fenders, and front grill pushed in a touch) - nothing mechanical at all. I drove the car off into the pits, ending the qualifying session early however still managing to qualify 4th for the first race. After a few more "aero" enhancements, the car was good to go http://www.mco.org/phpbb/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif.

Saturday afternoon was the first race – I got out front early and it was smooth sailing after that. There was an Ariel Atom there that was catching up to me, but in the second last lap, he slid off and hit a wall (he was fine). Sunday morning I started in pole position again, and was able to hold it to the end as well. Mr. Ariel Atom brought his supercharged Lotus Elise out for Sunday, and he worked his way up the pack to finish 4th - with his fastest lap being 2/10s better than mine. Unfortunately during that race I flat-spotted one of my starspecs, so I had to switch to old R888s that had been heat-cycled out for the third race.

The last race was the one that counted, and they inverted the top 6 to make it more challenging. So the run order was:

1. Porsche Cayman
2. 1991 Ford Mustang (race prepped) - Matt
3. Lotus Elise SC
4. Seb's Mustang GT
5. Audi R8
6. Me!

I passed the Audi & Seb within the first few laps, and then caught up to the top 3. I don't know if the Porsche just wasn't looking or ignoring us, but he was not letting anyone by, even after being blue-flagged several times. Finally, Matt was able to get the Porsche on the inside of temptation (not sure if there was a point-by or not). In the next lap (or 2) at temptation again, the lotus got hung up behind the Porsche on the inside so I took the outside of that same corner, but since the lotus had to brake hard, I ended up side-by-side with him going up the hill at 9a. I'm not sure if I got the pass signal, but at that point I felt it would be safer to stay there than to try and back off and take the pass anyways for second place. A bit later, the Porsche FINALLY decided to point us by, so the lotus and I went for it. We caught up to Matt's mustang and passed it shortly after. The lotus and I were neck-in-neck for several laps after that - I couldn’t pull away, but he couldn’t get close enough (for long enough) for me to warrant letting him by. Finally, I got blue flagged and I pointed him by. Once he got by, I stuck with him for a bit, but my tires started falling off more and more and I started losing him slowly.

Then we got a red flag (proper procedure was to slow down and go into the pits - as per the driver's meeting). The lotus stopped on track, and I stopped beside him to tell him to go back to the pits, but he didn’t, so I just kept going. On the restart, they put me first, so I waved at the lotus to tell him to go in front. He said that he’d stay behind, but that if he got close, to let him by. Well I found out just before the re-start that we were only going to have a pace lap, and then one “hot” lap. In the hot lap, the lotus stayed with me pretty well, but I would build a gap in some places, and lose it in others. I never saw a blue flag, so I kept my lead for the third race as well http://www.mco.org/phpbb/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

This was absolutely an AMAZING weekend. Congrats to all - everyone did super well, and despite the few insidents, no one got hurt, and there wasn't much damage to any cars. http://www.mco.org/phpbb/images/smilies/thumb_up.gif

Videos will be up soon (including the crash)

Lizard King
June 27th, 2011, 11:59am
Great race Shawn. Like truly awesome what your family is doing. I hope in a few years I can bring out my kids racing like your dad does.

Mechs02
June 27th, 2011, 12:37pm
I was hoping that the cayman had held you back enough to give me enough distance to take the race... But that crap point by by the lapped civic closed any distance I had real quick. Hopefully I pointed you guys by fast enough not to annoy anyone!

mphysk
June 27th, 2011, 01:12pm
way to go Shawn!

Mechs02
June 27th, 2011, 10:01pm
Finally, Matt was able to get the Porsche on the inside of temptation (not sure if there was a point-by or not).

He would NOT give me the point, and without the point i couldn't take advantage of the areas i was faster. he got one blue flag... ignored... so in the next lap, i took an inside line in temptation and aimed for his door, coming out side by side then finally blue flagged him again and gave me the point, finished him in 9a...seeeee ya.

Lizard King
June 27th, 2011, 11:31pm
So you had to force it out of him. Wow. Defeats the gentlemen part.

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 07:59am
Gentlemens Wreck

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 08:41am
Exactly... Especially after the previous race where after i passed him i gained about a second per lap, if you cant see my head lights for 80% of the lap, let me go by.... if i cant lose you, then ill let you by... its pretty simple.

So you had to force it out of him. Wow. Defeats the gentlemen part.

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 08:44am
let me go by.... if i cant lose you, then ill let you by... its pretty simple.

Thats how I roll too, if I end up being slower, then you'll get a point by, I hate being that guy.

Hence Shawns Dad getting the checker in race #2 lol

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 08:59am
This makes it a ton more fun. The back and forth is awesome. And letting people pass is SO important after the grid inversion in a gentleman's race. If we can go into corners side by side, that cayman would have been out in lap 2.

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 09:03am
Those are my favourite times, the back and forth dog fights.

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 09:13am
Agreed. i don't care if I'm fighting for 2nd last, middle of the pack, or first place... racing is about the dog fights. If you are all by yourself, it's just lapping.

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 09:14am
lol thats the worst part, forever arone. You cant tell if you're making time, or losing time, you're in a lonley bubble of lapping.

Jethro
June 28th, 2011, 09:16am
lol thats the worst part, forever arone. You cant tell if you're making time, or losing time, you're in a lonley bubble of lapping.

that's probably how the Scirocco guy felt. Except when the other cars blew by him repeatedly.

sb_915
June 28th, 2011, 09:27am
Agreed. i don't care if I'm fighting for 2nd last, middle of the pack, or first place... racing is about the dog fights. If you are all by yourself, it's just lapping.

That's how it was for me the first two races - That's why I really liked the third :)

oh and here's my video from qualifying... race video will be up tonight:

http://youtu.be/wrzwvGi6fko

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 10:10am
Perfect, so keep your old R888s, always have a passenger and come out to the Monthly Gentlmen's races :P. Bring your brother and dad too. Right now it's average speed 2:25-2:45... so you'd be leading the pack. Once we get enough people we are changing the format (probably next year). We will have 2 classes, faster than 2:30 and slower than 2:30. Next race is July 28th... looks like Anthony will be there! Greg is in, I am in, the black mustang is in, Spectrel says he's in, Random is thinking about it. Plus we will be in with all the mustangs... going to be a HOOT! So far No Porsche on the list :P

That's how it was for me the first two races - That's why I really liked the third :)

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 10:11am
Word, gotta look at my tire situation, then go from there :)

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 10:21am
Word.

sb_915
June 28th, 2011, 10:40am
I have to look at my $$$ situation. I'm run pretty thin this year cuz of going over budget on the build.... I'll try and make the july 28th one, but i can't promise anything

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 10:53am
well if you do come... you'll likely win, that will at least get you a $250 GC to calabogie...that'll cover your next race ;) Don't think of it as a cost, but an investment... in awesome.

1Morelap
June 28th, 2011, 11:03am
do we actually get in on the prizes/podium if we beat the CMP mustangs? I got the impression not so much.

RandomHer0
June 28th, 2011, 11:07am
Im thinking a streetcar beating and CMP mustang wont sit well with them lol

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 11:28am
We race in our own class. But with enough participants there will be prize and or prizes. podium, the whole she-bang. Last month was a test, they are really happy, and really want this to grow. So they've asked me to organize it fully. and talk to you guys about what you'd like to see as prizes.... track time? tires? GCs?

sb_915
June 28th, 2011, 11:38am
TIRES!

GC and track time are good too, but personally I like to lap/race with the local clubs (MR, MCO). Would the gift cards apply to those too?

Mechs02
June 28th, 2011, 11:41am
I'm not sure. I will have to find that out!

Tires could be a good end of the season prize for the overall winner.

sb_915
June 29th, 2011, 08:49am
stupid power outage... after 12hours of uploading (out of 14), the power went out and I lost the video :tsk:

Hopefully I can get it done by tonight!

Mechs02
June 29th, 2011, 08:54am
balls

sb_915
July 3rd, 2011, 08:34am
FINALLY got the race 3 vids up - part 1 has a sweet view of LK drifting temptation ;)

Part1:

http://youtu.be/Mbj-XJMB7ZA

Part2:

http://youtu.be/YN9kS6AG5uo

sb_915
July 3rd, 2011, 08:36am
Here's a vid of Matt & I taking the podium :beerchug:

http://youtu.be/NiuNGP5863M

RandomHer0
July 3rd, 2011, 09:18am
Wow, nice driving dude, are you all self taught or have you taken any schools? I gotta step up my heel-toe game.

Towards the end it was all slipper sliding on those R888's lol

The cayman point by then no pass, ghey.

Was your co-pilot signaling time in the second video?

Again, congrats.

Mechs02
July 3rd, 2011, 10:01am
5:59 in the first vid is awesome... fine cayman.... no point by, ill go off line and still do this faster than you...

sb_915
July 3rd, 2011, 02:42pm
Wow, nice driving dude, are you all self taught or have you taken any schools? I gotta step up my heel-toe game.

Towards the end it was all slipper sliding on those R888's lol

The cayman point by then no pass, ghey.

Was your co-pilot signaling time in the second video?

Again, congrats.

Thanks man! In terms of driving technique, yes i'm self taught. I have had some lapping-day instruction with MCO, and some pointers from Glen Clarke but that's about it.

Co-pilot: yup - i gave them my cell with a stop watch, and asked him to let me know when there was 15 min, then 10 min, then 5 min left. :) It got a bit screwed up with the restart, but it's all good. It worked well during the first race. The second I ran by myself, so I taped my cellphone to my steering wheel LOL.