PDA

View Full Version : Can I run staggered?

Tim
May 18th, 2011, 10:34pm
I am going to be getting a new set of rims for the street. I was thinking of keeping my current ones with new rubber for the track. I seem to remember someone saying staggered is no good for this. Is this so?

Pete
May 18th, 2011, 10:38pm
The major drawback of a staggered setup is that you cant rotate your tires anymore.

This means when your rears are toast, you cant swap them with the fronts or vice-versa.

If you are going for top 5% lap times and trying to run as wide as possible tires in your fenders, ect... then you may end up with a staggered setup.

For fun lapping purposes, to help keep the costs low, unless you really need to due to the suspension/car design, running 4 of the same thing is the best IMHO.

Tim
May 18th, 2011, 10:40pm
Got it. So if I upgrade I will just look for a set of stock 17" wheels. Never thought about not being able to rotate.

NTIMD8
May 18th, 2011, 10:46pm
Skinnier fronts also promote understeer. A lot of car companies do this when setting up the handling dynamics of a car (understeer is safer than oversteer). I have a staggered setup in my RX7 and have no issues at all.

1Morelap
May 18th, 2011, 11:14pm
What pete said. Not worth the hassle. Left front tire gets all the abuse at shnville and bogie, why limit your rubbers.

figo
May 18th, 2011, 11:16pm
Skinnier fronts also promote understeer. A lot of car companies do this when setting up the handling dynamics of a car (understeer is safer than oversteer). I have a staggered setup in my RX7 and have no issues at all.
+1 poop came staggered from japan

RandomHer0
May 19th, 2011, 09:24am
Same, G35 comes staggered. Squaring the setup makes the car feel more neutral, less understeer.

Tim
May 19th, 2011, 09:26am
Under/Oversteer was never an issue. I did notice I had oversteer when I lowered it but have gotten use to it. One of the things on my list if I stick with this is a bump steer kit.

Jethro
May 19th, 2011, 10:31am
Under/Oversteer was never an issue. I did notice I had oversteer when I lowered it but have gotten use to it. One of the things on my list if I stick with this is a bump steer kit.

The track isn't bumpy. It's smooth.

Tim
May 19th, 2011, 10:37am
Carey can you change my Teff to Tethro?

Thanks.

RandomHer0
May 19th, 2011, 10:57am
lol

Casper
May 19th, 2011, 10:59am
luls

Also, please add "Jim" back to Jethro's rank so we can all remember who he is every time he changes his user name.

Jethro
May 19th, 2011, 12:00pm
luls

Also, please add "Jim" back to Jethro's rank so we can all remember who he is every time he changes his user name.

FFFUU.

Grabber
May 19th, 2011, 12:11pm
FFFUU.

http://www.ravengarcia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Tull.jpg

Jethro
May 19th, 2011, 12:12pm
http://www.ravengarcia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Tull.jpg

FFFFUUUU
next time you leave your desk I'm going to fart on your chair.

Lizard King
May 19th, 2011, 12:27pm
Same, G35 comes staggered. Squaring the setup makes the car feel more neutral, less understeer.

Most ridiculous Stagger I have ever seen.

Same rims all around. Different tire width front and back. WTF?

Lizard King
May 19th, 2011, 12:29pm

Bumpsteer doesn't correct under/oversteer.

The main goal is to make to keep the car pointing straight when one wheel (one side) goes over a bump.

Mechs02
May 19th, 2011, 12:31pm
I am now using the GT500 rims on my 07 stang, I lapped a few times with the 255/285 set up, definitely some understeer but very predictable.... (i can now predict I am about to understeer...yup). I moved to 285s all the way around and definitely removed the inherent understeer, and made the car much more fun to drive. For your track rims though... make sure you don't go too wide on the tire selection, while a nice sidewall bulge on the tire looks awesome, it doesnt perform well, you get too much flex and sidewall roll in the tire...less tractive surface on the tarmac=less cornering performance. You really want those tires almost stretched on the rim. For example on hoosier R6's, you want to choose a tread width within 1/2" bigger or smaller that the rim size. Driving with the larger tires on the track (when you first get started) can be a little unnerving because it can feel like you are sliding at first (more than you actually are that is) as the tire rolls and contact patch shifts transversely with respect to the rim. W.R.T your actual question, regarless of what you choose for the sake of money and waste... don't go staggered.

Mechs02
May 19th, 2011, 12:34pm
Most ridiculous Stagger I have ever seen.

Same rims all around. Different tire width front and back. WTF?

This is how a lot of cars are set-up. Provides the inherent natural understeer for safety as one aspect. But also allows good turn in abiliy from your front wheels, while the rear gets a middle of the road balanced approach, good width for tractive effort while losing some directional stability from tire roll in turns. GT500s are all set-up like this.