PDA

View Full Version : Track car?

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 04:07pm
So I've been thinking about getting one for year or two now, but I always felt like using the Saleen justified having it. But as the car and myself are getting faster and faster every event, I'm starting to be conserned for my safety and the car itself. I srsly plan to keep than thing untill I die and get burried in it.
I'm at the the point where I;

1.stop moding it (including not running NT01's once they're done) and just drive it as it is and "sand bag"

2.get a trailer and set it up for track days at home, then reset it for street when I get back home.

3.get a trailer and track car and not give a dam if I damage it or whatever.

I guess the big question if will it make me feel less guilty/worried for the car, safety and boost the fun factor

Grabber
May 31st, 2010, 04:13pm
That's something that always makes me hesitant at track days.. i would hate myself if i pulled a gary and trashed my car. If i had a dedicated track car that i didn't care if I damaged it.. would be much more fun for me.

EricVII
May 31st, 2010, 04:21pm
I think that's the case for most of us on here.

#3 would be the most fun imo.

Blind
May 31st, 2010, 04:23pm
its 1 reason why im still debating if I really want to part out my bmw...it would make a great track car!

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 04:51pm
ya when started lapping a few years ago I wans't worried as I and most of us where not too fast and there was no real danger, but things are changing, and I want to step it up and go balls deep. I've created a Monster and now I have to feed it. Mosport didn't help lol

RandomHer0
May 31st, 2010, 04:52pm
Funny, I was day dreaming today and looking at salvaged 350z's to gut and track.

1. Need Room - You have it.
2. Need Trailer - Can be easily obtained
3. Buy cheap car for sole purpose to thrash in - Doit.

You can do all of these.

I can't. Yet.

RandomHer0
May 31st, 2010, 04:53pm
ya when started lapping a few years ago I wans't worried as I and most of us where not too fast and there was no real danger, but things are changing, and I want to step it up and go balls deep. I've created a Monster and now I have to feed it. Mosport didn't help lol

So true man, that track is ballsy. Imagine what would happen if we had an "issue", I'd be heart broken but it won't stop me.

Gotta pay to play.

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 05:14pm
lol I was on ezsalvage.com today...wet dreaming

If it comes down to it, would be a 05 and up Stang or C5 C6 vette...10K budget MAX plus trailer

It's doable, just need to sell one of my redeundent trucks to make space in yard and budget slash not getting kicked out of the house..sold the van last night, so it's a start

also that track bike that I don't use

Firewired
May 31st, 2010, 05:37pm
I wouldn't doo #3. That car means alot to you... I wouldn't want to twist that thing up on the track. Then again, you never know what can happen on the streets either.

A C5 or C6 would probably make a better track car. Aren't they lighter too?

evoly
May 31st, 2010, 05:54pm
All depends how much money you are willing to spend. You have the car pretty damn near dialed in as it sits. Now you'd have to start all over on another.

My concern knowing you is that you will always complain there isn't enough power (if you go stock GT). You'd probably be happier with a C5. But it will end up costing you more than just 10 grand as you know you will mod it lol. Maybe a cheaper car to gut to start like older M3 or something? I dunno...

But I do understand the "saving" the stang situation! Guess it's hard to relate since I don't have a car I care that much for, nor do I have the place and budget to add a track dedicated beast!

daft_mx5
May 31st, 2010, 07:09pm
That's my plan with Crispy. Full track car by next year.
Whatever you chose make sure it is easy to work on and doesn't use exotic parts...

RandomHer0
May 31st, 2010, 07:11pm
Start with 2, end up at 1 later.

Pete
May 31st, 2010, 07:14pm
#3.

My plan so far...
2003 Dodge Ram to tow shit around(already have it)
Decent car trailer with tire rack and shit, 2K(alot less less if I build it myself once I move into the new house this autumn)
Salvaged car that i'll strip or a pre-built ex-race-car and drove like I stole it... sometimes this winter maybe...

RandomHer0
May 31st, 2010, 07:15pm
I'll quote that when you don't doit.

Pete
May 31st, 2010, 07:18pm
I'll quote that when you don't doit.

Too late, I quoted you saying you would quote me already.

I'll see how the finances goes once I move in, then take it from there. But i'll have some dedicated track toy soon enough, that's for sure. Driving hard on a track without having that lil angel telling you that you need to drive your car back is something else... I did once a long time ago and I still remember that whole session like it was yesterday. I miss that big time.

Gojira
May 31st, 2010, 07:32pm
Like you guys I'm in the same boat with the X. I started off just wanting more power, but the more I track it the more I mod it until now it's completely uncomfortable for the street but it's replacement costs keep me from really trying to push it. Thus my current search for a fun, cheap track toy like the Caterham 7. Costs little to maintain, barebones and performs like an Ariel Atom. Only prob for me is the lack of room in my 2 car garage, which I'm trying to remedy by next summer with a new house.

Great track cars would be old E36 M3s, Porsche 944 turbos, miatas, 240's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daft_mx5
May 31st, 2010, 07:51pm
And whatever you track, regardless of how hard you drive, you have to be able to walk away from it if something happens...

Firewired
May 31st, 2010, 08:05pm
And whatever you track, regardless of how hard you drive, you have to be able to walk away from it if something happens...

And this is why I think #3 is not a good choice. That car is beautiful. Get a dirty and banged up car to trash around the track. Flat black with rivetted wide-body, preferably.

Pete
May 31st, 2010, 08:29pm

Exactly why i'd rather drive a slower but dedicated car. I respect guys like Carey and Yan who drive the balls out of their turbo cars on a track but shit happens and happens real fast at those speeds.

E30-E36, Miatas, Civics. Cheap, fast enough to have fun, tons of aftermarket support.

That's the way I see it anyway... or i'm just too chicken to drive a 300+WHP car on a track full tilt knowing I wont make it back alive.

Slick
May 31st, 2010, 08:30pm
And this is why I think #3 is not a good choice. That car is beautiful. Get a dirty and banged up car to trash around the track. Flat black with rivetted wide-body, preferably.

I think #3 refers to a track-only car, not the S281.

Firewired
May 31st, 2010, 08:37pm
I think #3 refers to a track-only car, not the S281.

Slick
May 31st, 2010, 08:48pm
My choice would be a dedicated track car, or something completely gutted but still road legal that you could drive to and from the track. I like the Caterham idea. Group build!!

I even used to flat-tow (tow-bar) my Miata to the track, but you can't do this unless it's plated.

I have only ever run street cars on the track and paid the price for it once. Shit can happen quite quickly, good driver or not.
I even had an off at Bogie with the RX-8, let's just say we were lucky... Don't want to tempt fate anymore...

Pete
May 31st, 2010, 08:53pm
I even had an off at Bogie with the RX-8, let's just say we were lucky... Don't want to tempt fate anymore...

LOL.

I had dirt and grass in my nose for 2 days...

NTIMD8
May 31st, 2010, 09:00pm
I'd love a dedicated track car but it wouldn't be one I didn't care about so that factor is out the window. I would like to have like an Arial Atom, Ultima GT-R or something.

An old gutted BMW or something else I didn't care about would be fun too since I would push it much more than I would anything I care about. I am a very conservative driver on the track in my RX-7.

gchislett
May 31st, 2010, 09:23pm
I've been contemplating the same thing. I'm surprised Andre didn't plug his own sale, so I'll do it for him. I actually copied the link before realizing he posted in this thread.

http://www.mco.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10164

Problem solved. You have the tow vehicle. Parts for that are stoopid cheap (JP bought a used motor AND tranny for $650), so all you need is the trailer, and there's lots of room in the $10k budget.

Andre
May 31st, 2010, 09:27pm
Dang, I need deeper pockets to hang out with you people.

wing
May 31st, 2010, 09:43pm
Yeah Andre's Miata is sooooo tempting. One thing to also consider despite your best efforts your budget will increase because you will now have to get tires for this new car more wheels etc etc. It's a disease!

Problem with starting with a fast car is you may be disappointed with a slower car it is hard to go back. Also fuel bill goes up a lot towing to the track that's for damn sure. I figure a day at bogie is $1000 ish $200 in fuel, $350 for the track time, tires brakes etc.... ugh.

Legacy
May 31st, 2010, 10:26pm
I have been moving towards a dedicated track car for the past year-ish now. When I bought the 2nd Forester I strongly considered a 2004-06 Z06 as they are essentially track ready as-is. I'd love a Lotus Elise but they're stupid expensive in Canada. I'll more than likely pick up an S2000 in the next 2 years. Sub $10k, small in the garage to store, Honda reliablity and fun at the track.

HOLESHOT
May 31st, 2010, 11:19pm
If you have a dream for another nice car to cruise in I would make the mustang your track car since it is well on it's way to being what you want for the track and purchase a Vette to do the Friday night cruise thing. I am slowly converting the STI into a track only car that will not be very comfortable on the road. I am thinking of picking up a C6 z06 in another 4 years and keeping it somewhat close to stock.

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 11:34pm
ya the Saleen has sentimental value so I would no convert it. As a matter of fact I would pull off a few parts to make it more comfortable on the raod and friday nights. This is why an 05 and up stang would be good because I would have parts, wheels etc for it. And I'm used to them, know how to fix them etc and love the V8's. I can't do smaller (no offence) it's my thing, I have 3 V8's at home lol. A gutted and prepped 300-350HP Stang or vette would be alot faster than my 500HP boat, and could run 87 octane with cheap oils! A 300HP rental stang has been driven at 2.20 seconds around bogie! I think I'll finish this season conservatively and defenetly keep my eyes open for a deal.

1Morelap
May 31st, 2010, 11:39pm
IMO, Trailered track car will get boring, man up and take it racing door to door or timed competitions. Lots of places in quebec ontario to get your feet wet.

1Morelap
May 31st, 2010, 11:43pm
but if you need to....

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18646

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 11:46pm
with my car? "are you well?"

IMO, Trailered track car will get boring, man up and take it racing door to door or timed competitions. Lots of places in quebec ontario to get your feet wet.

yanrider
May 31st, 2010, 11:51pm
that for around 10K would be awesome lol

but if you need to....

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=18646

1Morelap
May 31st, 2010, 11:54pm
with my car? "are you well?"

I didn't mean your car, option 3 trailer track junk... lap days only go so far, eventually every track car I've seen get's numbers painted on the sides.

try here too homer.

http://www.racingjunk.com/

1Morelap
May 31st, 2010, 11:55pm
that for around 10K would be awesome lol

lol, the list of wheels/tires alone is 10k

RandomHer0
June 1st, 2010, 08:04am
Are you well lol

Yan, Im like you, stick with what you know.

For you its Mustangs, for me it's 350z/G35's. I'd like to see myself in a RB 240, or Old Datsun or something...

Would just make things easier.

tellum
June 1st, 2010, 08:28am
SRSLY. A dedicated track car would be awesome, but hard to justify only doing lapping days vs the cost.

yanrider
June 1st, 2010, 10:11am
ya for sure, but in my case it's easier becasue I have a truck I won't need....BAM

SRSLY. A dedicated track car would be awesome, but hard to justify only doing lapping days vs the cost.

yanrider
June 1st, 2010, 10:15am
oh ya for sure, racing would come next. Going to Mosport brought back memories of racing Moto X, just getting the shits in the pits is all morning makes it all worth it

I didn't mean your car, option 3 trailer track junk... lap days only go so far, eventually every track car I've seen get's numbers painted on the sides.

try here too homer.

http://www.racingjunk.com/

Lizard King
June 1st, 2010, 10:17am
#4 - Bike to the track. Pedal bike.

(booooooooooooOOOOoooo....)

RandomHer0
June 1st, 2010, 10:23am
Wow man....

you've changed...

Lizard King
June 1st, 2010, 10:28am
I haven't. I'm just taking a sabbatical. It's just frustrating. Asshole.

EricVII
June 1st, 2010, 10:33am
#4 - Bike to the track. Pedal bike.

(booooooooooooOOOOoooo....)

YOU'RE NOT ONE OF US....... oh wait

Lizard King
June 1st, 2010, 10:38am
I created you.

EricVII
June 1st, 2010, 10:43am
I do what I want!

yanrider
June 1st, 2010, 10:43am
there is a God....http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1077/NASA_American_Iron/post/1799891/2006-Saleen-S281-Factory-Built-Racecar.html

yanrider
June 1st, 2010, 10:45am
right up my alley http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1077/NASA_American_Iron/post/1893817/1994-Camaro-Road-Race-Drag-Race-Autocross.html

Slick
June 1st, 2010, 12:42pm
A 300HP rental stang has been driven at 2.20 seconds around bogie!

2:16 for Bruce's old Mustang (the first CMP Stang, was Bruce's ride for Ted Powell weekend last year) , Claude Bourbonnais did a 2:18 lap in it last week after 10-15 mins in the car.

1Morelap
June 1st, 2010, 01:09pm
must have had better tires, I've heard anything from 2:17 to 2;20...

but in the end He qualified the mustang at a 2:22 last years TP race weekend.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242323

and his best lap came in race 2, 2:20

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242325

evoly
June 1st, 2010, 06:02pm
right up my alley http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1077/NASA_American_Iron/post/1893817/1994-Camaro-Road-Race-Drag-Race-Autocross.html

Needs stiffer springs. Oh wait, he's just driving it like he stole it :) Potential, but I think track prep stang would be better suited to you.

Slick
June 1st, 2010, 09:12pm
must have had better tires, I've heard anything from 2:17 to 2;20...

but in the end He qualified the mustang at a 2:22 last years TP race weekend.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242323

and his best lap came in race 2, 2:20

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1242325

Wasn't an official time, he pulled a 2:16 during a lapping session. Apparently, he did it once, all other laps were 2:17+ with consistent 2:18s. The car runs Michelin slicks so the 2:16 was probably a few laps in on a fresh set of these. (My boss has his car now, that's how I knows).

yanrider
June 3rd, 2010, 07:16pm
si I've been thinking more and I will wait it out (unless I stumble upon a deal I can't resist) due to the fact I would almost never use the stang if I had a track car. I will just try to stay cool and safe as I was and keep on eye on the car. As soon as it starts to show signs of track abuse I will then buy one.

So for now, I'll down tune to 400whp and adjust camber from -2.5 to -3.0 and get HT10 pads.

As an insurance policy, I found I car dolly with a electric winch so I can keep the front wheels off the ground on long HWY drives and also to experiment the car hauling thing. I can't find a good float that lets me open the doors for a descent price. So this will do for now

Big thanks to the Mayor of Perth for picking it up for me! aka Spectrel

RandomHer0
June 3rd, 2010, 09:01pm
Dang, got room for my trailer? lol

yanrider
June 3rd, 2010, 09:05pm
sure, did you get one?

Dang, got room for my trailer? lol

RandomHer0
June 3rd, 2010, 09:12pm
no :(

yanrider
June 3rd, 2010, 09:21pm
this guy has 2...he'll take $400

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/12057483

or

93GTCANADA
June 3rd, 2010, 09:41pm
fack you can build a new one for that price.

awndray
June 3rd, 2010, 09:47pm
If I had the equipment I used to have access to, I'd build one.

Lizard King
June 3rd, 2010, 11:04pm
si I've been thinking more and I will wait it out (unless I stumble upon a deal I can't resist) due to the fact I would almost never use the stang if I had a track car. I will just try to stay cool and safe as I was and keep on eye on the car. As soon as it starts to show signs of track abuse I will then buy one.

So for now, I'll down tune to 400whp and adjust camber from -2.5 to -3.0 and get HT10 pads.

As an insurance policy, I found I car dolly with a electric winch so I can keep the front wheels off the ground on long HWY drives and also to experiment the car hauling thing. I can't find a good float that lets me open the doors for a descent price. So this will do for now

You think you will get that much inside wheel wear with negative 3 on the highway? If your toe is 1/16" from zero... the wear is insignificant. Betcha braking hard at the track will put 10x times the wear on the front tires.

Adam
June 3rd, 2010, 11:45pm
this guy has 2...he'll take $400

or

lol yan

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 08:14am
that and HT10 flying appart, and alot od 94 on the HWY, strapping a gas can do it, putting tools in truck cause I don't want to put in car....lots of little things. And it is to experiment

lol adam

You think you will get that much inside wheel wear with negative 3 on the highway? If your toe is 1/16" from zero... the wear is insignificant. Betcha braking hard at the track will put 10x times the wear on the front tires.

RandomHer0
June 4th, 2010, 08:26am
I think what you want is a happy medium for street/track.

As much as we see the track, the car is still what...80% street?

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 08:33am
so far, this year it has been %80 track...srsly

I think what you want is a happy medium for street/track.

As much as we see the track, the car is still what...80% street?

EricVII
June 4th, 2010, 08:38am
Yea I was gonna say we haven't been out driving much. Anybody out for a drive tonight?

RandomHer0
June 4th, 2010, 08:41am
Actually that is true lol

Way more fun at the track than the street, I guess that's why I (you?) could compromise with a rough street car but awesome track car...

I honestly have NO drive to even be on the street, Im always planning that next track day it seems...

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 08:41am
and I like it this way...the ratio I mean

RandomHer0
June 4th, 2010, 08:43am
Agreed.

Less bickering/planning more "fuck it lets go..."

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 08:45am
yes, what he just said

cricket, cricket

EricVII
June 4th, 2010, 08:57am
Take a rip tonight through the hills?

Lizard King
June 4th, 2010, 09:44am
S. C.O.D. Y. S. S.

:)

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 10:19am
I'll be drinking beers and watching Ambushed while the JBs our doing their thing

Navan is where it's at!

mphysk
June 4th, 2010, 12:20pm
i think you should buy a type r.
the mad torque will keep you in check.

evoly
June 4th, 2010, 05:02pm
Type R's get beat by glorified Cavalier's

Wait for it...

Lizard King
June 4th, 2010, 05:04pm
I'll be drinking beers and watching Ambushed while the JBs our doing their thing

Navan is where it's at!

NAvan Fair?

yanrider
June 4th, 2010, 05:10pm
Navan Street dance..under the domes

evoly
June 4th, 2010, 05:14pm
Your bringing domes??? You think JB have crabs?